Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A fair summation of MO

Comments

• GMTheiaGMTheia Member Posts: 204

Originally posted by Toferio

Originally posted by GMTheia

'MO population is thru the roof' 

Hate to spoil it for you, but even for some unlikely reason SV manages to bring MO to playable state, it's population will never be "hru the roof", FFA PvP together will full loot and FpV is a very niche combo despite what many oldschool UO players may think.

'Seems like we've been sold a load of b**** about MO - it's actually awesome!

Again, irrelevant of what MO may become in future, the current state of it (or past state by then) won't change, it is in relatively poor contition.

Agree with your first comment - it is niche for sure but then many sandboxes are niche, and long may it remain so! 

So i meant 'thru the roof' for 'our' type of game. 

Since Mo is work in progress how is the future irrelevant?  

The whole driver behind the AI patch is to bring (very much) needed content in for the PvE community! 

SV will keep on adding layer after layer until one day... 

GMTheia

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Thanks everyone for attending I hope you enjoyed it. had 104 people on. Hope theres more to come. I'm thinking about starting some more Community jobs. As in Podcasts/a wiki that blows up quick and always stays true/etc etc.

[LoD] Zaga

okie Ithought he said it maxed at 200 np tho 

Obviously you were wrong there, 104 people is all your event reached. Facts>marketing speech.

Originally posted by wabben77

who cares if it's off by 90 people, I hope mortal turns into a great game someday, been dying for a good sandbox that isn't in space :) be strong theia heh.

Not sure if serious.. "off by 90" when the total amount reported is barely over 100. It tells its own tale how well MO is doing. It's obviously VERY NICHE, and not interesting.

Doubling the true number to generate more hype is very low btw, wish this Theia would at least have some decency. Well, he is paid by SV so I guess that's why there's none.

• amadmanamadman Member Posts: 19

I was at the pulse thing and I think I know where Theia got the 200 number.

There was a time where the server became over loaded because the server operator had only set the max number of people to 100. He stated that he never thought more than 100 people would come. (Just like many others were thinking I am sure.)

When restarting the server someone brought up that he could set it to unlimited but he said something like he had maxed it at 200 instead.

This is probably where Theia got the 200 number. So I dont think It was a conspiricy at all and only a misunderstanding on his part.

Anyway it was nice hearing the voices of the people working on the game and having them answer questions publicly.

"In MO, even the haters are hardcore!" - ltank

• wabben77wabben77 Member Posts: 47

90 people is more than perpetuum has online most of the time so color me impressed that mortal online still maintains this many people. Not sure what everyone's fascination is with kicking people while they're down. MO was made by a bunch of guys who are basically new at game design, and they put in tons of manhours and cash into something that gets shit on by people like you who happen to not like the game. If you don't like it don't pay attention to it, stop posting on the boards, and forget about it. Stop shitting on something others enjoy.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

90 people is more than perpetuum has online most of the time so color me impressed that mortal online still maintains this many people. Not sure what everyone's fascination is with kicking people while they're down. MO was made by a bunch of guys who are basically new at game design, and they put in tons of manhours and cash into something that gets shit on by people like you who happen to not like the game. If you don't like it don't pay attention to it, stop posting on the boards, and forget about it. Stop shitting on something others enjoy.

Don't tell people what to do, this forum exists for the purpose of discussion. The fact that SV are amateurs is no reason to treat them any differently than anyone else trying to charge money for a game.

They've sold people an inferior product, they've lied, and they've treated their paying customers like crap. Of course they're getting bashed for it. If the had behaved differently, people would have treated them differently.

• w4ffl3w4ffl3 Member Posts: 36

For me, it's that Henrik is a classic snake oil salesman.  Hypes his own stuff up so much, and scams money out of investors and customers by saying the Next Big Patch will fix everything and make MO bug-free and fun.  The sooner people wake up from his scammy ways and Star Vault goes down the tubes, the better.

