Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to update this PC - need new hardware for new MMOs / Skyrim

DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

Hi

I got this PC:

EVGA nForce 780i

Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 @ 3.0

Zotac GeForce 9800GTX 512MB

Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G (8 gb)

Zalman GT1000 Gaming Case

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

ThermalTake BlueOrb FX Cooler

WD Raptor X 150GB

750GB SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F1 32MB 7200RPM

OCZ GameXStream 850 watt

Any thoughts on how I could make this PC updated for minimum costs? Do I absolutely need a new motherboard?

I would like to play Skyrim, Total War, new MMOs..

Comments

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

Low Budget - GTX 560ti (250$)

Medium Budget - new mobo/i5 2500k/ddr3 ram (400$)

Large Budget - Mobo/ i7 2600k/ 8-16gb ddr 3/ GTX 560 ti ( 600$)

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

There are some new MMOs in development that will be built on CryEngine 2 or UE3. So that is where you should look and find what suit your budget best.

Skyrim isn't a good game to set your graphics standards upon...

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

Originally posted by DexterMMO

Low Budget - GTX 560ti (250$)

Medium Budget - new mobo/i5 2500k/ddr3 ram (400$)

Large Budget - Mobo/ i7 2600k/ 8-16gb ddr 3/ GTX 560 ti ( 600$)

Thanks a lot - very helpful :-)

Originally posted by Gdemami

There are some new MMOs in development that will be built on CryEngine 2 or UE3. So that is where you should look and find what suit your budget best.

Skyrim isn't a good game to set your graphics standards upon...

Only problem is that I have no idea what you mean..

I would like to use what I have as an update for something better... wondering what I could still use and what I should update to play the newest games like Shogun Total War, newest MMOs... AND Skyrim

edit: though admittedly I may just be able to use the case :-o

• WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235

Im using an e 5300, oc'd to 3.6 ghz, and am playing Skyrim at high settings. But I am using a 5750 video card 1gig. That and my CPU clock are the only advantage I may have on your set up. I think, (think), your motherbaord is a little better than mine.

However you may not want to OC your processor, it's FSB is already at 1333 mhz, but it has a bigger cache than mine, and probably does just as much work at 3.0 (guessing).

In a bit there will be some more indepth advice (and better advice). For now I will suggest looking at your power supply, Brand, Model, and Wattage. A good power supply is very important to me.

If it is sufficient, probably a video card upgrade, is all you should look at. Try that, say a 560ti, or a 6850,( personally I'd go 6850 as I am poor), and see how you like the performance.

Im afraid you will find upgrading the CPU and Motherboard, to be your best option, if a video card upgrade alone, does not give you the performance you are looking for.

In my case, I am keeping my eyes open for an 800 mhz FSB core duo quad. The CPU's for our motherboards have nearly all been discontinued. Some remain, but really dont yield a significant performance up grade for us.

I am also looking for a bargain on an SSD. But essentially these parts I am scrounging, or wanting to purchase, will eventually be carried over to an 1155 socket motherboard and I5 CPU, unless of course I scrounge up an AMD phenom quad and board. I take old machine people throw out, and scrounge parts from them.

In addition to Skyrim I play BF3. I can play it at high settings, but prefer to run it at low settings, to minimalize lag.

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

just changing your gpu to the max your mobo support would go a long way!the rest isnt bad just you gpu need a better since you are already dx11 (vista)but i dont know what is the pcie of your mobo ,if its a pcie1 might need to refresh the whole computer if it is a pcie2 then just upgrade the gpu(graphic card)just make sure the gpu you buy is minimum a 256 bit card even if it isnt the highest,if it is possible taker a 1 gb or more gpu.pcie3 gpu should be compantible with slower version of pcie but i am not sure here check on nvidia . com

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The best processor your motherboard can have is Core 2 Quad Q9650. If you can find one it would be the best you can do with that motherboard and is a good upgrade, but the CPU is kinda hard to find and sometimes still cost far too much.

The first upgrade you have to make is the gfx card. Since you like Nvidia I reccommend 560 GTX or even better 570 GTX. Just that will improve things a lot for you, it is by far the best upgrade you can make for the money.

