Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to like EvE but it just isn't fun.

Bow-wow-wowBow-wow-wow Member Posts: 6

I am a long time MMO player and not too long ago I tried the 14 day trial of EvE and tried really hard to get into it but just couldn't. The whole space idea and the player run economy look so much fun and I think I would have a blast getting into but the actual gameplay just isn't fun. The mining is sitting in one spot for 5 minuites while you mine, that isn't exciting at all. Even the combat is just selecting a red dot, selecting attack and waiting untill they die. Maybe it is just that I am not patient enough for EvE but I keep trying to get into and it is so hard, mainly because the gameplay isn't fun.

Any EvE players have advice of when/if/how this gets less boring or do you just need extreme patience to enjoy this game?

Have played: APB, Global Agenda, Rift, Warhammer, APB reloaded, EVE Online
Currently playing: Swtor

Comments

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

The game is much more than action. You cant like EVE if all you want is action.

Mining is about more than mining. You have to have a purpose. If your purpose to mine is to make money, you're gonna be bored and hate the game. If your purpose is to build something, then you have a reason.

Combat is much more tactical than action. You select the red dot, but as you progress you will find that some modules are needed at certain times and others arnt. Sometimes maintaining proper distances change and required different actions. Its about knowing your enemy and knowing the fight. It can all be point clicked to fair success. Its by far not fast paced action.

EVE really is also about the journey and not destination. The way the skills work means you can "level" up without ever playing more than 5 minutes a day. I had the most fun when I was in a corp. When I went solo is when the game got boring. Find a corp doing something you might find fun. Mining ops, learning trading, learning R&D, pirating or other things.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Eve is not a solo game like most other MMO's.  The idea is to get into a group and work towards something.  See if you can get build a player corporation strong enough to take over your own system.  Maybe you and some friends can earn isk by selling yourselves out as merc's.  The thing about Eve is, you have to build the experience, it is not handed to you.  Some people have built systems open to the public and made incredible free trade zones.  Other people have dominated the markets and earned a fortune which they use to topple other corporations.  It is a very long term and stategic game. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

The real fun is in the risk vs rewards aspects of EVE where you can reap large rewards depending on how much and how well you manage risky activities. However the most fun you'll ever have in EVE is by joining a corp with like-minded players for whatever interests you period. In addition I agree solo wise EVE is pathetically boring experience especially in "safe" (if you fly around in incredibly expensive ships with equally expensive mods prepare for the eventual suicide gank) areas like Hi-Sec.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

First time I've tried it I was very bored after few days and felt the same way u did. Next time (few months later) I was lucky enought to meet some ppl, and  today I consider them to be my rl friends. Game was so much better and more fun with friends and TS.

Joining a nice player-run corporation is a must imo.

If u wanna I can give ya a 60 days pass if u wanna try it again.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

If you're into action oriented game play then EVE probably isn't for you.

What a typical EVE miner might do in those 5 minutes is calculate how he's going to train the appropriate set of skills to increase his mining yields and reduce his refining costs.

If he was in 0.0 he'd be watching local in case hostile jumped in on top of his operation, and in many cases, miners are mostly afk and watching TV.

Agreed, standard mission running combat is about the same, gets a bit tougher later on , but until you make it out to hostile space the combat doesn't have much life to it.  Becomes a whole lot different when its your ship on the against the other guys.

But, it sounds like you played your 14 day trial alone, probably the worst way to experience EVE by most accounts.

Try another 14 day trial some day, see if you can get into EVE University or one of the other training corps and if you end up running some fleet ops with folks (train up some salvaging skills, takes a short time and you can help out a fleet almost immediately).

In the end, EVE does require a ton of patience, hence it's audience tends to be much older than the avv cerage MMO.

EVE's an acquired taste for some, I've seen folks report doing 3, 4 or even 5 trials before the game takes hold.

I personally researched the game about 2-3 weeks before I even gave it a go so I had a pretty good idea about what I wanted to try and accomplish before I joined.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

If you try to play Eve like any other MMO, you're going to get bored fairly quickly. It's like a pot pie, the crust is tasty but it's the meaty center you want to dig into. If you can get into a corporation that is active in territory conquest, that is a lot of fun.

