Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Blizzard Removes RMT to Get South Korean Approval

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard has been working long and hard to get Diablo III approved in South Korea. The stumbling block? Real Money Transactions. According to South Korean legislators, the RMT component of Diablo III might be in violation of the nation's anti-gambling laws.

To get finalized approval, Blizzard has opted to remove the RMT auction house for the Korean version of Diablo III.

What do you think are the potential implications for other countries or for the general future of RMT in Diablo III? Let us know!

Source: Massively

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

It'd be nice if it was removed from ALL versions, but ah well :)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by SBFord

To get finalized approval, Blizzard has opted to remove the RMT auction house for the Korean version of Diablo III.

Yep it's time to learn Korean.

Can we get a non-RMT version in English, too?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

RMT guarantees I won't buy it, remove it and I might buy it.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

Not  buying it for the simple reason of having to be online to even play the game. Wish I wouldnt have bought SC2

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

Actually the RMT auction house is the only reason I will buy it. If they opt out for the American version as well, I wont be playing this game. But i seriously doubt Blizzard will want to lose that revenue stream. They lose way too much money for items being sold on "black market websites", and for everyone that doesnt want to use RMT the game will not change for you in the slightest bit. Just keep on playing your way, and ignore that feature. Its a win/win for Blizzard, since those other websites would still exist regardless of any auction house feature they implement. This just keeps it in house, safer for the player, and discourages scams and farmers. Thanks Blizzard, keep up the good work.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Originally posted by aslan132

Actually the RMT auction house is the only reason I will buy it. If they opt out for the American version as well, I wont be playing this game. But i seriously doubt Blizzard will want to lose that revenue stream. They lose way too much money for items being sold on "black market websites", and for everyone that doesnt want to use RMT the game will not change for you in the slightest bit. Just keep on playing your way, and ignore that feature. Its a win/win for Blizzard, since those other websites would still exist regardless of any auction house feature they implement. This just keeps it in house, safer for the player, and discourages scams and farmers. Thanks Blizzard, keep up the good work.

really? Are you serious? Do you honestly think that having RMT will discourage farmers, bots and the like?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

I more shocked that South Korea has anti-gambling laws has the government ever played a Free2Play Korean game?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

Originally posted by Calerxes

I more shocked that South Korea has anti-gambling laws has the government ever played a Free2Play Korean game?

Exellent question

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Its an overall good news, korean have a lot of gambling problems like most of asia, and they probably have a lot of small gaming companies already abused the whole RMT deal, hence the action.

And honestly i don't think it will have any implication here. Might make some people understand this kind of stuff isn't as "naive" and well intended as some people claimed all over the net.

But will it change anything? i'm a pessimist. I'm not sure our government (Europe+USA) are either aware of RMT in gaming and all their implications, especially the most arming like some kids games payed by phones, and if they do, we will have to wait few years or some big event before they really act.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Requiamer

I'm not sure our government (Europe+USA) are either aware of RMT in gaming and all their implications, especially the most arming like some kids games payed by phones, and if they do, we will have to wait few years or some big event before they really act.

Or the first I.R.S vs. John Smith case resulting from D3.

On an unrealted side note, if you have the Dragona ad in the background...when's the last time you saw a woman whose boobs were bigger than her head? 

<--bad art alert.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by eyelolled

really? Are you serious? Do you honestly think that having RMT will discourage farmers, bots and the like?

No it wont, quite the opposite. But it will discourage spammers and suspicious web sites.

Still, lets hope they back with the Western versions as well. RMT have nothing to do in a game like Diablo.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

RTM dont belong in games PERIOD, NUFF SAID.

RMT just don't belongs in mmo's as Rick Santorum dont belong in politics PERIOD.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ZX81SpectrumZX81Spectrum Member Posts: 39

I like the idea of controlled/legal RMT in Diablo 3. 

I have been looking for a game that me and my wife can play which can contribute to the rising electric bill :P

40 Year old couples and gaming. Toons borrowed from Cyanide and Happiness.Text is Yours truly. Paint ftw :)

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

I'd actually consider playing Diablo 3 if there were an RMT-less NA version...

