Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: WTF no Raids

Comments

• Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by Snaylor47

Originally posted by RizelStar

The force is abit too strong for this one guys, might want to let time tell itself lol.

Arguing back in forth won't solve or change any ones mind mainly when unfortunately one hasn't researched he game.

Remember may the common sense be with you and take care.

I actually have a (Albit fading now) interest in this game since I heard about its conception back in 06.

Yes because since I never once looked at gameplay videos or read articals or watched ANets manifesto.

Come on now.

Your posts suggest you haven't watched enough. I could post some good links if you need, but it seems you don't really pay attention and are just here to troll. I'm not sure what to think about you dude. You might wanna use spell check as well. The WoW model is boring and I'm a hardcore gamer. Like I mentioned before, WoW type raids cater to elite types that think stats equal skill. I prefer skilled play over big stats, thanks to ANet for trying to deliver on that.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by enoch420

Raids in WoW are some of the most over rated pieces of content I've ever done.

That's what I'm saying.  They're big dungeons, but people only think of them as massive content because it takes so long to actually beat them because of -

A.) The week long lockouts

B.) Getting a group together

C.) Learning all the patterns that will save you a thousand wipes per night.

That's not content.  What that is, is someone holding a virtual ring of +10 No Life in front of you for months until the next patch is complete.  Raids are only as big as the space they take up, time does not factor into how valuable it is because it's the devs who make them so hard that you have to keep coming back.  I'm through being suckered by these shady mechanics.  Traditional raids aren't that big a deal.

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Originally posted by Msenge

The force is abit too strong for this one guys, might want to let time tell itself lol.

Arguing back in forth won't solve or change any ones mind mainly when unfortunately one hasn't researched he game.

I actually have a (Albit fading now) interest in this game since I heard about its conception back in 06.

Yes because since I never once looked at gameplay videos or read articals or watched ANets manifesto.

Come on now.

You're missing the point that in '06 ANet released GW: Factions, GW: Nightfall, and began working on a 4th installment called GW: Utopia.  GW2 wasn't event a gleam in their eyes in '06.  If you wanted to seem as if you were at all knowledgeable on the topic you would have written, "back in '07."

The exact year in which I veiwed the GW2 site eludes me all I know was that it was before they released any classes.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by DJJazzy

2006? Back to the Future?

Anyway, a game can't be for everyone. Some people want certain things in their mmos, such as raiding, that GW2 won't have. If that's what you want then you might not like this game. Not use putting a square into a round hole.

+1

I would agree if it wasn't for the fact that I am looking forward to the game.

Well that's fine but don't look at the game at what it isn't. This goes for everyone with all games. Just like it irritates me on the SWTOR forums (and here to be honest) about people complaining about what that game isn't. I take it for what it is. Enjoy the game and what it promises for that, not for what you wish it had.

• MsengeMsenge Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by Eir_S

Wait.  You think raids are awesome and full of content, but you have a problem with repeatable DE's?  Is there something I'm missing here?  The raids are being replaced with something different, there won't be less content, it will just be more honest and won't require you to give up your life to be a part of it.  I see no negative aspects of ANet's decision, but I'm confused by your crusade.

You're repeating content in those traditonal raids!  That's all you're doing until the next carrot comes along!

So now you're telling me that there is no difference between rebeatable DE and raids?

So there scaleable raids?

Oh there's a world of difference.  Raids never change, but depending on who is in an area or where, different stages of massive DE chains could be taking place, or nothing at all.  But the fact that you hang onto the traditional ones because they offer prettier trinkets is what gets me.  Or .. doesn't get me.  I'm still confused.  I would never prefer that a company strung me along like they did in WoW just to drain money out of my pocket while I waited another week for the drop I wanted, as opposed to a company whose primary goal is to make sure I have fun, regardless if I win anything or not.

I guess I just don't see raids as a positive thing, and in the game I'm looking forward to, they're replacing them with something that isn't an exercise in frustration.  Good news for me, but sorry about your luck.  However, the way things are changing ever so slowly, there should be plenty of games that adhere to the old ways for a while.

