Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone else remember the day Brad Sold VG to SOE?

jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

I remember reading the news and being completely disgusted, it was like the ultimate thing you didnt want to see happen to VG, especially since SOE had driven EQ to the ground and tarnished the EQ name with EQ2... I think that last thing anyone wanted to see was another Brad Mcquaid game in the hands of SOE.

Still though I cant argue, the reason Vg failed was because of poorly allocated resources and overzealous promises from Mr.Mcquaid.

It just almost seems like some eleborate made up story.

Evil Corporation steals one mans dream game and forces him to leave or sell out, only for him to make a new dream game and then sell out to the same corporation that made him leave with honor or drown in the first place!

Its truely a terrible tale when you think about it.

Comments

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

soe kept VG afloat...Brad is the one who seriously mismanaged the game into the debacle that is.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by miagisan

soe kept VG afloat...Brad is the one who seriously mismanaged the game into the debacle that is.

+1 to that..is VG f2p yet?

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

I've never been as excited for a game before or after as I was for Vanguard and nd have yet to be as dissapointed as I was when this game bombed. Darkfall was a close second, but not quite.

Heres to hoping another like it makes it way into our hands in the next 10 years. Imagine a game with the love, beauty, integrity,  challenge and immesrion as Vanguard with modern, streamlined mechanics. 

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Yes I remember, he was also very addicted to prescription pain killers too during a lot of  VG's development when it was Sigil if I remember right.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Originally posted by miagisan

One of the scarce occasions where SOE is mainly innocent and the blame has to go to Mr. Quaid and partly Microsoft.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Originally posted by Ozreth

I've never been as excited for a game before or after as I was for Vanguard and nd have yet to be as dissapointed as I was when this game bombed. Darkfall was a close second, but not quite.

Heres to hoping another like it makes it way into our hands in the next 10 years. Imagine a game with the love, beauty, integrity,  challenge and immesrion as Vanguard with modern, streamlined mechanics. 

I completely agree with you, i remember how intently i awaited VG. I posted on the forums for years and would tell all my friends day in and day out how VG was going to be the "Morrowind" of online games.

Its a shame it didnt turn out better, because VG had some great concepts, IE Diplomacy, varied starting areas and continents.

Although I feel the multiple continents is also what killed the game, you could see there was so much work they had to put into so much open space, and it was all kinda for nothing cause you couldnt even build player structures in the open game world, which I never understood about that game.

I guess after SWG i was spoiled by what you could do with a game.

We need SWG 2

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

-------

Yes I remember it and I have never ever been so fast and making sure countless times that my account is cancelled immediately.

Came home saw the news and was like "wtf I knew this was coming" but the mass exodus happened during Beta 2 after they announced Soe as publisher.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

They really need to get F2p released... game is very quiet atm :(