• PancakeEffctPancakeEffct Member Posts: 42

I know I make this point a lot, but imagine if this game was more like elder scrolls. Half the people that sub think it is like it...but then unsub the next month later after finding out it's the opposite. They could have easily done that route with a TES feel to it, they are the only first person mmo out there I know of (besides PS2) but instead he choose the route that is completly filled with boring intricate features that no one has fun with because they are all broken that will ultimately ruin the company and everyone's hopes. They could have been rich and done something amazingly fun and new for an mmo.

But that's Henriks choice.

• RainBringerRainBringer Member Posts: 150

So you compare numbers that are akin to a piece of turd to that which is a fudgie?

Why dont you compare MO's concurrent users to EvEs? Colour me surprised that MO cant maintain more than 10% of the playerbase who were in the game beta and/or bought the boxes at launch.

What do you think is the reason for just 104 people attending a 'big heartfelt' meeting between 'passionate game developpers' and the game's players? Surely if they put in tons of manhours and cash into it, there should be more than 104 players after more than 10 times that number bought the boxes, right?

You must be new here to the MO gamespace. I hope so. Otherwise you arent really doing a stellar job at covering SV's ass by some amateur trolling. You need to understand that being a indie company is well and good, if these people were hardworking ethical game developers who got only 104 people playing and paying (for multiple accounts) then nobody would be 'shitting on them'. The thing with SV is that, they are crooks and thieves who have cheated people off their money, not talking bout some BS like selling false dreams here but committing real credit card fraud. What is on most people's minds is that Indie or Major Corporation, doest matter. A thief is never going to get the approval from people who he has once robbed from, simple as that. Nor do many want to see this thief prosper either, nothing at all to do with being an "indie team".

Why dont you get your facts right and pass some research down your system before issuing the "Indie team, have mercy" blanket statement and prevent yourself from looking like an ignorant troll next time.

• GMTheiaGMTheia Member Posts: 204

Originally posted by RainBringer

So you compare numbers that are akin to a piece of turd to that which is a fudgie?

Why dont you compare MO's concurrent users to EvEs? Colour me surprised that MO cant maintain more than 10% of the playerbase who were in the game beta and/or bought the boxes at launch.

What do you think is the reason for just 104 people attending a 'big heartfelt' meeting between 'passionate game developpers' and the game's players? Surely if they put in tons of manhours and cash into it, there should be more than 104 players after more than 10 times that number bought the boxes, right?

You must be new here to the MO gamespace. I hope so. Otherwise you arent really doing a stellar job at covering SV's ass by some amateur trolling. You need to understand that being a indie company is well and good, if these people were hardworking ethical game developers who got only 104 people playing and paying (for multiple accounts) then nobody would be 'shitting on them'. The thing with SV is that, they are crooks and thieves who have cheated people off their money, not talking bout some BS like selling false dreams here but committing real credit card fraud. What is on most people's minds is that Indie or Major Corporation, doest matter. A thief is never going to get the approval from people who he has once robbed from, simple as that. Nor do many want to see this thief prosper either, nothing at all to do with being an "indie team".

Why dont you get your facts right and pass some research down your system before issuing the "Indie team, have mercy" blanket statement and prevent yourself from looking like an ignorant troll next time.

a piece of turd to that which is a fudgie?

....?

GMTheia

• GwahlurGwahlur Member UncommonPosts: 201

Originally posted by darthturtle1

Gwahlur I expect the same amount of sarcasm next time Theia, Username, or Rohn copy and paste something ok.

While I agree with you in principle, there's a big gap in how often "the other side" copy/pastes something and how often you do it. But really, the big catalysator in this case was that i had literally just read it on mo forums a minute prior to reading it again here

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Originally posted by PancakeEffct

I know I make this point a lot, but imagine if this game was more like elder scrolls. Half the people that sub think it is like it...but then unsub the next month later after finding out it's the opposite. They could have easily done that route with a TES feel to it, they are the only first person mmo out there I know of (besides PS2) but instead he choose the route that is completly filled with boring intricate features that no one has fun with because they are all broken that will ultimately ruin the company and everyone's hopes. They could have been rich and done something amazingly fun and new for an mmo.