Its very difficult to engage in a conversation with you about this game because you seem to think that everything that ANet has on paper actually works.

You remind me of Ron Paul supporters.

The thing is, a lot of the stuff ANet has been saying has been more than just stuff written on paper.  We've seen and played with their event system at demos.  A lot of the other things too.  The only thinig left to see is if people like and enjoy such things in the live game.

Its very difficult to engage in a conversation with you about this game because you seem to think that everything that ANet has on paper actually works.

Ah, you know what?  When someone mistakenly insulted you a few pages back, I was going to say something.  But you've proven yourself one rung lower by lashing out at me simply because you don't get what I'm saying.  Have at it with your week arguments defending the carrot on a stick for all I care, instead of trying to prove your point to me, you resort to petty bs.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Wait.  You think raids are awesome and full of content, but you have a problem with repeatable DE's?  Is there something I'm missing here?  The raids are being replaced with something different, there won't be less content, it will just be more honest and won't require you to give up your life to be a part of it.  I see no negative aspects of ANet's decision, but I'm confused by your crusade.

You're repeating content in those traditonal raids!  That's all you're doing until the next carrot comes along!

So now you're telling me that there is no difference between rebeatable DE and raids?

Oh there's a world of difference.  Raids never change, but depending on who is in an area or where, different stages of massive DE chains could be taking place, or nothing at all.  But the fact that you hang onto the traditional ones because they offer prettier trinkets is what gets me.  Or .. doesn't get me.  I'm still confused.  I would never prefer that a company strung me along like they did in WoW just to drain money out of my pocket while I waited another week for the drop I wanted, as opposed to a company whose primary goal is to make sure I have fun, regardless if I win anything or not.

I guess I just don't see raids as a positive thing, and in the game I'm looking forward to, they're replacing them with something that isn't an exercise in frustration.  Good news for me, but sorry about your luck.  However, the way things are changing ever so slowly, there should be plenty of games that adhere to the old ways for a while.

Id rather be optomistic than pessimistic about the future.  If they you think they are doing something wrong then tell us.  So far what youve been saying doesnt really work.  there are 1600 DE's.  The likely hood you'll be be repeating them as much as you would repeat raids is slim.    If you really have such a problem with some design elements then just say out of this forum and play some other game.  I promise they WONT change it based on what you said and when it comes out without raids many of us will be happily playing without you if thats your choice.  

A game does not need raids to keep people playing.  Hell, raids is what makes people quit.  

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by enoch420

Come on now.

Your posts suggest you haven't watched enough. I could post some good links if you need, but it seems you don't really pay attention and are just here to troll. I'm not sure what to think about you dude. You might wanna use spell check as well. The WoW model is boring and I'm a hardcore gamer. Like I mentioned before, WoW type raids cater to elite types that think stats equal skill. I prefer skilled play over big stats, thanks to ANet for trying to deliver on that.

enoch it honestly won't help, I have a feeling  he'll say he's seen the latest videos and that the gameplay and everything is not so different from SWTOR or WoW.

Once a person(mainly on the internet) invest so much time on talking down on one thing and good on another it's hard to admit when he/she said something that is glarring illogical or wrong it's all about those guts.

One could argue that it's expressing opinions but it'd be justifiable if it was at least reasonable.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Originally posted by Homitu

Originally posted by Homitu

Originally posted by Daddydazzle

<snippage>

<snip>

<snip> 

<snippity>

<snip>

You don't have to, I know what you are talking about. The GW2 dungeons are supposed to be comparable to GW1's, which were notoriously difficult and even today prove a challenge unless you go with the full hero team of damn near invulnerable sab/spiritway build (and even then, a bad pull = dead). My point is that doesn't mean no other part of GW1 was challenging, and likewise that in GW2 the dungeons are supposed to be particularly difficult doesn't mean the content out of them will be particularly easy, which is the assumption you're making.

I've played enough GW1 to know what to expect from the dungeons in GW2, trust me :P I've commented before on how I nearly lost a monitor to the final dungeon in GWEN when it first came out, due to my uh...frustration. I'm sure the content outside of the dungeons in GW2 will be comparatively easier, but that doesn't mean it won't take teamwork and provide enough of a challenge to give that poster, and others like him, exactly what they are looking for.