• nycdannycdan Member UncommonPosts: 12

I just wanted to post to commend the posters in this thread.  I have had similar sentiments to the OP and have been wanting to like this game more than I did he last time I tried it (2-3 years ago).  After reading the post, I was braced for a lot of negative reactions to someone not liking the game, but I found the responses all thoughtful, polite, and informatve.  If that's indicative of the community, I might have to give this another go after all!

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Didn't like the fact that you couldn't move with WASD

didn't get much further into the game after that so idk how it is with a corp

and yes, that means I played for about 5 minutes

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

This is my problem with games using the traditional EQ format of combat, i've done it so many times, in different skins, to where I have zero interest in games that don't do something different. I liked Eve for all the reasons you wanted to, but agree that combat is a bit boring, but it's still different enough for me to have played it a a loooong time, and continue to return duing new xpacs and free time givreaways.

If you can't get over the combat in the first place, don't force yourself. The game might not be for you, so you oughta try the more flight-simulator style in games like Black Prophecy.... and some others I can't conjure atm. SWG used to be good for this too, but....

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• Bow-wow-wowBow-wow-wow Member Posts: 6

Thanks everyone for replying. In regards to the grouping and finding a corp, I did apply to EvE-uni on the first or second day but by the end of my 14 day trial, I was still in the queue to get into it. There really isn't a whole lot to do while you wait to get in and by the last couple of days of my subscription, I just sat online and waited for the queue to get to me which it never did.

• wacked37wacked37 Member UncommonPosts: 29

If you want thrilling action, go into low-security and PvP.

Join Red vs Blue if you want more sporty PvP: http://rvb.tech-pc.com/

Killing NPC rats or mining is extremely boring. I was turned off from EVE for the very same reasons numerous times until I decided that I didn't need to spend a month skilling up or grinding missions before I saw action. Within the first week of my 3rd trial, I went into low-sec and lost a ship. From then on I was hooked.

After that I saw the need for a source of income: piracy/ransoming, missioning, mining, trading, industry, etc.. Don't do the boring stuff without a goal--you'll just be bored.

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by Bow-wow-wow

Thanks everyone for replying. In regards to the grouping and finding a corp, I did apply to EvE-uni on the first or second day but by the end of my 14 day trial, I was still in the queue to get into it. There really isn't a whole lot to do while you wait to get in and by the last couple of days of my subscription, I just sat online and waited for the queue to get to me which it never did.

I think Eve Uni won't take people on trial, my friend had the same issue until he subbed. Also I first tried EVE in 2007 and dropped it after a few days, I know the feeling. I revisited it in 2010 when I was unemployed and had a lot of time, been playing it ever since.

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

It sounds like you are playing by yourself. mining by yourself. Man that shit is NOT fun. You are not experienceing "EvE" you are playing it expecting it to be like things you have played beforee. It doesn't work that way. You can play EvE solo if you like. But 99% of the people that try that think it sucks.

Find a Corp that does the things you are looking to do. DO you want to mine , Mining corp etc etc PVP corp etc.

I would do whatever you need to do to get into EvE university 1st off and learn the game first. Then go from there. Doing it on your own .......yeah.......That's about as fun as hitting yourself with a hammer.

Hope you stick with it man. Nothing else like it.

• Bow-wow-wowBow-wow-wow Member Posts: 6

After thinking about this, I think I want to try EvE again. This time though, I want to get into a good, friendly coorperation that will help me learn the ropes of the gameplay. I guess I pretty much spent most of my time soloing. I have a few more questions though:

1. I have a character from my trial. To be honest, I might just want to start another character over to replay through the tutorial and such. Is it possible to get another trial after your first trial? I am not going to buy a game like this untill I play through the trial and get hooked.