Oh well, TL2 still looks better to me anyways.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by SBFord

Yep it's time to learn Korean.

Can we get a non-RMT version in English, too?

Was thinking the same thing lol.  If I can manage to get my hands on the Korean version I may just play, if I can't then it's still a pass for me. 

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

Actually, it does. You see, having the option to buy from Blizz AH or a shady third-party, which one do you think most gamers will choose? If the price is similar between the two I think the answer is quite obvious.

Now, when you withdraw real money from Blizz AH (I think thet called it Battle.net Wallet) you have to pay Blizz like 15% (or it was 25%, can't remember)... I'm sure that will discourage farmers (that is if most people buy from Blizz AH of course).

(sorry for my english, not my main lenguage)

Originally posted by Loke666

No it wont, quite the opposite. But it will discourage spammers and suspicious web sites.

Still, lets hope they back with the Western versions as well. RMT have nothing to do in a game like Diablo.

How? They will simply advertise lower prices than others. This deters nothing lol and simply makes it more likely people will fall for those suspicious websites because they offer the same thing cheaper and...... theres no reason not to because Blizzard is fine with the RMT aspect. 

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

The game was confirmed for consoles which pretty much means its gonna be shit just like dungeon siege 3 was. Its sad :( So tired of consoles ruining games on the pc.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• SojhinSojhin Member UncommonPosts: 226

RMT auction house is a system I support. Many of us now have our own house(s) and a family. By extension enjoying a gaming passtime with a few bucks to spend on this hobby only seems to erk those that have a envy crutch.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

Originally posted by Siveria

The game was confirmed for consoles which pretty much means its gonna be shit just like dungeon siege 3 was. Its sad :( So tired of consoles ruining games on the pc.

The original Diablo was released for Sega Genesis.

So the Korean version of D3 is going to be way better than the US version. Brilliant.

Originally posted by Ghabbo

Actually, it does. You see, having the option to buy from Blizz AH or a shady third-party, which one do you think most gamers will choose? If the price is similar between the two I think the answer is quite obvious.

Now, when you withdraw real money from Blizz AH (I think thet called it Battle.net Wallet) you have to pay Blizz like 15% (or it was 25%, can't remember)... I'm sure that will discourage farmers (that is if most people buy from Blizz AH of course).

(sorry for my english, not my main lenguage)

Prices from these kinds of sites will never be similar which is one of the problems, they can afford to undercut beyond what is reasonable which doesn't allow for players to compete. 

Think of it as a mom and pop store vs. Walmart...... who can offer the lower prices and why? Same applies here. Each individual player will be the mom and pop store vs. the RMT which would be the big business like Walmart. 

The 15% to 25% Blizz gets makes this even more likely.... sorry no discouragement going on, making it more acceptable to go to those "Shady Sites" yes. 

I strongly disagree.

People will always buy items. However, this will encourage MANY more to do so.

They lost my $60 bucks.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

witch doctor FTW,  but I dont like the RMT

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

legalizing rmt and controlling it is like legalizing drugs.  it works and comes with risks and makes it more widespread.  But it works.

I'm tired of playing a game casually, but not being hardcore enough to bot pindleskin a billion times with some illegal program in order to get an item.  Now I can pay a few dollars for that piece I really want and move on with the fun parts of the game.  People can waste their lives scrounging up couch cushion change via RMT all day long for all I care.  I will be the one having fun, and this will help.  I was always too scared to do it over ebay with d2, this at least puts a system in place where people can do it safely.

Later, when I get more bored of the game, I can try and hunt for items and see about recouping my investments.  It's honestly a system that could be 100% awesome with no drawbacks (unless you are one of THOSE types [zomg you didn't grind for hours and hours and group with 8 people over and over again to get 1 thing!!!11one]), or it could be implemented poorly.  We'll see which way it goes, sounds hard to screw up to me though.