Well it's definitely comforting to know that GW has a history of difficulty.  But like you said, we really can't claim one way or the other until we play the game.  You can suspect world dynamic events will be difficult, and I can suspect they will be easy, but neither of us really know.  Then again, that's what these forum conversations are about: how we suspect the game will play and why.  (In response to the obligatory dozen "What a pointless topic" posts that fill every such thread: Are these conversations productive?  Not really.  Are they fun for many fans who are eagerly awaiting a title?  Definitely.)

As for my reasons, well they remain the same.  If Anet says the dungeons are meant to be particularly difficult relative to world DEs, then it is implied that the world DEs are "particularly easy."  No assumption necessary.   "Particularly easy" and "particularly difficult" are relative terms, comparing the difficulty of A to the difficulty of B.

And, of course, DEs are designed to be completed by a collage of random players coming together quickly who will act with minimal coordination.  They will be balanced around this assumed chaos/lack of coordination.  Compare that to structured raids, which are balanced around the assumption that everyone will be organized, gven a specific role, and have a planned out strategy--or at least will be able to develop and perfect a strategy over time.  Unless you argue that overcoming chaos on-the-fly via in-game chat communication will provide a challenge in its own right.  

I mean I suppose they could design a few DEs to be failed most of the time, since even failing a DE would progress the chain in another direction.  They could give certain DEs the complex mechanics of traditional raid bosses, causing them to absolutely slaughter any random group of players who engage in the DE, thereby requiring organized guilds to come in to take care of them.  World bosses and Notorious Monsters used to work like this in FFXI.  No random group of pugs could hope to take down the toughest NMs.  Instead the server's best guilds would be alerted; then they would race each other to swoop in and claim the mob first.  Of course, in GW2 everything would be cooperative, not competitive in that regard.  Nevertheless, we haven't heard of any such difficulty concept concerning DEs.  

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by DJJazzy

*snip*

I would agree if it wasn't for the fact that I am looking forward to the game.

Well that's fine but don't look at the game at what it isn't. This goes for everyone with all games. Just like it irritates me on the SWTOR forums (and here to be honest) about people complaining about what that game isn't. I take it for what it is. Enjoy the game and what it promises for that, not for what you wish it had.

Exactly. The only people that will definitely be disappointed with Guild Wars 2, are those that fail to see the game for what it is and only look for the game they want it to be. ArenaNet haven't been dodging the issue Snaylor... they have outright said "there will be no raids, in a traditional sense in GW2". I don't see why people bitch about it on the forums, because the game won't change it's design and target audience, just to meet a demand that has been met eslewhere. The game won't lack content for it because one less raid could mean 1 more dungeon or dynamic event.

So those that want the traditional raids shouldn't be looking at this game in the 1st place, because doing so will only lead to disappointment and turn this forum into the SW:TOR forums at launch, from all those that wanted a good PvP game.

• Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by marinrider

Id rather be optomistic than pessimistic about the future.  If they you think they are doing something wrong then tell us.  So far what youve been saying doesnt really work.  there are 1600 DE's.  The likely hood you'll be be repeating them as much as you would repeat raids is slim.    If you really have such a problem with some design elements then just say out of this forum and play some other game.  I promise they WONT change it based on what you said and when it comes out without raids many of us will be happily playing without you if thats your choice.  

A game does not need raids to keep people playing.  Hell, raids is what makes people quit.  

Raids are why I quit WoW. Paying to be stressed out wasn't fun, especially when you had to do it over and over to get an item to drop. I support Ron Paul. ;) 

• splitcoldsplitcold Member Posts: 73

I am so happy, never liked raids and I will get this game for sure.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Having no raid was one of the major selling points.Did that with a top ranked guild in WOW for about 10 months, it had a few bright moments but 99% of the time was just waiting around and/or listening to a live version of "Lord of the Flies".

