Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: What is a “WoW Killer?”

Comments

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Jack_Target

Panda monks are the WoW killer for me. Of all the cool ideas Blizzard could have chosen, why this?

I suspect a branding PR company came up with this idea.

They're from Warcraft 3. They're nothing new.

• devilnursouldevilnursoul Member Posts: 49

After quitting WoW for 4 years, I have just now returned. I dont rush through games, and tend to read every bit of text given to me. Therefore, Cataclysm was very refreshing. It is like meeting up with an old friend again, and catching up on what has happened over the years. After trying just about everyting on the market, WoW is the only game that can cater to my playstyle. I work 12, sometime 13 hour days, yet I am able to log in to WoW 2 hours a night and feel a sense of accomplishment. Even though there are other games on the market that may be able to do the same thing, there are none that have the amount of content offered by Blizzard. 

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168

Originally posted by finnmacool1

What the hell is wrong with you posting that picture of "road kill" in a gaming thread? Is a flattened dead animal with its guts showing really needed to make a point?

Agreed. That picture was a display of extremely tasteless humor. There are plenty of other ways (graphical or not) mr. Sanicky could use in order to get his point across.

• usagichan77usagichan77 Member Posts: 13

WOW has 10 million subscriptions, its massive.

But to make a good game and keep it you don't need 10 million subscriptions to keep, it is totally not neccesarry. Even 1 million is a lot.

There are lots of good succesful games, even free ones earning thousand times less, and still having players enjoying the game.

The end to WoW will come but it has made soo much money that I'm sure they actually don't even care anymore, im sure in the darkness they are making a WoW 2.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Activision. Sorry, couldn't resist that.

• Why would you want WoW to be killed? It may be the biggest MMO, but it is certainly not the best LOL. Good developers can do with less money and create something more fun. More content and all. Kkthxbye!

• gothmog56gothmog56 Member Posts: 46

WOW is like a dinosaur,it's dead just hasn't realized it yet. what is the news about wow,nothing. the graphics have longed sucked,the story was ,there was a story?gameplay was bad.frankly i never did see the big love of wow. for so many people,why did the servers seem empty?

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

When blizzard inevitable creates a new WoW MMORPG that will be the current generation WoW killer I have no doubt, in 5 - 10 years tech like CryEngine 2 will be low spec, if they improve on their tech to this level and pickup the mechanics that they have now and improve on them from the start I have no doubt it will be a game many ppl will play.

But for now "Titan" seems to be the next best thing on the horizon, I dont know what it is but I am pretty sure I will buy it, cause it will carry the polish of blizzard games and provide fun levels through the roof.

There are a few nice things on the horizon, GW2, TERA, ArchAge just to name a few but I doubt they will pull any players from the WoW crowd I can see them having the sort of moderate success SWTOR has.

Blizzard to me is like Apple in a sense they have a formula that just works for their fanbase, and its unlikely someone is going to buy another game whether or not some more hardcore audience thinks is better if its not made by them, the same way most ppl that have an IPhone wont buy a Samsung Galaxy Nexus even tho it has much higher specs and most ppl consider it to be better. Its all about brand awareness and the platform that they provide which ppl enjoy.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I used to think that time would be the "WoW killer", but as I see the younger generation leave the game to start living their life, I'm seeing new players in their 30's and 40's come in to replace them.  Usually this is the first MMO they've even tried and they seem to like it and tell their friends to try it.   I see Warcraft only picking up steam with a new age group. 

• xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350

i cant even get why it's needed a WoW-killer...........let the game die naturally, in the meantime enjoy the new games that come and stop worrying about Blizzard........that focus could be used in other things, every game has to die someday, let Blizzard enjoy their time until the innovative MMOs start to absorb their users......

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

There were times when there was only one brand of beer sold in the shop... it is obvious there will be plenty of WoW killers in a few years and focusing on different aspects of the game but better. Personaly I am tired of the monotonous end-game. It is plain stupid to run the same dungeons 20 times. There is only one solution: random dungeons like in roguelikes. Replayability is huge.

• halo_0_1halo_0_1 Member Posts: 8

If you count LoL, you might as well count RuneScape. I hear RS currently has 10 million active accounts per month.

• SlayraSlayra Member UncommonPosts: 24

The "roadkill" pricture wasn't needed.

• EnochiEnochi Member UncommonPosts: 12

Originally posted by maplestone

The only question to me is whether WoW's dynesty will outlive the genre.  No D&D killer ever emerged in the pencil and paper world - the entire genre eventually faded into the background first.  Will the MMO industry eventually fade into the background as well, even as a plethora of niche games reach market?

Uh to point out since DnD realeased its 4th ed. Plenty of other role playing systems have been gaining ground namely, Gurps, D20 modern, Pathfinder, Shadowrun, and Star wars Sagas as main contenders.

• mentalnekomentalneko Member Posts: 18

What we really need is an MMO that is unlike any MMO and like every MMO. A revival of the genre if you mind. We need a virtual world much like in Ultima and SWG where plenty of people can play for different reasons and still get something huge out of it all. A game that bridges realism with fantasy and connects the players in such a way unseen. We need an MMO that allows the raiders to raid, the pet groomers to groom pets, the achievement hunters to hunt, player killers to kill, bounty hunters to hunt, and socialites to be social! But have them all depend on each other in such a way unseen in gaming history. Incorporate an MMO circle of life, the living breathing online game everyone can come and enjoy.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

More people DONT play WOW than play WOW

Make a MMO that is nothing like WOW to attract them

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

As J. Nash would oftenly say: " I see dead people!"...or..wait...errr...