2. Also, does anyone have a trial code I could use and/or a friendly corp that will help me learn the ropes. I'd really appreciate it. If not, can anyone recommend a good corp? I don't know if E-uni works since I really don't want to wait a week for them to accept me on a trial.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Originally posted by Bow-wow-wow

After thinking about this, I think I want to try EvE again. This time though, I want to get into a good, friendly coorperation that will help me learn the ropes of the gameplay. I guess I pretty much spent most of my time soloing. I have a few more questions though:

1. I have a character from my trial. To be honest, I might just want to start another character over to replay through the tutorial and such. Is it possible to get another trial after your first trial? I am not going to buy a game like this untill I play through the trial and get hooked.

2. Also, does anyone have a trial code I could use and/or a friendly corp that will help me learn the ropes. I'd really appreciate it. If not, can anyone recommend a good corp? I don't know if E-uni works since I really don't want to wait a week for them to accept me on a trial.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Code sent in a private message.

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

My dirty little secret: I've tried and failed to get into EVE a record 6 number of times. Four 14-day trials, one 21-day trial, and I'm currently burning through 60 day trial plus 30 days free (90) that I got when purchasing the game about a month ago. Eventually I'm going to just have to admit to myself that this game really isn't for me. No matter how much I love the theme and concept, I simply don't have any fun playing it.

My advice, check out the game Perpetuum. It's a complete EVE clone, but it hooked me the first day I tried it. The combat is immensely more entertaining, IMO. WASD movement, where weapon trajectory and LOS are taken into consideration makes for much more entertaining combat.

I'm not here to push EVE players into trying Perpetuum, even though I'm a big fan, I just honestly do think that it is a better fit for many people who love the idea of EVE, but can't seem to enjoy playing it.

Originally posted by Adhesive33

My dirty little secret: I've tried and failed to get into EVE a record 6 number of times. Four 14-day trials, one 21-day trial, and I'm currently burning through 60 day trial plus 30 days free (90) that I got when purchasing the game about a month ago. Eventually I'm going to just have to admit to myself that this game really isn't for me. No matter how much I love the theme and concept, I simply don't have any fun playing it.

My advice, check out the game Perpetuum. It's a complete EVE clone, but it hooked me the first day I tried it. The combat is immensely more entertaining, IMO. WASD movement, where weapon trajectory and LOS are taken into consideration makes for much more entertaining combat.

I'm not here to push EVE players into trying Perpetuum, even though I'm a big fan, I just honestly do think that it is a better fit for many people who love the idea of EVE, but can't seem to enjoy playing it.

Thats not a bad idea, I know a few eve friends that enjoy the mech game as well.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Hmmm...see I love the idea of Eve, the setting, the atmosphere and can't stand the actual gameplay, yet I found Perpetuum just as bad if not worse in that I felt way to complicated.  Plus, I just don't like the Perpetuum setting.  /sigh What to do....

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

Originally posted by elocke

Hmmm...see I love the idea of Eve, the setting, the atmosphere and can't stand the actual gameplay, yet I found Perpetuum just as bad if not worse in that I felt way to complicated.  Plus, I just don't like the Perpetuum setting.  /sigh What to do....

I prefer the EVE setting as well, and Perpetuum is just as complicated as EVE (although a little less broad since it hasn't had as much developmental time), but I still prefer Perpetuum beause the combat itself is just more enjoyable. I like having a single plane of existence, I like the idea of navigating terrain, hiding behind objects, kiting mobs, etc.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

What i don't believe is, after creating the avatars and captains quarters, they still persist in creating Dust, a console only ground version of the game, somehow linked to EvE. What i don't understand is, why they could make this part of the actual PC game and make it the best MMO ever to exist in history? I mean...PS3...wtf.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Vegetto

Wthey still persist in creating Dust, a console only ground version of the game

Dust is not a ground version of EVE, it is a console shooter and as such it has nothing in common with EVE... That pretty much answer your question.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Ugh, I did not like Perpetuum for two main reasons:

1) It rips off so much from Eve wholesale that I just thought that was plain rude of the developers to do

2) Even on a good computer at the lowest graphics settings the lag was so outrageously painful that it was almost unplayable outright. If you tried a 10 vs 10 PvP round on that thing your internet connection would probably explode. I know my internet connection and computer are at least decent since I can run Eve at moderate-to-high graphics settings and not have any real issues unless the number of ships in the area get into the triple digits.

