Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unsubbed from SWTOR, trying out Rift.

ArenthasArenthas Member Posts: 85

Hey all,

I recently hit level 50 in SWTOR and was overall disappointed in the immersion, scale, and freedom in the game. It all comes back to grinding for rewards to earn gear. Rift was recommended to me and i've begun playing the trial, and so far i'm enjoying it.  Can some experienced folks enlighten me on the mid to end game content and quality of the game? Is there a lot of unique group and raid dungeons, as well as world pvp? 

How are the play areas in terms of scale? Large? Heavily instanced? From what i've seen so far the starter area looks pretty linear but i've moved on to the next which seems larger, so that looks promising. 

Thanks folks. 

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Same boat here, I was trying to convince myself into a SWTOR sub and even posted here that I was going to give them 30 days.  I was wrong, reinstalled Rift and find it graphically amazing compared to SWTOR.

Rift will be getting my sub instead as I bought it as a prerelease and my highest toon is 25-30ish which is on the locked trial server.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Rift is very linear, but it is a solid, well-polished line. If you participate in rift events while questing, it will make the line seem 'more broken'. 

The world is pretty large, but you have very controlled paths through the zones. All dungeons are instanced. Rift events happen in the persistant world.

My advice is to play all of the available spheres given to you in rift; participate in rift events, solo the quest lines, queue up for pvp and dungeons; repeat in your different class roles. Although Rift is very linear, by participating in all the things the game has to offer, it makes for some nice variety and gives you a lot to do.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

OP, just check out the other posts in this forum. I only played TOR in late betas but I played Rift for over six months. For me, Rift wasn't immersive at all, it's the same generic fantasy style that many themeparks adopt. In the beginning, it's completely linear as you'll go through the same path up to about mid 30s, then you can choose between two different areas to quest through for the last 15 levels or so. The rifts and invasions were initially what were supposed to be the big game changer in this game, however due to the subpar rewards given for completing them they have taken a backseat to raiding.

Make no mistake, this game follows the same pattern as WoW and ToR but without all the frills (the dungeons can be quite fun the first couple of times, but the quests are dull and repetitive). You solo to cap and then grind dungeons for gear until you are geared enough to raid- that's it for PvE. For PvP you get an even more repetitive grind. Fortunately, after I leveled my first toon to cap in standard quest grinding themepark MMO fashion I started leveling alts through instanced PvP only- I found gear didn't matter nearly as much and since I was on a more level playing field than at endgame (which is extremely gear dependent) I had a blast, and that's exactly what I would do until I cancelled my subscription. I'd farm with my capped toon to make money and throw that all towards keeping my PvP leveling toons supplied with gear and potions.

The main things this game has going for it are the wide variety of specs to choose from (min/maxers would disagree but imo you don't have to be the best to still be successful), having the ability to macro combat for many classes (there is quite a bit of bloat when it comes to skills/abilities), and some fun (although copy and pasted and repetitive) instanced PvP. Also, at least while I played, Trion was the best of any game I have played about releasing "new" content and fast, although most of that "new" content consisted of new daily quests and palette-swapped invasions.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Rofl, have fun grinding "world events" for tokens so you can get lackluster rewards.

Oh and RIFT's endgame is just a gear treadmill too. Guess it would have helped if you actually researched what these games were about BEFORE playing them.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I just unsubbed to SWTOR today after hitting 50 with my inquisitor yesterday. To me Rift has a lot of flaws but one aspect it does AMAZING is the social aspect which SWTOR falls really flat.

I miss how much fun i was having with PEOPLE in Rift while in SWTOR i felt really lonely and am just not having as much fun.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

The fun of Rift is what you make it. While leveling from 1-50 can be linear. The world itself is open. You can pvp in-between leveling and start collection ect. Crafting in Rift is very good. Although for the best items for crafting you have to do dungeons.

The versatility of your character is what makes this game shine above the rest. You will have fun just trying out your new specs.

Now to the 50 content. Really there are two dividing lines at 50. Do you want to pvp or do you want pve. I try to mix things up by doing both. t1 and t2 dungeons are fun. Youll notice some of the same dungeons you went through early on are in these brackets. There is a big difference. More bosses, way tougher mobs and much better loot.

