Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skill systems in mmorpg's

ZoeFkenZoeFken Member UncommonPosts: 33

I was wondering what the most inovating skill system where that you encouterd in any mmorpg.

These are the best two skills system i encounterd thus far:

Eve online ( yeah duh ) : Train 30 days for one skill how innovating is that ?

Anarchy Online : 69 diffrent skills - perk lines - le lines and so on and forth. A realy in depth game with the best twinking i ever encounterd.

I also like to know what other people think of these skills system in like 98% of all mmorpg's. With these boring skill trees and special abbilities, is it me or is it getting bored to enter a new game and see the same old system of skills over and over. I don't know why but i tend to delete these games as soon as i instald them. Sometimes they bring in multiple trees or multiple setups but in the end it seems all the same to me. I wonder why there can't seem to be innovating ways of skils anymore.

My 2 cents

Comments

• BCuseBCuse Member Posts: 140

star wars galaxies pre-nge. hasnt been anything even close to it since.

• zhombiezhombie Member UncommonPosts: 160

Originally posted by BCuse

This. Best skill system I've ever come across in a released game.

An unfortunate game that died in beta was Wish that had an interested skill-based system. DFO has something similar, but the huge (and playable) difference was that in Wish there wasn't a chance of bland amorphous character builds. You could train up a lot of skills, but no one could be everything.

___________~____________
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684

Id have to give it to Asheron's call. Specializesd, trained, and untrained skills. Specialized you had the most points in and moved the fastest. Trained was moderate, untrained was the slowest.

There was probably close to 30 skills in the game.

As you performed those actions, your skills would increase, like Elder Scrolls. However, when you leveled up, you could put points into any skill you wanted, including baseline stats.

That skill system was *awesome*. The level of customization you could do was pretty minute. Every single character was different.

AC's character customization was and still is lightyears ahead of anything, anything that has come out including SWG. Granted, SWG pre nge was pretty awesome but doesnt hold a candle to AC.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012
    Ultima Online

Basically you decided how your character will pan out it was so great and without levels. Heck a made a char just for crafting and getting money in order to pay for all the reagents my mage needed.

Next in line would be SWG pre NGE never played it but saw it in action great game.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

Originally posted by ZoeFken

I was wondering what the most inovating skill system where that you encouterd in any mmorpg.

These are the best two skills system i encounterd thus far:

Eve online ( yeah duh ) : Train 30 days for one skill how innovating is that ?

Anarchy Online : 69 diffrent skills - perk lines - le lines and so on and forth. A realy in depth game with the best twinking i ever encounterd.

I also like to know what other people think of these skills system in like 98% of all mmorpg's. With these boring skill trees and special abbilities, is it me or is it getting bored to enter a new game and see the same old system of skills over and over. I don't know why but i tend to delete these games as soon as i instald them. Sometimes they bring in multiple trees or multiple setups but in the end it seems all the same to me. I wonder why there can't seem to be innovating ways of skils anymore.

My 2 cents

Eve has a skill system I really liked. I've never seen anything like it before.

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Originally posted by Ghost12

Id have to give it to Asheron's call. Specializesd, trained, and untrained skills. Specialized you had the most points in and moved the fastest. Trained was moderate, untrained was the slowest.

There was probably close to 30 skills in the game.

As you performed those actions, your skills would increase, like Elder Scrolls. However, when you leveled up, you could put points into any skill you wanted, including baseline stats.

That skill system was *awesome*. The level of customization you could do was pretty minute. Every single character was different.

AC's character customization was and still is lightyears ahead of anything, anything that has come out including SWG. Granted, SWG pre nge was pretty awesome but doesnt hold a candle to AC.

This pretty much sums it up. game made in 1999 light years ahead of all the games after it. hard to imagine but its true.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

I like the Puzzle Pirates system:  no grinding, but everything depends on the skill of the player.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

As said, Asheron's Call was light years ahead of the competition.  It's a pity they lost the battle with Sony's Everquest as the mainstay of modern MMORPGs.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

EVE Online's passive skill gain and Puzzle Pirates' player skill based peogression are the two that I found most innovative. They both introduced approaches that offered something new, making changes to the established class/level system.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Asheron's Call was the best.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , the problem about the skill system in that 98% of the rest you mention is a flock fest.  What I mean by flock fest is whatever skills are popular , people will go that direction , if you party and you don't have that skill then your considered a noob and kicked out of party.  It's at a point where the skill trees just need 5 skills per class instead of acting all fancy and creating 70 skills per class where only 8 will be trained and used.

