Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Future of the Old Republic

Comments

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

EA ceo should demote the people who push to launch the game in Dec.

Bring in Dice or Crytek engineer to look into SWTOR cos it seems SWTOR dev are incompetent in other matters beside VO.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• tzattzat Member Posts: 26

Tell you the future....Free To Play!!   This is a single player game trying to sell itself as a MMO

• saltydog3saltydog3 Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by oobla

Originally posted by convict

Why are they advertising with hi res textures, but we can't play using them? At highest settings the game doesnt look like that.

Do you mean the screenshots ? I'm playing it highest settings on a decent monitor what I'm seeing looks exactly like whats pictured in them . If so I can only assume you've not played it on highest settings or not played it at all .

Stop with your BS the graphics dont look like that, I play on the highest setting still don't look like that.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Just proves the point of those of us who were pointing out the serious lack of honesty in the industry. With phrases like "taking the world by storm" and "loads of content" how do these sites and magazines really expect the playerbase to take them seriously anymore? Then we have the players who need glasses because they seriously don't know what real high settings look like. Make a video capture or it didn't happen on your machine. Let the community decide if it's high rez you are seeing or not because we all highly doubt it.

• greekgeekgreekgeek Member UncommonPosts: 20

I like that we get some new stuff so fast, to the people who said they got a half shipped game, its an MMO they always add new stuff.

To those complaining about the collectors edition, one big reason for the 150 price tag was the damn statue. Walk into any comic or toy shop and you will see similar statues selling for $80-$100. You get to keep that, its well made, good detail and nice.

And to those that keep saying we quit, cancelled and so forth, thats nice, thanks for sharing. How about add something helpfull as to why exactly and not just the same drivel everyone else says.

www.gofigureitout.ca

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

Great to see all these new additions to the game coming out so soon, I and my friends are loving it at the moment, do not understand what the issue with graphics are to me this game looks damn good.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

The in game graphics do match the pics shown, the pics shown are hardly cutting edge and the in game graphics are the same.

This article told us virtually nothing at all. Clearly it was felt a spam article was needed as a fill in. SWtOR is a fine game, but endless hype even after launch can only harm it.

• GamecriticGamecritic Member Posts: 34

Ya the future of FTP!!!

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I like this website, yes there's a lot of trolling & yes there's some unnecessary whining going on, but distilled from all of that chaos there are frequently very cogent points being made, I didn't rush out & buy SWTOR the minute it was available because I wanted a hands-on first, which I got in Beta, I've formed my own opinions of the game & only got the CE on pre-order after much deliberation.

I'm very much enjoying the game, it scratches my Star Wars itch & my MMO itch.

Does the game do all the things it should? Not by a country mile it doesn't, it's a great quality game with it's normal share of minor bugs, it's very badly missing a huge big chunk of the Star Wars humour, which is the thing I find the biggest missing element from the storylines & plot devices, & characters. From a mechanics point of view I think the combat is seriouisly dated & could have been given a huge kick in the pants to bring it to a more cutting-edge feel,.

What is there right now is very enjoyable & fun, and my guild/gaming community are also enjoying it a lot which makes me think this game is one I'll be sticking with for a long while yet, hopefully customer service will improve a lot, ticket response times are quite slow right now, but the frequent updates to bug fixes are a good start & I look forward to what the update will bring.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Originally posted by Coolit

Already moved on, I was very disappointed by this game overall and now feel a sucker for buying the CE :(

