Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Future of the Old Republic

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Originally posted by dagon3

Paid $60.00 for a game that entertained me for 2 hours before i couldnt stand it anymore.

Cancelled sub before even getting to lvl five.

Completely un amusing.

My honest opinion.

For those who enjoy gratz.

Ooo you are a winner. SWTOR was your first MMO or you are just a troller. You get the entire build of an MMO by level 5. LOL Have a good day!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Originally posted by Illyssia

Originally posted by Kamofila

Seeing hi Rez screenshots makes me sad :(

My understanding is that the game can play in high resolution textures, but it is internal still with Bioware. Probably because if released into the wild there would be a huge number of technical and performance problems. However, I think at some point it will become an option.

Yup the high rez textures are coming in a path soon. BW said they are coming.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I'm having a freaking blast. The majority of the replies here are filled with blatant inaccuries from people that haven't even played the game. I would even wager to say that most people that write ridiciously little one sentence statements like "unsubbed already" never played the game in the first place.

I play on a PVP and an RP server. Both are busy as can be. People are into every aspect of the game and there is constant chatter about crafting, running flashpoints and doing pvp.

• opposedcrowopposedcrow Member Posts: 55

I bought the game last Saturday and I'm currently having a lot of fun with my free 30 days. All of the classes look fun to play, the environments are well-designed and look good even on low graphical settings, and the combat, despite being the standard MMO formula of button/hotkey pressing, feels engaging and tense thanks to the unique combat styles of each class and the cool looking melee animations.

That being said I'm not sure I'll be resubbing once my 30 days are up. I decided to take the plunge with the annual pass for WoW (mainly because I'm really excited for MoP and I get a free copy of Diablo 3) and even though ToR is a really solid and fun game, I don't think I could afford paying $30 a month for a whole year.

This is by no means the end of my ToR journey however. I'm sure in a year or so once the game has several updates and maybe even an expansion or two under its belt (and I'm finished with the annual pass) I'll be heading back into a galaxy far far away. 

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

My understanding is that the game can play in high resolution textures, but it is internal still with Bioware. Probably because if released into the wild there would be a huge number of technical and performance problems. However, I think at some point it will become an option.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=164481

Actually, Bioware said it WON'T be soon.  They only used high-def textures for cinematics because doing so for normal gameplay proved hard on even higher end computers, supposedly, and are planning on reworking some things, but in their own words "It won't happen over night.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• hellshankshellshanks Member Posts: 144

The sith already lost. and rose again. They will lose again, in 3,500 years, during the Skywalker Legacy..... 3,500 years. Since We know in Lord of the Rings all of the elves and dwarves leave, anyone who rolls an elf is technically also joining a losing side, in LOTRO. 

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by eric_w66

Originally posted by Bunks

So it's back to WoW and the pandas, got it ;)

I know its hard to beleive this, but most people don't play SWTOR and WOW. There are "other" games in the universe. We had 30 people commited to play SWTOR before beta began. That number dwindled to 19 by launch time because it was so WOW like. Those who stayed on to play it were people who liked WOW and Rift. But the majority or at least half of the 30 who started as SWTOR fans went back to playing non MMO's. Hard to believe I know.

So its now non-MMORPG players aren't happy playing an MMORPG and left? Color me not shocked.

Ikr - I think all of the Hi-Res graphics ppl need to go back to Skyrim . [Mod Edit]

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by opposedcrow

I bought the game last Saturday and I'm currently having a lot of fun with my free 30 days. All of the classes look fun to play, the environments are well-designed and look good even on low graphical settings, and the combat, despite being the standard MMO formula of button/hotkey pressing, feels engaging and tense thanks to the unique combat styles of each class and the cool looking melee animations.

That being said I'm not sure I'll be resubbing once my 30 days are up. I decided to take the plunge with the annual pass for WoW (mainly because I'm really excited for MoP and I get a free copy of Diablo 3) and even though ToR is a really solid and fun game, I don't think I could afford paying $30 a month for a whole year.

This is by no means the end of my ToR journey however. I'm sure in a year or so once the game has several updates and maybe even an expansion or two under its belt (and I'm finished with the annual pass) I'll be heading back into a galaxy far far away. 

Yeah...you have fun with those Pandas there little camper.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

When I look at all the trollings and hatings and whinings and quitings and unsubbings etc...I get a mental picture of a group of nerdie pimply faced kiddies gathered around eagerly talking about sex - something they actually know nothing about.

Armchair designers can join the armchair quarterbacks and armchair generals and armchair presidents and armchair Nascar drivers and armchair basketball experts and on and on and on...

Jeeze, take a chill pill. Don't like it - don't play. Don't like the industry/company/game/mechanics etc...good enough. State why and even say you are leaving but trying desperately with post after post to keep others from buying/playing (for their own good of course) - it ain't exactly like warning of an incoming tornado - lighten up. I am just taking a break from playing, thought I would cruise thru this site I like (MMORPG) and find this!

So quit and unsub/don't sub, thats ok. But this looks like Forum PVP, not substantive discussions. Gimme a break!!!

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Seems the UI will still suck for some time.

Character customization will stay as lame as it is.

We'll keep looking like either twins or clowns.

And it's not tomorrow that we'll have open world, or large scale PvP.