As of EVE-Online the beauty of such a game is that even within your first month , with the right people to train with and help you , can start having fun PvP wise. EVE-Online is all about willing taking the risk to have fun , if your willing then the doors are wide open , if your a pansy , then EVE-Online ain't for you.  :P

• BjordionBjordion Member Posts: 10

I really feel left out having never played AC.  I only dabbled for a few hours in Eve Online back during its beta and haven't touched it since, but now I am practically compelled to try it again just from these comments.

I has a crayon

Originally posted by SuprGamerX

Heh , the problem about the skill system in that 98% of the rest you mention is a flock fest.  What I mean by flock fest is whatever skills are popular , people will go that direction , if you party and you don't have that skill then your considered a noob and kicked out of party.

Relaying talking points without researching is bad.  Can you list the MMOs that support your argument? 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I prefer the skillsystems where skills raise while using them. Like in Skyrim, but preferably without lvls. I dont like EvE's way of progress where passive training raises your skill.

I also agree to some extent with SuprGamerX that players often create their own set of 'classes' by demanding certain skills in a build. But this is not just caused by players. Most skillsystems Ive experienced so far, are far from balanced. Anarchy Online is a good example in this. Some skills are just completely useless for certain classes. Fallen Earth has the same problem. If you go hybrid there (2 combat types), you will realise that you messed up your build on the moment that you learn that there is an AP cap.

Also the lack of ingame explanation of skills and lack of statistics causes that a lot of skillsystems are easy to mess up and players then tend to flock towards proved builds. This is not because they wouldnt want to experiment, this is because a failed build cant be corrected without rerolling or takes a huge effort to respec. Which is not really a great incentive to experiment with your build.

So in my eyes its not the skillsystem that fails in MMO's, but the implementation. Lack of documentation/explanation from the devs and being too harsh with how to correct your gimped build. It is after all the fault of the developer if certain skills are simply underpowered compared to others.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Originally posted by Bjordion

I really feel left out having never played AC.  I only dabbled for a few hours in Eve Online back during its beta and haven't touched it since, but now I am practically compelled to try it again just from these comments.

thats to bad, i wish everybody could of experienced Asherons Call. It wasnt just the skill system that made the game so much better than the rest. even the crafting system was great.

Imagine everytime you kill somthing you could get a item that is better than what you are using at the time ( even at max level ). it had a totally random loot system, no 2 items were the same.  plus ontop of that you take the random junk loot that you got and break it down into bags of materials that you use to enhance the weapons/armor you want to keep by using crafting skills.

plus you could use cooking and alchemy skills for makeing elemental arrows or dyeing armor. i mean the list goes on and on how advanced that game is compared to todays games.

Originally posted by DrunkWolf

Originally posted by Bjordion

thats to bad, i wish everybody could of experienced Asherons Call. It wasnt just the skill system that made the game so much better than the rest. even the crafting system was great.

Imagine everytime you kill somthing you could get a item that is better than what you are using at the time ( even at max level ). it had a totally random loot system, no 2 items were the same.  plus ontop of that you take the random junk loot that you got and break it down into bags of materials that you use to enhance the weapons/armor you want to keep by using crafting skills.

plus you could use cooking and alchemy skills for makeing elemental arrows or dyeing armor. i mean the list goes on and on how advanced that game is compared to todays games.

Almost everything you found could be used in some way. UO and EVE are like that, too. Somewhere along the way the 'junk loot' system of EQ became the standard.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I thought what little I saw in Perpetuum was even better than Eve. Instead of pure time = skill advancement you could also be rewarded by completing missions or for kills too (maybe other things?). You generated xp over time while playing or offline and could spend points to level up many different skills. It has been a long time since I tried it so correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know what you would call innovative but I still think Neocron had a unique system for it's time and maybe still does. There were 4 different classes you choose from that could be very effective in one of the 2 - 6 combat roles(could be a gimped hybrid if you really want) and you could put points into any 6 craft/support skills depending on your class. Fighting mobs would lvl up your attributes corresponding to the weapon you are using (heavy weapon- strength, rifle- dexsterity) and grant skill points in those to spend on improving your skills. Both a higher lvl weapon and a lot of points into a skill like Rifle Weapons would help you do more damage.