Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft Graphics Rating?

I'm just wondering why the visuals on World of Warcraft are the second highest number on their rating. Should there be an annual wipe of a games ratings to reset it's true numbers?  I know a lot of people enjoy the graphics of the game, for some reason, but I mean, come on, 9,000 people voted and it's graphics are at 8.6? The graphics on WOW are less than sub par compared to almost any other AAA MMORPG on the market, it's ranked higher than Star Wars. I know SWTOR is a new game so it should have way better graphics than they allow, but still they are better than WOW's.

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Let's just say that those votes are rather old, if they would force you to vote again the number will be somewhat lower.

People usually vote when they just have discovered a game. Wow was 8.6 in early 2005.

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

Yeah I serioulsy have no doubt on that.  I mean there really needs to be some sort of degrading system.  When you score something higher your other scores go down or something, or a User rating wipe every so often or something, because it's pretty ridiculous that on one of the largest MMO sites WOW has a 8.6 graphics rating.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Depends,

since im guessing there is no separate "aesthetics" vote and everything is consolidated under "graphics" the number is more then justified.

It is one thing to push X polygons, 4k textures and advanced shaders with AAO, and another to create a timeless almost never-aging aesthetic.

WoW might not run cryengine or U3 but it has the best aesthethic available for its technology.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by onehunerdper

I'm just wondering why the visuals on World of Warcraft are the second highest number on their rating. Should there be an annual wipe of a games ratings to reset it's true numbers?  I know a lot of people enjoy the graphics of the game, for some reason, but I mean, come on, 9,000 people voted and it's graphics are at 8.6? The graphics on WOW are less than sub par compared to almost any other AAA MMORPG on the market, it's ranked higher than Star Wars. I know SWTOR is a new game so it should have way better graphics than they allow, but still they are better than WOW's.

It is simple. You are thinking only about the graphical technology but not the art.

Wow, to many, has great art style and it looks good and cool even when it is using fewer polygons compared to other games. For example, i went "wow" when i see some of the newer wearpons in 4.3 like the one with an moving eyeball. It is just cool design.

So i would say the wow art direction & deisng are better than most games i have seen but it is not using the most advance graphics technology.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

I know when WoW came out it was the same year EQ2 came out. I remeber I selected EQ2 because the graphics where better.

so there is another point of reference that is somewhat humorous

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Yeah I serioulsy have no doubt on that.  I mean there really needs to be some sort of degrading system.  When you score something higher your other scores go down or something, or a User rating wipe every so often or something, because it's pretty ridiculous that on one of the largest MMO sites WOW has a 8.6 graphics rating.

As another user mentioned, there is also art style to consider. In my opinion, games with a stronger art style tend to hold up better over time as well.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Graphics vs Aesthetics

As has been mentioned, graphics remains a very subjective term because of the art style or aesthetic that a player may prefer.

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

Eh, well WoW's graphics were seen as a joke when it released back in 2004 too. They were behind the curve, EQ2 had come out with semi-realistic graphics that destroyed WoW in that category, and WoW looked more like its predecessor EQ1 then anything else.

Some people liked it though, and they voted. It's not like it means diddly poo though..it's just some arbitrary rating on an arbitrary website.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

Today WoW looks much better then EQ2 imo...

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by evianwater

Eh, well WoW's graphics were seen as a joke when it released back in 2004 too. They were behind the curve, EQ2 had come out with semi-realistic graphics that destroyed WoW in that category

Which may explain why graphics just aren't a very good bar for comparison.  (EQ2 got smoked, despite having the head start on catching subs.)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by evianwater

Eh, well WoW's graphics were seen as a joke when it released back in 2004 too. They were behind the curve, EQ2 had come out with semi-realistic graphics that destroyed WoW in that category, and WoW looked more like its predecessor EQ1 then anything else.

Some people liked it though, and they voted. It's not like it means diddly poo though..it's just some arbitrary rating on an arbitrary website.

I disagree.

The game has that rating because a lot of people liked it's aesthetic design. WoW is filled with lush colors, and a cartoon-like palette and particle effects to compliment it's fantasy setting. It has no reason to strive for realistic or serious graphics because the game's not realistic or serious.

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Horde character models are pretty good. Alliance models, in my opinion, suck. I am, of course, talking about the graphical style. Two things I've always disliked about WoW graphically are that...

1) Shoulder armor is ridiculously huge and gaudy

and

2) Its impossible to make a male character that isn't either old-looking or ugly. Even Blood Elves, which were supposed to be pretty-boys, are kinda ugly.

