Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Tightening Up the Graphics

Comments

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

I play SWTOR on an old Gateway laptop - 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 - and have everything at highest settings except for shadows.  (I always turn off / set low shadows.) 

I have no problems with FPS whatsoever.

We'll see if that changes with the 'fidelity' patch.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Terranah

To put it bluntly, they are lying.  And here's why....

First, we had the hi rez graphics in beta and it was fine.  

Second, they say it's to protect performance in case too many people are on screen.  Never happens.  Typically as I am out adventuring I only see between 1 to 3 other people, ever.  The only exception to this is if I do a flashpoint.  Then I see my other three friends plus maybe 5 or 6 others standing around by the terminals.  But even if a huge mob of say......10 people decided to get together and crash the server.....they could use their zoning tech.  That was the whole point of carving up the world into little tiny pieces wasn't it?

Third, you are seriously trying to tell me this game is more graphically intense on hardware than Age of Conan or Vanguard?  I don't believe it.  But, if it's true then they picked a horrible piece of crap game engine or they have programmers that really suck.

Actually it wasn't fine, there were quite a few bugs associated with it, which is why they removed it in the first place. At least that's what most were saying on the Beta forum.

Only see 5-6 people ever? 10 at most? Hmm Okay... I'll have to take some screenies this weekend of what I see when I'm actually playing with my guild.

Third, who knows?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by voltt

Got a high end computer game runs fine no fps issues.

The game looks great haveing a blast playing

Who F****** cares about the high res textures, enjoy the f****** game

Everyone does.

A lot of the game is cinematic.  When you are forced to look at crappy cinematics your eyes will hurt.

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

Im honestly scared abou this, i cant do warzones my FPS drop from 50 to 10.

I wonder if i will be able to run the game with those changes...

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Hopefully some better textures are put in for the next update .I would like that.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Perhaps Bioware is just catering to the people who seem to care more about claiming they can run a game at max settings than what the game actually looks like at the settings they run it at?

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

This is what Bioware gets for using such a crappy engine.  WAR uses the same modified HERO engine and it ran like crap too, even at lower settings.  If you're too lazy or cheap to make or buy a better engine, then you deserve all the crap that comes your way.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    This is what Bioware gets for using such a crappy engine.  WAR uses the same modified HERO engine and it ran like crap too, even at lower settings.  If you're too lazy or cheap to make or buy a better engine, then you deserve all the crap that comes your way.

GameBryo =/= Hero engine...

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by Vorthanion

If there's one thing you can say about EA/BW, it's definitely that they're cheap. Hundreds of millions to develop the game? That's it!? Come on, guys, get a real budget!

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I find this whole topic quite interesting.  I didn't know that there was an issue with graphics so its kind of surprising.  I run the game maxed out on my gaming laptop and I am getting high FPS constantly, even in higher pop zones.  I don't have an issue with the graphics the way it is currently but, hey, I will take more if I can :)

However if they are advertising the game with graphics that you can't physically have ingame then that is pretty poor marketing, they need to address or at least have a statement on the screenshot stating this is not what you see in the game.

In response to the posts discussing the multiple instances and keeping them zoned to limited number of players. I have to agree about performance and graphics.  If they don't bring in high textures do we really need so many zones?  I feel like I live in a parallel universe. 

AoC has over the top graphics and they are managing pretty good FPS now and the pop since going free has definitely jumped. (I know they have zones but I think now everyone is just one one)

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Originally posted by JeroKane

Originally posted by lizardbones

Since this wasn't really an issue for me, I think they handled it fine. I never thought the graphics looked all that bad. Of course, I'm not running a high end rig so high end settings would probably just tank my system.

You know. These kind of responses just piss me off to no end!

So just because you do not have a High End rig and do not care about graphics, it's automatically fine how Bioware handled it?

I find that highly arrogant and egocentric! Totally disregarding and disrespecting a lot of people out there that DO HAVE High End rigs (some even build a new one specially for this game) and DO CARE about HighRes graphics!

That's why GOOD games have plenty of graphic settings to adjust the graphics to match what YOUR system can handle!

WE WANT the CHOICE ourselves to run the game with HighRes textures and DECIDE ourselves if our system can handle it or not!

