Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Innovation in the Old Republic

1235»

Comments

• CripnoahCripnoah Member Posts: 128

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Zzad

Innovation?? Where?? where???

I bought the deluxe digital edition...i have a lvl 26 character & i´m already bored to my bones with the game....

Probably going back to RIFT in another month untill GW2 comes out....

Uhm, because Rit is so innovative???

dynamic outdoor content. That world feeling that seems lost these days.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Cripnoah

I bought the deluxe digital edition...i have a lvl 26 character & i´m already bored to my bones with the game....

dynamic outdoor content. That world feeling that seems lost these days.

Semi-random spawns that scale to the number of people in the area is not new, nor is it dynamic.  Some MMOs have been doing it for the past 7 years or so.  I know of one in particular that has been doing it since the day it went live, City Of Heroes.  That game even has a much more realistic and living world than Rift ever thought of too, and not because it has a "modern" setting, but because there are so many NPCs as well as players walking around, talking, and just plain doing things. 

The one big complaint I have with SWTOR is that it , so far, does not have this kind of dynamic world.  As for Rift, even with as long as that game has been out, it still does not have a dynamic world.  Pitiful.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Combat is not innovative.  DC Universe Online is a hack and slash style instead of the usual auto attack.

Age of Conan offers something closer to TOR.

• rwhodrwhod Member Posts: 18
    Lol, companions are your auto-attack.

This game has a lot of promise, and has a lot of room for improvement.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

This is a losing battle.  The only thing close to being innovative are companions and massive voice overs.  The problem is that companions are simply more interesting combat pets and the voice overs went too far in my opinion.

SWTOR is a good game, but innovative it is not.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

How much is EA paying you, MMORPG.COM?

Im sorry but there isn't a single person on the world who would actually believe any of this, it's kinda like the PC GAMER "RPG of the decade" 93/100 GOTYAY review of Dragon Age 2.

Let's not forget about the "No Elves manifesto" (lol swtor is sci-fi elves are fantasy we bash elves ea gives us money huehuehue)....

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• MimzelMimzel Member UncommonPosts: 375

I have a hard time calling SWTOR innovative. Yes, the voice over is innovative concidering the sheer volume of it in this game. However, many games have voice overs, so they are not exactly inventing the wheel. They simply have the wallet to do it.

Innovation... hmmm what does the word really mean? I thought it had something to do with clever solutions to old problems, or radical new ways of doing things. Innovative solutions in one game tend to be lended by other titles. Look at wow. It borrowed innovative features from other games. Each of those successful features we come to expect from AAA games started out as innovations.

So - what does SWTOR bring that is likely to be copied by other titles? What old problems did it really innovate? Im sorry, I cant really say that Im seeing anything.

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

Normally, I like Isabelle's columns ... but, really?  Maybe WoW back in the day was the same way for EQ players at the time, but to me, there hasn't been an MMO since WoW where I couldn't direclty compare the new game to WoW.

Every new MMO seems to be WoW with different skins or different spell names.  I can look at every skill in a new game and tell you the quivelent of the old dd, dot, hot, snare, buff, etc in the previous game. 

Yeah, the voice acting is cool, but the game mechanics are nearly identical.  Maybe the game's fun for some, but to say that there's anything remotely new from a gameplay standpoint in recent MMOs like WAR, Rift or TOR is inaccurate.  They're straight up clones and even WoW peaked back in TBC and has been dragging the genre down with it ever since.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Leaving auto-attacks out of bog-standard MMORPG combat was indeed an innovative decision - everyone said so when Allods did it a couple of years ago, anyway.

Giving everyone a companion was indeed an innovative decision - everyone said so when Aika did it a couple of years ago, anyway.

Making crafting take real time was indeed an innovative decision - everyone said so when Fallen Earth did it a couple of years ago, anyway.