Oh, and to another post, Dust 514 is not a ground FPS version of Eve. It is a standard FPS like Counterstrike or Battlefield that will be linked to the Eve game universe in the fact that the battlefields that the Dust players are fighting over are on the planets that the Eve players want to control, and the Eve players will be hiring the Dust players as mercenaries to take over/protect the planet installations.

I've been playing Eve for several years and have tried most of the aspects of it. I will openly admit that the single player PvE content of it can get very boring, but the same could be said of most MMOs in existence. The real fun starts when you can get into a corporation of players with similar interests and at least a bit more skill than you, so that you can do things as a group and learn from them.

Personally, the real fun comes in the PvP aspects of it. The adrenalin rush you get from situations such as when you're camping a stargate in a fleet during a corp war, waiting for the enemy to come to you, and after a couple of hours of waiting your scout on the other side finally says "They're coming through! Get ready!"...That is just plain f*cking intense. Another big one for me rather recently was when during a corp war I finally, for the first time, scored my first completely solo kill. I studied his Battleclinic profile to anticipate what he was probably going to fly and how skilled he might be, tracked the guy down myself with locator agents, flew to the system that the locator agent said he was in, nearly shit myself when I saw him RIGHT ON THE GATE when I jumped in, decloaked and popped his ass. I was still shaking 5 minutes after he was dead. I have NEVER had adrenalin rushes like that in any other game, or most sports that I've tried. Our own corp leader actually directly warns newer players to PvP to expect that rush and not get overwhelmed by it, so that they can still focus and fight properly. I don't know about you, but to me that is EXCITING!

Where's the any key?

• AsgrimAsgrim Member UncommonPosts: 92

Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

...and after a couple of hours of waiting your scout on the other side finally says "They're coming through! Get ready!"...That is just plain f*cking intense. 

You wait for... hours?

That doesn't sound like fun at all. Then again, I never liked waiting for epic spawns in EQ either.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

The searching and waiting is in the hours yes, that is why when you finally bump into the bastard you've been chasing, you are overcome with allsorts of feelings.

...The main one being "I CANNOT let him kill me after all of this".

I would compare it to losing your brand new mobile phone that's on a 2 year contract and searching all day for it, then you finally see it...in the road, it is untouched, but then you hear the sound of the roadsweeper...it's do or die time, so you dive onto the road, risking your neck, then jump out with the goods.

In summary, its a "Phew! Close!" feeling, that this time, you didn't get mashed up.

A feeling of accomplishment though? Depends, no fight is ever a fair fight in EvE - On the very rare (very) occasion it's 1 vs. 1, the chances that you will be an even match is slim and whilst you are fighting him, you have one eye on your watch, knowing his bored mates will jump in any second, pop you, then smacktalk you in local.

So, a bit like Gangs of New York, where the only way to survive is to jab some poor bugger in the back with his own umbrella, steal his top hat, then run back into the sewer...but eventually, you find it a bit easier to join like minded fellows and become a bit like Oliver Twist.

I notice i have used an analogy roughly once a sentence here, but perhaps most are relevant. My issue was thus: To make the kill worthwhile materialistically, the victim will need to be sporting some rather tasty gear, maybe better than your own. Should you already have lots of dollar and kick ass ships/mods, then the kill is perhaps more for sport. Afaik, there is no system rewarding PvP kills, but i am open to correction.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

Ugh, I did not like Perpetuum for two main reasons:

1) It rips off so much from Eve wholesale that I just thought that was plain rude of the developers to do

2) Even on a good computer at the lowest graphics settings the lag was so outrageously painful that it was almost unplayable outright. If you tried a 10 vs 10 PvP round on that thing your internet connection would probably explode. I know my internet connection and computer are at least decent since I can run Eve at moderate-to-high graphics settings and not have any real issues unless the number of ships in the area get into the triple digits.

i play perpetuum on my laptop and it runs just fine. don't lie about a game just to try to justify your reason for liking a similar one.

I've got the straight edge.