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

I completely understand the idea that artistic qualities are combined with the rating, but I question the use of the term "Graphics" to describe the category in that case.  I think for the majority of the gaming world the term graphics refers to graphic quality, not the artistic design or leanings.  For the current technology the graphical textures and everything else having to do with the quality of the designs are horrible.  I might as well be wearing paper mache than steel.  I remember when they put out their "graphics/texture improvements" in what like '08? I downloaded it and was all excited, and was completely let down.  It still looked like a game from the 90's in my opinion, and that was supposed to be some sort of amazing upgrade.  Even with all my setting turned to 11 I was just completely amazed how everyone was praising the improvment.  BILLIONS of dollars and that's what we have.  The most successful MMO EVER, and the graphics still look like I'm playing a game from the turn of the century. 

On top of this, are people really going to sit here and defend the art?  Everyone running around in the same thing? Same colors? I think maybe one outfit and one weapon tops was ever even close to something that made me say "Eh, that looks cool" Most of it had shoulder pads that, if I actually wore them, would send sharp spike into my brain had my head been moved to the left or right a half an inch, and some even disappeared into my head when I put them on.

If the artistic is being counted in a category labelled as "Graphics" the number still shouldn't be 8.6.  the Artistic is only half of the rating so at most, if some people thought the art was something special it should be rated somewhere above a low 5, because the other part of it is the actually graphics quality which is pretty terribly low. 

I know the rating system is all based on individual judgment, but I think it's time for this 8 year old game to be re-rated or something.  It's pretty ridiculous.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

lol ,most that voted this probably went in their wtf file and cranked everything as high as they could!but graphic are looking good in lot of place ,(forget green stuff)maybe in mist of pandria they ll up the tree quality

but it is a cartoon style it is hard to notice the changes unless you zoom in .character are all rendered very nicelly

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by Serelisk

Graphics vs Aesthetics

As has been mentioned, graphics remains a very subjective term because of the art style or aesthetic that a player may prefer.

wow!this expplain exactly the rift between gamer and dev!i got to say i am the first that would have said we need better graphic ,but after having had this lesson from your link.yes you are correct i wish dev would correct their aestetic more then their graphic.the meat sandwitch pretty much resume the idea lol!one looks yummy the other more like ok  ill wait next week

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

hell even at low rez they are better then WoW's LOL the one thing that WoW has them beat on is the movement of characters. SWTOR's are stiff and not fluid. That's the only thing tho. 

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Another wow hate thread.  Why would someone dig up and complain about the rating of a games individual scores?

EQ2 looks like shit and runs like complete shit.  Even all these years later.  On a brand new overclocked top end processor and video card.  EQ2's engine cannot handle it's own graphics settings.  I think others have stated that the developers of that engine expected us to have 10 ghz processors by now, rather than 12 core 4.0 ghz.  So they got screwed and haven't bothered to fix it (if it's even possible)

SWTOR graphics are no better.  Very colorful and cartoony.  The textures and models are also no better.

Top it off with, WoW runs very well in 20v20+ battles with tons of spell effects going off everywhere.  Try jacking EQ2 settings or SWTOR settings to max (I think SWTOR is limited currently anyway) in a 20v20+ battle and see how well it runs.  Who cares if you can stare at a wall or look out over a cliff and see pretty graphics if the game runs like ass when actually trying to play it...

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I don't think the graphics are bad in Warcraft. By modern standards it looks like something you would play on your iphone but that doesn't equal bad.   I think they fared pretty well over the years.  I would probably still rate the style they went with pretty high to this day.

• IstafeinIstafein Member UncommonPosts: 70

Originally posted by Serelisk

Graphics vs Aesthetics

Thank you for posting that video.  He explains everything so perfectly! 

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6-34

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by drbaltazar

lol ,most that voted this probably went in their wtf file and cranked everything as high as they could!but graphic are looking good in lot of place ,(forget green stuff)maybe in mist of pandria they ll up the tree quality

but it is a cartoon style it is hard to notice the changes unless you zoom in .character are all rendered very nicelly

Like I said, its not Crysis, but i think this looks pretty good for the tech they work with.

Cata trees and foliage:

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

WoW looks good also on bad computers and gets higher scores from those who can't enable the nice graphic tricks of newer MMOs.

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

WoW's graphics are were well deserving of 8.6

In 2005.

Now?

It looks like a upscaled PS2 ISO.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Originally posted by kostoslav

Today WoW looks much better then EQ2 imo...

WoW' s graphics were always better than EQ2.

EQ2 had floating rocks, trees, water looked plastic along with square shore lines that look like they were done with a streight edge. Players and NPC's looked like plastic too. The music sucked, and to this day people are having problems with the coding.

I'm not totally sticking up for WoW but EQ2 was just bad !