In the world of SW:TOR, "innovation" means "something that was copied from a game other than WoW"

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Weak article. I love SWTOR, but even I'm not foolish enough to attempt to argue that it is innovative when it just plain isn't.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by LordOfPit

Blizzard has (and is) crafted WoW to be such a generic all-encompassing experience that one can claim that every other game out there that uses TAB to switch targets and the number keys to initiates attacks, is like WoW.

If BioWare would've fashioned an entirely original experience, it'd take so long for most people to learn and get good with it that most people would quit because they would be too attached to the experiences they've had in WoW or any of the other MMO's that utilize the same gameplay concepts WoW does.

Is SWTOR innovative? The answer is entirely subjective and for me, it's a resounding YES because SWTOR is the first game I'm willing to pay a subscription fee for based on its' Roleplay, stories and not just gameplay.

so you mean games like tera will fail? since well you can't tab to find targets there, and have to dodge attacks.

also you say people would quit because it would be hard to learn something new (the goverment really should like more people like you mind you ), so tell me waht is the diference now? people are quiting because they are done with story and don't have anything else to do, or too bored to grind for equips

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,976

The problem with small steps is no one seems to remember them. Inovation has been nearly non-exsistant since Lotro, which in itself only took a few small steps.

The problem long term is the good bits are not brought forward to new MMO's. When will we see voice acting and good story as good as this again? Think of all the things that have been left behind, you will realise that no idea, no matter how good has an automatic pass into the next MMO:

Buddy system in CoX

Monster v Charecters, if you dont have PvP.

3 Realms in realm v realm.

Guild Housing.

Guild vessel PvP.

FPS hybrid combat system, like in DDO.

Meaningful choices. E.g. you join a faction, it gives you benefits, you can't change sides.

All great gameplay, all now only occasionaly appearing in a MMO. Small steps only work if you remenber to use them again.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

WoW... trying to say that the Kettle was a few spots of Grey aren't we? The game is not innovative no matter how you are going to sugar coat it.

Just accept that fact and move on let those that like it continue playing it and those that do not play something else.

Can a noze get more brown than that?

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

No innovations in SWTOR except for the voice acting dialogues (though lots of player answers are repeated 100 times - like "just show me where the fun is"). Most things are blindly copy-pasted from WoW without bothering to review them, some must-have things not implemented (like auto-grouping ect.). Lame PvP. Yeah - the game is great thanks to the SW theme and plot, but it won't last long, as devs are having lots of endgame issues they haven't anticipated.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

lost all respect at any blogger who tries to pawn off SWTOR as innovative.  It's WoW 2008 meets ME.

• TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234

Originally posted by Volkon

Guild Wars 2 is designed with no auto-attack either by intent... the idea is to help make combat more interactive and actiony.

DDO has no auto-attack (well you can switch on the Options) and I love it. It's more immersive. I also love the combat in AoC for the same reason.

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by adamastor

Originally posted by Volkon

Guild Wars 2 is designed with no auto-attack either by intent... the idea is to help make combat more interactive and actiony.

DDO has no auto-attack (well you can switch on the Options) and I love it. It's more immersive. I also love the combat in AoC for the same reason.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with auto attack.  It just works better with some combat systems than others.  In TOR, to me, it felt more like they had issues getting attack animations to work simultaneously, or supercede each other well, so they couldn't have an auto-attack.  It would've made the ability delay issue even worse.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

good point there Loke666 ;)

Obviuosly is not because of that.... hehe

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Hype around “We want something new!” has been created only by VERY VOCAL minority of "never-been-content-in-my-life" gamers. Period. There are many however things, that I do care a lot, playabilty, when every press of button, every move with mouse, .... does exactly what it should, laggless play, bugfree play, good quests (and here really rocks, all voiced, incredibly immersive, ...) .... I like also crafting.

So far Swtor is one of the absolutely best gaming experiences of any genre for me and my 50yrs.:-) Very close if not better then wow, then Rift.