Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think developers ever read mmorpg.com ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I see some good and bad ideas here. Sure it's all about OPINION but much can be learned. So many good topics, yet developers are going on with their daily routine making crap and thinking the population loves it. Or following Blizzards mistakes, sure this is an OPINION also.

I come into mmorpg.com most everyday. I really get the feeling of what the population here would really like. Sure I make un-popular post but that does not change the fact that I see what many would like.

Examples :

MMO's are getting too easy

MMO's are on rails

Many don't like Dungeon finders

Many would like split servers ( hard mode, easy mode, no dungeon finders, and many more )

Understand that game forums are closed off to only the ACTIVE player base. If five thousand players don't like a game and quit. And two hundred stay and love a game, then the developers will only see the 200 hundred.

We REALLY don't have anyone to complain too. Before you say what I think your about to say, I have to say NO WE DON'T. It would so nice to see mmorpg.com make their own opinion polls, and submit them to game developers instead of us flapping our wings in the air with nothing done !!!!....Because that's all were really doing.

Comments

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

opinions, this one is yours leave rest of us out of it..

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by page7

Understand that game forums are closed off to only the ACTIVE player base. If five thousand players don't like a game and quit. And two hundred stay and love a game, then the developers will only see the 200 hundred.

Assuming there's no such thing as an exit poll?  Assuming the devs are incapable of tracking player movement and drawing conclusions from where those players go?

We REALLY don't have anyone to complain too. Before you say what I think your about to say, I have to say NO WE DON'T. It would so nice to see mmorpg.com make their own opinion polls, and submit them to game developers instead of us flapping our wings in the air with nothing done !!!!....Because that's all were really doing.

Nope, they get heard.  Unfortunately, the most common result asked for (here) is for the company to voluntarily make less money.  Sensibly, from the company's point of view, those requests are often ignored.  (Go figure.)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by page
    Or following Blizzards mistakes, sure this is an OPINION also.
    Given that those "mistakes" have led them to a billion dollars revenue per year, it's hardly surprising that most developers don't consider them to be "mistakes".
  • RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Of course they read mmorpg.com..! Or at least, I know one that does. image

The bigger studios are probably less likely to come to these kinda sites though.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by Banquetto

Or following Blizzards mistakes, sure this is an OPINION also.

Given that those "mistakes" have led them to a billion dollars revenue per year, it's hardly surprising that most developers don't consider them to be "mistakes".

Yeah when I design games I hate when I make a "mistake" which causes hundreds of thousands of players to enjoy the gameplay I've created and pay money for it.

"Oops!  Damn, players had fun.  Guess I'll have to try harder next time."

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Or following Blizzards mistakes...

I wish I was fortunate enough to make 'mistakes' like that.  Then I could earn hundreds of millions of dollars a year too.

• ReaverKS2ReaverKS2 Member Posts: 3

To ignore their customer base would be a bad idea, it wouldn't surprise me if they read here as well as a few other places for ideas and fixes. 

If you play MMORPG's you gotta check <a href="http://www.gametasks.com">This</a>; out!

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Be the change you seek in the world.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Plain and simpely this place is a laughing stock of MMO bickering.  Hell just look at WoW, Rift, GW2, SWTOR threads.  This site is infested with fanboism beyond belief that just ends up being a trash talk contest.  There are a whole better sites that actually talk about indepth game ideals and whatnot.  GWguru, ElitestJerks, Tankspot to name a few.  Those sites not mmorpg.com are the sites developers should visit.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

For the most part I don't believe MMORPG represents the average MMO players.  MMORPG.com forum users are generally hardcore MMO fanatics.  

Most MMO players don't even post in there official games forum and even a smaller percentage post on these forums.  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• BCuseBCuse Member Posts: 140

i wonder if the devs do read mmorpg.com myself.   if they dont they should.  i would think it would help to see what your target customers think about things.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I have serious doubts that most of them even read their own forums. Sure they have community managers that do but most of the actual devs do not. Why would they want to come here if they don't even read their own forums?

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

God, I hope not.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

As far as the title goes.. Yes. A lot of the smaller companies use their games sub forums for free advertisement.

That's not to say there has not been Dev's from bigger companies pop their heads up from time to time either.  I can think of a few that came out in the open from well known titles.

One example: Jeff Freeman was posting on here and having discussions with people a few years back. Needless to say he was really getting hammered but he popped his head out in the open for a month or two.

Anarchy Online: Means definitely posted here.  I am also pretty sure while Silirrion was still the cm for AO he visited these forums from time to time and made a post or two.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by JayBirdz
    As far as the title goes.. Yes. A lot of the smaller companies use their games sub forums for free advertisement.
    Or, in the case of Derek Smart and Alganon, to get into flamewars and scare off potential players.
  • worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403

I read MMORPG.com and I'm developing an MMO.  Does that count? :)

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I see some good and bad ideas here. Sure it's all about OPINION but much can be learned. So many good topics, yet developers are going on with their daily routine making crap and thinking the population loves it. Or following Blizzards mistakes, sure this is an OPINION also.

I come into mmorpg.com most everyday. I really get the feeling of what the population here would really like. Sure I make un-popular post but that does not change the fact that I see what many would like.

Examples :

MMO's are getting too easy

MMO's are on rails

Many don't like Dungeon finders

Many would like split servers ( hard mode, easy mode, no dungeon finders, and many more )

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_221/6582-Why-Your-Game-Idea-Sucks

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/355/entry-2250155-why-you-shouldnt-be-making-an-mmo/

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629

"Do you think developers read internet forums?"

Of course some do if they're looking for information that help them find ideas. Internet forums are questionable to some because they are very non-hand-holding but if I was doing a job I'm not going to care or get involved in posting in forums. I will however find the time to take a good glance on what people are talking about to get a picture.

MMORPG.com does have high quality stuff pop up every once in a while still. Just not as often as other more popular forums might.

Most of the time it's almost unrecognizable from YouTube comments to me. In those times I don't know what else to do but to just join in and enjoy the community interaction here. Here's my attempt at a HQ thread that got started today. Thread died fast from lack of interest but hey I tried.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

I imgagine individual employees, as fans of the genre read these forums beyond that, at any official level if there is any interaction its probably in the form of a contract to a marketing company who ends up telling the publishers what they want to hear.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

I can tell you for a fact that many developers read our forums, both from the smaller and larger outlets. Some even jump into the discussions! :)