Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Canceled

Apparently THQ is dying and giving this game the axe, sorry. I was very excited for this one to come out and be good.

http://kotaku.com/5876253/thq-wipes-out-games-planned-for-2014-to-ready-itself-for-sale-says-insider

Comments

• udorusudorus Member Posts: 79

sad news indeed

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

This does not bode well :(.

I really hope whoever buys up THQ will revive this project! DMO40k has huge potential imo...

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

Nice now it wont become a faction vs faction theme park that everyone complains about after overhyping.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Guess this explains the lack of info..........

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Yep. All that came out in 2011 was a video of re-hashed footage from the first trailer lol...

This was supposed to be their big reveal year, but oh well. 

Oh well. All we can do is wait and see now.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • GeobardiGeobardi Member Posts: 68

I hope it's only a rumor and it has not been cancelled, i had high hopes in this game, i really like the universe of Warhammer 40k, and the footage of the trailer showed really interesting things. Let's wait and hope they don't give up with this game...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

So unless someone else buys it the project gets cancelled?

Too bad but it sounded like they were making the same misstakes that Mythic did with WAR so lets hope someone really competent take over the license and make it into the game 40K deserves.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Austere times are biting hard. Sympathies to the company.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by nyxium

Austere times are biting hard. Sympathies to the company.

Yeah, there have been many companies that have cut down a lot since the crisis of 2008, and MMOs take a lot longer to get in the money on than regular games because of the long development time so they are probably worse hit than single player game devs.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by geobardi
    I hope it's only a rumor and it has not been cancelled, i had high hopes in this game, i really like the universe of Warhammer 40k, and the footage of the trailer showed really interesting things. Let's wait and hope they don't give up with this game...

This is all rumors from Twitter. There's no actual proof of anything. Wait for actual proof before you start throwing coffin nails at THQ. In the meantime, start saving up money so you can buy the Warhammer license and make the game you want to see.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by lizardbones

This is all rumors from Twitter. There's no actual proof of anything. Wait for actual proof before you start throwing coffin nails at THQ. In the meantime, start saving up money so you can buy the Warhammer license and make the game you want to see.

I'm thinking the rumors are true, and if they aren't, people are going to be dumping their stock in the company anyway. It's likely going to happen either way.

I'm in agreement with Loke here, but am still very sad. Waiting another decade or so for another company to give it a go is a disappointing thought.

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• StMichaelStMichael Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by Loke666

So unless someone else buys it the project gets cancelled?

Too bad but it sounded like they were making the same misstakes that Mythic did with WAR so lets hope someone really competent take over the license and make it into the game 40K deserves.

What mistakes? I'm at a loss for how the game is even remotely similar to WAR. 3rd person shooter, in house game engine, well established stylized art headed up by a renowned comic book artist, vehicles with physics, moment-to-moment gameplay modeled around console gaming standards rather than the dated everquest model.

Oh, you mean a two faction system that games workshop designed specifically for their worldwide campaigns years before world of warcraft was released which will carry over to every large scale warhammer game ever made, don't you?

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Perhaps it will resurrect as a 3-faction mmo... I can dream can't I?

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

I'm thinking the rumors are true, and if they aren't, people are going to be dumping their stock in the company anyway. It's likely going to happen either way.

I'm in agreement with Loke here, but am still very sad. Waiting another decade or so for another company to give it a go is a disappointing thought.

I don't think you understand how shares work.  When a share is less valuable (60 cents) you dump it then.

When a rumor comes out that the studio might sell to someone bigger you hold on to your shares.  In fact, it wouldn't even be a bad idea to pick up more shares.  If a big studio buys this little studio there will likely be a merger.  But what will exist is a new source of funding for games and the studio will keep on track.

Warhammer 40k's license is pretty valuable.  I wouldn't be surprised if some Asian company like Perfect World International bought this studio outright just so they could finish up Warhammer 40k and release it as a f2p MMO.

• MeyounowMeyounow Member Posts: 23

Read this first before start listening to that clown OP.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer/comments/oib5w/thq_dead_trying_to_sell_everything_off_to_other/

if anyone is interested in the thread.

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by troublmaker

I don't think you understand how shares work.  When a share is less valuable (60 cents) you dump it then.

When a rumor comes out that the studio might sell to someone bigger you hold on to your shares.  In fact, it wouldn't even be a bad idea to pick up more shares.  If a big studio buys this little studio there will likely be a merger.  But what will exist is a new source of funding for games and the studio will keep on track.

Warhammer 40k's license is pretty valuable.  I wouldn't be surprised if some Asian company like Perfect World International bought this studio outright just so they could finish up Warhammer 40k and release it as a f2p MMO.

I was under the impression the company was much larger. Turns out they're a fraction of the bigger guys.

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

Originally posted by DexterMMO

Nice now it wont become a faction vs faction theme park that everyone complains about after overhyping.

Beat me to it. Agree 100%.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by grawss

Rumors denied.

Game looks to still be on.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by red_cruiser

Originally posted by DexterMMO

Beat me to it. Agree 100%.

[Update] THQ's chief spokesperson has issued a statement denying the rumor that it has canceled its 2014 projects.

"THQ has not cancelled its 2014 line-up, and has not made any decisions regarding the planned MMO. As part of the ongoing review of our business, we have made decisions to ensure that the company is strategically addressing the most attractive markets. As we have previously announced, we have dramatically reduced our commitment to the kids' boxed games sector which leads to a significantly more focused release schedule moving forward. Our slate for calendar 2012 and beyond is focused on high-quality core games and continues to build our digital platform and business. We are excited for our pipeline of original and high-quality content along with our relationships with some of the best talent in the industry.

• f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194

I'm sure they'll keep the license so nobody else can develop one either.  Unless they go completely out of business and will need to sell it with the game, or merge.  If this company keeps bleeding and just barely surviving that will be the worst for the MMO.

• BrodterBrodter Member Posts: 73
    Huh? Are they shutting down?

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Last I heard they were continuing with it
  • WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I thought DOW2 was underwhelming.  Pretty game, but underwhelming in scope compared to what DOW1 did.  DOW1 + Expansions is a juggernaught still for RTS games.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

look at there stock. its down to around 30 cents i think. also, a bunch of ex employees got together and made a list of reasons the company went down.