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Bunks

Having no raid was one of the major selling points.Did that with a top ranked guild in WOW for about 10 months, it had a few bright moments but 99% of the time was just waiting around and/or listening to a live version of "Lord of the Flies".

Hah! I like that description.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Snaylor47:

Watch this. Note especially the comment by the guide at around 33:30. He explains why this is very similar to a raid (with marked improvements), but out in the world so anyone can do it when it happens. You don't have to spend a couple of hours getting dozens of people together to go to an instance. The fight happens in the open world, and you win or you lose based on the skill and coordination of a group. It can be ad hoc, or it can be a coordinated guild. But the random solo player can see it happened, and feel like a part of it, and that is part of what Anet wants.

If you don't get it after that, you just won't understand the point people are trying to make.

Here are some other good video links for you.

Guild Wars 2 Developer Talk - Eurogamer 2011 - Part 1

Guild Wars 2 Developer Talk - Eurogamer 2011 - Part 2

Necromancer Gameplay

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by headphones

Originally posted by pharazonic

Can't be the only one who see this as a negative can I?

At the end of the day no raids= Less content to do imo.

Broaden your mind. 

Raiding isn't all that constitutes "content". 

Off topic, but you have touched upon a great point. It's kind of pathetic how last-gen outdated, antiquated MMOs have brainwashed the playerbase to immediately equate content with instanced raiding. 

i'm also amazed how they equate raiding with "difficult" or "challenging" when the only real difficulty is arranging a group, keeping them together, and then distributing the loot.

Um Raids are far more difficult then your average dungeon and to your average player.

Now I can't help but think you're somewhat of an elistist.

i'm no elitist.

i just can't see the difficulty. i mean, what are they other than a set series of mobs with their stats increased? and the bosses nothing more than a set series of events? it's mario bros all over. worse, these raids can be "learnt" and "known" sot here's not even any element of risk or surprise after a while. the boss will never do anything different. the only way you can fail is when person x doesn't use x ability at the right time. yawn.

i don't find memory games very exciting, i'm sorry. i like a challenge. i like to not know what's around the corner. it's why i've always called for random dungeon spawns and a nice cycle of boss skills that get used randomly, not at set points. i don't want to know that when boss x gets to1/3 health, it will do x. how boring! there's no challenge there. no difficulty. just because it takes a bit more time to kill it, doesn't make it any harder. it really doesn't.

edit: to put it in perspective, it's like saying a rubik's cube is so difficult to master while you're sitting there with the solution book on your knee.

Originally posted by headphones

i'm no elitist.

i just can't see the difficulty. i mean, what are they other than a set series of mobs with their stats increased? and the bosses nothing more than a set series of events? it's mario bros all over. worse, these raids can be "learnt" and "known" sot here's not even any element of risk or surprise after a while. the boss will never do anything different. the only way you can fail is when person x doesn't use x ability at the right time. yawn.

i don't find memory games very exciting, i'm sorry.

Exactly.  People don't realize how psychologically manipulative raids and traditional loot drops are, how they just keep you playing "a little longer" in order to get what you're looking for, even though the chances of doing it in anything resembling a sane time frame are depressingly low.  That isn't an opinion.  It's a fact that that's what most MMO devs plan their subscription fees around: keeping you chasing the carrot.  It's co-dependent behavior.  People do it because it doesn't require much effort but gives you the hope that you'll find some kind of fulfillment, even if short-lived and hollow.  The problems with people showing up and not knowing the fights are the least of your worries.

Anyone who argues that it's worthwhile content probably beat every raid the first time through.  Since that's highly unlikely, I'm to assume those people haven't caught the carrot yet.  Keep going, you've almost got it.

As far as the straight up mechanics go: that thing you said.  People actually consider themselves WoW gods for having the ability to play what is essentially a memory game.  Does it make them better players?  Not really.  Animals can recognize patterns.  We're no different in that regard, but when we don't change the behavior or at least recognize it, it shows me there's not much to separate us from them.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Can't be the only one who see this as a negative can I?

At the end of the day no raids= Less content to do imo.

