Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online: Cancelled?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a rumor report at Kotaku, games industry insiders are reporting that THQ is readying itself for sale by divesting itself of properties as well as cancelling any titles due for release in 2014. The latter includes Warhammer 40K: Dark Millenium Online.

THQ's stock has tumbled from $6.00 per share last year to $0.66 per share currently.

We will keep you posted as this story develops.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

I hope it does not get cannceled I wanted looking forward to this game.

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Well,I think they were going about making this MMO all wrong anyways..

2 factions..and themepark WoW style?  sounds like just another 1-2 month wonder to me.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

To be honest i am pretty sure this game did not have a snowballs chance in hell... It is not a good setting for a MMO and i have a hard time seeing it work as a PvE game.

This have been a good conversation

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I wondered how they dared to make a warhammer game when the first one failed so badly.
    The Fanbase did not save the first one, why should the second one have a better chance?

Ok, i am not a fan of Warhammer at all and no, i dont think that World of Warcraft is good either - it only was a computer game that had a good multiplayer support when everything else was vastly inferior.

So i could not care less...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• AndrosTRBAndrosTRB Member UncommonPosts: 15

How in the frozen hell did their stock drop from 6$ to 0.6$ in one year? They are not some left out small company, they were doing stuff! Economical crisis my ass, this is absurd!

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

2 factions....Wasn't looking too forward to this, worried it would be WAR again...

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

Warhammer won't be able to compete anyways. No when they are going the traditional route. That check list mentality is dying and will be dead by the end of the year.

• AndrosTRBAndrosTRB Member UncommonPosts: 15

Originally posted by Sideras

Warhammer won't be able to compete anyways. No when they are going the traditional route. That check list mentality is dying and will be dead by the end of the year.

But that's the thing: Warhammer is such a rich universe with a solid lore and feel. 40k is THE opporunity for new mmo mechanics - Squad management, planetary invasions, 6 or more factions with no alliance between them strategically attacking and retreating. It's too bad Dark Millenium didn't seem to tkae full advantage of the license (from what I read and saw)

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by Thorqemada

I wondered how they dared to make a warhammer game when the first one failed so badly.

The Fanbase did not save the first one, why should the second one have a better chance?

Ok, i am not a fan of Warhammer at all and no, i dont think that World of Warcraft is good either - it only was a computer game that had a good multiplayer support when everything else was vastly inferior.

So i could not care less...

For the record Warhammer 40k is a different intellectual property than Warhammer Online.  The lore and stories for both games are very different.

The Warhammer 40k franchise has been more developed over the years because of the 40k Dawn of War series (DOW the RTS and the 9-part DOW2 action series).  Also there has been a first person shooter for Warhammer (SPACE MARINE).  The game also spun off a DnD style online game that was popular in the 90s and a very large fan fiction following (http://www.fanfiction.net/game/Warhammer/)

The 40k franchise is ar more popular than the Warhammer franchise.

Warhammer Online was made by EA-Mythic ONLY because they deal with fantasy games (Dark Age of Camelot) and they could not get the 40k license.

The 40k license was already owned by THQ which has been making wildly successful Warhammer 40k games with it.

If 40k launched I'm sure it would have did great sales to pay off its development and would have at least three months worth of subscriptions.... which is a lot for this industry.

Originally posted by AndrosTRB

Originally posted by Sideras Warhammer won't be able to compete anyways. No when they are going the traditional route. That check list mentality is dying and will be dead by the end of the year.  
    But that's the thing: Warhammer is such a rich universe with a solid lore and feel. 40k is THE opporunity for new mmo mechanics - Squad management, planetary invasions, 6 or more factions with no alliance between them strategically attacking and retreating. It's too bad Dark Millenium didn't seem to tkae full advantage of the license (from what I read and saw)

That is why i have ever wished that someone would make a true Battletech-MMO-RPG-SIM.
    The rich universe, the many factions, the state of unrest between all factions, the strategy, the sim-character of the tactical combat instead of being one more point & click to death fps.
    Now i am happy to get at least a probably well thought combat simulator that changes the persistent map of the universe with planetary takeovers as the result of the combat missions you play and if its successfull it may grow into more.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

This.......makes me very sad. I love the 40k universe and was looking forward to seeing how this turned out.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

I'm just hoping that we don't see an announcement that EA has purchased THQ and resurrected the 40k mmo.  Better the game die than suffer that fate.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

That is why i have ever wished that someone would make a true Battletech-MMO-RPG-SIM.