So true. The dev team (more likely: Henrik himself) has taken such bizarre design decisions it's not even funny. Instead of focusing on core systems, building a solid foundation of simple yet fun features and then epxanded from there, they've always gone for the most complicated route. Instead of creating an immersive world, they've made a deathmatch arena that requires a lot of hassle just to engage in random and useless fighting - fighting that doesn't even match up to other pure PvP games like Darkfall, Mount and Blade, etc.

In spite of continuous feedback and criticism from players, they've always made these strange choices, set the bar WAY too high for their limited skills and resources, and thus hurt their own game beyond repair...

"In-game chat? What are you, a WoW-lover? We've got 3d party IRC, that's immersion for you!"

"In-game maps? Don't you have internet? Google a fan-made map, you noob!"

"Quests? You damn themepark carebear, that would make the game fun! We're hardcore! Our niche audience prefers whacking at bugged mobs or staring at mining animations for the first 10 hours."

"Third person view? Like every other MMO? Don't you understand that forced first person view is much more realistic? I mean, in real life, your vision is restricted to a square, haven't you noticed? And besides, your character is so damn ugly you're not missing out on anything... "

"Night-time in which you can actually play? No, we'll make it so dark that you can't see your own pixel-dick, and at the same time we'll make torches useless. Just download a gamma hack program, everybody else does. It's so immersive running around with night-vision goggles in this fantasy world!"

"Fluid combat? No no, let's do a fps-style, graphics-heavy system based on multiple hitboxes and millions of possible mat/gear combos, just to make things hard on ourselves! Then we can spend months and month on getting basic combat to work, instead of adding actual features to the game!"

"Trade tools, empire building tools, meaningful housing, social clothing and other sandbox stuff? Fuck it, let's implement a half-assed thievery system and some useless fishing instead!"

"Working GUI? Screw that, let's make a gene system for mounts that nobody wants! It will mess up horses and mounted combat but who cares? We sure as hell don't!"

"Fun PvE? Working AI? Nah, that's not out style. We'll give you a complicated and boring hunger/fatigue system instead, so that you can grind some more between the mat grinds and money grinds necessary for the bugged out, meaningless PvP that is the main feature of our game."

"Meaningful PvP? OK then, we'll make this overly intricate TC system so that PvP looks more meaningful, although in practice it's as shallow as ever. It will steal resources and time away from the much needed core stuff that we've postponed for the last 18 months, but at least some PvP junkies will stay subbed. We know we've promised to shift focus away from PvP for just a moment and perhaps bring some sandbox players back, but it's just so fun promoting more senseless ganking. After all, the remaning playerbase is 95% PK."

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

{mod edit}

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

{mod edit}

strange, because at one time the community in the MO forum of mmorpg was asking for a member of SV to come talk to them on here.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Originally posted by deathshroud

strange, because at one time the community in the MO forum of mmorpg was asking for a member of SV to come talk to them on here.

Perhaps they expected someone who wouldn't spin as much.

doubt it, they were originally asking for henrik or discord image

• PancakeEffctPancakeEffct Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by Biskop

Originally posted by PancakeEffct

So true. The dev team (more likely: Henrik himself) has taken such bizarre design decisions it's not even funny. Instead of focusing on core systems, building a solid foundation of simple yet fun features and then epxanded from there, they've always gone for the most complicated route. Instead of creating an immersive world, they've made a deathmatch arena that requires a lot of hassle just to engage in random and useless fighting - fighting that doesn't even match up to other pure PvP games like Darkfall, Mount and Blade, etc.

In spite of continuous feedback and criticism from players, they've always made these strange choices, set the bar WAY too high for their limited skills and resources, and thus hurt their own game beyond repair...

"In-game chat? What are you, a WoW-lover? We've got 3d party IRC, that's immersion for you!"