The first thing to take into consideration is that developer time is limited.  Working on traditional raids would take people away from working on other things.  So in one sense, there would be the same amount of content, it would just be different content.  I think this answer has sort of been given already but I want to repeat it because I'm going to refer back to it.

I understand the desire to want more variety of content.  I think that's where you're coming from.  If GW2 has some traditional raid encounters, then there would be more varieties of things to do, which presumably would be better.

The thing is though that adding one thing might be detrimental to something else.  For example, I've seen it said that instead of just having DEs, GW2 should also have traditional quests in the open world in order to have that variety of content.  But then you run into potential problems, like taking away the time to develop DEs, or having the same traditional quest problems in your game that DEs are trying to solve in the first place, or having one be the path of least resistance (doing quests to level faster and ignoring DEs).  The open world is probably better off not having traditional quests in it, but they are able to provide that quest feeling by adding a personal story as well.

That's how I think you have to look at raiding.  They could add traditional raiding, but would it work in a game that is trying to eliminate mandatory grind?  What would the rewards be if even the hard dungeons only given tokens for vanity skins?  Do open world encounters that scale up to 100 people do enough to scratch the itch of people who want the mass battles, but without the downside?  If you took the time to make a raid and instead went and made a huge DE chain that led up to a boss fight (or 2 or 3 or 4) would the game be better or worse than if you made a traditional raid instance?

I think these are questions that ArenaNet asked and decided they were better off not doing traditional raiding.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

There are raids.  Seen how high those dynamic events scale up to?  Yeah..some can scale up to extremely high 60+ numbers o.o  If those arent raids well...Idk what is.

Dungeons are high difficulty content that are like what raids are like in WoW except for less people.  Dynamic content handles the large number of people content.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Originally posted by Castillle

There are raids.  Seen how high those dynamic events scale up to?  Yeah..some can scale up to extremely high 60+ numbers o.o  If those arent raids well...Idk what is.

You just said it!  They're dynamic events.  However, my pedantry aside, if you wanted to call them raids, it wouldn't really matter to me, but when most people refer to raids, they are specifically talking about the way most MMOs currently out define the term.  ANet even states there won't be raids "in the traditional sense".  Besides, I always pictured a raid as you know.. a raid on something.. attacking a castle etc.  In GW2 it's almost safe to say most of the "raids" come to you.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

NO RAIDS!!!!  Count me in!

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Really? No Raids?  This is the first selling point that actually has me interested in GW2.   I may pick up this game yet.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

In my experience when ppl say that they dont want raids, they mean that they dont want to play the gear threadmill that is usually associated with it. And they dont want to plan weeknights ahead when to do them because of the lockout.

This doesnt mean that GW2 wont have massive 'raidstrength' bosses. Like others already mentioned the later epicscale events can scale up to a lot of players and the bosses' strenght and skills will adapt to that. There is fortunately no lockout for these and you dont need to do them for some piece gear. The whole game is designed that way. There is no 'you need to do that dungeon or that event for that particular item'.  You make your own path.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

is it cool to hate on raiding nowadays or something ?

I am glad that there is no form of instanced raiding in GW2, but that's only because right now i am raiding in WoW and have been doing that for the past 4 years and im looking for something fresh.

People that say the only hard thing about raiding is gathering the group have honestly never been raiding in  a game that takes raiding rather serious. Most raiding fights in WoW are rather complicated to figuire out. It's a puzzle which you need to complete and that sure is allot of fun when you completing those fights one-by-one which your 25 buddy's. People that i raid with in WoW care nothing about gear and we really only get gear so we can beat the upcomming content.

yes it's a carrot on a stick thing but for us raiders it's fine. WoW is a shit MMO but the raiding is simply the best i've seen. I'll be playing Guild Wars for the MMO feel :)

Well I'm glad someone had a good experience with WoW raiding.  To think that there are raiders who "don't care about gear" is pretty foreign to me, since I've never once seen this.  

But I agree, sort of, about the puzzle to be solved.  After those first guilds down the bosses though, no one else is solving squat, they're just watching the videos on Youtube and doing what that other guild did.