At 50 you get to do a series of quests called Chronicles. These give you your planar ascension. Once you receive that, you have to level all over again. Not 1-50, but post 50 you gain planar experience which you use to build stats, abilities ect. Everything you do gives you planar experience. Some faster than others.

For me the real game doesnt even start til I hit 50.

Now to my favorite thing. PVP is quite fun. If you are on a pvp server it may be tough leveling. I would recommend a pve server at first til you get your feet wet. You still get the pvp options, just you dont have to work hard to not get ganked by a 12 year old with a r8 geared rogue. In the Pve worlds you get a choice to flag or not.

I hope you enjoy Rift. I have been playing 8 months now. I enjoy it immemsely! If you are new to rift, make sure to enjoy the content and all the game has to offer. Making a alt and going a second or third round is not as fun as the first time around. That applies with any mmo though. But youll enjoy Rift!

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

I don't see the appeal of Rift other than the customer friendly Trion.  But I will try it when it goes F2P and in between other games.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Cancelled my SWTOR sub also today after getting disconnection after 15 minutes gameplay.

I played Rift and its not much better tbh.

Warhammer in a new jacket a tidbit better but not much.

Resub to WoW untill GW2 is released, god i hope it comes before pandaland with pokemons -_-

Going to dig at some new mmo's like world of tanks and hope its not a pay to win mmo.

Very disapointed again in a new mmo.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I had a fun leveling experience in Rift. Always ran into other people in the world.  The game seemed alive.  End game is like every other MMO: Grind this for this, grind that for that, etc...  I would slow it down and enjoy leveling up. They really did do a great job with the game.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by Mothanos

Cancelled my SWTOR sub also today after getting disconnection after 15 minutes gameplay.

Resub to WoW untill GW2 is released, god i hope it comes before pandaland with pokemons -_-

Going to dig at some new mmo's like world of tanks and hope its not a pay to win mmo.

cancelled aswell just 1 day before payment. guild wars 1 for monument stuff to gw2 but meh. rift, been there done that nothing different than swtor journey to the maximum and then nothing. wow been there since day 1 nothing to do apart from collecting fancy looking armors and swords as paperdoll. so yeah secret world next eh? seems so. 

• i play Rift and love it. i'll say this about leveling though.. it is quick to hit level cap for a reason. this game is designed around being level 50. i've kept a steady sub since launch with no regrets.

like most games you can make leveling not as tedious by changing it up a bit. do some questing, do some rifts, craft or gather, try and do the instance in your level range, do some pvp, etc. once at 50 you'll have a crap ton to do.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I think Rift is quite a fun experience. I hit 50 in the first month of it being out and can honestly say back then endgame wasn't too fun mainly just PvP, hard mode dungeons, and I think 2 raids. Trion has been adding a lot of content over time, and people who are 50 seem to be somewhat pleased with the endgame now, but even then Trion are still working hard to patch in more and more content. 1.7 is bringing new pvp changes if you are into that, and a whole plethora of other content a long with it. The leveling is easy, carrot on a stick style leveling, which I enjoy but a lot of people do not. I think it's a very fun game. Plus Trion has the best customer support I have ever experienced.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by Kaburan

Hey all,

I recently hit level 50 in SWTOR and was overall disappointed in the immersion, scale, and freedom in the game. It all comes back to grinding for rewards to earn gear. Rift was recommended to me and i've begun playing the trial, and so far i'm enjoying it.  Can some experienced folks enlighten me on the mid to end game content and quality of the game? Is there a lot of unique group and raid dungeons, as well as world pvp? 

How are the play areas in terms of scale? Large? Heavily instanced? From what i've seen so far the starter area looks pretty linear but i've moved on to the next which seems larger, so that looks promising. 

Thanks folks. 

Funny, because I played Rift to cap and became overall disappointed in the immersion, scale, and freedom in the game. It all comes back to grinding for rewards to earn gear. Constantly doing the exact same dungeons over and over and over again just to get the next bump on your gear, which will only last you until you can once again bump to the next tier of gear once again, which will only last until......

I wish you luck with Rift though, but I think you're in for the same feeling once you hit cap there too.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• aaorenaaoren Member Posts: 5

I'm subbed to both and will keep the Rift sub. My jury is still out on SWtOR until I hit 50.

