Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Incoming Patch Highlights

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Bioware has posted the patch notes for next week's Star Wars: The Old Republic update. MMORPG.com's Mike Bitton has graciously combed through the notes to give us the highlights of big changes coming down the pike:

Biochem

• All Energized, Exotech, and Rakata adrenals and stims now require 400 Biochem for use.

• The Exotech Medpac is now named “Exotech Med Unit.” Its overall healing has been reduced and is now in line with similar level medpacs, and it temporarily increases the maximum health of its targets. Use of this item now requires 400 Biochem.

• The amount healed by Rakata Medpacs has been reduced. This item now additionally increases maximum health briefly. Use of this item now requires 400 Biochem.

Cybertech

• Wynz-Tek grenades now require 400 Cybertech for use.

• Wynz-Tek Grenades have had their damage reduced to bring them more in line with grenades of similar level.

• The Wynz-Tek Firestorm grenade’s damage has been reduced to bring it in line with grenades of similar level. It now deals damage every 3 seconds over 12 seconds.

Bioware has also posted an explanation regarding the changes noted above that is worth time reading on the official Star Wars: The Old Republic forums.

What do you think? Good changes? Bad ones? Let us know!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Sourd420Sourd420 Member Posts: 63

love how they went on to explain the Medpacks saying they were to strong for HIGH END raiding. So another game changing machanics because of the top 2% of players?

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

and this is priority?

• inhabited82inhabited82 Member Posts: 6

i take it u havnt pvped becouse the med packs and the stacking potions were to powerful

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347

It is a fair priority, and it's not just a mechanic for HIGH END players.

Basically, the game as it sits today has the most worthless crafting ever.. UNLESS.. You're Biochem.

So basically what's happening, rather than improving the usefulness of other crafting professions, lets just go ahead and make them ALL useless.

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• metalguy23metalguy23 Member Posts: 90

Nah Bioware dont patch the low rez textures so we can actually see the game the way it looks on your pc's there lol, also no AA (yeah they fixed it lets just see how it runs lol probably not well on my nice rig). Ah the Hero Engine why? Great decision there guys the engine is terrible, next time do a blizzard and create your own in house engine even it takes awhile. Lesson learned, go take a look at Arenanet and GW2 they created their own engine and it's amazing, DX10 shadows, DX11 stuff in there too and wow the lighting oh and AA is in there too. This just reminds me of WAR and how it looked 10 times better 2 or 3 yrs before it was released you know with all shadows, and better textures. Bait and switch as usual from EA./Bioware. Sorry the games a bust in my book its a decent B2P game not a sub game though sorry.

• metalguy23metalguy23 Member Posts: 90

I love the awesome indepth tutorials for crafting I dont even know what the hell Im doing, they dont explain anything I'm sending my companion to craft when I have no idea what he's doing or what it's for, an in depth tutorial would be nice. Sorry they screwed up big time, I remember when someone at blizz said they were worried about TOR since Bioware had no experience doing an MMO, not that blizz havent screwed up but sorry I am back to WOW for a bit until GW2. To tell you the truth the servers are doing very well over in WOW and there's guild recruiting and people grouping all over the place, I see people all over at least 100's or 1000's even online. TOR looks like a ghost town with 56 people on the planet I am on lol, yeah that's massive lol. Huh? Sorry nope not massive, take away the $15 per month and I will continue playing untl then see ya sorry have a great time there in a single player game with MMO features tacked on.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Well im glad I already left the game, this patch would have made me leave anyway hehe, biochem is a very expencive craft to level to the top and the only benifit it had was having better medpacks and buff then simulair of the same level you could get from vendors or as rewards.

cybertech was the other usefull crafting standing a little out from the reward/loot system, now also useless (besites a few exclusive vanity items)

While I can understand the logic behind these nerfts (must have craft x else youre weaker then those who have it.)  they should have simply remove any restiction from the medpacks so they could be sold on the market and everyone could use them.

Stupit move thats gona cost them customers.

• xZeRGzxZeRGz Member Posts: 118

Rift is again looking better and better, add to that, $99 a year subs... decisions, decisions

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by xZeRGz
    Rift is again looking better and better, add to that, $99 a year subs... decisions, decisions
    Wait for the posts "GW2 wasn´t my cup of tea. But since I played three weeks, I didn´t lose money."
    People easily get hyped for the next big thing without looking back, except of Nostalgia about their first game.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Aren't like those two the only two crafting skills which were useful in PvP? 

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by sigurd57

Basically, the game as it sits today has the most worthless crafting ever.. UNLESS.. You're Biochem.

So basically what's happening, rather than improving the usefulness of other crafting professions, lets just go ahead and make them ALL useless.

Yep, this is my impression too. Really shows the lack of experience Bioware has in MMOs.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Never mind, saw that the nerfs were but part of the overall patch.  Glad to see them adding some content, even if it's a flashpoint / operation I will never do.

• AzorithAzorith Member UncommonPosts: 188

I am making quite a bit of money selling color crystals, even by using Treasure Hunting missions to obtain my gems. I don't think all are completely useless..

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    This is a huge problem in pvp. Also this is the first in a line of adjustments to help balance crew skills. Much more is to come and this balance is needed way more then texture patch. BW needs to move fast on this to keep the crafter community.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by DecoyTrooper

and this is priority?

Thank you what about the huge number of bugs in the game that didn't even pass alpha, the imbalance of classes, the imbalance of the number of players in pvp zones of only one faction side, the list goes on.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

set your pc right and the looks shouldnt be too bad ,i aint sure i have found all my small stuff but i found a few and it improved thing al lot !it is hard to judge our computer with wow trees looks so bad and everything is so caurse that you would never notice if it is badly set but i found out a lot of stuff were bug at my end ui never fixe4d if your system doesnt report any error or compatibiluity issue cool but i bet your system have mentioned stuff in its reporting and you didnt go check see what cause it!