• AzorAhai-ArchangelAzorAhai-Archangel Member UncommonPosts: 27

Not understanding all the "hate" directed @ this game. The game is awesome. It is the BEST MMO I've ever played (and I've played them all). As far as comparing new game releasing with as little amount of bugs possible, SWTOR beats them all. Some people just have to have something to b%$*h about I guess. What game doesn't have issues right out the gate. Name me one MMO that released with no bugs at all. You can't. Nuff Said!! Alot of Trolling going on here by people who haven't even played the game. At the very least, it's a fun distraction until something better comes along. I personally think it's a masterpiece, but that's me. What other MMO had new content ready 30 days after release? You B%$*hy little sissys never cease to amaze me. Always complaining about something. Is the game perfect? Hell No!. No such thing exists. And to the A-holes that said they've already canceled thier subscription - Don't equate being a cheap muthaf^&*%r with the game being bad. The game is not that bad. I've played MUCH worse. If SWOTR came out and played like EVE: Online, I would've shot someone by now. Luckily (for me) Bioware had the wherewithall to make a game for the "masses" instead of for the handfull of creepy nerds still living in their mommy's and grand-mommy's basement. Much respect to Bioware for releasing a game that is FUN to play and not filled with pre-conceived false notions of what an MMO "should be". And Oh, heres a solution for all the haters out there/on here - Go make your own damn MMO game and show all of us uninformed people how it's done. What a bunch of...........

BROTHERS, WHAT WE DO IN LIFE...EHOS IN ETERNITY

• GrizzkhitGrizzkhit Member UncommonPosts: 16

Don't get me wrong, I love this game. But I would rather they fix some of the insane bugs with hardmode flashpoints and operations before the realeased new content which most likely will be just as unplayable as the current endgame.

After a month they still haven't fixed a single one of the serious bugs currently in the game, expect for a few exploit bugs of course which again only affected very few people and not in a negative way.

I've already signed up for a 6 month period as I have plans to play trough all the 8 class stories, but all in all I'm pretty dissapointed at the rate they are fixing things. And they even have the gall to give a press release as to how much they are fixing, the biggest thing I can see that they have fixed was that they made it possible to use emotes while on a speeder! Seriously? That's just insulting.

• KamofilaKamofila Member UncommonPosts: 116

Seeing hi Rez screenshots makes me sad :(

Do you like lollipops? Suck it. Don't bite you greedy twit.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

Good to hear, the game is a massive success and will continue to grow.

Best MMO we have had in the last 7 years.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

A turd in a wookies mask is still a turd .

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Played WoW for 6 years with bad graphics. Even without the HD textures swtor looks way better then WoW. That does not matter as swtor is the best MMO I have played to date for the state its in. People forget what WoW was like when it launched. So much down time blizz was handing out buckets of free game time and maxed out rest exp. No raids, no end game content, no PvP BG, no open world PvP. Very unblanced classes to the point ally had a huge advantage when it came to raids when MC came out only because of paladins buffs. 

SWTOR has more at launch then any MMO before it and the classes are only minorly unbalanced. BW has confirmed they are working on almost everything the comuinity is complaning about from crafting to class balance. Now we are getting a new content patch within 2 months launch. GJ BW! Haters are just sad because they cant troll the swtor forums. 

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Played WoW for 6 years with bad graphics. Even without the HD textures swtor looks way better then WoW. That does not matter as swtor is the best MMO I have played to date for the state its in. People forget what WoW was like when it launched. So much down time blizz was handing out buckets of free game time and maxed out rest exp. No raids, no end game content, no PvP BG, no open world PvP. Very unblanced classes to the point ally had a huge advantage when it came to raids when MC came out only because of paladins buffs. 

SWTOR has more at launch then any MMO before it and the classes are only minorly unbalanced. BW has confirmed they are working on almost everything the comuinity is complaning about from crafting to class balance. Now we are getting a new content patch within 2 months launch. GJ BW! Haters are just sad because they cant troll the swtor forums. 

Well Said!

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

The game is solid. However, there is a great lack of individualism, IMO - even more so than WoW. SWTOR should've been the first blend of Theme Park with OPTIONAL Social Content.

