Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally ready to get off the theme park ride

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ttfOuxB6Gc&feature=plcp&context=C3653752UDOEgsToPDskL4CvpYksv88r56K3AJV9nh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnVGEYGE8hs&feature=plcp&context=C301bbd3UDOEgsToPDskKH3difkgO3i36H6iGOWSj1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-healkDctCw&feature=plcp&context=C3e304b5UDOEgsToPDskIvTsN2t8pO6OzxBqHKVa_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsUcGBL56Ng

I've been researching this game like mad crazy since i first heard about it, it's definitely getting my money when it releases because they have done an amazing job from what i've just seen so far of breaking the mold on mmo's things like quest leading, gear treadmills, GCDs all will be a thing of the past when this game hits. I simply cannot wait!

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by Quenchster

Originally posted by cali59

If we define Sandbox as a game where players create content, then GW2 is a non-traditional, non-linear Themepark.  Zones have level ranges but instead of following a quest chain from A to B to C, you can do Dynamic Events in whatever order you come across them.  The game automatically mentors you down when you do lower level content so you can actually go do any event in the world of a lower level any time it's running and get a decent reward for it.  I could go into vastly more detail about the game and events and how it all works, but I'm trying to be brief.

The bottom line is that GW2 is a true MMORPG and almost completely unlike GW1 except for the lore.  It's almost completely unlike games like WoW as well.  As they say in their Manifesto Trailer, "if you love MMOs, you'll want to check out Guild Wars 2, and if you hate MMOs, you'll really want to check out Guild Wars 2."

No offense Cali, but I think the last thing a person who had their hopes up high for an MMORPG and had them shattered is one of those videos where the devs take turns using same old 'We will be different!' phrases like "lost the ability to make the player feel like a hero." Those kinds of videos are just meant to get up hype without actually showing players what they should be hyped about. It is all talk (Isn't that right Bioware?). What people want to see is action!

PVE (World boss I think? You don't need to group for a raid to fight them we are told. Anyone can join in.)

Thief gameplay (Also includes town under siege by catapults.)

Right now I'm trying to find good videos. Some of these peeps don't know how to play! There was this one video where the guy kept hinting with words like "dodge" while he was doing commentary and this one lady kept standing there taking damage.

Fair enough.

Here's one of my favorite videos for just showing dodging and casting on the move.  It's one of the first videos I ever saw of the game.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TKENm1M6vP4#t=159s  Note that talking to this guy is part of the Personal Storyline.  Dynamic events in the world you don't have to speak to anyone to participate.  This is the tutorial and it throws you right into the action.

If you want a skilled player, this is a developer playing PVP.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KDCsXfg9HNY#t=32s  It might look like he's only got 10 skills, but he's actually got 25 (20 on the left side in four sets of 5 he swaps to with F1-F4, fire, water, air, earth).  Part of the problem I think with showing footage is that a lot of the features (no holy trinity, no ally targeting, skills tied to weapon) aren't going to be immediately obvious.

Here's a pretty good video about dynamic events. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpwxr8LrZJc

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by jpnole

I am old enough to have played the first mmos but I didn't get started until 2005 with WoW. Since that time I played GW, AOC (max level), COH (40s and several alts), Rift (max level) and SWTOR (level 21). By no means am I a mmo vet like some folks on here, but I've played my share. Rewind to Rift. I bought a 6 month sub somehow thinking that it was a different game. It was like I was under a spell. After a month and a half, I hit max level, maxed out my crafting and suddenly it dawned on me that I was just going through the motions. I didn't play for most of the remaining 4 months of my sub time. Now with SWTOR, I had the same burnout at the 3 week mark. I was only level 21 but I maxed out a crafting tier and had the same realization. Fortunately, I only had 30 days of included box time so I was able to cancel today. I realized that I was just chasing that carrot on a  stick. No matter what the game, whether you are level 5, 10, 50 or max level, you are on an endless treadmill with no purpose other than to hit the next level, tier, etc.

I think I am finally ready to say good bye to the same tired old theme park formula and just wait for the right mmo to come out. Who knows when it will be. Due to the SWTOR beta and early access, I didn't get a chance to fully explore Skyrim so at least I have that to provide some sandbox entertainment, albeit non-mmo. I can't count the number of times I saw someone trash theme park games in favor of sandbox games on here.... now I understand why. I never played any of the pre 2005 sandbox mmos so I feel like I have missed out. Maybe Archage will be that game. Do we even know enough about TSW, Tera or GW2 to determine if they will be just the same old formula? I am no longer going to be a paying lab rat for these mad scientist theme park mmo creating devs. No more carrots!

