Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Should SOPA Be Stopped?

Comments

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Originally posted by Cacaphony
    I guess no one noticed this
    Shelving is a tactic they use to get things pushed through with little fanfair when everyone stops paying attention.  This does not mean SOPA is dead.  It must be nuked from orbit.

Yeah, I know. I agree with you as well. See the vid I linked earlier.

• xenoracexenorace Member UncommonPosts: 205

Stopping online piracy...bah! Almost anybody willing to download a torrent and install a game they did not pay for is more then likely not going to buy the game anyways. So either way the publisher and devs loose out. This may not always be the case, but coming from personal experience I would say this is not to far from the truth.

I would love to see offenders prosicuted. Millions of people act in online piracy in some shape, form, or fashion daily. Are they going to slap thousands of dollars worth of finds on everybody and send the big offenders to federal prison? I think not. The USA prison system is already overcrowded with minor drug offenders (most of which were marijuana offenders).

S.C.I.F.I
    <Sights, Clouded, In, False, Illusions>

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Sadly the US Government doesn't seem to give a s**t about the people anymore... "We the people" has changed to "We the corporations". Would appear the Government is turning us into a communist state.

• Master_MetzMaster_Metz Member Posts: 15

SOPA and PIPA should scare the hell out of anyone that wants to make a career from the Internet. The simple fact is that currently under the Safe Harbor Act, websites and online services are not responsible for the actions of the users. This means that if someone posts a pirated video on mmoprg.com, or posts pictures from a game in closed beta, mmoprg.com is not responsible. SOPA and PIPA would make it so that any site that COULD potentially have copyrighted material can be blacklisted and taken down. Scary stuff.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Lexin

Sadly the US Government doesn't seem to give a s**t about the people anymore... "We the people" has changed to "We the corporations". Would appear the Government is turning us into a communist state.

You have it backwards. Fascism is the marriage of corporation and state.

• AlkozathAlkozath Member Posts: 37

i feel for the ppl living in USA if this goes through, but internet gonna live on. companies like google/facebook etc are just gonna move to another country so it wont do much impact tbh. only thing is that US gonna loose a lot of jobs and income that it despretly need.

• shozikushoziku Member UncommonPosts: 95

the individual issues highlighted in SOPA are only there to confuse the public.  This bill is actually about the corporate takeover of the world governments.  the US govt is bought and paid for by the entertainment industry.  Hollywood calls the shots folks and this is their flagship.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

I hope everyone on this site has a clue and is AGAINST these acts...

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Originally posted by Cacaphony

I guess no one noticed this

Glad to hear it!

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Well see, that's the problem, they do still care about people, but unfortunately they only seem to care about a very specific segment of people... Said persons are corprorations.

Well, any sane and reasonable person knows that corporations not by any means people. But legally they are, which is a large part of the problem.

That's not to say corporations are inherently evil. They do what they're meant to do, produce goods and create profit. The problem is that they strive for this at the expense of all else. It's supposed to be part of the government's function to reign in and keep corporations under control through proper regulation. But corporations are being afforded too much freedom due to being considered "persons", and also in part of this they are also allowed to have too much political influence through lobbying and donations... so instead of the government keeping corporations under check and keeping the interest of the people in mind, we instead have corporations keeping the government in check and keeping the interest of the corporations in mind.

And SOPA and PIPA are borne from this corruption of the political process. These bills were solely created with the purpose and intent to benefiting large corporations who have inordinate sway over the US government, and it's all being done at the expense of the people.

So to answer the articles question of, "should SOPA be stopped?" I'll respond with the following question which should have much the same answer... do we value freedom against oppression?

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

Piracy cannot be stopped. SOPA will do nothing other than make things for legit users more time consuming, difficult, and annoying.

Even second-hand websites like craigslist and eBay are effected by this:

EXAMPLE:

"

Corporate supporters of HR3261 (SOPA) and S968 (PIPA) demand the ability to take down any web site that affects their profits -- without due process or judicial oversight -- in the name of combating "online piracy." Hoping you won't notice or care, quite a few of our Public Servants want to give them that right.

Believe it or not, Monster Cable (remember "Monster Park"?) considers craigslist a "rogue site" for blacklisting and takedown under PIPA - apparently 2nd hand sales of stereo cables by CL users is reducing Monster's sales of new cables. (reddit)."

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

Max Kaiser would argue that these bills are illegal in the first place, lol.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

Some time ago, a study was conducted to determine how many laws America has and the results were unable to be established.  I think a law needs to be passed stating that no further laws can be passed....ever!  Or for every new law passed, they have to remove five others.  Don't get me wrong, I love my country but I'm starting to think communist countries have more freedom.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Um what?

I'm with you on the 1st sentence. The 2nd seems to indicate a sentiment contrary to the first. Communism is the most anti-corporate governing system.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

At this point, the house bill as it currently exists has been pulled. The White House has issued an official veto threat. But given that Big Content owns so many politicians back in Mordor on the Potomac, this is likely only a delay while they regroup, and make some behind closed door deals.  

