Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Play the Game or Play the System?

kashiegamerkashiegamer Online City, NYPosts: 263Member

As this post pointed out, some people play the game as is, while some others play the system. As the author said, some players immerse themselves to a gameworld, while other players spend their time in trying to come up with the best stats to beat a game. Which of the two are you?

Original article:

My Blog About Hellgate Global, an ARPG/FPS hybrid MMO:
http://kashiewannaplay.wordpress.com/

Hellgate Global Official Fan Blog
http://t3funhellgate.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hellgate Global, LoL, Skyrim, Morrowind
Recently Played: Cardmon Hero, Cabal, Oblivion

Comments

• AxehiltAxehilt San Francisco, CAPosts: 8,743Member Uncommon

I voted system, but honestly I fall right in the middle (probably leaning towards the game side.)

The game has to be fun before it's even worth playing the system outside the game.  With some games that's the case (WOW), with others not (EVE).  

"Joe stated his case logically and passionately, but his perceived effeminate voice only drew big gales of stupid laughter..." -Idiocracy
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Macomb, ILPosts: 3,586Member

Games ARE systems. Systems are restrictions. Pushing the boundaries of those restrictions, or competing within the boundaries of those restrictions is the very definition of a game. If you're playing a game, then you're playing the system.

• XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,919Member Uncommon

The best time I have is playing around with friends.  At that point, there's little concern with game or system.  The people are more entertaining than either.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com
  • maplestonemaplestone Ottawa, ONPosts: 3,099Member

Both.  I want to get lost in the game and find my way out by learning the systems.

• QuirhidQuirhid TamperePosts: 5,969Member Common

Both and depends on the game, but I can't enjoy the "game" if the "system" is bad.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• solarinesolarine IstanbulPosts: 1,203Member

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

Games ARE systems. Systems are restrictions. Pushing the boundaries of those restrictions, or competing within the boundaries of those restrictions is the very definition of a game. If you're playing a game, then you're playing the system.

Nah. Games are based on systems, but players can and do suspend awareness of the math behind them. While others are more intrigued by the math itself, and not so much the surface.

Of course it's all about immersion. Raph Koster put it succinctly in his blog.

EDIT: And oh, I'm always sold on the game itself, never the system, but if I play a game at length, I'm also somewhat intrigued by the system itself. Though I've been known to gimp myself a bit to wear cooler looking armor. :)