I lurk here a great deal, because i enjoy a lot of the folks that post here.  Five minutes before i read your post, i had logged off from SWTOR and had come to the exact same conclusion. My wife talked with me a little bit about it, and i just came to realize the exact same thing. I had the same experience with Rift ( although i think it's a fine game ) and i feel the same way about Star Wars.  

I went balls to the walls on my Republic Sage and hit 50.  I did plenty of PvP and plenty of Hard Modes. I switched to Empire and began leveling my Imperial Sniper and although the story is truly outstanding and the Empire side in general just seems so much better....it wasn't enough.  I looked at my screen and said, " sweet frikkin Christmas, if i have to kill 40 more droids, i'm going to explode."  It was then i realized that i have to take these games in bits and paying a continual sub for bits is not going to happen.  

So i've resolved to rotate my games in one month incriments.  I love the games but i just can't take them in large chunks of time anymore.  I am very much looking forward to GW2 as i have been a fan of the original for a very long time and am looking forward to D3. Skyrim will be seeing lots of action as well, but i think i've bought my final themepark as well.  For clarification, I certainly don't hate these games at all, i just personally can't do it for long anymore.  I am looking forward to seeing what Bioware has in store for TOR in the coming months and will enjoy them as i choose.  For those sticking with it and fighting the good fight so to speak, keep it going, and more importantly, have fun! ^ .^

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

Gw2 or archer age...

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by DexterMMO

Gw2 or archer age...

or even dominous i think archage will be a bigger game at release tho ..  def give it a try : )

• KouDyKouDy Member UncommonPosts: 50

As skymourne suggest perhaps solution to themepark syndrom (which i have as well, yes, welcoming myself to the club) really is to rotate the games by months (have say 3 or 4 of them). But that brings one major issue and that is that your guild/corp/whatever will simply outlevel you, outgear you etc... That is major issue if you don't want to spend most of your time seeking new friends (and that's not why most play these games)...

I resubbed EVE before xmas after playing with that idea for like a month (but really constantly considering it). But people i knew are who knows where. I still think one slim chance for a bit different game is EVE but it can turn into too much routine as well.

I too will keep waiting for savior. Tera? Probably no. Firefall looks promising. At least it's a bit different theme (park). Oh World of Tanks is good. It's free, shoot this, move there, explode here. Has it's minuses but it's free and you can play like 2-3 maps (less than hour) just to relax.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by itgrowls

Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

Started thinking about Darkfall again, as I do every 2-3 months. But I'm not happy with Aventurine's management of the game. I want a definitive answer about whether there is going to be a wipe or not prior to 2.0 and they won't cough it up.  I have a level 50 in Rift. It's pretty fun for a themepark game. But, I get bored sooner and sooner because I don't know anyone that plays it. I have a friend who went back to WoW, and I'm even thinking (just toying with the idea) of going back...but really it would only be if I couldn't get the guy to play another game. I can't see myself getting him into Darkfall now with the present state of the game and the grind for someone just starting now. I would have to re-roll, too. It could be fun.

Dont Do It Man! trust me i am in that boat, im on WoW right now, bored as hell. "there's only two things to do eat and poo eat and poop it's like i'm visiting my parents!" is the most accurate way to describe what's happening on WoW right now. Nothing but the same crap that's always been on there. So if you are looking for pve fun i wouldn't suggest it if you REALLY need the social interactions then i'd say go for it. You may just end up being bored out of your mind like I am.

Thanks for the warning. I totally hear you.

I will try to get my friend to roll Darkfall (with the caveat I mentioned above). Otherwise, I am split between Rift and Darkfall -- which are 2 totally different experiences in my opinion.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Darkfall is a great game that needs very little done to it to make it amazing... sadly the DEVs are morons and keep saying the same thing every week.

Instead of fixing Darkfall they are working on what they call Darkfall 2.0 but we dont know when this will be out because the DEVS asy the same thing in every blog..

So its basically forced most people to leave. The NA server is still pretty active tho and might be worth giving it a go there.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Tera and gw2 aren't sandboxes, not even sandparks.