Make no mistake, Big Content, like many of the other major lobbies will eventually get at least some of what it demands. Its only a matter of time, and dealing with the various counter lobby groups. They really do NOT care what the general population thinks about any of this. All that matters in these situations, is the power of those lobby groups that oppose them (for their own vested interests). 

All the internet protests, and letter writing in the world wouldn't have delayed something like this, if it hadn't been backed by the lobbists massively funded by Google, among others.  Power will out, mores the pity. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by astoria

Um what?

I'm with you on the 1st sentence. The 2nd seems to indicate a sentiment contrary to the first. Communism is the most anti-corporate governing system.

I like to explain it to my kids like this . Fascism is the marriage of Corporation and State, Communism is the divorce of Corporations and state, but the government throws them in jail for back child support payments.

• CambruinCambruin Member UncommonPosts: 72

Oh come on. Freedom against oppression? When people/companies invest time into a project, expecting to be able to make a living of it, do you consider it normal for a bunch of college-dropouts and teenagers to simply download their products? You're not only stealing from these multi-billion $ corporations. You're also stealing from their employees, who may run out of jobs because their titles didn't sell well enough. You're stealing from small-time independant artists who may not get enough revenue for their next project, forcing them to quit their line of work.

Freedom against oppression? If violent thugs start having daily raids on whatever area, would you be surprised when law-enforcement applies zero tolerance? Freedom against oppression?

These illegal activites have to be stopped. If 'SOPA' is what it takes to do it, then so be it. Blame your fellow leeches for it. I know I am. I don't like that SOPA any more than they do, but I have it enforced upon me because of their selfishness and downright stupidity.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Zekiah

Remember remember the 5th of November...

The plot itself or the fact it failed? Not really getting the whole point of the post...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Zekiah

Remember remember the 5th of November...

...Gunpowder, treason and plot. :)

"I see no reason, the gun powder treason should ever be forgot"... ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

lol I wonder if pipa pass how will people think about having the same censor china have :)

really if pipa now pass, using the sopa as a courtain to shiled it from most people, it tell a lot about the people of that country.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by Cambruin

Oh come on. Freedom against oppression? When people/companies invest time into a project, expecting to be able to make a living of it, do you consider it normal for a bunch of college-dropouts and teenagers to simply download their products? You're not only stealing from these multi-billion $ corporations. You're also stealing from their employees, who may run out of jobs because their titles didn't sell well enough. You're stealing from small-time independant artists who may not get enough revenue for their next project, forcing them to quit their line of work.

Freedom against oppression? If violent thugs start having daily raids on whatever area, would you be surprised when law-enforcement applies zero tolerance? Freedom against oppression?

These illegal activites have to be stopped. If 'SOPA' is what it takes to do it, then so be it. Blame your fellow leeches for it. I know I am. I don't like that SOPA any more than they do, but I have it enforced upon me because of their selfishness and downright stupidity.

I agree with this.  

On the other hand:  I wish I lived such a drama-free life that I could convince myself that this is the most important cause I can take up.    I kind of envy the "They are trying to oppress us!" people.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

also dude take a note, sopa will not stop piracy, the most it can do is make it more difficult to happen, but it still will, be it ofline, be it by p2p programs, or even fake adress to hide real things, also take note it would only block the us, others country wouldn't care, or can't policy it the same way.

plus google and facebook are against it (its not just these 2, just gonna mention then) and with just this 2 saying they would just leave us out would kill the internet for most of people, keeping all teh good things internet make go to a waste, and I don't doubt if this kind of thing pass, they will try to push to break internet neutrality again.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

Please explain.  If I go to x retail store and purchase x music cd or x game, take it home and listen/play and my son, daughter, wife also listens/play it, Should the law / Gov be involved?  If so, then the entire country is in breach and if thats the case then the majority must be ok with it.  If not, then whats the differance if a family member listens / plays with it or if it's placed on the internet for everyone to do the same?  Take WoW as and example, our family has had two accounts, each accout allow for multiple toons.  I allow each of my kids to make a toon and play when they want.  Does this mean it wrong?  For Blizzard maybe.  For me no. 

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Piracy is already forbidden, people still do it.

There is no government act that can stop it, it's pointless. I haven't seen a single game apart from subscription based MMO's that hasn't been pirated or could be pirated. And even online games get private servers if they're popular enough. Publishers of digital products should realise that they're going to have to come up with new sorts of business models to stop piracy.

Secondly, yes, it's an infringement on copyright, which is forbidden. But companies still make money if they put good decent products out there. Personally, I've pirated a couple of games, but I really wouldn't say my budget spent on buying games would be much larger if I hadn't pirated those games. There is just such a large amount of stuff out there, that it's near impossible to keep up with everything, it's also hard to determine what you will or will not like.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

Piracy will never be terminated. Big piracy started with IRC networks to newsgroups, to programs like napster, bearshare, kazaa, to torrent websites.

It will be like war against terror: A TOTAL MONEY-WASTING FAILURE.

Obvious portals like torrent websites will be closed etc. But what about legit websites like filefront, megaupload, cnet, photobucket. These entities have so much material and SOME of it is user-uploaded pirated software. Shut those down because of the "chance" of piracy?

Do we shut down YouTube as well because some users upload pirated movies and music?