I think you will enjoy Rift for what it does well. I like Rift for it's evolving content (honestly, I can't think of a publisher that at the very least tries as hard as Trion), active time rift and zone events, and the ability to jump right into the action in several modes. At 50, Chronicles are fun if you aren't interested in raiding. While the best loot is by raiding, you can get some very good gear through different ways (crafting, zone events, pvp, 5-man dungeons). Open world PvP is fun in most respects. Guilds have some nice perks that are worth working towards. Ember Isle is a decent endgame zone and I enjoyed doing some Onslaughts here and there. The endgame planar attunement system keeps your character progression interest going to a fair degree. Comparitively, I found SWtOR questing to be more enjoyable and immersive. Rift's UI is superior to SWtOR. Neither game's crafting system is really exceptional. The graphics are comparable in many areas. I would give the SWtOR soundtrack the edge overall, but there are a few very good tracks in Rift.

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

does rift offer a trial? i also unsubbed from SW 1/12 weeks into it and im not going back....

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

If you don't like grinding for stuff then Rift isnt' for you either...

Endgame for both games is pretty similar..

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Laughing-man

What the hell mmo with more then 12 subs does not have some type of gear grind at end game?If you got the balls to say Eve I will piss my pants laughing. There is no mmorpg in existence that does not.

Hell I am half way tempted to say you ultra casuals would say Farmville and My Little Pony Adventure Island have grinds.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Laughing-man

What the hell mmo with more then 12 subs does not have some type of gear grind at end game?If you got the balls to say Eve I will piss my pants laughing. There is no mmorpg in existence that does not.

Hell I am half way tempted to say you ultra casuals would say Farmville and My Little Pony Adventure Island have grinds.

Yeah I agree, I'm not sure what kind of game people want if they dont' want a grind, I mean thats pretty much what an mmo is...

Ever since UO when I was sparing to raise my fencing and first aid skill for days and days and days inside my friends keep with him....

yep grinding.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

In my 40's in TOR.  I love it because its Star Wars, but is that enough?  Not sure yet.

Seriously considering playing Rift.  I enjoyed the beta. They have nice looking avatars and world, and it does give you some options in builds.  Some nice hair styles too, unlike TOR.

But maybe I'll just wait for GW2.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

I wonder if there was something subliminal inserted into TOR that makes one want to try out Rift.

While playing TOR I kept thinking "hmm, I might want to give Rift another try."

So weird! 

• HinchaHincha Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by Scypheroth

does rift offer a trial? i also unsubbed from SW 1/12 weeks into it and im not going back....

Yes it does: http://eu.riftgame.com/en/

• kroz318kroz318 Member UncommonPosts: 26

Rift is like $10 at walmart and pretty sure that comes with the 30 day trial so...Why not? =p

• ArenthasArenthas Member Posts: 85

Well I don't mind grinding as long as there is a strong social atmosphere, which is why I enjoy MMO's. In SWTOR, you felt like you were playing a new sequel to KOTOR. Felt like a single player game. 

• alilsneakyalilsneaky Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by Mothanos

First of all World of tanks isn't an mmo at all.

It's counter strike with tanks + spotting mechanics and having to unlock tanks.

If WoT is an mmo then so is that awful game call of duty...

The game isn't pay2win, but it's also not free to play.

Once you get past tier 6 tanks you will need a subscription to be able to make enough money to buy more tanks, once you get to tier 8+ you'll need a sub just to maintain your tanks and an expensive gold tank (they aren't exactly stronger but they get much more credits after matches / dmg done so they make good money) to buy new tanks.

It's a pretty good game though.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Same applys to me.

I´m still playing SWTOR...didn´t level cap yet but starting to get bored already...

is not that is a bad game....it just doesn´t feel like a MMORPG to me.

One of the things i like in RIFT is that visualy is beautyful...and most of all: IT DOES feel like a MMORPG !!

with all the major invasions and big Raids running all over... in a"dynamic" open alive world.

The dissapoint that i found in RIFT was the Raid centered endgame.... but it´ll be the same in SWTOR anyway...

and Trion is really trying hard to give a lot more options to alternate leveling than just raids...

I´ll be back in 1 month more...