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Yeah let's complain about textures, I bet only half of you guys can run a game like this on high res textures. For the people going back to wow, good, but don't complain that the textures in TOR are bad take alook at wow lol.

And no not every crafting profession is useless.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I really can't wait for GW2 or TSW to launch so most everyone here griping about the pettiest things can move on already.  This blind hate, nitpicking, is getting out of hand.  It's a GAME not the mortgage on your house, sheesh.

Anyway, about the notes, so they are nerfing biochem and cybertech a bit, no big deal, it isn't the first time in history an MMO dev has nerfed things and it won't be the last.  Adapt or leave.  Just do it quietly.

• ooblaoobla Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by itgrowls

Originally posted by DecoyTrooper

and this is priority?

Thank you what about the huge number of bugs in the game that didn't even pass alpha, the imbalance of classes, the imbalance of the number of players in pvp zones of only one faction side, the list goes on.

Strange I've seen a few bugs but no more than WoW had at its start and certainly not huge numbers . Class imbalances have been a feature of every single mmo ever . The same goes for faction imbalances .

Can I ask what mmo you have been playing before ToR that doesn't suffer from or hasn't suffered from the same things you list here ?????

Perhaps its time for you to give up mmos because you obviously can't enjoy any of them anymore .

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

Like elocke said.. I can't wait for GW2 and TSW to come out..so people can start their baseless complaining about those games too and we can enjoy TOR.

The game's launch was amazingly smooth, if Rift hadn't launched just before it it would've been the smoothest launch I've ever expirienced. Both Trion and Bioware set new standards for polish and server stabillity on release (Do people not remember how horrendously bad the launches of EQ2, WOW, DDO..etc were ?)

I mean seriously though..there's a person here complaining about imbalance in world pvp population numbers ? Isn't that the whole freaking point to world pvp ? If you want balanced teams you play warzones..you don't balance world pvp..

TOR is a great game, with tons of room to grow, rumours of another content patch in March..if they give us one every other month I see great things for this game, hopefully they keep the bug fix patches every few weeks going as well, and get the Legacy system out soon.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

And so Bioware just proves they are clueless and have ZERO experience with MMO's!

These nerfs (I am not even Biochem nor Cybertech) are totally useless and make NO SENSE whatsoever!

I agree with the negeral reaction on official boards and what people say here!

The SOLE ISSUE with Biochem is that these items are BoA (Bind on Acquire)! Just plain stupid!

The only thing they had to do, is make them BoE (Bind on Equip), so crafters can actual sell them and so everyone is able to use them! And make them not reusable.

So instead, they nerf these items into oblivion and make this crafting profession completely useless at max level too!

It's exactly what a lot of other people are saying! Most of these "Whining" PVP'ers who raced to max level, will soon be gone anyway to the next BIG THING (Guild Wars 2) and leave everyone else with a wrecked and nerfed game!

So sad! to see Bioware too turning into yet another developer that goes for the Sledge Hammer, instead of taking the careful approach, think things more through and use their "actual" brains! /sigh

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

According to the post, it was becoming something that was preventing people from getting into the raiding...if you didn't have Biochem and couldn't use those purple items, then you were not invited to the raids or to the raiding guilds. It was becoming a requirement and not a choice. Their decision makes perfect sense in that regard.

From the actual post:

TL;DR: Fancy words for ‘we nerfed BioChem and Cybertech endgame products’ because they were so good that players started considering them mandatory. Your choice of profession is not supposed to be the deciding factor for participation and success in endgame content. We still believe that BioChem and Cybertech are very worthwhile Crew Skills, especially considering the significant fortune players with these professions are able to realize on the GTN... they are however no longer the ‘golden ticket’ into endgame content.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178

Really? THIS many people are crying because their crafting skill isnt "uber overpowered" anymore? And they are leaving the game becuse of it? What a bunch of whiney little gits....You'd figure these people would learn by now, if you can craft something that is 'leaps and bounds' above other items of equal level there's going to be some changes in the near future. If that crafting skill becomes mandatory to be able to successfully pvp with, then there will definately be a patch to fix it. "Whaaaa they ruined my advantage in the game so I'm taking my ball and going home" you know, if THAT little change is making your gameplay suck that much, you were never really enjoying the game in the first place and looking for any excuse to leave...Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out, you wont be missed.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by lizardbones

According to the post, it was becoming something that was preventing people from getting into the raiding...if you didn't have Biochem and couldn't use those purple items, then you were not invited to the raids or to the raiding guilds. It was becoming a requirement and not a choice. Their decision makes perfect sense in that regard.

From the actual post:

TL;DR: Fancy words for ‘we nerfed BioChem and Cybertech endgame products’ because they were so good that players started considering them mandatory. Your choice of profession is not supposed to be the deciding factor for participation and success in endgame content. We still believe that BioChem and Cybertech are very worthwhile Crew Skills, especially considering the significant fortune players with these professions are able to realize on the GTN... they are however no longer the ‘golden ticket’ into endgame content.

No it does not make perfect sense!

Instead of nerfing the items into oblivion, they could have made them BoE and non-reusable, so crafters can actually sell what they craft and everyone being able to use them!

Now nothing basically changes, as they still give an extra advantage over someone who doesn't have Biochem! Unless they nerfed it TOTALLY into oblvion, so that this crafting profession now becomes totally useless at max level too, like all the other crafting professions.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

This!  Without strong crafting this game is going nowhere.  Even Wow's easy mode version is far superior.