First lets define what a "killer" is. Googling it and Mr. online wizard says:

1. One that kills: a disease that was a killer of thousands; a killer of new ideas.

2. Slang Something that is extremely difficult to deal with or withstand: an exam that was a real killer.

adj.

1. Causing death or destruction: killer floods.

2. Slang Having impressive or effective power or impact; formidable: had a killer smile; made killer profits.

killer [?k?l?]

n

a. a person or animal that kills, esp habitually

b. (as modifier) a killer shark

2. (Mathematics & Measurements / Units) something, esp a task or activity, that is particularly taxing or exhausting

3. Austral and NZ an animal selected to be slaughtered for food.

So, we can deprehend that, and looking at the various possibilities, that in fact a WoW killer would have to be a disease that would kill thousands of subscriptions (if Chuk Norris allows it ofc), a flood of death and destruction with effective power or impact, resulting on killer profits, something like a killer shark that would be eventually killed for food.

Reading what i just wrote i can only think of 2 scenarios:

- a Tsunami or earthquake or some major natural force that would utterly destroy all WoW servers;

- a Blizzard (and i dont mean the snowstorm);

End of discussion.

• Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

How to be a WoW killer...

Stop being a WoW imitator.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, "Wow is already good at being WoW". People who truly love like WoW will NOT choose your game over WoW because WoW is closer to WoW than your WoW clone can ever be. The best you can hope for is to pick up WoW's scraps that have either become burnt-out on WoW, or didn't like WoW much to begin with.

I can agree with this,

Only problem is then we have all the people who say great new game but now can you add( Easy mode dungeons,LFG tools, mods,faster travel from a-z, barber shops,duel spec, ect...

Guess you see my point.

I myself would love an old school EQ1 game but not have the quests where you need to stare at a tree for 48 hours waiting for a MoB who may or may not spawn to drop a ring you need. If they can do that,i'd be happy.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

I hate writters.  That wasa page of nothing.  From the title I expected to read a list of features that would define the game the killed WoW.  Instead I read a writters description of each strand of lint plucked from his navel.  The true Title of thisa waste of time and space; "A list of the ways gamers will not define the demise of WoW."

I was playing PlanetSide when SWG came out.  I was playing SWG when WoW came out.  On that day I was the one player on my SWG server, 1 player.  Wow has over 400 servers, when that number drops to 300 I'll know the end has begun.  When that number hits 200, ALL you writters will say, "See we tiold you it was gonna happen and you didn't beleve us."  When it reaches 100, the beast will be dead.  Until that day, I will continue to play and enjoy WoW.

Server population and merger will hereld the end, the rest of your list is just meaningless stinky smelling BS.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• verechterverechter Member Posts: 3

Hmm yea i kind agree with the article but NONETHELESS i "hope" for a WoW killer(as in a single game), not becouse i wanto see WoW dead (well that too>.>), but because such a game is what i yearn for and desperaly want to play.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

you dont need to write a book about it, a wow killer is anything as a result of competition that results in originally, innovation and superior quality for the customer and generates revenue for the company that developed it (improvement, not copying)

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Never understood that urge of so many people, to think about anything as "killer" of something else. IMO, they have problem between their ears.

So, I really love swtor, but hope it never kills wow as I love also a lot wow. And I also hope nor swtor nor wow kills Rift as I love also a lot Rift.

I have been always in search for something fun to play in spare time. Enjoying a lot wow, then rift, ... never prevented me to try all new games. But so far my epic search end with this trio: wow, swtor and rift. And for the first time, and have been playing really a lot, once I got this trio of really superb games .... I finnaly do not feel any strong need for more.

For long years to come as it looks all I will need will be this trio with future expansions. As I'm altholic, I will be more then busy even without endgame.

• MacroHardMacroHard Member Posts: 104

"WoW killer" is simply another MMO that will improve on the genre (in large ways) and siphon off enough WoW players causing more to follow suit no matter how much more garbage Blizzard can churn out until the ol' cow is finally dried up.

• happyfartshappyfarts Member UncommonPosts: 94

I'm a tad confused on this question, which seems to interest a lot of people.

But are they interested because they want an mmo that can compete or suprsede WoW with a fresh take on things? Or do they want to see a break-away from the theme-park trend?

I still think WoW is the most solid MMO I've played to date, more fully-fleshed so to speak.

My biggest disappointments in WoW how they shamelessly raped Warcraft's fantastic lore, built off of the RTS genre. They've really milked it dry and, I for one, would really like to lay the poor soul to rest, what's left of it.

I want a WoW-killer because I want a game that can deliver the same level of quality, and at the same time break away from the theme-park trend and step onward into the brave new world of sandbox

I don't give a damn whether WoWs dies or lingers, my one and only concern is that the MMO devs grow a pair and stop recycling the same package. And yes I see some peopl are finally testing new boundaries, like SWTOR and GW2, to name 2

Ah fuck this topic, I'm tired of hearing about WoW. I hope Blizzard drop their daycare centre act for Titan

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

WoW killer is due to come out this summer. It's called Mists of Panderia