Archage and TSW, and a large list of other sandbox MMO, which the staff at mmorpg.com won't update the development list about. But oh well

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Q: I'm tired of themeparks. What should I do?
    A: Wait for GW2 to come out.
    /boggle

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by DannyGlover

/boggle

My bad Danny, I forgot that GW2 isn't a THEMEPARK mmo

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

/boggle

The OP did specifically ask if we know enough about GW2 to know if it was the same old formula.  My response, at least, was to say that it is a themepark but it doesn't follow the same formula. 

The OP is concerned about doing the same old things in the quest for a series of carrots.  In GW2, you won't be doing the same old things, and they're deemphasizing the carrots.  Not even talking about linear questing during leveling, traditional MMOs get to the point where if you want a reward, you're locked into certain playstyles (raiding, pvp).  GW2 is about letting you do what you want to do, without being on anyone's schedule, with fun being the primary reward and whatever you want to buy with your gold/karma/glory second.

If nothing else, it's B2P so people will be able to play as much or as little as they want without worrying about trying to get their money's worth, or worry about whether or not to unsubscribe.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by cali59

/boggle

The OP did specifically ask if we know enough about GW2 to know if it was the same old formula.  My response, at least, was to say that it is a themepark but it doesn't follow the same formula. 
    The OP is concerned about doing the same old things in the quest for a series of carrots.  In GW2, you won't be doing the same old things, and they're deemphasizing the carrots.  Not even talking about linear questing during leveling, traditional MMOs get to the point where if you want a reward, you're locked into certain playstyles (raiding, pvp).  GW2 is about letting you do what you want to do, without being on anyone's schedule, with fun being the primary reward and whatever you want to buy with your gold/karma/glory second.
    If nothing else, it's B2P so people will be able to play as much or as little as they want without worrying about trying to get their money's worth, or worry about whether or not to unsubscribe.

Its more of a /boggle at a response I see more often that not on these forums. People come here asking for mmo advice and the best some people can come up with is to wait for GW2 or wait for ArcheAge or wait for <insert whatever hyped game is on the table here> There are a ton of unique mmos already out. Just because some people are jaded or blind to what else is out there doesnt mean they have to shovel their bias on someone that is looking for a game they can actually play right now. Just my 2c

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Welcome to our rapidly growing fan club, you'll be receiving your membership card in the mail soon. image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by DannyGloverQ: I'm tired of themeparks. What should I do?
    /boggle
     My bad Danny, I forgot that GW2 isn't a Traditional THEMEPARK mmo

Fixed it for you.

BOOYAKA!

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnl2ScjsWvk&feature=relmfu

So GW2 has a cow race also?

/facepalm

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Guild Wars 2 is going to be very much a theme park game.  So will TERA.  I'm not convinced that ArcheAge won't be mostly theme park, either.  They'll do some things differently from your typical WoW clone, but so did Guild Wars, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Wizard 101, and a number of other games that are very much theme park games.

If the original poster had played, say, WoW, SWTOR, LotRO, Runes of Magic, and some other games that were trying too hard to be WoW-clones, then I'd suggest that maybe a rather different theme park game is in order.  But there's a decent variety in that list of games he's played.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by NBlitz

@Teala

Come on Teala, have some sympathy.

They (those jumping out of the TORtanic) now know better and I believe they shouldn't be kicked even further when they're down.

How it all is going down speaks for itself.

Many are having enough humble pie. There's no need to cram some more down their throats :)

Agreed, and a good attitude to have. I can see the temptation though, I wrote "I can't wait for the threads from people that blindly shelled out $150 for the CE and TOR doesn't turn out to be the game they wanted. I may need a towel handy for the schadenfreudegasm." back at the end of October, and believe me January hasn't disappointed me whatsoever but it's still a shame when anyone loses a pasttime interest. Can only hope they don't buy hype next time. I guess we'll see with GW2.

• SpeedhaakSpeedhaak Member UncommonPosts: 296

Money is king. Publishers are making all the calls for this genre. None of the major contenders (EA, Activision, Ubisoft ect...) are going to chance money on a Sandbox game that has to this point - no real proven forumla for success. I hate to say it, but I honestly think we're stuck with Themepark MMOs for the foreseeable future. 