"In-game maps? Don't you have internet? Google a fan-made map, you noob!"

"Quests? You damn themepark carebear, that would make the game fun! We're hardcore! Our niche audience prefers whacking at bugged mobs or staring at mining animations for the first 10 hours."

"Third person view? Like every other MMO? Don't you understand that forced first person view is much more realistic? I mean, in real life, your vision is restricted to a square, haven't you noticed? And besides, your character is so damn ugly you're not missing out on anything... "

"Night-time in which you can actually play? No, we'll make it so dark that you can't see your own pixel-dick, and at the same time we'll make torches useless. Just download a gamma hack program, everybody else does. It's so immersive running around with night-vision goggles in this fantasy world!"

"Fluid combat? No no, let's do a fps-style, graphics-heavy system based on multiple hitboxes and millions of possible mat/gear combos, just to make things hard on ourselves! Then we can spend months and month on getting basic combat to work, instead of adding actual features to the game!"

"Trade tools, empire building tools, meaningful housing, social clothing and other sandbox stuff? Fuck it, let's implement a half-assed thievery system and some useless fishing instead!"

"Working GUI? Screw that, let's make a gene system for mounts that nobody wants! It will mess up horses and mounted combat but who cares? We sure as hell don't!"

"Fun PvE? Working AI? Nah, that's not out style. We'll give you a complicated and boring hunger/fatigue system instead, so that you can grind some more between the mat grinds and money grinds necessary for the bugged out, meaningless PvP that is the main feature of our game."

"Meaningful PvP? OK then, we'll make this overly intricate TC system so that PvP looks more meaningful, although in practice it's as shallow as ever. It will steal resources and time away from the much needed core stuff that we've postponed for the last 18 months, but at least some PvP junkies will stay subbed. We know we've promised to shift focus away from PvP for just a moment and perhaps bring some sandbox players back, but it's just so fun promoting more senseless ganking. After all, the remaning playerbase is 95% PK."

Couldn't have said it better.

Oh well... a game like that would take all my money. 

I'm sorry but I can't sympathize with people who say they were "robbed" by gaming companies. If you preorder a game you're taking a risk. They didn't rob you, you gave them your money. EVERY game gets hyped before the release, not every game is good. 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927

I'm sorry but I can't sympathize with people who say they were "robbed" by gaming companies. If you preorder a game you're taking a risk. They didn't rob you, you gave them your money. EVERY game gets hyped before the release, not every game is good. 

You must not know the specifics about what happened with this company.  There are other threads to be read on the subject so I won't get into it.  Suffice to say, what they did was far and beyond simply releasing a bad game...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Eve's player base within the first few years wasn't much better. Comparing a game that has been in development for more than twice as long as MO isn't exactly fair. If they defrauded customers there should be legal proceedings, and as far as I know that hasn't happened. I'm not saying starvault is perfect and fine, I'm saying if you don't like a game you don't have to play it or comment on the boards about how it's shitty. Obviously some people like it or you would have 0 players at a gathering instead of 104. 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927

Eve's player base within the first few years wasn't much better. Comparing a game that has been in development for more than twice as long as MO isn't exactly fair. If they defrauded customers there should be legal proceedings, and as far as I know that hasn't happened. I'm not saying starvault is perfect and fine, I'm saying if you don't like a game you don't have to play it or comment on the boards about how it's shitty. Obviously some people like it or you would have 0 players at a gathering instead of 104. 

You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.  Eve launched in Mid 2003.   Here is a Press Release from Sept 2005 : http://www.eveonline.com/pressreleases/default.asp?pressReleaseID=15 

Note this part: REYKJAVIK, ICELAND – September 22, 2005 – CCP Games, an independent developer and publisher of massively multiplayer online games, announced today that since the immensely successful launch of “EVE Online: Cold War Edition,” the game has surpassed the 15,000 peak concurrent user record and smashed through the 70,000 active subscriber mark. This is a remarkable milestone for EVE Online considering the industry-wide decrease in MMOG subscriber numbers due to the impact of big-name entries into the genre.

So please.. to compare a game that had 15000 concurrent users and 70,000 subs after 2 years to a game that has 104 people in a teamspeak server after a year and a half is just absolutely and utterly absurd.

As for your part about legal procedings.  Plenty of folks pursued the options open to them through their credit card companies to get their money back. And at least in my own case, the money was returned with interest :-)

So lets try and stick to facts when possible.

Edited to add:

Here is an even BETTER Press Release from EVE: http://www.ccpgames.com/en/public-relations/press-releases/article/2249/eve-online-exodus-released-worldwide-on-november-17th 

EVE Online is now one of the fastest growing massively multiplayer online games. In the last 12 months subscriber numbers have more than doubled to 54,000. 

That is a shorter time after release than Mortal is now... and they had 54,000 subs already... so again, please stick to the facts.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

As for your part about legal procedings.  Plenty of folks pursued the options open to them through their credit card companies to get their money back. And at least in my own case, the money was returned with interest :-)

So lets try and stick to facts when possible.

Edited to add:

Here is an even BETTER Press Release from EVE: http://www.ccpgames.com/en/public-relations/press-releases/article/2249/eve-online-exodus-released-worldwide-on-november-17th 

EVE Online is now one of the fastest growing massively multiplayer online games. In the last 12 months subscriber numbers have more than doubled to 54,000. 

That is a shorter time after release than Mortal is now... and they had 54,000 subs already... so again, please stick to the facts.

Chargebacks don't prove wrongdoing. Didn't realize eve blew up that fast though. got me there.

• RainBringerRainBringer Member Posts: 150

....?

Oh Im sorry, I never would have guessed that you being Henrick's Swedish to English translation spellchecker would have to endure the trouble of not understanding a bit of mild metaphorical euphemism.

If you want a more precise explanation of the quoted text then I meant to say:

Comparing dismal numbers from one failing game to abysal ones from another in the genre of games that is called MMORPGs, where they very first M stands for MASSIVE, is a very Very poorly thought out defence.

I hope you get it now Starvault's GM Theia. If not then I can use google translate to convert it into broken swedish and have Henrick translate it into english jargon which you can then spellcheck and get the basic gist of, but I pray that we wont have to resort to such desperate measures.

@wabben77: No man, I dont mean failure to deliver promised features in a preorder disk. These people at SV, delivered 'beta-disks' that not only failed to deliver promised features, it did not deliver Anything. The "game disk" would just prompt you to download the entire damn thing from the net and as such was more useless than empty disks or even coasters missing a central hole. Then there was the issue concerning how they set all the people who preordered to get auto billed without their consent (using CC info taken while charging for the 'beta-disks') MONTHS after the disks were delivered. Most people had forgotten about the poor POS that was MO by then and many who did not scan CC statements diligently ended up getting charged every month before they noticed, if they ever did. Then there was the issue with multicharges right before SV quarterlies were to come out, missing options to unregister from MO and all of this is JUST the BS this company has sold out without even touching on any "hype and preorder features" like you are mistaken. 

These guys have literally robbed people and I am not in the least possible sense referring to game hype or whatever you think goes on with any shoddy but legit game. The only reason you see no lawsuits galore against these people is because no one has filed one yet. I am not well versed in laws of their country but for anyone to file a suit (class action or otherwise) from any country outside Sweden would involve anything from hiring a licensed Swedish lawyer, travelling requirements in case of giving out testimony in Sweden and anything else that might require the plaintiff to shell out more cash than what SV robbed them off. 

Besides who would want to sue a company that is on the red line for going broke? Suing Henrick would only end up with investors taking a fall for ever trusting this "indie" joke of a company. But you cant say, maybe someone somewhere might still take this company to task, its just that it hasnt happened...yet.

Not going to detrail this topic further, but have you ever considered the possibiity that 104 players attended this event not because they might like it but because they are desperate to see some changes in MO or are hoping to see if the devs/GMs/CEO answer few of the most asked community questions which they have always dodged in the past or are simply addicted to MO beyond reasoning that the word "likes" fail to signify?

