Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Five Reasons to Play Galactic Republic

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

In SWTOR, the Sith Empire may be "cooler", but they don't have wookiees.  In this week's List, we take a look at five reasons no one should miss playing a member of the Galactic Republic.

This may not be a good idea, starting off the List with a reason that's essentially: because you can still be an evil bastard.  But it's true.  In SWTOR, during the course of your Galactic Republic goody-two-shoes' story, you can choose to be as much of a prick as you want to be.  You can walk the line and make sure you're still on the "good side" while being a total sleaze-ball.  That is, if you have the stomach for it.  It's a bit like playing the good-guy card while harnessing the Dark Side of the Force, but it's worth it if you want all the nifty Dark Side gear from the Republic Fleet.

Read the rest of The List: Five Reasons to Play Galactic Republic.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• DukeTyrionDukeTyrion Member UncommonPosts: 89

... and the 6th reason, since it only takes 2 weeks to reach cap, you might as well play both sides at some point, to try and get your monies worth!

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Reason number 6:  you will rarely ever encounter Huttball

Thats the single best reason IMO :)

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Originally posted by thamighty213

This reason is the best, I agree.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I find the stories (so far) more palatable on the Republic side. I'm not sure where the disconnect is. I could just not want to play an evil character. Of course, everyone in the group of people I play in plays Empire, so I'll eventually have an Empire character leveled I'm sure.

As long as they don't have Ewoks, I'm good though.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

If you've ever actually tried to work with a wookie tank, you'll find that you're better off playing Empire.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Trooper Armor
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825

Who cares about companions? Now if they were player races then yeah that would be cool. I am sure they will be, given time.

Not sure list has even one of the reasons most people are playing Republic.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by Icewhite

If you've ever actually tried to work with a wookie tank, you'll find that you're better off playing Empire.

Clicking his aoe abilities off, and making sure his gear is up to date (and not rocking all defense) is hard!

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Kost

Clicking his aoe abilities off, and making sure his gear is up to date (and not rocking all defense) is hard!

So is setting up a set of defaults that actually work for tanking, apparently.

The first time your "tank" knocks a live mob into another group of mobs, and then chases it in...yeah.  Tanks with knockback's always been just a brilliant idea.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Due to poulation imbalance. I.E most of the kids are playing Sith. You get to be the underdog. Horray! Everybody loves the underdogs! It remindes me of vanilla wow Horde. FOR THE REPUBLIC! ;)

Edit.*  And this was just sugested by a freind of mine, and I quote. "Sith raids have to end at 8pm because it's bedtime." Ha Ha! ;)

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Everyone cares. I dont know how many times u have to say it companions are not pets. Sorry they are so much more. 

Khem val for one keeps telling me how when hes free hes gonna eat me for lunch, or telling me how soft i am and how someday hes gonna kill me . 

Yea lots and lots of death threats. Qyzen keeps calling me the herald and talking about how the scorekeepr meant for him to help me, 

T-7 is the funniest thing going, with his t7 + jedi + save the universe stuff. So who u get as a companion matters, 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by kalinis
    Everyone cares. I dont know how many times u have to say it companions are not pets. Sorry they are so much more. Khem val for one keeps telling me how when hes free hes gonna eat me for lunch, or telling me how soft i am and how someday hes gonna kill me . Yea lots and lots of death threats. Qyzen keeps calling me the herald and talking about how the scorekeepr meant for him to help me, T-7 is the funniest thing going, with his t7 + jedi + save the universe stuff. So who u get as a companion matters,  

Agreed. For your droids, I hope they let you buy personality packs. I'd much prefer a sarcastic droid than the smarmy droid I've gotten on two of my characters.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 627

Originally posted by DukeTyrion

... and the 6th reason, since it only takes 2 weeks to reach cap, you might as well play both sides at some point, to try and get your monies worth!

If you play what 10 hours a day??? Personally I don't have that much free time as an adult with responsibilities.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by thamighty213

I love my Republic toon for this reason. Bioware adding another same side map will help a lot. 

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

These reasons are not as cool as the sith ones and feel somewhat like barrel scrapping.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I'm gonna go with the Huttball response and I don't see it as number 6.. I see it as number 1.

Not even going into population imbalance.. Huttball to me is pretty much the "poster child" of development gone wrong.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Huttball is my fave. Im not a big star wars lore/fan though.

• nepulasnepulas Member UncommonPosts: 218

srsly no one cares , swtor looses attention and u cant make it better , the game itself sucks , cause there is nothing new , so you ll better push some of the real good upcoming games like tera or archeage and give them some publicity for free ... srsly ...

Retired : Daoc , Warhammer , WoW , Lotro , Tabula Rasa , Everquest 2 , Aion, Eve , AoC , SW:Tor ( failwars ), Planetside 2
    Waiting : Star Citizen
    Playing : Star Citizen
    FPS : Overwatch

Yt chan : https://www.youtube.com/user/raine187

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by DukeTyrion

Definitely- if you made the mistake of buying the game you might as well try to get the most out of the stories since that's the only decent thing about the game.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

faster PvP queue times

but a lot of people dislike PvP

.....paradox

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well your number one reason flops like a dead mackeral.  Spaceflight is a joke in this game and without it, Hans is a one legged dork.  

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

While I enjoyed SWTOR I have one reason "NOT" to play at all. SOPA

Until EA removes their support even indirectly from SOPA I won't subscribe.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Queue generic unfounded hate response #7827-G

Anyways...on my server the sides are actually pretty even.  Maybe even slighted towards Republic.  It is a RP server, probably why.  I have found that I actually enjoy the Republic stories a bit more for some odd reason.  I had been planning forever to play a Sith, but for one reason or another enjoy the other sides stories more.  The Smuggler story is pretty kick ass too.

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Well your number one reason flops like a dead mackeral.  Spaceflight is a joke in this game and without it, Hans is a one legged dork.  

LOL, HANS!!

• opposedcrowopposedcrow Member Posts: 55

I have three characters: a jedi knight (my main), a trooper, and an imperial agent. I'll admit that even as the agent I find myself habitually straying towards the ligher side during quests and dialogue (I made up a rough rp story of him being brainwashed as a child after a horrible accident to work for the empire which is why he's also a cyborg) but I also occasionally let my darker nature take over so he's probably more neutral than good.