This game lacks a social realm. It feels more like KoTOR Online than a real MMO. Not good.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

To the bellyachers, I'm glad you quit. Move along to Lineage II or Darkfall or whatever you're currently playing. Nothing to see here.  I'm enjoying the game, I feel for the first time where my chracter is actively involved in the story line.  The space combat is a nice distraction and a great stress reliever.  PvP can be frustrating, but the pvp tokens and exp definately takes the sting off of being trounced by the Imps most of the time.  Out of all the MMO's I've played, I like this one the most.  Don't like that? You don't have to, go play something else.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by Kamofila

Seeing hi Rez screenshots makes me sad :(

My understanding is that the game can play in high resolution textures, but it is internal still with Bioware. Probably because if released into the wild there would be a huge number of technical and performance problems. However, I think at some point it will become an option.

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

Been an avid MMO player for over 10 years and tried most of what has been launched.

Bought SW:TOR and was at the outset positive about the game. Hower after some hours of gameplay the flaws started shining through and became glaringly apparant.

Canceled the game and wont come back ever.

It's very obvious to me that Bioware has zero experience creating an MMO. This game reminds more of a KoToR3+WoW mishmash.

What really bugged me about the game was:

- Horrible UI

- Very lackluster guild-functionality and environment

- Very lackluster "housing" in form of spaceship

- Very lackluster and boring combat (not actionpaced but clunky and cumbersome)

- Uninspired tradeskill system that has been delegated from you to your "companions"

-  Companionsystem is ok but incredibly silly that you cant rename them. You have so many clones of the same companion running about. Much better vassal/companion system in other games. Even EQ2 did it better with their mercenaries. All the companionsystem has going for it is the story-related part.

- Static and very dead world. "Warzones" that seem frozen in time.

- Seems way too centered on solo-experience through the storyline than to create and actual MMO virtual world for players to engage in.

Overall I will call SW:TOR the most lackluster MMO delivered in my gaming experience.

• dagon3dagon3 Member Posts: 117

Paid $60.00 for a game that entertained me for 2 hours before i couldnt stand it anymore.

Cancelled sub before even getting to lvl five.

Completely un amusing.

My honest opinion.

For those who enjoy gratz.

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by DecoyTrooper

the future of this game is F2P

This is what will happen in the long term. In the short term, April will be the most interesting month in terms of player retention because the March update will have been consumed by people by then and the newness factor of the game will have truely worn off by then. Then you'll have WoW's next expansion coming out, which despite the panda hate & poorness of the Cata expansion, will be surprisingly successful. Then you'll have the Secret World launch too. By this time, SWTOR will have lost its chance to solidify it's presence as a mainstage game within the MMO market place, fading away to the background with other "should be HUGE!" I.P's like LOTRO, D&D, DCUO & AoC. Search your feelings, you know this to be true!

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

I hope the game does well -- or at least well enough for it to thrive and be economically profitable for Bioware. I don't care whether it "beats WoW" or not, there is enough in this game that's new here to keep me interested for a long while.

SWTOR wove together several elements that I have appreciated and enjoyed in other MMOs into a single game. I recognize that SWTOR is not for everyone, but it sure fits my playstyle really well, and I love the voicework, Star Wars setting, and companion system in particular.

It'll be interesting to see how and whether Bioware can keep adding content for this game that matches the quality I've seen thus far. If it's all to be raid content and PvP stuff, I'll probably unsubscribe once I've maxxed out my various characters (this will take me quite a while, though!), but if the new content includes more of the solo and small-group friendly content I've seen thus far, I'll be subscribing to SWTOR for quite some time.

I suspect that GW2 or Diablo 3 may ultimately draw me off from SWTOR, but it's hard to imagine ever going back to past games I've played (LotRO, STO, GW1, and AoC) after playing SWTOR. I *may* go back to WoW at some point, though.Assuming Bioware keeps adding solid content and improving the game in other ways, SWTOR will be my MMO of choice at least until GW2 or Diablo is released.

I am actually looking forward to late January when that first "free month" runs out for all those people that got the game at release and are unhappy with it, since they will -- finally! -- move on to something else and take their unhappiness with them. Then we'll see how things look in terms of player populations. That'll be the real test, imo: what the (re)subscription numbers look like come February/March.