Unless you can find a cheap Q9650 as well I would start with just the GFX card, if it ain´t enough for you it is easy to make more upgrades later.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Draccan

Only problem is that I have no idea what you mean..
    I would like to use what I have as an update for something better... wondering what I could still use and what I should update to play the newest games like Shogun Total War, newest MMOs... AND Skyrim
    edit: though admittedly I may just be able to use the case :-o

Ah, I am noting that Skyrim has not up-to-date graphics. It might be a new game but technology used for Skyrim is old and does not take advantage of modern graphics cards.

this is a pcie2 mobo so it can use a new gen gpu!but buy the highest gpu you would plan to put on your system anyway,since this is a triple sli gpu card there is shelf life left in that system ,cpu would be important if you stream ,encoding,while playing the game and record everything while using g+hangout with your friend!

if its just for gaming and text chat that system should do the job but you WILL need a good gpu

like i say pcie3 should be backward compatible,if you do plan to make use of that triple sli buy single card (like not a single slot double card)buy a single slot single card for each slot but 1 highest single slot single card gpu should be enough ,(make sure if you nuy a pcie3 gpu that it will work on a pcie2 slot (not sure if they re out yet thot!)

one tip for free disable chimney in tcp speedguide window 7 can help (dont follow their recomandation)

chimney and direct memory access dont like each other so use either direct memory access or chimney not both!

aside from this ,you should be able to enjoy pretty much  al lot of game!the gpu does most of the work these days!

a processor like the quad the dude recommend wont be very expensive and will go a long way .

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I just briefly looked at your post, but if you are on a shoe string budget and want a decent rig switch over to a AMD processor...something like this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overclocking,3077-2.html

1.  Motherboard $40 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138293

2.  Processor $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103911

3. Memory $42 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

4. Video Card $150 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130749

5. Cool Lan Party Case (optional)  $70 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146065

Without the case you are looking at a decent rig with pieces from your existing computer for just over $300. Unless you want to spend the extra $100 on a gtx 570 the 460 is still one of the best video cards for the money. It handles Skyrim with all settings on the highest resolution and runs spectacular. 

I hope this helps I'm not an AMD fanboy (I own 2 i5's) but i built this rig for running over to my son's house to play games with. It's actually just as easy to setup as breaking out my laptop from it's case and setting it up. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I played Skyrim, Total War and Rift using a GeForce 9800 GT, Vista 32, 3 GB RAM, old Quadcore, if it helps. ;)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Amjoco

I just briefly looked at your post, but if you are on a shoe string budget and want a decent rig switch over to a AMD processor...something like this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overclocking,3077-2.html

1.  Motherboard $40 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138293

2.  Processor $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103911

3. Memory $42 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

4. Video Card $150 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130749

5. Cool Lan Party Case (optional)  $70 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146065

Without the case you are looking at a decent rig with pieces from your existing computer for just over $300. Unless you want to spend the extra $100 on a gtx 570 the 460 is still one of the best video cards for the money. It handles Skyrim with all settings on the highest resolution and runs spectacular. 

I hope this helps I'm not an AMD fanboy (I own 2 i5's) but i built this rig for running over to my son's house to play games with. It's actually just as easy to setup as breaking out my laptop from it's case and setting it up. 

Not a bad build but since OP want minimum costs I would still just try the GFX card first and if that ain't enough get all the rest.

Gaming is 80% the GFX card anyways, I think the rest probably can last another year or at least until he saved up some money.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I totally agree, a video card makes a huge difference in gaming. Like I said I'm not a processor fanboy, I will go either AMD or intel but I am a huge believer in Nvidia graphics cards. I have tried others and for the money they seem to run and out perform the others. No matter what, I always love helping a brother nerd out with a rig build. :D

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

only game i know you need a good proc is everquest 2 so stay clear and on average you shouldnt have issue with a new gpu

if you find the quad core cpu the dude said in early post buy it you ll be good for years

it was for your system max this:

Core 2 Quad Q9650 

Thanks a lot guys, I think I will follow the advice and try with a new GPU for now.. maybe the 560 or 570.

I wonder if they will consume more power... and if my PSU is enough..

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

It depends some on what you're trying for.  That should still be a decently capable computer.  If you need a faster processor, then you're probably better off going the replacement route than the upgrade route.

If you're meaningfully limited by power delivery or cooling, then you may wish to go with AMD rather than Nvidia, as they offer better performance per watt, meaning, they can get you more performance for the same amount of power and heat.  AMD also offers cards that are a good value for the money all up and down their line, while Nvidia has only the GeForce GTX 560 Ti (the Ti matters!), the GeForce GTX 570, and a bunch of overpriced stuff.  And lately, the GTX 570 seems to be veering into the "overpriced stuff" category, too.

I think your case should be fine, though.  The power supply may be another matter, as Jonny Guru found that ripple went way out of spec at full load.  You shouldn't come anywhere near 850 W, but still.  Power supplies have come a long way in the last five years, too.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=24

The power supply will probably be fine, and 850 W is far more than you need.  I guess it's a question of your reliability standards.

me i baught a 5770 and i needed 650 watt psu those gpu probably need 750 or 800 not sure!

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by drbaltazar
    me i baught a 5770 and i needed 650 watt psu those gpu probably need 750 or 800 not sure!

A 650W power supply could run 4 5770's and still not break a sweat. The 5770 is a very low power card.