Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth getting into this game?

EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

The title basically sums it up. Is it worth paying $40 for the game and $15 a month to play it? There looks to have been alot of good changes since release for the better. I read a fair bit on the game so I understand that its currently in prelude stage with world building and exploration the main focus. Is it about time to dive in and get dirty? :-)

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

Comments

• SaintbobSaintbob Member Posts: 27

If what you want, is what you said in your post. Then absolutely jump right in now, and join in with the world building.

I have 3 accounts now, all paying subs and I dont regret it.

Plus the communication from the Development team is great, and they listen to the players which is nice.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

The lack of responses tells me population is very low in Xsyon. For a sandbox box game low population can easily kill the experience. Something tells me if I buy this game I'll find myself solo, gathering and crafting for my house until I get bored and cancel my sub.

The concept seems great but the lack of population and lack of things to do other then build could possibly kill this game before they even get past prelude...is that a rough assumption of the future of Xsyon?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Ethian
    The lack of responses tells me population is very low in Xsyon. For a sandbox box game low population can easily kill the experience. Something tells me if I buy this game I'll find myself solo, gathering and crafting for my house until I get bored and cancel my sub.
    The concept seems great but the lack of population and lack of things to do other then build could possibly kill this game before they even get past prelude...is that a rough assumption of the future of Xsyon?

It could be that the people playing the game don't post here.

Xyson has some screen shots up of some fairly extensive player built structures. Very few shots with actual players, but somebody had to put all those buildings and fences together.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Really... if money isn't an issue. I would say yes. I paid the $40, subbed for a month or two, then quit. But the experience was still unique and great, and you know what, extremely memorable. VERY memorable, I remember more about Xsyon than I remember about the last month of playing SWTOR. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107
    Played it for a couple months...
    ...great idea and vision for a game, though it didn't seem ready to play. Calling it a prelude didn't change the (reasonable) expectation of most that the game be playable/fun.
    By the time I quit, it was a ghost town.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I paid a lot less for it before it kind of released.

The gathering and crafting can be very repetitive but its cool at the end once you have built a for or somthing..

I dont think i would pay $40 and then a monthly sub for it at the moment, saying that the small dev team is very active and they do interact with the community... I guess if you want to support them and give the game a go then hell yeah give it a go.

Originally posted by Meltdown

Really... if money isn't an issue. I would say yes. I paid the $40, subbed for a month or two, then quit. But the experience was still unique and great, and you know what, extremely memorable. VERY memorable, I remember more about Xsyon than I remember about the last month of playing SWTOR. 

This is my feeling as well. The idea behind the game and direction NG is going could make for an epic gaming experience. Other then minecraft I don't think theres another MMO that lets you manipulate the landscape. Whether population is low or not, something sounds very cool about building my own living area. Even if I do cancel within 2-3 months I can still return down the road. The more I read about this game the more I want to try it..seems to be one of the most unique MMOs around right now.

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

i recently bought th game and im now regreting it....i love sandbox games and thi sgame is a great if not best sandbox but needs alot of work...the population is gawdawful low but the ppl that r on are very helpful. Now is it worth 40 bucks? i say no...29.99 maybe but the sub fee should be waved or lowerd.

Its a good game dont get me wrong BUT the time it takes to get anywhere is bonkers...they give u plans to make things u cant even make cuz u dont have the tools...and to get the tools u must grind reallly hard and cross your fingers that u get the plan on your next skill lvl up.(plans are random and u wont always get one every lvl nor the one u want i found that out the hard way and ppl telling me in game)

to sum it up. game is a great hardcore sanbox.

population is low but the pl who play are great ppl

graphics r ok....alot of unpolished buggy areas.

the learnign curve is steep...but not as steep as MO :p

i give this game a sandbox score of 8.5/10

with a lil polishing here n there terrain wise i would give it a 9

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

how's the new "twitch combat" system?

this part has me very interested.

is it all melee?  any ranged/magic?

do you manually block, parry and step out of attacks?

manual crosshair aiming?

how's the mob AI?

couldn't find any youtube videos showing the new combat last i looked (admittedly not recently).

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

for one there is no magic in this game thank god....and the conbat system is good not great....i havent gotten into a pvp fight nore a battle with a beast.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by lizardbones

Xyson has some screen shots up of some fairly extensive player built structures. Very few shots with actual players, but somebody had to put all those buildings and fences together.

Population is indeed small but dedicated. The problem I had with the game is that building and crafting are really the only things to do. Combat is so/so but there is really not many mobs to fight and the pvp, while there, is pointless. There is really no reason to fight another player at the monent.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

Well after watching some youtube videos tonight I'm still very interested. Its the $40 and $15 a month price thats making me hesitate. I think I'd enjoy the game for what it is now, which basically looks like building and making a place to call home. Theres is a good chance that I may get bored if thats all there is to do though. Is there no open world pvp currently? What can someone expect if they go out exploring looking to get into some trouble?