Is that too much to ask?  I think not! Especially since the HighRes textures are already there!

yeah i agree with Jero here in most games you have plenty of options to tweak graphics setting and the first thing i noticed when i played SWTOR the first time very limited options .

so yeah we deserve to choose .

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Originally posted by JeroKane

Originally posted by lizardbones

Since this wasn't really an issue for me, I think they handled it fine. I never thought the graphics looked all that bad. Of course, I'm not running a high end rig so high end settings would probably just tank my system.

You know. These kind of responses just piss me off to no end!

So just because you do not have a High End rig and do not care about graphics, it's automatically fine how Bioware handled it?

I find that highly arrogant and egocentric! Totally disregarding and disrespecting a lot of people out there that DO HAVE High End rigs (some even build a new one specially for this game) and DO CARE about HighRes graphics!

That's why GOOD games have plenty of graphic settings to adjust the graphics to match what YOUR system can handle!

WE WANT the CHOICE ourselves to run the game with HighRes textures and DECIDE ourselves if our system can handle it or not!

Is that too much to ask?  I think not! Especially since the HighRes textures are already there!

You are bored with your own life, aren't you ?

On topic, I got a high end rig, and those HD textures are not missing to me. And believe me when I say this, as I'm playing on a 40" in 1080p, 50cm away from my screen. Yes it's freaking huge, friends always say that, but I'm partly a graphist by job, so this is why.

This is also why I can say that the game is interesting enough in other domains for me not to become psychotic because there's a small blurry detail on my warrior gloves.

edit : I'm not saying the game wouldn't look better with HD texs, just saying that some people should really stop feeling so self-entitled to the point of freaking out like this for such a detail.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• orgashorgash Member Posts: 67

EAbioware is all about the $$$ they really do not care about the customers after they made their boxsales thus their statements came after the rushrelease for xmas.

Highrez ran perfectly fine for me in beta and actually less crappy than the newer client with it removed.

They are saving money by not switching back and are happy to take the crap because their lawyers can smackdown anyone trying anything.

I just do not get why people are defending them over this? do you owe them your lives? are they holding your grandmother hostage?  even if you love the game can you not see something wrong in their actions?

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by troublmaker

Everyone does.

A lot of the game is cinematic.  When you are forced to look at crappy cinematics your eyes will hurt.

At least some of us couldn't care less.

The cinematics have always used the high res textures.

Is there anything else you would like to get wrong while claiming to speak for all humanity?

It is explicitely stated that when you are hearing quest materials it drops high res textures.  The only cinematics that get high res are the opening cinematics.

Everyone does.

Why would anyone care in that regard? The high rez textures are used for the "cutscenes".

It is explicitely stated that when you are hearing quest materials it drops high res textures.  The only cinematics that get high res are the opening cinematics.

Those aren't the hi-rez textures people are talking about...

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

I really dont understand why they cant just add an "Ultra" Textures option or something, with a tooltip saying that it will severely impact game performance if your computer is not powerful enough.

Then those that have got high end PCs can have nice graphics, and those that dont can not use the ultra setting.

Obviously a proper fix that will allow better textures AND improve performance, such as they are suggesting in patch 1.2 is preferred, but why not just add the button until they get all the bugs ironed out?

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323

The way Bioware handled this is not smart even if they're being honest.  This was never listed among the known issues at launch, yet we're supposed to believe that this was always a known bug?  Funny how it didn't become an acknowledged known issue until several weeks after people started asking about it and wouldn't go away.  We were talking about this within the first hour of the game going live in Early Access.  The change from Medium to High didn't appear to change the graphics and had no effect on FPS.  After several of us confirmed we were seeing the same thing, it was pretty obvious there was no difference between the settings, and something was bugged.

Bioware, though, tried to make it out that the setting was never intended to be there even though we had all used it in beta, and it was never said in beta that it wasn't supposed to be there.  It just sounds a lot more plausible that they hoped this would just go away or slide until they could fix it, and instead it bit them in the butt.  This doesn't even include the FPS issues that show up for some people on any graphical setting in the Fleet and Warzones.  Are they related and perhaps why High was removed as it would make the game completely unplayable in those zones for some?  Who knows.