The rich universe, the many factions, the state of unrest between all factions, the strategy, the sim-character of the tactical combat instead of being one more point & click to death fps.

Now i am happy to get at least a probably well thought combat simulator that changes the persistent map of the universe with planetary takeovers as the result of the combat missions you play and if its successfull it may grow into more.

So you're telling me that:  http://mwomercs.com/ won't count huh?

That sucks.  I'd rather be jockeying than running around trying to RP crap.  Give me my V-Tol or my hovercraft over your mech anyday.  My machine gun crits will rip any mech you field to shreds.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by AndrosTRB

Originally posted by Sideras

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by augustgrace

I'm just hoping that we don't see an announcement that EA has purchased THQ and resurrected the 40k mmo.  Better the game die than suffer that fate.

Amen.

Originally posted by Ikeda

So you're telling me that:  http://mwomercs.com/ won't count huh?
    That sucks.  I'd rather be jockeying than running around trying to RP crap.  Give me my V-Tol or my hovercraft over your mech anyday.  My machine gun crits will rip any mech you field to shreds.

In your dreams :D

• Sys7emSys7em Member UncommonPosts: 120

R.I.P. THQ :(

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by augustgrace

Amen.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Someone should save their lunch money and buy the game from THQ. I've been trying to win the lottery just in case something like this happens, but so far that plan hasn't worked out.

Also, these are just Twitter rumors (so far).

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168

This is bad news in my eyes, as THQ was one of my favorite publishers... and I was actually looking forward to playing an ORK in DMO.

Let's just hope Atlus shares don't drop too, because then I'd be really, really sad. No more Shin Megami Tensei games would probably make me cry like a little girl.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by tank017

Well,I think they were going about making this MMO all wrong anyways..

2 factions..and themepark WoW style?  sounds like just another 1-2 month wonder to me.

+1 on that. it looked nice and all from what I had seen but PvP focused with only 2 factions ? recipe for failure as we have seen countless times before. Shoulda been minimum 3 factions for pvp.

Ontop of that the Devs seemed unable to let go of WoW's nutsack and it seemed like they were happilt puting away at a 40k themed wowclone which would have sucked.

The Great shame here is possibly the loss of THQ as a publisher.

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Vigil Games, they probobly don't know what the fuck is Warhammer Online, hence the reason why they are failing so badly. They are blinded by Stereotypes of other Warhammer games, and miss the failures of other to become nothing more then another failure. Vigil games should of made other games before taking a dip in the MMO's deadly waves.

• scabbedangelscabbedangel Member UncommonPosts: 117

THQ has released an official statement on the matter.

"THQ has not cancelled its 2014 line-up, and has not made any decisions regarding the planned MMO. As part of the ongoing review of our business, we have made decisions to ensure that the company is strategically addressing the most attractive markets. As we have previously announced, we have dramatically reduced our commitment to the kids' boxed games sector which leads to a significantly more focused release schedule moving forward. Our slate for calendar 2012 and beyond is focused on high-quality core games and continues to build our digital platform and business. We are excited for our pipeline of original and high-quality content along with our relationships with some of the best talent in the industry."

• freakishbeanfreakishbean Member UncommonPosts: 176

THQ is not being sold, Warhammer 40k DMO was not canned. THQ came out and said so. I'm more willing to beleive the Publisher over a rumour mill.

Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

canceled or not, imho this game is outdated even b4 it comes out.

But thats just mho.

I loved the 1st warhammer tough.....i cant see why people break this game down.....i NEVER had lag in pvp, bugged quests or anything like that.

Hell i am playing swtor now and it has way more bugs then warhammer did when it came out.

(this doesnt mean i am trolling on swtor.....playing it loving it tough).