Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift or SWTOR?

TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

This poll is for people who have played BOTH Rift and SWTOR.

With the first month of SWTOR's official launch coming to a close on January 20, will you be subbing to SWTOR, returning to Rift, or playing both?

Why?

Comments

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

If you like watching Cut scenes 50% of the time, and dont mind a lacklustre world go for SWTOR. If you want a game that is not missing anything from the MMORPG genre and has some unique aspects thrown in, go for RIFT.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

This thread is on the Rift forums, so the answers will obviously be skewed in 1 direction.

• AnduriAnduri Member Posts: 15

Going back because I reached level 50 in SWTOR and realised there was nothing to do there that wasn't done a lot better in Rift.

As for the above poster saying the results will be skewed, I presume the OP was looking for players that had played both games, something you wouldn't have in another forum.

• melton80melton80 Member Posts: 54

Neither, they are both pieces of crap.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Well, I've played both games and I'm having much more fun in SWToR than I ever had in Rift "long term".

Meaning, if it wasn't for the invasions that we had in Beta I would never have played Rift. When those seemed to change over the course of launch I just quit.

but in reality they are just two different types of games. If one likes the bioware style then that helps.

I would say that if one eschews any of the story in SWToR and just wants to play more "open world" and go exploring, in some cases SWToR wouldn't be able to hold a candle.

oh sure, some of SWToR's worlds are huge but it's sort of hit or miss.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

For first month, SW:TOR is far better as the stories and voice acting are quite good. However after that I feel Rift has more longetivity in the Rifts, world events and world PvP where some people are actually engaging in PvP and the class system in Rift is far better.

I am right now enjoying SW:TOR but I will for sure not sub to it, unless I dont manage to finish atleast on Empire republic class story arcs and one Republic. That might take longer than a month though.

However after that I am going back to Rift, or maybe AoC, to wait for the next big MMO release.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Once you get through the storyline in SWTOR its a wrap.

I wont be going back to Rift but if I had to choose a mmo to play once i unsubbed (I already have) to SWTOR it would be RIFT due to its content at endgame. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

This poll is for people who have played BOTH Rift and SWTOR.

With the first month of SWTOR's official launch coming to a close on January 20, will you be subbing to SWTOR, returning to Rift, or playing both?

Why?

SWTOR for 30 days, redownloading Rift as I type.

OP I'm interested on why you just chose Rift?

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Originally posted by Timukas

I bought Rift with 6 month sub but after my first 4 months I could not find any strenght to log in. SWTOR is much better than Rift. But then again the cheesiest NPC line of all time belongs to Rift. When dealing with vendors they say: years to make, seconds to purchase. 

How do you know its better dude? 

For the first four months of RIFT you were basically thrilled with the game right?

Who's to say you wont tire of SWTOR even quicker. The games only been out a month.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

SWTOR, by a long shot. Rift is and was the most boring MMO I ve played in years. Rifts become annoying, world events are literally the same thing everytime, and the game just felt so small. To each their own, but to me Rift is a step backwards.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

While I love the Star Wars genre. I am not a fan of SWTOR. Not because of the story lines or cinematics. Which are some of the best I have seen in any game. But rather gameplay. Combat is clunky. the commands are off base and tedious. I feel like im playing DAOC all over again. Which was 10 years ago. They really could have made a better UI.

So my pick is Rift. As it is flawless in its game mechanics. Has a good open world. PVP is going to be quite something after this next patch. A well made environment, streamlined and non linear. What I like in a game. Rifts class/soul system is by far the best out in the market currently.

I will not resub SWTOR after my initial month is up. I feel minus the storyline/cinematics like the game was a waste of money.

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

I just stoppped playing Swtor and am trying rift for the first time. I am shocked how much better Rift is. It is sooo much more polished. The UI is great, the graphics are way better, the combat smoother, rifts are fun (although I have a feeling they will get old quick). I really enjoy mixing the classes in rift. I was bored to tears in Swtor and now i am excited playing rift.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I played Rift from launch for 6 months, having gone back for a free weekend (Novemebr I think) I decided it was unlikely I would resub, It''s a very good MMO but I'm tired of fantasy MMOs so do not intend to go back. SWTOR will keep me occupied until The Secret World comes out, by then I will have level 50s of every advance class. I enjoy the class story lines and listen to those cut scenes, the others I listen to the first time them spacebar through it on subsequent listening.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by Leucent

SWTOR, by a long shot. Rift is and was the most boring MMO I ve played in years. Rifts become annoying, world events are literally the same thing everytime, and the game just felt so small. To each their own, but to me Rift is a step backwards.

i choose rift anyday..but if your happy with 10 billion load screens an hour then you stick with swtor ..but just out of curiosity..lets see in a few months time wether or not you think swtor is the most boring mmo you ever played.you will be suprised how quickly you can tire of the same old stuff.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by kevjards

i choose rift anyday..but if your happy with 10 billion load screens an hour then you stick with swtor ..but just out of curiosity..lets see in a few months time wether or not you think swtor is the most boring mmo you ever played.you will be suprised how quickly you can tire of the same old stuff.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Like doing Rifts you mean? Or going to a quest hub in a zone with an invasion to find it swarming with elites and the you're the only one in the zone... that gets old quick too.  Things will get old prettry quick in both games.