Whatever their reasons must have been, for only 104 people to attend such an event after this MMORPG sold boxes more or less in the 10k mark, is a standing testament to the rubbish the players have had to endure nearly 2 years after "preordering into the hype".

....?

Oh Im sorry, I never would have guessed that you being Henrick's Swedish to English translation spellchecker would have to endure the trouble of not understanding a bit of mild metaphorical euphemism.

Comparing dismal numbers from one failing game to abysal ones from another in the genre of games that is called MMORPGs, where they very first M stands for MASSIVE, is a very Very poorly thought out defence.

I hope you get it now Starvault's GM Theia. If not then I can use google translate to convert it into broken swedish and have Henrick translate it into english jargon which you can then spellcheck and get the basic gist of, but I pray that we wont have to resort to such desperate measures.

@wabben77: No man, I dont mean failure to deliver promised features in a preorder disk. These people at SV, delivered 'beta-disks' that not only failed to deliver promised features, it did not deliver Anything. The "game disk" would just prompt you to download the entire damn thing from the net and as such was more useless than empty disks or even coasters missing a central hole. Then there was the issue concerning how they set all the people who preordered to get auto billed without their consent (using CC info taken while charging for the 'beta-disks') MONTHS after the disks were delivered. Most people had forgotten about the poor POS that was MO by then and many who did not scan CC statements diligently ended up getting charged every month before they noticed, if they ever did. Then there was the issue with multicharges right before SV quarterlies were to come out, missing options to unregister from MO and all of this is JUST the BS this company has sold out without even touching on any "hype and preorder features" like you are mistaken. 

These guys have literally robbed people and I am not in the least possible sense referring to game hype or whatever you think goes on with any shoddy but legit game. The only reason you see no lawsuits galore against these people is because no one has filed one yet. I am not well versed in laws of their country but for anyone to file a suit (class action or otherwise) from any country outside Sweden would involve anything from hiring a licensed Swedish lawyer, travelling requirements in case of giving out testimony in Sweden and anything else that might require the plaintiff to shell out more cash than what SV robbed them off. 

Besides who would want to sue a company that is on the red line for going broke? Suing Henrick would only end up with investors taking a fall for ever trusting this "indie" joke of a company. But you cant say, maybe someone somewhere might still take this company to task, its just that it hasnt happened...yet.

Not going to detrail this topic further, but have you ever considered the possibiity that 104 players attended this event not because they might like it but because they are desperate to see some changes in MO or are hoping to see if the devs/GMs/CEO answer few of the most asked community questions which they have always dodged in the past or are simply addicted to MO beyond reasoning that the word "likes" fail to signify?

Whatever their reasons must have been, for only 104 people to attend such an event after this MMORPG sold boxes more or less in the 10k mark, is a standing testament to the rubbish the players have had to endure nearly 2 years after "preordering into the hype".

Esentially the community pressured SV into sending out the discs beofre they were ready and stupidly SV obliged which resulted in discs that were outdated by the time they arived, a month later players could finally run the installation from the discs but for that first month they had to use the DL client like everyone else.

SV sent out emails to all paying customers at the start of the free mnoth stating that auto billing would commence at the end of the mnoth and they would have to cancel their sub to avoid payment. A poor decision on SV's part imo. Those who do nt read emails or do not check them regularly (within a month) were billed unknowingly if they had no plans to continue with MO.

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

....?

Your "metaphorical euphemism" makes no sense (this coming from a native english speaker whos a college English Major). And making fun of foreign person because they don't undertand your incorrect "metaphorical euphemism" is pathetic.

Also whats up with all the personal attacks on GM Theia? I think it's awesome a GM visits these boards and isn't affraid of being confronted by the hoards of unhappy people. Sure he's a bit biased but aren't we all? He has just as much right to come here as any of us and help defend the game.