Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which region in MMOs is for south east Asia?

KouDyKouDy Member UncommonPosts: 50

Hello everyone,

there is one thing that i am trying to figure out recently. That is into which region are countries of Asia supposed to log for various titles. While my definite problem here is that i am not thinking of specific title but in general. I am moving to Malaysia very soon so i wonder where (and partially what) should i play?

For example EVE Online is easy. One server for whole world (unless you live in China or unless you wish to play on chinese server).

WoW is easy as well as there are servers in Europe, US, South America and Oceania (not sure about China). So south east Asia will easily go play to Oceanic group.

League of Legends is banned. I mean you cannot connect to EU server with EU client from outside of EU IP address (yea, stupid). Or this was the state year ago.

What about games like Tera, Firefall, SWTOR and other big titles?

I know lots (if not all) games are out in South Korea but that is world for its own. They don't bother with translating clients to english.

Would anyone have more experience?

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Many games dont IP lock like that.  I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem connecting to an Oceana server as its really not too far away (if my geography serves).  

Other than that there are always proxies that you can use.  Anyone can spoof an IP location these days with a few minutes worth of looking/research.  

Of course, you can always contact the specific games CS before you purchase or try to connect and see if they have something for you or what their policy is.  But I promise you that if they say you need to use the Asia servers that you will need to learn the language because the English population is going to be so low that it would feel like your playing a game 10 years past its prime (if you only play with English speakers).

Now, I cant say that from expirence, just my best guess.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    you would have to look for oceanic servers, example wow.

but other games won't delicate specifically which 1 is under oceanic, so you have to check their forum.

for TOR, im playing on the swiftsure, western side.

RIP Orc Choppa

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

It's going ot be different for each game so just check with each provider when you get there. Some have dedicated SEA servers, others lump it in with Eastern servers, and in many cases, the SEA publisher is going to be different from the NA/EU publisher.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KouDyKouDy Member UncommonPosts: 50

To add more questions for possible viewers...

In the case there are no Oceanic severs (very likely the case), would you choose west coast of NA or Europe and why (question about personal preference only)?

Thanks for all responses so far.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

remember also that between japan and usa there is a new internet pipe yes it is big,so if you neeed something from usa best bet is probably via japan

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by KouDy

In the case there are no Oceanic severs (very likely the case), would you choose west coast of NA or Europe and why (question about personal preference only)?

Ah, good question. If you have a choice, Pacific or NA -West servers are usually better than EU for SEA gamers because many EU servers will go through the UK, meaning they will probably pass through NA-West anyway, so it's worth it to cut out all those extra hops.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Ah, good question. If you have a choice, Pacific or NA -West servers are usually better than EU for SEA gamers because many EU servers will go through the UK, meaning they will probably pass through NA-West anyway, so it's worth it to cut out all those extra hops.

Now this is interesting observation. I will return here next weekend with trace result from Malaysia to some random websites which have servers in EU to see where the route goes through.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    afaik ,there's no European games being release in this region.

only US, and delicate sea version .

RIP Orc Choppa

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Oceanic servers best but many game don't have those.

So just go case to case basic imho.

Ping servers to check latency and how many hops you need to bypass before you buy certain version of a game.

Not sure what time zone Malaysia is as well, cause that would matter as well I guess.

If some game is IP locked , like you cant connect if you're not in EU or US, you can also use services like TOR or anonymous EU / NA proxies to bypass it.  Good proxy could also help a bit with latency in some cases. For best service you would have to pay propably since for example anonymous free proxies are usually slow and don't work too long ,but afaik it is not very costly.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Most MMOs have a SEA or country specific version, failing that it depends what language you know, they usually go for the nearest English version, which is generally the American version.

Though you seem to only be interested in the big titles, which means you probably want the American version, its rare for a subscription MMO to have local versions in SEA and China & South Korea are usually closed off to foreign players.

I wouldn't mind smaller titles as well but the thing is i don't know about them being out there. When i try to look up some i end up with pretty much same list of games i mostly tried or they don't look appealing to me that much.

For example Runes of Magic has australian servers for sure but then Runes of Magic i tried and didn't quite like.

Malaysia time zone is UTC+8.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Dragon nest global server is located in SEA

League of Legend have SEA edition run by garena

Many eastern F2P mmo have SEA server before global or NA version, example : maple story, perfect world online etc

FPS shooter etc like team fortress 2, killing floor etc have local dedicated server

COD and BF3 also quite playable and BF3 have SEA ranked server

As for most other mainstream mmo, your best bet is proxy tunneling service like battleping/pingbuster etc

Expect around 200-300ms ping even with those services

League of Legends is nice but unless account is shared among the regions (which i am 99% sure it's not) then it's no go. I will not level the account all over again. The game is not enjoyable enough for me.

BF3 indeed has some servers in Singapore and Indonesia which is good. Team Fortress 2... Hmmm maybe that yea, but both these are not really true MMOs.

As for upcoming MMOs i hope EU/NA servers will not have SEA region banned... Still i am asking, some people may have other info i could miss. Good points you have there, thanks.

Sorry for the delay.

So i just tried tracing the routes to either america and europe and it's quite bad. I don't have a clue which way the line goes. My 4th hop is class A IP address. Ping on that hop is quite low so i assume it is within malaysia. 5th hop goes way over 200 or 300ms. Soesn't matter the europe or america. This effectivelly renders vast majority of the games outside SEA unplayable.

Even australia is 200+. If anyone has IP of server for some MMO i can try tracing it.

Specifically i tried EVE Online and it seems to be 13 hops and goes via North America.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Sorry for the delay.

So i just tried tracing the routes to either america and europe and it's quite bad. I don't have a clue which way the line goes. My 4th hop is class A IP address. Ping on that hop is quite low so i assume it is within malaysia. 5th hop goes way over 200 or 300ms. Soesn't matter the europe or america. This effectivelly renders vast majority of the games outside SEA unplayable.

Even australia is 200+. If anyone has IP of server for some MMO i can try tracing it.

Specifically i tried EVE Online and it seems to be 13 hops and goes via North America.

From personal experiance your best bet from SEA is going to be either Ocenaic or US west coast servers. The ping will be deplorable on all of them though. You could look into  services such as Pingcraft.com but as I've never used such service I can't vouch for how useful or trustworthy they are.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I'm in Australia, and when the Darkfall US server was on the west coast USA I got 180-220 ping.

They moved it to the east coast and it went to 280-320 ping. Unplayable for a full loot pvp game.

I get about 270 ping for Lotro which I assume is east USA, but its not so ping dependant (one of the reasons I play).

I don't think WoW host servers in SEA, I believe their Oceaniac servers are hosted in West Coast USA but are rebooted etc to suit our timezone.

Internode host a lot of fps servers but none for MMO's.

We in SEA will have to be content with playing in "hardmode" for a while longer, though its nice to play something like Killing Floor on an Internode server every now and then to experience 40 ping play  :)

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

Yes i have BF3 (there are servers in Singapore with ping around 40 from here from north Malaysia) but i was looking for some local MMO... well Aion is F2P since wednesday so i will wait for a bit for that one and try. If by my measures ping is the same to NA or EU, i may as well stay on EU servers...

EVE tho is mostly going to be unplayable. But actually there are AUS corps there so maybe i could try anyway.