Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: OnLive Adds Windows Functionality to iPad

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

OnLive has announced the release of OnLive Desktop which brings the power of Windows to iPads everywhere. Windows is hosted on remote servers and streamed to a customer's iPad. According to developers, the seamless transfer will look, act and feel like a native component of the iPad.

The FREE* OnLive Desktop app comes with 2 GB of secure cloud storage and as-available access to a cloud-based Windows 7 desktop pre-populated with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, plus several utilities and touch games. Using instant-response touch gestures such as pinch and zoom, flick to scroll, drag, drop and Aero snap, users can quickly and easily navigate files, open, edit and save the ones they need, and store them securely in the cloud for access from any device through a simple Web interface. PC apps have full desktop functionality: Word documents can be created and edited with full redline and commenting capability, using a full Windows touch-screen keyboard, handwriting recognition or Bluetooth keyboard. PowerPoint presentations can be created with rich graphics, videos and animated slide transitions, and even presented directly from the iPad, either onscreen or via an external monitor. Data can be updated and analyzed instantly in Excel, translated into graphs and transferred into presentation documents. With OnLive Desktop, work is now possible anywhere you have an iPad and Internet connectivity, with the immediacy, functionality and responsiveness of a local PC.

Find out more about OnLive Desktop.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

If I have acess to a PC to drive it why the hell would I want to play on a 9" screen?

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

I think you're missing the beauty of an iPad, Lowcaian. People take it on the road, to business meetings where they can't take their ball and chain desktop with them. It's handy to have Windows available on a portable device. :D

I don't think that the idea here is for playing MMOs. It's mostly for business or surfing or whatever.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    I can just leave my PC on at home, take the iPad and run SplashTop on both. I then have full control + can play games on it.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

Originally posted by SBFord

I think you're missing the beauty of an iPad, Lowcaian. People take it on the road, to business meetings where they can't take their ball and chain desktop with them. It's handy to have Windows available on a portable device. :D

I don't think that the idea here is for playing MMOs. It's mostly for business or surfing or whatever.

I can see the use of it sometimes, however no matter what, I still don't see the advantage of a pad compared to a Notebook or even a laptop that is vastly superior and depending on model not that much bigger.

• Tenaka30Tenaka30 Member UncommonPosts: 84

Originally posted by Lowcaian 

I can see the use of it sometimes, however no matter what, I still don't see the advantage of a pad compared to a Notebook or even a laptop that is vastly superior and depending on model not that much bigger.

If you had a notebook then you would uset he Onlive PC app if you wanted to use their services.  This isn't about what you can do with a notebook though, it's about what you can now do with an iPad, a device on whcih you would never expect to find Win7.

Also not sure if you picked up on it since but your first post implies you missed the point of Onlive, that it doesn't require you to have a PC for the onlive app running on the iPad to connect to, that the "PC" you actually connect to is their Onlive cloud service.

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

payed PR article is discusting imho. are you low on money or something? better present some form of donation compain and preserve some jurnalism quality than this imho

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Timacek

payed PR article is discusting imho. are you low on money or something? better present some form of donation compain and preserve some jurnalism quality than this imho

Any proof to back up such claims, big guy?

"imho" this is quite important piece of gaming news and it "imho" fits under General news and it "imho" is relevant and important. 

Being in business that requires me to travel a LOT and fast, being able to access windows 7 in the middle of hallway or in train-station or hell, anywhere, is VERY relevant.  Ipad is more compac than most netbooks an with this, a wholly lot more useful. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

Originally posted by Tenaka30

If you had a notebook then you would uset he Onlive PC app if you wanted to use their services.  This isn't about what you can do with a notebook though, it's about what you can now do with an iPad, a device on whcih you would never expect to find Win7.

Also not sure if you picked up on it since but your first post implies you missed the point of Onlive, that it doesn't require you to have a PC for the onlive app running on the iPad to connect to, that the "PC" you actually connect to is their Onlive cloud service.

But why would I? Yes having W7 apps on the iPad I get that but why? Why wouldn't I (especially as a professional) wan't to have a full fledged PC, loaded with the software I want that can do all this and infinetly more? I have full control of my applikations and data, the only price I have to pay is carrying around a bigger device, depending on what PC I choose it will only be slightly bigger at that.

• sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115

i dont see the relevance of this on mmorpg.com tbh.

AFAIK this is not a place to advertise for ipad's.

and AFAIK an ipad is not a mmo or a pc game of relevance like diablo 3.

• JediDexJediDex Member Posts: 1

OnLive is very much relevant due to it being a gaming service. This is a general topic which makes it very much alright for this not be an MMO discussion. What OnLive is achieving will make it possible--hopefully soon--for the worse PCs and iPads to run MMOs. Think outside the box, kids. Be less butthurt that the iPad is being discussed on this site and imagine what could happen if OnLive continues with what they are doing.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Just get  laptop.

Also it's streamed through Wifi so what is the point? Just has all the same problems of Remote desktop apps...

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Only here could a piece of light hearted interesting bit of information be taken and turned into a argument.

Thanks for the info. I recently bought a ipad and really enjoy playing games on it, so info like this is nice to read.

• Tenaka30Tenaka30 Member UncommonPosts: 84

But why would I? Yes having W7 apps on the iPad I get that but why? Why wouldn't I (especially as a professional) wan't to have a full fledged PC, loaded with the software I want that can do all this and infinetly more? I have full control of my applikations and data, the only price I have to pay is carrying around a bigger device, depending on what PC I choose it will only be slightly bigger at that.

I don't know, why would you?

Do you have an iPad?  No?  Then this feature is not for you.  It's not telling you to buy an iPad, it's telling you "oh look what you can do with that iPad you already own".

If you do own an iPad and cannot see at the very least how this might be of interest to fellow iPad owners then you are trying extremely hard to miss the point.

• SerpentarSerpentar Member Posts: 246

The only major detractor I can see if one were to use the Ipads 3G connectivity to run this service. Being a cloud based application, how much bandwidth does it need to utilitize and if it comes to very much will it run up a siginificant bill with your data provider. Especially seeing most of them are moving away from unlimited plans.

Beyond typing out a full word document, which I am not sure how difficulty would be on a tablet. I can't really think of any more detractors. And to be honest, would much rather lug around a couple pound tablet vrs a 5-10 lbs laptop. Though with ultrabooks already here and more models/verisions on the way the line between the two is getting significantly more smuged. 

• zhivikzhivik Member Posts: 38
    The reality is that a tablet (regardless of brand) is much more comfortable to carry at the moment than a notebook at the same price. In fact, Microsoft is delopping Windows 8 with the idea that the OS could be used simultaneously on PCs and mobile devices. Now, a tablet that can run Wndows-based applications will be truly a market-breaker, much more than the iPad is now, and Apple apparently are trying to stay on top with that.

Regarding how convenient it is to type with a tablet - well, I am typing this on an iPad, and it is quite easy. You do need some time to get used to it, but once you do, it's a breeze. Anyways, my point is that once a tablet comes out that supports Windows, I will most probably buy it at once, and get rid of my laptop, because I won't need it anymore. The odds are that Samsung will be the one to offer a Windows-based tablet, though, whih means that Apple are simply trying not to lose their market share. They will probably incorporate the iOS with their MacOS, but it won't be enough to compete with any Windows-based tablet, so there you go.

By the way, I'm not sure whether tablets are good gaming platforms for MMOs, but they are perfect for point-and-click, puzzle, or card and board games.