Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommend a non-MMO Game

flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507

Hello everybody,  i have only played MMOs except for Skyrim.  I havent played another game in probably 20 years since i got into MMOs years ago.  But since there is nothing i want to play, i need a recommendation for a great Single Player Game.  I have played Skyrim and loved it but now looking for another single player game to play until maybe TSW is released.  So can you recommend me some games?  Thanks a lot

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Any genres/types of games your looking for? In general perhaps pick up some Bioware game like Mass effect and Dragon Age origins or try Deus Ex. Shooters wise check out Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2. 

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

I just started playing The Witcher 2,its pretty good so far other than some of the corny dialogue.

Also Dead Space 1+2 are on sale on steam for $5.00 each this weekend.

Like Gabby said Deus Ex HR was good too.

• pokrakpokrak Member UncommonPosts: 111

http://reckoning.amalur.com/

this is non mmo game I ill play v soon;)

They say it ill be mmo 1 day

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Any genres/types of games your looking for? In general perhaps pick up some Bioware game like Mass effect and Dragon Age origins or try Deus Ex. Shooters wise check out Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2. 

Prefer some type of fantasy game.  May try Witcher, Dragon Age, or Assassin Creed?  How are these games?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by flguy147

Prefer some type of fantasy game.  May try Wticher, Dragon Age, or Assassin Creed?  How are these games?

I vouch for Witcher 2, Dragon Age 1 and Assasin's Creed: Revelations in precisely that order.

Originally posted by Gdemami

Prefer some type of fantasy game.  May try Wticher, Dragon Age, or Assassin Creed?  How are these games?

I vouch for Witcher 2, Dragon Age 1 and Assasin's Creed: Revelations in precisely that order.

If i have never played Witcher 1, is it ok just to jump right into Witcher 2?  Or should i play Witcher 1 first?

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Prefer some type of fantasy game.  May try Witcher, Dragon Age, or Assassin Creed?  How are these games?

Not a fan of Assassin creed, they arent bad games but your money is better spent elsewhere. As for the witcher series and Dragon Age origins, they are some of the best games available. Origins is one of my favorite games of all time. 

• CambruinCambruin Member UncommonPosts: 70

Morrowind! :) Since you didn't specify a genre; Civilization 4 as turn-based strategy, Age of Empires 2 as real-time strategy. That's about all I (ever) play(ed).

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

If i have never played Witcher 1, is it ok just to jump right into Witcher 2?  Or should i play Witcher 1 first?

Definitely not a problem starting with Witcher 2.

What I would strongly recommend though is to read the books.

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

I liked Call of Juarez 2: Bound in Blood very much.

it has nice story and also a little bit of open-worldness and the american civil war is a differnet theme than the usual fantasy-scifi crap. That's what i can recommend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crbMcCJXZCQ

lower the brightness the graphics look better then.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

Europa Universalis III     :D

• MiserySignalMiserySignal Member UncommonPosts: 40

Darksiders, for great God Of War/Legend of Zelda mix. Takes plenty enough game time to fnish it. Satisfying story.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

As already mentioned Dragon Age 1 & 2 and Witcher 2 are good single player fantasy games.  I would also check out Risen and Arcania: Gothic 4.  And if you liked Skyrim you could always pick up Oblivion.

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

Darksouls if you have a PS3 or Xbox 360.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

Thank you everybody on your input.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

The Witcher 2

Neverwinter Nights

Neverwinter Nights 2

Baldur's Gate

Check out Atari's main site most are bundled now.

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

Hit up GOG.com and do what i do, pick up a classic for 5 bucks and play it more then I do the new games.  They got all the Baulders gates, as well as the first Witcher (if you want more continutity) and tons more for cheap.  Im talking the games we grew up with, as well as some new ones.

I also had a lot of fun with the independent game SPAZ (space pirates vs zombies), a mix between old school Escape Velocity and Star Control 2.

• cure01cure01 Member UncommonPosts: 291

You played Skyrim. Why not try The Elder Scrolls Oblivion and The Elder Scrolls Morrowind?  And  if you like Diablo there  is a simular game Titan Quest.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

If you feel like blowing stuff up try Just Cause 2. It plays similar to the GTA series, but with an additional grappling hook gameplay. Drive a multitude of vehicles, gun down stuff, and very good graphics too.

• MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84

I can't recommend Skyrim enough.  It's a great game that had my full attention previous to SW:TOR.  (For any newcomers to the game, be sure to save the game as soon as you have UI control immediately after the cart ride.  That way you can load from there when you're ready to start new alternative characters without having to repeat the cart ride.)

There are other games available cheaply on Good Old Games that are still fun to play.  I really enjoy Arcanum, Dungeon Keeper, and Alpha Centauri, despite their old graphics and limited resolution. 

There are the old classics Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, if you like the party management adventures (which I definitely do).

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168

Let's see... if you want strategy, I'd suggest Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3. This game gave me many hours of fun.

As far as shooters go, I suggest Borderlands, especially if you have some friends who can play with you for some amazingly fun co-op action.

For a puzzle/platform game, go with Trine/Trine 2. The latter also has a 3-player co-op mode, which can make things rather interesting.

And last, but not least, if you want some RPGs and happen to own a PS2, then try to pick up Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 ASAP, as they're easily the two most awesome games I have ever played. Amazing story, and one of the most strategic and unforgiving battle systems I have ever seen.

• Dwarfman420Dwarfman420 Member Posts: 207

Watch the movie http://youtu.be/izsCRNe8o2w

Then play the game http://youtu.be/SdqY2a9iRXw

Fantastic

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Hello everybody,  i have only played MMOs except for Skyrim.  I havent played another game in probably 20 years since i got into MMOs years ago.  But since there is nothing i want to play, i need a recommendation for a great Single Player Game.  I have played Skyrim and loved it but now looking for another single player game to play until maybe TSW is released.  So can you recommend me some games?  Thanks a lot

Well

1. The Witcher 2 is a great fantasy RPG to play, combat is difficult, with beautiful visuals. It is a bit more scripted than Skyrim.

2. This game isn't actually out, but the demo is out on Jan 17th (tomorrow) which is called Kingdom of Amalur. It is a open world sandbox just like Skyrim which much more action oriented combat system. Story is penned by RA Salvatore with 10000 years of history in the world.

The developer is also using this game as a entry to a MMO project

3. This is a bit shorter in terms gametime compare to the previous two suggestions, but since you play a lot of MMO, I suspect open world your kind of thing, so Batman: Arkham Asylum and its sequel Arkham City is a good open world series. It uses a rhythm based combat mechanics, which focus on timing instead of twitch reflex. It has open world exploration, with puzzles to solve for clues and extra content, also focus on stealth instead of one macho tank.

4. Assassin's Creed series, really similar to the Batman in terms of gameplay. Focus on stealth, platforming and freerunning. The combat is much easier to master. An amazing storyline, a blend of history and imagination. The last two series entry also have a multiplayer option. The best starting point is probably Assassin's Creed 2. The first one is a bit dull in gameplay with a lot of repetition, just wiki the story. And don't bother with the handheld games, terrible.

5. Kingdom Hearts, this is a bit more cartoonish but it uses open world adventure, with no set sequence in how you complete the story. I started playing this when I was a bit younger so it suited me. The worlds are pretty huge for a console game. The music is great as well. The story is a mix between Disney characters and Final Fantasy.

PS: I'm not sure if others have mention these games already, I simply read the request =, plus it would be nice to see what kind of games you are looking for, I'm just basing off on your history with mmos.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Buy the Half-Life Orange Box. It's a FPS with a story. It also comes with Portal. Once you've played that, purchase Portal 2. Total cost is $50. Total enjoyment is priceless.

** edit **
    Also, Bioshock 1 will cost you next to nothing, but is a very good game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Besides Skyrim and Dragon Age I would like to recommend Amensia, The dark descent.

If you are the type of person who can lose yourself in a game then it wil be quite a scary ride. It's mostly story and puzzles (of a sort) to get you through it. There is no fighting. As a matter of fact you can't do anyting bur run, hide or "be careful". Yet it's one of the best games I've ever played.

On steam.

Also on steam, I highly recommend "Vampire The Masquerade". It's a bit older but don't let the graphics dissuade you. One of the best role play games around.

Morrowind is also way up there. Maybe even higher than Skyrim but it won't hold your hand. Also an old game but forget about that, it's amazing. Neverwinter Nights as well.And Silent Hill 2.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo