Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Danny Wojcicki - 6 out of 10

2»

Comments

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by Kaledus

Nothing unprofessional about someone who obviously can make a good review. It is simple as that. I feel bad for you though, because you seem blinded by your own judgement. You are not very perceptive, creating assumptions out of thin air as if they make sense.

Did I state that everyone should see things the same way I wanted? No.. I was stating my own opinion on this whole ordeal, whether someone takes it one way or another, I could care less. I am just voicing how I feel about this decision, as it seems unfair. The guy is now just standing up for himself, and was wanting to reveal a sad truth about this website. Of course being professional as he is, he removed that statement about being taken off the staff. Can you not see that he was smart enough to behave himself, despite what he wanted to note to everyone?

Nope, obviously you didn't see the thread he posted on the darkfall forums stating,  "I'm awesome, look how I scored SWTOR" 

Seems much less like an unbiased opinion and more like an attention grab, which is where the unprofessional comment comes from.   

And as for me being "not very perceptive"  I'm not the one who stated "I can no longer trust what they review, cause I know it will probably be sugar coated".     That has an undertone of simply not liking something because they gave it a fair review when your opinion is poor, it has nothing to do with sugar coating.  You don't like that they gave it a fair score.

At the end of the day, if he was removed from the staff, it was for a specific reason, one at which is unlikely we'll ever know... and he isn't even a common reviewer so I doubt it would have anything to do with one specific review.  In my opinion it would be more along the lines of conduct.

I don't know about on the backend, but for the most part MMORPGs staff is pretty open and, especially on the community end, very understanding... so whatever the reason, just like with everything else,  we can only assume based on the half story we have.  

I am going to have to agree with the Masked one on this...

...OMG hell just froze over...

when Danny went to the DF forums and made his post...he basically threw his integrity out the window.  For all we know he wrote his original little blurb as a means to gain attention.   Which for all we know, with his little blurb, "Actually, I was let go from MMORPG.com indirectly because of this article."    is just his way of getting attention.   Sorry Danny, but you blew it.  

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I agree with everything said here. I could write 3 pages more on the bad things about this game.

But i like the game a lot because i actually have a character instead of a mindless drone that i kill stuff with.

I have 2500 light side points and 4000 dark side points because i actually created a personality for my character. Sure the three dialogue choices are stifling and due to biowares horrible implementation of rewards i am penalized for  making different choices in different situations but its still better then the normal mindless husk we usually get in MMO's.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Originally posted by Teala

Nothing unprofessional about someone who obviously can make a good review. It is simple as that. I feel bad for you though, because you seem blinded by your own judgement. You are not very perceptive, creating assumptions out of thin air as if they make sense.

Did I state that everyone should see things the same way I wanted? No.. I was stating my own opinion on this whole ordeal, whether someone takes it one way or another, I could care less. I am just voicing how I feel about this decision, as it seems unfair. The guy is now just standing up for himself, and was wanting to reveal a sad truth about this website. Of course being professional as he is, he removed that statement about being taken off the staff. Can you not see that he was smart enough to behave himself, despite what he wanted to note to everyone?

Nope, obviously you didn't see the thread he posted on the darkfall forums stating,  "I'm awesome, look how I scored SWTOR" 

Seems much less like an unbiased opinion and more like an attention grab, which is where the unprofessional comment comes from.   

And as for me being "not very perceptive"  I'm not the one who stated "I can no longer trust what they review, cause I know it will probably be sugar coated".     That has an undertone of simply not liking something because they gave it a fair review when your opinion is poor, it has nothing to do with sugar coating.  You don't like that they gave it a fair score.

At the end of the day, if he was removed from the staff, it was for a specific reason, one at which is unlikely we'll ever know... and he isn't even a common reviewer so I doubt it would have anything to do with one specific review.  In my opinion it would be more along the lines of conduct.

I don't know about on the backend, but for the most part MMORPGs staff is pretty open and, especially on the community end, very understanding... so whatever the reason, just like with everything else,  we can only assume based on the half story we have.  

when Danny went to the DF forums and made his post...he basically threw his integrity out the window.  For all we know he wrote his original little blurb as a means to gain attention.   Which for all we know, with his little blurb, "Actually, I was let go from MMORPG.com indirectly because of this article."    is just his way of getting attention.   Sorry Danny, but you blew it.  

You kinda described anyone who has ever posted anything on the internet ever. See, I'm after attention right now! Success! Hehehe. :P

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I disagree. It's like a blogger posting a link to his blog on a forum he visits often. If more people view "x" article on said blog (or website like MMORPG.com) and agreed with it, then the author will gain more "followers" which in turn will help him to keep either the blog running or the job at websites like MMORPG.com.  I don't see this as a way of getting attention at all quite frankly.

MMORPG.com wanted a negative review to appeal to whatever crowd it is that may not agree with the rest of the article where several MMORPG.com staff practically demanded SWTOR's hand in marriage. It was basically like throwing him into a pack of wolves while they just stand there and watch just to keep that "fair and balance"  appearance that so many media seems to be hooked on. In turn, he (Danny) offered a fair review, and tried to get more members to view it (which most websites usually LOVES because it means more traffic). I think there's no doubt that being "fired" made him angry, which in turn pushed him to post this review, but nothing that I would classify as someone just wanting to get some attention. Besides, that part you quoted was removed about a minute later, had he really been trying to seek some attention, pretty sure that part would still be there.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

So what? His review is still spot on and tons more honest than any other so called professional review.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

I disagree. It's like a blogger posting a link to his blog on a forum he visits often. If more people view "x" article on said blog (or website like MMORPG.com) and agreed with it, then the author will gain more "followers" which in turn will help him to keep either the blog running or the job at websites like MMORPG.com.  I don't see this as a way of getting attention at all quite frankly.

MMORPG.com wanted a negative review to appeal to whatever crowd it is that may not agree with the rest of the article where several MMORPG.com staff practically demanded SWTOR's hand in marriage. It was basically like throwing him into a pack of wolves while they just stand there and watch just to keep that "fair and balance"  appearance that so many media seems to be hooked on. In turn, he (Danny) offered a fair review, and tried to get more members to view it (which most websites usually LOVES because it means more traffic). I think there's no doubt that being "fired" made him angry, which in turn pushed him to post this review, but nothing that I would classify as someone just wanting to get some attention. Besides, that part you quoted was removed about a minute later, had he really been trying to seek some attention, pretty sure that part would still be there.

Maybe it was how he did it that is more important.   If you followed the original story about his posting over on the DF forums some might say his integrity is in question.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

spot on review .............bumped for Truth!!

Maybe it was how he did it that is more important.   If you followed the original story about his posting over on the DF forums some might say his integrity is in question.

He's been a long and active member of DarkFall, and several ex-DarkFall player still frequent that forum too. RipperX (who posts many videos on this site) often posts videos of his (MMORPG.com links) on DarkFall's forum as well. Haven't seen anyone get all butthurt about it  or claiming that he's just seeking attention/has no integrity.

Edit: Inb4 someones claims that I'm hating RipperX or whatever they can come up with, No. I'm not. He's a great guy, does very entertaining videos as well.

• NeoCountNeoCount Member Posts: 10

I beg to differ. The quality of his review wasn't in question, so "throwing him into a pack of wolves" is a moot point (and i agree with every score he gave and every criticism he put on the table in his review).

I honestly believe it was related to his conduct - boasting his review on a hardcore sandbox game forum smelled bad.  No way around it. That post hurt his credibility, even though the issues he raised in his review were, indeed, valid.

Again, so what? I don't care if he runs around naked on the Time Square to get attention. His review is still the only honest and accurate review of SW:TOR we have seen. For someone who have criticised SW:TOR I thought you would see that but then again your position on this game seems strange.

One one side you are giving it the legitimate criticism it deserves, on the other hand you are praising its box sale numbers or trying to delegitimise honest reviews of the game. Really dont understand what you are trying to achieve.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Yamota

Again, so what? I don't care if he runs around naked on the Time Square to get attention. His review is still the only honest and accurate review of SW:TOR we have seen. For someone who have criticised SW:TOR I thought you would see that but then again your position on this game seems strange.

One one side you are giving it the legitimate criticism it deserves, on the other hand you are praising its box sale numbers or trying to delegitimise honest reviews of the game. Really dont understand what you are trying to achieve.

So, in your opinion someone should either bash a game to death or praise it into heaven, that kind of black & white thinking? No middle ground where someone has praises as well as criticisms for a game? Because to me that last one in general sounds more reasonable and objective, if someone can see both goods as well as bads about a subject/person/situation/game and not only onesided.

As for the OP's review, I agree with some points, disagree with some others and think he made some errors in observation in again other points. But his review was well thought out and written, and though I only partially agree I can respect that (my personal rating would be an 8-8.5)

Originally posted by forest-nl

So funny how so many of you keep writing bad things about this game but all play it bought it and now like little child cry your toy is no good while you asked about it for year nagging your mommy.

If you hate these games dont buy it then no harm done other wsie shut..... well you know what i mean:P

Btw ive not alot of respect for tene he exploited living daylights out of Darkfall from launch on EU-1.

Maybe you need to realize that the world is not black and white. It is possible to enjoy a game, or movie, not because it is awesome but rather because it is alright, which is what this review says.

Originally posted by smh_alot

So, in your opinion someone should either bash a game to death or praise it into heaven, that kind of black & white thinking? No middle ground where someone has praises as well as criticisms for a game? Because to me that last one in general sounds more reasonable and objective, if someone can see both goods as well as bads about a subject/person/situation/game and not only onesided.

Heh, interesting that I am being accused of black and white thinking where it is the fans that is continually trying to put you in the hater section if you have any criticism of a game.

The issue here is that this review is a good review and it does not say the game is garbage but rather alright (=grey) which is what I have said all along. But the reviewer is being bashed, not because of the review, but rather because he boasted on some other forum about it which I find completely irrelevant because the review is still spot on.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Fair enough it's not your cup of tea.  Clearly you went to town on it and your entitled to your view.  I hope you find something you like soon.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

Originally posted by NeoCount

I beg to differ. The quality of his review wasn't in question, so "throwing him into a pack of wolves" is a moot point (and i agree with every score he gave and every criticism he put on the table in his review).

I honestly believe it was related to his conduct - boasting his review on a hardcore sandbox game forum smelled bad.  No way around it. That post hurt his credibility, even though the issues he raised in his review were, indeed, valid.

But it's the truth. He was the only one to give a score below what the average "reviewer" put, and MMORPG.com chose it.  If MMORPG.com hadn't chose to include his mini-review (not this one here, but the one in that round-table thingy), and he just posted one on this forum, I'd definitively understand this hurting his credibility as he'd be just another average "hater" trying to look cool... but MMORPG.com DID include his mini-review, which to me, is where I draw the line between someone just seeking attention, or someone just sharing what he wrote, and stating things for what they are; MMORPG.com's staff gave 8's and 9's while he gave a 6.

I truly don't see why people are so bothered by this, I don't understand it at all.

Note: When I mentionned "throwing him into a pack of wolves", I'm not referring to the quality of the review, but the score alone. If you look at the comments of the round-table thread, you can see A LOT of members either attacking him for the 6 he gave, or praising him for it. His review did not fit at all with the rest of the panel, and it striked me as obvious that they were just throwing him in to look "fair and balanced". You don't just pick a negative review against 4(5 or 6?) positive ones, knowing the impacts it will have for no reasons.

edit: This note looks a little too tin-foil hat-ish to my liking. Can't seem to find  a better way to phrase it though, sorry.

• NeoCountNeoCount Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by NeoCount

But it's the truth. He was the only one to give a score below what the average "reviewer" put, and MMORPG.com chose it.  If MMORPG.com hadn't chose to include his mini-review (not this one here, but the one in that round-table thingy), and he just posted one on this forum, I'd definitively understand this hurting his credibility as he'd be just another average "hater" trying to look cool... but MMORPG.com DID include his mini-review, which to me, is where I draw the line between someone just seeking attention, or someone just sharing what he wrote, and stating things for what they are; MMORPG.com's staff gave 8's and 9's while he gave a 6.

I truly don't see why people are so bothered by this, I don't understand it at all.

I am not bothered by it :) just discussing, mate.

I do see your point though, heh you made me rethink some of what i wrote earlier. Nice post.  However, I am still convinced that MMORPG.com firing him was related to his conduct and not to the scores he gave.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

Heh, interesting that I am being accused of black and white thinking where it is the fans that is continually trying to put you in the hater section if you have any criticism of a game.

The issue here is that this review is a good review and it does not say the game is garbage but rather alright (=grey) which is what I have said all along. But the reviewer is being bashed, not because of the review, but rather because he boasted on some other forum about it which I find completely irrelevant because the review is still spot on.

Well, you were the one not understanding why another poster could give criticisms as well as praise sale numbers or disagree with some criticisms someone else makes, as if one automatically should exclude the other.

Well, you were the one not understanding why another poster could give criticisms as well as praise sale numbers or disagree with some criticisms someone else makes, as if one automatically should exclude the other.

Praising sale numbers, which are not so relevant for MMORPGs and trying to attack a reviewers integrity is not disagreeing with criticism.

The fact that I agree with this review, which also bring some of the good points of the game, proves that I am all for seeing both sides. If this review gave it a 3 out of 10 then you would have a point, but it didnt.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by aleos

Originally posted by nblitz

Most interesting to me out of that whole thread was

"Actually, I was let go from MMORPG.com indirectly because of this article."

What's going on here? Why? 

If this is true from what you say, then MMORPG.com has become one of the most biased websites I have ever laid eyes on. Infact, I feel as if I have just lost all respect for those running this website, cause none of them seem to understand the magnitude of "freedom of speech". I can also no longer trust what they review, cause I know it will probably be sugar coated.

There are no real unbiased experts at MMORPG.com now thanks to the staff..

Welcome Aboard.

If this is indeed true then it shows directly what a bunch of little b!tches MMORPG.com staff are for EA/Bioware. I understand that being a gamer for a living is great and that you want to be able to get the review copy of ME3 or whatever the next big EA/Bioware game is but to let someone loose just because he calls it as he sees it showcases the entire lack of integrity this site has.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

"Integrity in question" ? i think you are reaching a bit far here.

Also "Maybe it was how he did it that is more important. " -sorry, but this is about a game's review and not about  judging a person for who he is or what he did.

I can't see how who he is or what he does makes his review in this thread less credible. I couldn't care less if he wrote it naked with pink bunnyface slippers on. All that matters is what he wrote in this thread and this should be subject of this discussion.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Tenebrion

My score: 6 out of 10

[Mod Edit]

*Looks at the link.*

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Just hopping in the locked thread to let you all know the reasons why Danny won't be paid to write for MMORPG.com anymore.

It has nothing to do with the actual article he's since posted in this thread, and in our User Reviews section of the site.  I was prepared to post it here as "Why I Don't Like SWTOR", a piece that would give players who are not fans of BioWare's latest a viewpoint that they can sympathize with.  Despite the article's somewhat one-sided deragatory nature, we were working out with Danny an article where he would debate against a fan of SWTOR the merits and demerits of the game.  

Then we saw he'd already posted the entire review you saw in the OP here on the Darkfall forums... which we were going to pay him $50 for. Then it came to our attention he'd been doing the same with other content for the Guru sites as well.  And of course, let's not forget the "I'm Awesome" thread.

It's one thing to share your content with your friends.  It's another to post content we're paying for on other sites before we even get to post it.  Upon speaking further with Danny in private emails, I realized that he's just not the type of writer I'd want representing this site.  Not because of his predaliction towards cynicism (in fact, I'm fond of that as an editorial context), but because of the way in which he seems to want little more than to grab attention for that viewpoint.  Validation through "hear-hear" and nothing more.  It became increasingly clear that he could not be objective in his writing, and whether you agree with our reviews or not, I'm sure you can see that they do try to give two sides of a coin.

I wish Danny all the best in his future endeavors, but as a reviewer and writer here at MMORPG.com, the shoe just didn't fit.

EDIT: We are still pressing on with the Good Cop/Bad Cop SWTOR article, due out at the end of this month or the beginning of next.  Just not with Danny involved.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

This discussion has been closed.