Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Unchained: House of Crom Interview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Age of Conan: Unchained players received a high-level treat with the recent release of the House of Crom update. We had the opportunity to talk with Game Director Craig Morrison about House of Crom. Check out our exclusive interview and then let us know what you think in the comments.

MMORPG: It’s most a max-level update, right? Is there anything in the new update for the new to mid-level players to look forward to? If not, are there any plans to go back and revisit some older areas?

Well, we focused a lot on that through 2011, so it was time for the max level players to get a good chunky update again. With areas like Ardashir, with its scaling instance, and areas like The Breach and the Forgotten City, we added quite a bit to the mid-game in 2011, so this time out it is the turn of the maximum level players to feel the proverbial content love!

Read more of Bill Murphy's Age of Conan: Unchained - House of Crom Interview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I am actually most curious about the crafting system. I know they have implemented a interesting system in TSW, so they might be thinking of using the same model in AoC. Should be quite possible since they share the dreamworld engine.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Meh

• StravasStravas Member Posts: 32

Agreed . . . I've always wanted this to be a more fully featured theme park game and a better trade skill system would be a terrific addition!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Blackbrrd

I am actually most curious about the crafting system. I know they have implemented a interesting system in TSW, so they might be thinking of using the same model in AoC. Should be quite possible since they share the dreamworld engine.

Yeah, AoCs crafting and for that matter the guildcity could be reworked a lot better and have the potential to keep players occupied for a long time. It is of course possible that as a F2P game FunCom doesn't really want a good crafting system when you can buy gear from them instead but I think that would be a misstake. They can always sell crafting recepies...

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

It's been a while, since the expansion, that I logged into AoC for a good look.  The tradeskill system is something that could really add some depth to the game.  Can't wait to see how it's done.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• EadwardEadward Member UncommonPosts: 10

The problem with puzzles and riddles and secrets is that after the first people solve them, the rest will just read the forums, the wiki, google it, watch the video on youtube.

*I WONT* do that...but what about the other 23 people in the raid?

• StravasStravas Member Posts: 32

The reference to Star Wars Galaxies as a source of inspiration for the new crafting system is extremely hopeful as well.

• HluillHluill Member UncommonPosts: 161

A temple for Crom?  Sorry, but that stopped me right there.  Of all the gods to whom to build a temple, Crom?  Really?  Has no one read any Conan, the books or the comics or seen the first movie?  The only thing Crom wants from his followers is strength and perserverence.

Otherwise it's a fun game and I hope it does well.  I may even get back to it sometime.

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO, 

• Kana86Kana86 Member Posts: 5

i like to see new crafting system :D

• drf408drf408 Member Posts: 6

I have been an MMO player since 1999. AoC is one of the most underrated IMO, well now it is, it was garbage at first:). Nobody's style or opinion is wrong, but I notice more than not people actually don't like change, SWTOR, Rift, I actually like SWTOR, but  AoC for me really grabbed me with the visuals, graphics, combat and physics. I remember running across a rope bridge and expecting to run right through the mobs, nope, blocked and beat down. Classes are extremely well done.

A real crafting system and improved faction, one spread out across the various zones that doesnt have to start at 80 would be great. Another thing that casues my friends and I to lose interest is due to lack of content at the start it seems its geared to lvling really quick to 80 and not enjoying the ride. I like the idea of the free 50 lvl char, but the offline lvls i think are a bit too much. I know everyone disagrees, but to be honest I and about 3 others would be actively playing alts due to the carrot at the end of the stick. And due to all the people who complain because they cant have what others have to do have more time to play than normal (and I'm not one of them), offline AAs. Eventually everyone has their tree fill and its not really earned.