Yawn.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by SpikeX

This game is the biggest pile of trash ever!  The servers will dwindle down to 3 in 6 months.  Then the layoffs will come and half of bioware will be sold off.  After that we'll see bioware employees in the soup kitchen line!  And bioware/EA employees also eat baby dingos for dinner. 

(PS...Whoever said they were quiting due to server lag must be on some serious drugs.  I haven't had even the tiniest ounce of server lag and I play about 4-8hours a day.  Buy a better PC)

They actually said UI response lag, which does exist and is supposedly getting fixed in the patch.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

although i never had any intention of playing the game and was having a grand time playing Skyrim i was talked into it by a friend

strangely, Skyrim is on hold and my free time is spent in SWTOR

although i am continuously disappointed by the graphics (or lack there of) in the game i am enjoying myself

that said graphics will play a major role in any decision on paying a continuing sub - right now they don't warrant a tick in the plus column

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

Originally posted by Coolit

Already moved on, I was very disappointed by this game overall and now feel a sucker for buying the CE :(

Yes you were.....but you might be able to sell it again to other suckers for more money!

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Actually, Bioware said it WON'T be soon.  They only used high-def textures for cinematics because doing so for normal gameplay proved hard on even higher end computers, supposedly, and are planning on reworking some things, but in their own words "It won't happen over night.

It's true sadly, there is an app that one can download that forces the graphics to work properly and works around their shutting off of the high res textures however unless you seriously know what you are doing i would suggest against it. 

• Jonnas13Jonnas13 Member UncommonPosts: 93

Originally posted by Bunks

Good to hear new content coming. I'm not cancelling, nor are the 2 coworkers who play, and my 5 friends who play. All of us are enjoying the heck out of SWTOR. I don't feel like a sucker because I bought the CE. In fact, even the "Extended" circle of people I know in game (new guildmates, friends of my friends, etc), no one is cancelling...

thats great, but its easy to counter that by saying, that almost the entire SWTOR group on my ventrillo server cancelled last night. 15 out of 19. 2 weren't online and the other 2 had 3 month subs.

They never cancelled, they just said that to get away from you Mr Brightside.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    I think Eve Online has got more potential than SWTOR because player made content is more interesting. Unfortunately, there is no incentive to join a guild in SWTOR because you don't have your own home to defend / fight over.
  • FionnFionn Member Posts: 68
    Love the scrub commentary from the noobs. Oh I'm leaving....yawn.. Right.. My guild is awaiting 1.1 patch Tuesday for unlocked 4 new bosses, Anti-aliasing added, pvp updates, and the end content addons. I feel happy for the noobies leaving to go back to their kid game PandaWoW.
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

my guild and I love this game,  we'll be playing it for a long time. Can't wait for 1.1!

• jrworden1976jrworden1976 Member UncommonPosts: 26

All of you who are QQ about what the game dosen't have need to chill. Its new and its going to take awhile for it to get going.... even WoW was slow in the begining. I just love this sence of  entitlement you people feel the game companys owe you.... Get over yourselves.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

FTP is the future i sense....

• skerge20skerge20 Member Posts: 3

I ended up leaving the game after I got to 50.. I took the time to Max out my companions affection and max out my crew skillz. The just got bored pvp was repetitive.  Imo my server is so unbalance to many people wanted to be Sith . Got tired of every time we would go pvp 90% of the time hut ball LOL. Never really seen any Jedi maybe out of 10 arenas we might get lucky and fight 1 group of jedi. The even questing up to 50 I seen 1 jedi out in the world. Maybe I will come back later but to many other games are coming out only time will tell

• HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

is that pic trying to rip of the forsakon in WoW?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

I don't get all the whining about the textures. Seriously. The game looks fine. Good even. The only thing that doesn't look good are the shadows. Even there, the shadows look better than in other mmorpg.

I would be willing to bet that the day the hi-rez graphics are implemented, people complaining about hi-rez graphics will immediately shift to complaining about something else.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by Fionn

Love the scrub commentary from the noobs. Oh I'm leaving....yawn.. Right.. My guild is awaiting 1.1 patch Tuesday for unlocked 4 new bosses, Anti-aliasing added, pvp updates, and the end content addons. I feel happy for the noobies leaving to go back to their kid game PandaWoW.

Hahaha, yup, I'm in agreement with you. I'm in a guild of a little over 350 members right now, we are all still there and growing every day. We are looking forward to 1.1 as well. The community in this game keeps getting better and better the more these people leave. Amazing isn't it.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• DidelphusDidelphus Member UncommonPosts: 12

I'm used to typos, misspellings, and poor writing in general on this site. I try to ignore it since I know it may be generational or maybe a lack of ease in the transition from leet speak. Like the horrible writing in most MMOs, the underlying message is the important thing. However, what does this mean, "They build their metrics tools so that fans trust Bioware to have a great experience in the game"? In fact, I have a difficult time following most of the fifth paragraph. The fact that they have automated surveys is supposed to instill trust? And why do I want Bioware to have a great experience in the game?

I'm a long time fan of the site. I appreciate the service you provide. I just wish the stories didn't always read like poor translations from Korean. If you want a copy editor, please let me know. I have plenty of time on my hands.