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

Well it seems this post has summed up the answer for you. Rift. I myself am sticking with WoW for the xpac and holding off for GW2, TERA and Archeage. At least with Rift it had my attention past the 30 day mark. SWTOR had me for less than a week before I unintsalled it.

Getting too old for this $&17!

Originally posted by mbd1968

Like doing Rifts you mean? Or going to a quest hub in a zone with an invasion to find it swarming with elites and the you're the only one in the zone... that gets old quick too.  Things will get old prettry quick in both games.

oohh let me think..at least rift tried to do something different..only thing different in swtor is your paying to watch a film..and thats it..how many times do you watch the same film..me i may watch a film once or twice at most..then i never touch it again..i,m not knocking your game m8..but for me i dont want some cut scene for 5 mins to be told to go kill xx number of mobs..sorry not for me..by the time you have watched that i could have done 2-3 quests in rift which is good enough for me.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

oohh let me think..at least rift tried to do something different..only thing different in swtor is your paying to watch a film..and thats it..how many times do you watch the same film..me i may watch a film once or twice at most..then i never touch it again..i,m not knocking your game m8..but for me i dont want some cut scene for 5 mins to be told to go kill xx number of mobs..sorry not for me..by the time you have watched that i could have done 2-3 quests in rift which is good enough for me.

Pretty simple answer, I don t like Rift, I can tell you in a few months I won t be bored of SWTOR, I was in beta a long time. I m still loving it. I think the vocal minority on this site is really trying hard to get their word out.

Pretty simple answer, I don t like Rift, I can tell you in a few months I won t be bored of SWTOR, I was in beta a long time. I m still loving it. I think the vocal minority on this site is really trying hard to get their word out.

i've got nothing against swtor..just the game is not for me..rift is more open..you are allowed to explore..no room for exploration in swtor..which is a real shame imo..so much potential that game had..but in the end its each to their own game..i hope you enjoy swtor and stick with it.

If it's a good movie, a dozen times.. not back to back, obviously.. but I will watch it everytime I see it's on tv. I've also read the same book, or series of books, multiple times also. I get repeat enjoyment out of things.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Rift just stunk of blandness.  The people who are seemingly going towards Rift (and this is a generalization) seem to argue that ToR sucks because it has too much story and not enough things to do.

I believe Bioware felt that their 'hardcores' would level one of each to max level giving them plenty of time to work on content for patches.

I don't think I'll be going back to Rift gear has already esalated in the game to out of control levels.  The planar attunement system of gaining extra stats for post level cap xp is also massively imbalancing the game.  I don't honestly think it is fun grinding PvP so you level up faster and then raiding for endless months only to be the bottom of the meters by milestones every time.

Yes, I actually like games with *gasp* stories.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

So what exactly makes some of these people believe we want them back? These people expected Rift to just pause while they played TOR and it cost us more then a few servers and guilds fell apart.

Last thing we need is you guys doing is coming back praising Rift for features it had when it was sure as hell evident what TOR was missing in comparrison. I honestly hope to god most of you who left end up back in WoW and are forced to suffer with 6 month content releases and cash shops. We are not stupid here. If you jumped ship for TOR, then we all know you are going to leave when GW2 comes out so why even bother?

This game needs loyal players not band wagon game hoppers.

Originally posted by troublmaker

Rift just stunk of blandness.  The people who are seemingly going towards Rift (and this is a generalization) seem to argue that ToR sucks because it has too much story and not enough things to do.

I believe Bioware felt that their 'hardcores' would level one of each to max level giving them plenty of time to work on content for patches.

I don't think I'll be going back to Rift gear has already esalated in the game to out of control levels.  The planar attunement system of gaining extra stats for post level cap xp is also massively imbalancing the game.  I don't honestly think it is fun grinding PvP so you level up faster and then raiding for endless months only to be the bottom of the meters by milestones every time.

Yes, I actually like games with *gasp* stories.

its nothing to do with the story.i like most enjoy a good story,,but the problem was when i was playing it ,anyone that i was grouping with was'nt interested,they all hit the spacebar and wanted to lvl so quickly it was like i was being pushed out because i liked the story.if you ask a lot of the lvl 50's what their story was about they wont have a clue.in no way am i having a dig at the game..i quite liked what i saw.you get those type of people in every mmo..but at least in rift i didnt feel like an outcast cos i wanted to do the story.when this game goes cheap i will pick it up..but not atm.you also mentioned pvp which from what i've heard is really bad atm..so you cant really have a dig at rift in that respect either.the latest patch on rift i beleive is adressing issues regarding this.i think given time TOR will be a good game..but it is'nt atm.its only average.