With that said I haven't given up on this game and if they can make the improvements they have been talking about I would even re-sub (un-subbed a month ago). I think this game can have a place in the market for a long time, and with the right system, it hardly looks as old as it is. Graphics, music, little imersive details make for a great world. Fingers crossed.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

Will be interesting to see if there's cross pollination when it comes to certain mechanics and features of TSW and AoC. They stated to be busy with a radical revamp of the crafting system, will be interesting to see what it'll become. I'd give House of Crom a try if it weren't for the fact that the server I'd been on before I left has emptied out a lot. A shame.
  • BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Loke666

Yeah, AoCs crafting and for that matter the guildcity could be reworked a lot better and have the potential to keep players occupied for a long time. It is of course possible that as a F2P game FunCom doesn't really want a good crafting system when you can buy gear from them instead but I think that would be a misstake. They can always sell crafting recepies...

The only gear you can buy is the PvP gear, there is no really high-end PvE gear available for purchase. Unlike what many says AoC isn't buy-to-win. Funcom could sell you the extra larger bags needed for the crafting items instead of the gear. ;)

• Vanguard008Vanguard008 Member Posts: 22

It's really nice and all for them to add new content to the game.  However those of us who have played the game know that this is not what the current sub members want.  They want the bugs, lag problems, raid issues, pvp mini games issues to be fixed.   If anyone who played this game and asked the Director about these problems that have been going on that have not been fixed they would likely never get an interview from Funcom again.   I'm not a troll just stating the facts of how the game is and Funcom CSR team is the worst in mmo industry by far.  Funcom are the ones who guild this gem of a game with content that no one really cares about, it's the bugs that needs fixing, not adding new ones with more content.  Shape up Funcom, TSW is near, and AoC is your preformance benchmark so far you guys have been failing.

Currently the only thing that works well is when such problems are posted in the AoC forums they get deleted.

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

What happened to the BIG tie in with the new Conan movie?

New temple content eh? Cool. Does the game work yet? Or is it still terrible?

The game was alrighy to play, but after 3.1 patch they have created alot of problems that they have failed to address over the past couple of months.  They are just spinning there wheels now adding content which I know only 12 people on one server even tried.  The rest of the time it's about how current balancing, bugs, raid issues that have been around for awhile have not been fixed.   Funcom no longer cares about this game it's used now for beta testing TSW engine.  With the amount of bugs that are not being fixed in AoC, it's safe to say that the new engine is failing and TSW is gonna be just as bug ridden as AoC is after 4 years of being developed.  The best AoC fans can hope for is Funcom sells the IP to get loses back and the new dev would take a few months to fix what Funcom as being doing wrong for years. 

Click rocks for pvp xp anyone, great ideas by Funcom.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Hey person with same name an the MMO Vanguard.

I play AoC, now what the heck are you talking about.

Patch 3.1 had problems, it does not now... And btw, AoC engine is not the same as TSW. Engines name is the same "Dreamworld", but the versions are different. Just like DirectX 9 is not the same as DirectX11 ;)

The Ultimate Breakdown

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

@69Cuda

The movie tie in was a few updates ago, "The Savage Coast of Turan" Heres a pretty epic overview of it on youtube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GUR9mJcREVY

I've just come back to AoC and its a pretty solid game now, the graphics and sound are still the best in the mmo space by a mile. 

Something I have noticed about these replys, must of the people who post them only do one thing, quest in the lowbie areas.  Now if you did the end game stuff such as, 24 man raids, open world pvp, HM 6 mans and mini-games you would know what I'm talking about or you well find out soon.  The population of this game is in such a decline that f2p population is worst than the sub population was a year ago.  So when you have done all the things in the game that should keep you playing.  Please feel free to add input, until than, get your toon out of tortage and on a pvp server, other than pve  servers.  This game was designed for pvp at release not pve, thus the way the combat system is setup in the game.  However do to people not being able to use the combat system and the few who knew  how  farmed these people the system is now dumbed down compared to what it use to be. 

Lets put pvp 10's into mini-games with pvp 0's and let them get 1 and 2 shotted by the pvp 10's, another great Idea by Funcom.