Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: F2P Launch Day Trailer

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios have officially launched the free to play iteration of Star Trek Online. To celebrate, the team has released a nifty new launch day trailer. Enjoy!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Yeah Earth Spacedock is full of people at the moment, and sector space is crazy.

Glad to see a huge turnout, hopefully most of them stay for the long haul :)

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

That has always been the bane of Cryptic games, the inability to retain larger numbers of players with their very shallow game play that plays more like a lobby game than an actual persistant world based MMO.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

this trailer almost made me try the game! almost!

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

Very nice trailer. I tried the game for the first time today and liked it more than i thought i would. Gonna stick with it for a while and explore deeper. I think people have nothing to lose for at least trying it out. Worked out for me.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

First 30 mins - High level of character customisation, pretty solid ui responsiveness, space combat interesting keen to see more, standard mmo gameplay with a 'FPS' mode - kinda fun to blast things, skill system allows for a reasonable amount of customisation, pet/companion system with personal growth, walls of text are pretty short and to the point and a few more screens I haven't looked at yet (Episodes and stuff the heart of teh game i think)

If you've played Champions online much of this will look familiar but plays quite differently. If you're sick of WoW clones the ship battle and fps mechanics might keep your interest. For the price it is definitely worth a look.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Never got around to checking STO out, and just so happens I'm not playing anything else, so might as well take a look.

..but what the hell is with these f2p downloaders killing my interenet connection? 

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927

I think ill come check it out. Space combat interests me the most can we mostly stick to it? 

----ITS A TRAP!!!----

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

F2P is a great way to get new people to try a game, and it do let people who played a little around launch to retry it as well.

The questionis really if the game is better now or not, can it keep the players?

Because F2P does not help if the game can't keep the interest of the players up.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

When you talk about fps mechanics is that only within the ship battles?

I assumed this was another tab target game, if not I may give it a try in a week or two when the initial rush dies down.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Great trailer, I just wish the game was half as exiting at this. 

gl to them with f2p though!

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

A few hours in - Quests are a mix of away missions (on the ground with fairly bland kill/collect/activate the thing objectives) and ship skirmishes (space battles - attack/defend things/scan anomalies). 

Ship battles are done in space and are great fun. A good representation of fighting in a 3d space and the star trek weapons themselves (I have not played earlier Star Trek fleet games). Most quest ship battles you'll be able to faceroll but there are times when a battle will require your full attention, best piloting and all your micromanagement skills. There's something like an instanced public quest - 10 players in a fairly small space and lots of ships to kill (this is the lowest level of public quest/first i have come across.)

Away missions send you and your group of officers down to a planet or ship to scan/save/kill some stuff. At this point you can play it like a normal skill mmo by selecting targets and just hitting numbers, the alternative 'fps mode' gives you a targeting reticule, LMB becomes shoot (well it activates skill 1 and shoot there by default), RMB special attack (snipe shot with sniper rifle or aoe cone with a phaser) MMB becomes skill 3, the ability to aim for fast target switching and better accuracy (bullets are still limited by weapon/special attack range) and crouch (unsure if you need to be in fps mode for that)

For me playing away missions in fps mode (is a must) helps me forget that it's a skill mmo and ship battles in public quests may eventually be grindy (like all the others) but still fun if you're in the right mindset. Space environments are varied and feels like a big place (there are these deep space encounters i haven't gone into yet). Away mission environments are fairly uninspired and just kind of feel incomplete.

Crafting is pretty easy to do and lvl as well. You'll come across materials if you use the scanner and then activate some sort of silly wavelength matching minigame to get the loots. Recipes just unlock at appropriate skill levels so only need to spend (cash or time) on materials if you want to.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?