• HalfmadHalfmad Mortal Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 83

Keeping any eye on Dominus at the moment, has potential but I have high hopes for Darkfall 2.0 whenever that actually happens, never played the first Darkfall myself although I do have a friend who loves it (I just haven't had the time). Hopefully if DF2 happens I'll jump all over it.

Sadly I can't see either of them out anytime soon which leaves me at a loose end. Tempted to give Darkfall a shot but I dont' want to start it only to find out DF2 pop out 2 months later!

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

Originally posted by jpnole

I am old enough to have played the first mmos but I didn't get started until 2005 with WoW. Since that time I played GW, AOC (max level), COH (40s and several alts), Rift (max level) and SWTOR (level 21). By no means am I a mmo vet like some folks on here, but I've played my share. Rewind to Rift. I bought a 6 month sub somehow thinking that it was a different game. It was like I was under a spell. After a month and a half, I hit max level, maxed out my crafting and suddenly it dawned on me that I was just going through the motions. I didn't play for most of the remaining 4 months of my sub time. Now with SWTOR, I had the same burnout at the 3 week mark. I was only level 21 but I maxed out a crafting tier and had the same realization. Fortunately, I only had 30 days of included box time so I was able to cancel today. I realized that I was just chasing that carrot on a  stick. No matter what the game, whether you are level 5, 10, 50 or max level, you are on an endless treadmill with no purpose other than to hit the next level, tier, etc.

I think I am finally ready to say good bye to the same tired old theme park formula and just wait for the right mmo to come out. Who knows when it will be. Due to the SWTOR beta and early access, I didn't get a chance to fully explore Skyrim so at least I have that to provide some sandbox entertainment, albeit non-mmo. I can't count the number of times I saw someone trash theme park games in favor of sandbox games on here.... now I understand why. I never played any of the pre 2005 sandbox mmos so I feel like I have missed out. Maybe Archage will be that game. Do we even know enough about TSW, Tera or GW2 to determine if they will be just the same old formula? I am no longer going to be a paying lab rat for these mad scientist theme park mmo creating devs. No more carrots!

I've felt this way for nearly 7yrs now m8, it doesn't get easier with time, it's unfortunately never

going to change, the devs don't care for me, you or the thousands like us...

We are destined to float from game to game, never finding that lost love & moaning like old men for eternity image

**EDIT**

I too am keeping an eye on dominus, this will be my last ditch effort, if that fails, then no more games for me.

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

• Roland_AsephRoland_Aseph Member UncommonPosts: 137

Fallen Earth 

Sandbox

F2P

Currently playing, has a good & growing community with a solid base.

Just thought I'd mention it.

RA :)

"It'll be dark soon."
    "Aye...that it will."

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Get into an indie game, make some friends, contribute to the development community. If you really want to get off the theme park train, it requires a bit of effort on your part. Make an effort and you will find surprises where you least expect them... the hardest part of this whole thing (and why I find it difficult to do this) is my friends always want to play the latest and greatest themepark MMO and have... choice words... for any of the indie games I've played... oh well...

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Quizzical

Guild Wars 2 is going to be very much a theme park game.  So will TERA.  I'm not convinced that ArcheAge won't be mostly theme park, either.  They'll do some things differently from your typical WoW clone, but so did Guild Wars, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Wizard 101, and a number of other games that are very much theme park games.

If the original poster had played, say, WoW, SWTOR, LotRO, Runes of Magic, and some other games that were trying too hard to be WoW-clones, then I'd suggest that maybe a rather different theme park game is in order.  But there's a decent variety in that list of games he's played.

Quizz nailed it quite well imo.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by Meltdown

Get into an indie game, make some friends, contribute to the development community. If you really want to get off the theme park train, it requires a bit of effort on your part. Make an effort and you will find surprises where you least expect them... the hardest part of this whole thing (and why I find it difficult to do this) is my friends always want to play the latest and greatest themepark MMO and have... choice words... for any of the indie games I've played... oh well...

classic story.

I played EQ2 and didnt really like it all that much but I assumed that  the top titles for MMO's would be as good as it gets because they had the money to spend.

One day I was thinking how cool it would be to have the whole clan have to work at getting the resources to craft something like a cannon which would then be taken on raids as a group.

The very next day I read about Darkfall a month later I played it and for me I was awe-struck on all levels. Now yes I know lots of people dont like the game and that is fine. The point is, in this business lots of money doesnt mean  better and one does have to get off the themepark

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me