Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pandas as "monks"?

DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

I am just curious where this idea came from?

Did this idea originate with Kung Fu Panda, that pandas are some how good at martial arts and being a monk?

I have 3 examples, that I just don't understand why these games insist on making pandas monks/karate fighters?

World of Warcraft -- I suppose people claim that the pandas have always been karate fighters in WoW lore, but where and why did this come about?  Why pandas = karate?  Is it because they generally are in asian countries?

Wakfu/Dofus -  Again, pandas are monks/karate people.  Why?  This is a game made by Square Enix/French developers, why pandas = karate? and why pandas?!  Why not...bears?...or crocodiles? Why pandas?

Eligium -  No idea who makes this game, or anything, I just found out about it today, but low and behold, they have pandas who do what? engage in karate/monk activities...why?!

------

Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate pandas who fight with kung fu, I am just curious where and why this came about?  But why?  Why do all these games keep insisting Pandas are kung fu masters?  Why pandas and why kung fu?  Why not a Panda who coughs up furballs and sets them on fire?

Why not a crocodile who knows kung fu?  Why not any other type of animal, why pandas, why elves, why humans?  Why no innovation/something new?

Ok..i am ranting a little now...but where did these kung fu pandas come from?!

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

Comments

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

It was a joke. Kids and immature adults took it serious. Now they got what they wanted.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• madnessman13madnessman13 Member UncommonPosts: 91

well yes it does have to deal with kids but, pandas have been a part of warcraft lore for a while just not utilized u know kinda like murlocs. WoW need something new to keep em going for awhile. They probly took a little bit of the idea from kung fu panda the movie. As to why pandas in the very first place there may be no rational answer to that. My guys is that someone thought it would be cool to have kung fu pandas and it stuck

madnessman

Originally posted by madnessman13

well yes it does have to deal with kids but, pandas have been a part of warcraft lore for a while just not utilized u know kinda like murlocs. WoW need something new to keep em going for awhile. They probly took a little bit of the idea from kung fu panda the movie. As to why pandas in the very first place there may be no rational answer to that. My guys is that someone thought it would be cool to have kung fu pandas and it stuck

True.

But it still started out as a joke.

Let me elaborate. I forgot who created the joke but the obvious idea was to pick the silliest thing he/she/they could think of to make a joke race for SC. It was meant to be funny and freak out people that saw it. Kinda like a few years ago when this site did a April Fools Joke about changing what this site was about. It was meant to suprise and maybe piss some people off. But the kids/young adults didn't get it and was happy to see it.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The panda is the symbol of Chinese people, it is comming from that.

If you want a Californian animal we would have gotten a Raccon instead, probably with "gangmember" as class...

That they are monks is still somewhat odd, shaolin monks do have animal styles but I don't remember hearing of a panda style anywhere (seen the movie when Jet Li dresses up like a giant chicken?). 

• madnessman13madnessman13 Member UncommonPosts: 91

Originally posted by bartoni33

Originally posted by madnessman13

True.

But it still started out as a joke.

Let me elaborate. I forgot who created the joke but the obvious idea was to pick the silliest thing he/she/they could think of to make a joke race for SC. It was meant to be funny and freak out people that saw it. Kinda like a few years ago when this site did a April Fools Joke about changing what this site was about. It was meant to suprise and maybe piss some people off. But the kids/young adults didn't get it and was happy to see it.

yeah i see what you mean and from the joke it just kind of took off as a good idea, and is now going to be used as a playable race in wow, i guess you never know.

madnessman

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211
    If you seen Napoleon Dynamite movie and the dance he did lol check the /dance of blood elf I think it is the same exact dance. WoW takes things from movies even most of the achivements have titles from movies or look alike.

Originally posted by Loke666

Sorry but I don't think that is true.

That would be the same thing as a Chinese MMO making an Eagle race to intice Americans to play it. It would not work.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Pandas and fighting monks are stereotypically asian. Combining them, you get a monk panda. It's not much of a leap.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

That would be the same thing as a Chinese MMO making an Eagle race to intice Americans to play it. It would not work.

It's not the same. The eagle is the symbol of America, but it has almost nothing to do with the culture. Meanwhile you'll see pandas all over the place in Asian culture; food packaging, brand names, fursuits, manga, anime, etc., etc., etc.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

It's not the same. The eagle is the symbol of America, but it has almost nothing to do with the culture. Meanwhile you'll see pandas all over the place in Asian culture; food packaging, brand names, fursuits, manga, anime, etc., etc., etc.

Ahh I see. You are correct. I have never seen an eagle used in food packaging, brand names, fursuits, cartoons, comics ect.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Pandas are just cuter than normal bears and of course cuter than crocodiles.

Nothing wrong with kung fu crocodiles tho, didnt Everquest do that?

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Dragim

Did this idea originate with Kung Fu Panda, that pandas are some how good at martial arts and being a monk?

I have 3 examples, that I just don't understand why these games insist on making pandas monks/karate fighters?

World of Warcraft -- I suppose people claim that the pandas have always been karate fighters in WoW lore, but where and why did this come about?  Why pandas = karate?  Is it because they generally are in asian countries?

Wakfu/Dofus -  Again, pandas are monks/karate people.  Why?  This is a game made by Square Enix/French developers, why pandas = karate? and why pandas?!  Why not...bears?...or crocodiles? Why pandas?

Eligium -  No idea who makes this game, or anything, I just found out about it today, but low and behold, they have pandas who do what? engage in karate/monk activities...why?!

------

Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate pandas who fight with kung fu, I am just curious where and why this came about?  But why?  Why do all these games keep insisting Pandas are kung fu masters?  Why pandas and why kung fu?  Why not a Panda who coughs up furballs and sets them on fire?

Why not a crocodile who knows kung fu?  Why not any other type of animal, why pandas, why elves, why humans?  Why no innovation/something new?

For real?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Slampig

------

For real?

Heh you caught that too?

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Originally posted by Slampig

------

For real?

Heh you caught that too?

Ah yeah, pandas are bears.  I suppose maybe I meant a bear other than a panda? I mean..possibly?  You know, like brown bears, black bears, koala?

Oh well, i suppose you guys get +1 posts for catching that, way to be!

• SepulcherSepulcher Member Posts: 216

The earliest example of karate and pandas I can remember is Ranma ½.  That was back in the 80's.  Pandas are also an iconic species in china and kung fu is an iconic fighting style from china.  it only makes sense that in a game full of cow people and dog people you would make panda people to represent a more asian culture.

{mod edit}

• truthhurtstruthhurts Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Pandas and fighting monks are stereotypically asian. Combining them, you get a monk panda. It's not much of a leap.

This

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

I agree they aren't exactly a "symbol" of Chinese people, but because pandas are indigenous to China, people all over the world think of China when they see a panda. Same as Bald Eagles and the US; Chihuahuas and Mexico; Kangaroos and Australia; and so on.

Kung Fu is indigenous to China also. As was mentioned before, its not that far of a leap.

• babyeaterbabyeater Member Posts: 25

i would totaly play an eagle race

• babyeaterbabyeater Member Posts: 25

anheiser busch (maker of budweiser) has an eagle in the logo  its pretty common if u look for it.

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

I agree they aren't exactly a "symbol" of Chinese people, but because pandas are indigenous to China, people all over the world think of China when they see a panda. Same as Bald Eagles and the US; Chihuahuas and Mexico; Kangaroos and Australia; and so on.

Kung Fu is indigenous to China also. As was mentioned before, its not that far of a leap.

The point I was trying to make and failed is that Blizzard didn't introduce Pandas to try to intice the Chinese to play WoW. They did it because the Pandarins were the most wanted new playable race in Warcraft lore.

Silly yes but that is what the kiddies wanted.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

why pandas?!  Why not...bears?...or crocodiles? Why pandas?
    I dunno, but if a game was released where you could play a martial artist crocodile, I have to say, I would hit that pretty hard.

Originally posted by Banquetto

why pandas?!  Why not...bears?...or crocodiles? Why pandas?

I dunno, but if a game was released where you could play a martial artist crocodile, I have to say, I would hit that pretty hard.

How bout Kung Fu Spider? I would seriously play that.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

The pandaren predate Kung Fu Panda by five years. Does no one remember WarCraft III?

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Ok -...

So pandas = asian culture

Kung fu = asian culture...

So kung fu pandas.

----

So people have said Eagle = U. S.

What would this eagle do?  Shoot guns and use drones on innocent people?  Maybe have some torture attacks? lol..

----

I wouldn't mind being a crocodile or spider, that could be bad ass.  How many attacks would this spider have? lol

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

in the case of WoW it is pretty simple.

Samwise Didier(SP) like to draw pandas, and having seen the guy it is easy to understand. Samwise worked on the art for some (if not all) of the warcraft/starcraft games.  Other people found the little fighting pandas rather cute. They became a unit in WC3 as a sort of inside-joke. Other people liked them too. Blizzard needed a setting for  a new expansion. And having turned pretty much every other part of Azeroth insde out they used the Pandarans and Pandaria.

And in all honesty, since WoW have the gnomes they have... Pretty much anything goes.

This have been a good conversation