Finally, with the fairly widespread recognition of this shortly after launch, how did not one single critical reviewer notice or mention this in their reviews?  Did they not try different settings?  Did they not want to rock the boat?  Too caught up in the hype?  Again, who knows, but it's disappointing that Bioware has been less than forthright about this, and now, a month later, and after breathless reviews, industry sites are finally acknowledging this.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

I'm sorry but the community on this game is worse then Wow's I don't think there is one nice post on the forums within the first 5 pages its nothing but people complaining and whining about everything and anything....

So many people in the TOR community that are wearing tin-foil hats it's not even funny they all think Bioware is out to get em....

It's a terrible cesspool and it actually saddens me.....

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345

This was Bioware's kneejerk reaction to a ton of people reporting crashes.

Everyone does.

At least some of us couldn't care less.

The cinematics have always used the high res textures.

Is there anything else you would like to get wrong while claiming to speak for all humanity?

Here's where we need to explain. As many of you have noted, your character in the game world is rendered using lower resolution textures than inside of cinematic conversation scenes. This was a deliberate decision by the development team. To understand why this was done, I have to briefly talk about MMOs and their engines.

Explicit enough for you?

Well in that case they look like crap.  I don't know how many people I run into whose lips do not move because their faces are too big.  Well, guess that means there's no fix for the main problem I have with the game.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam

Finally, with the fairly widespread recognition of this shortly after launch, how did not one single critical reviewer notice or mention this in their reviews?  Did they not try different settings?  Did they not want to rock the boat?  Too caught up in the hype?  Again, who knows, but it's disappointing that Bioware has been less than forthright about this, and now, a month later, and after breathless reviews, industry sites are finally acknowledging this.

^

This is my issue with the SWTOR graphics, In sort I feel "let down" by those we "trust" to give the skinny on a game, I mean how do you miss graphics on a game?

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I am OK with a new MMO not working as intended out of the box. Stop being 5 year old babies crying for a candy. Give BW 6 months to get all the major bugs fixed like it takes most MMOs to do.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by Praetalus

Originally posted by StSynner

Originally posted by Praetalus

Originally posted by StSynner

Originally posted by MattNe

Its marketing..I mean seriously, have you ever gotten a BigMac that looked as it did on TV?

That defense doesn't hold water in a visual medium. 

There is a HUUUUUUUUGE difference in advertising a game that HAS high res functionality on a top tier beast-mode system so you can show off the pretty graphics and advertising a game that has NO high res funcionality in the same manner. This is  called "bait and switch" and IS illegal. If someone were so inclined they could probably get their cash back for false advertisement.

No... this is not the typical "bait and switch". Bait and switch occurs when a consumer is baited to a certain product, and when they go to buy it, they're told it's not available and are pointed to another product. 

And they could not get their money back for "false advertisement" by screen shots and videos as the "Final Product may differ". My god people. I love how this happens and everyone all of a sudden knows the law. 

Practice more law IMO.

Software companies that initially offer software products or services for free (often under a "Beta" moniker) and at a later point make parts or all of the functionality available in the paid product without communicating that intention from the start are said to employ bait-and-switch tactics.

So they had high res graphical functionality in the FREE open beta. Then when the game went LIVE and people had to PAY for it... they took them out.

These people complaining should have waited until after release and completed more research on the product they were buying if they're going to complain this much. Had they done this, they would have known as this issue was brought up week one. Instead, they ASSUMED that nothing from beta would change and went out to VOLUNTARILY buy the product.

Please show the MMORPG.com forum where this switch is docummented in any forum and/or site in any review or the FACT that Beta was not going to be the released product.  Show me one Bioware statement that they would accept refunds on any product due to changing the game.

You missed the fact that Bioware issued a statement AFTER being exposed by the players.  The whole handeling of this issue reeks of arrogance and ignorance.

• spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148

Originally posted by jdnewell

"The fact that every media screenshot, promo video, in game videos, ect. ect... ALL have textures that the consumer can not achieve in game- no matter what computer setup they have- Is blatent false advertising."

^That is what is really disturbing about this. Ive got one character who has an outfit with parts that CHANGE color going from med to the high rez in the conversations. Planets look far less cool than they could be from orbit. I hate the fuzzy look alot of my outfits have.

And they try to use the jedi mind trick on us "There are no high rez textures"

It and other small things point out the rather low level of customer service ea/bioware is dishing out.

I think this will cost them a significant number of subs this and next week.