• MannyManaMannyMana Member UncommonPosts: 121

It is worth it if you want to invest in the future. But as it is right now it will take some creativity and imagination to stay interested. Not too much content and features but it is the only fully sandbox mmo game currently out (And by sandbox I mean you can literraly alter terrain).

• MrDDTMrDDT Member UncommonPosts: 276

If you are looking for great PVP, or PVE. Move along and wait about 6 to 12 months.

If you are looking for a world you can change, terraform build up. Xsyon is a great game for you. Its not going to happen overnight and there is some time to be spent into it. Ive spent 100s if not 1000s of hours building up a city/tribal area and its been great fun.

PVE, and the PVP are boring, flawed, lackluster, pointless, rare, and just not very fun. However, the game is getting better not only all around, but also in combat/AI/PVP areas.

-MrDDT

Originally posted by Scypheroth

for one there is no magic in this game thank god....and the conbat system is good not great....i havent gotten into a pvp fight nore a battle with a beast.

thanks for responding, but i'm curious how you'd even know if its good if you haven't fought anything yet?  8)

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by kakasaki

Originally posted by lizardbones

Population is indeed small but dedicated. The problem I had with the game is that building and crafting are really the only things to do. Combat is so/so but there is really not many mobs to fight and the pvp, while there, is pointless. There is really no reason to fight another player at the monent.

if the combat was actually fun, thats all the "reward" i would need from it.  i don't need to be rewarded some points/faction/loot or anything other than a fun and fair battle where both players have equal/equalish opportunities to win based on real life skills.   it is a full loot game tho right?  if somebody is killed the killer can take anything on the victim's corpse?

i've never seen a good melee fightin system outside of "fighting games" (or maybe Die By The Sword) tho, so if there is no ranged combat at all, then it probably has no hope of satisfying me.

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by MrDDT

If you are looking for great PVP, or PVE. Move along and wait about 6 to 12 months.

If you are looking for a world you can change, terraform build up. Xsyon is a great game for you. Its not going to happen overnight and there is some time to be spent into it. Ive spent 100s if not 1000s of hours building up a city/tribal area and its been great fun.

PVE, and the PVP are boring, flawed, lackluster, pointless, rare, and just not very fun. However, the game is getting better not only all around, but also in combat/AI/PVP areas.

so the recent combat upgrade to "twitch combat" doesn't seem to be much different from the old combat?

real life skills are not much of a factor still?

just 2 people standing toe to toe mashing an attack button as fast as they can with no point in dodging/blocking attacks, etc?

Corpus Callosum    

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well after watching some youtube videos tonight I'm still very interested. Its the $40 and $15 a month price thats making me hesitate. I think I'd enjoy the game for what it is now, which basically looks like building and making a place to call home. Theres is a good chance that I may get bored if thats all there is to do though. Is there no open world pvp currently? What can someone expect if they go out exploring looking to get into some trouble?

There is open world pvp and its full loot, well at least it was when i played.

The only safe zones are your clan areas.

I did log on to try the new combat system and it really was not that much better than the origional one. They have a long way to go befroe the system is any good.

The devs are pretty active so thats a good thing. I think at the moment $40 is asking a lot..

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Why speculate and not trying it out by yourself? Whats the point of this? A game is an experience, not a theoretical philosophy lesson.

Originally posted by crunk001

Why speculate and not trying it out by yourself? Whats the point of this? A game is an experience, not a theoretical philosophy lesson.

i guess there's no point....... as soon as you send me the $40 or $50 that it costs.  

the only reason that i ask is that you STILL haven't sent it.

Corpus Callosum    

• MirokataMirokata Member Posts: 107

In short, no, it is not worth it.

40$ + 15$/mo is a ridiculous overvalueing of the game and development.

The world has already been thoroughly built and explored by previous players. "Prelude" should have been over months ago.

• DonevDonev Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by Mirokata

In short, no, it is not worth it.

40$ + 15$/mo is a ridiculous overvalueing of the game and development.

The world has already been thoroughly built and explored by previous players. "Prelude" should have been over months ago.

I played Prelude or the Prelude to Prelude over a year and a half ago. Having tried the game out in the past few months on a friend's account (after I told him not to), VERY little has changed. 

By VERY little, I mean.... I could barely tell a difference. 

• nkitznkitz Member Posts: 69

A lot has changed recently if you keep up with the forum and game updates you'll see a ton of new content has been added to the game including a increase in creature count which makes things a little harder for those without the skill. :D It's well worth a try and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a change.