Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Future of the Old Republic

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Star Wars: The Old Republic has taken the MMO gaming world by storm over the last month. We had the opportunity to chat with Game Director James Ohlen about what the team has planned for the future for SWTOR. Check out our exclusive interview and then let us know what you think in the comments.

James started off by saying that launch went well and was smoother than they expected. They have now gotten queue lines under control. They are also focused on the population across game levels to keep track of how many players are hitting end game early. The team has been using their maintenance window to fix bugs in weekly patches and have been successful in cleaning some of the problems early on. One of the great things James pointed out is that the average play time per player remains very high. Bioware is excited about this because it measures player retention and give them some accurate metrics to go over.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Star Wars: The Old Republic - The Future of the Old Republic.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Oh look at that is that High Textures being used in press packs again.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Low rez pics or it didn't happen. :D

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

The Future of the Old Republic is that the Sith ultimately lose big time.  So people are joining the LOSING side voluntarily.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

whole lot of nothing

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

good read. Sorry for the positive reply,  I know it's out of context here.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Already moved on, I was very disappointed by this game overall and now feel a sucker for buying the CE :(

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Lucky enough to fill out a survey? I don't think that's a thing.

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155

Just next fanboys game. I already canceled subs, my friend who started play with me canceled and my brother will probably to cancel subs. It's not hate or something, just the game has nothing new to keep you play. My opinion. It's probably first class 1 MMORPG, where I haven't situation like "wow, this is so nice place and so nice music, very atmosferic, butifull design" You know what I mean? When you did enter some new area and you just stying stuned and looking at that beauty. Don't belieave I will ever subsribe.

• StruggsStruggs Member Posts: 205

Good information. Excited to play the game as it grows and evolves. Hopefully the continue with adding content and are as focused on the long haul as they seem to imply.

imageimage

• VandragoVandrago Member UncommonPosts: 230

Why are they advertising with hi res textures, but we can't play using them? At highest settings the game doesnt look like that.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I guess because it is a non-vital problem at the bottom of of a long list of vital problems... But i am sure you can make a claim with the BBB or your credit card company and get a refund if you really really work for it... If not do like the rest of the world and chill a bit, it will come when it comes.

This have been a good conversation

• boubhsboubhs Member Posts: 73

Already left the game. BB SWTOR :)

• JounarJounar Member UncommonPosts: 142

Sorry but "It will come when it comes" is not good enough when the game was and continues to be marketed in a way that does not resemble the retail product consumers paid for.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

i <3 potatos....and Tor

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• ooblaoobla Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by convict

Why are they advertising with hi res textures, but we can't play using them? At highest settings the game doesnt look like that.

Do you mean the screenshots ? I'm playing it highest settings on a decent monitor what I'm seeing looks exactly like whats pictured in them . If so I can only assume you've not played it on highest settings or not played it at all .

• slickieslickie Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by oobla

Originally posted by convict

Do you mean the screenshots ? I'm playing it highest settings on a decent monitor what I'm seeing looks exactly like whats pictured in them . If so I can only assume you've not played it on highest settings or not played it at all .

It is impossible that you are playing with the high-resolution texture pack, because it is not available to players outside of cutscenes.

• VandragoVandrago Member UncommonPosts: 230

Actually, I bought 5 copies, and play on the highest setting there is, and no, your game does not look like that.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=164481

"James also said that fixing the short term bugs very quickly is rewarding for the team. Overall, he wants the “fans to trust us” in delivering the best experience."

You know when someone just gets caught telling their customers one of the biggest lies a day after trying to place the blame on people's computers, this quote just stands out like a big in your face comment. I don't hate or love this game, but EA and bioware are making it hard to not form an opinion quickly.

• spinesplitspinesplit Member Posts: 115

I was enjoying the story side of swtor but i only really want to pvp and the lag when letting off skills is terrible in pvp for some reason. I will be leaving the game because of this because the rest doesnt appeal to me that much and i would rather pay a sub for another game.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Good to hear new content coming. I'm not cancelling, nor are the 2 coworkers who play, and my 5 friends who play. All of us are enjoying the heck out of SWTOR. I don't feel like a sucker because I bought the CE. In fact, even the "Extended" circle of people I know in game (new guildmates, friends of my friends, etc), no one is cancelling...

Originally posted by eric_w66

Good to hear new content coming. I'm not cancelling, nor are the 2 coworkers who play, and my 5 friends who play. All of us are enjoying the heck out of SWTOR. I don't feel like a sucker because I bought the CE. In fact, even the "Extended" circle of people I know in game (new guildmates, friends of my friends, etc), no one is cancelling...

thats great, but its easy to counter that by saying, that almost the entire SWTOR group on my ventrillo server cancelled last night. 15 out of 19. 2 weren't online and the other 2 had 3 month subs.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

All looks good, but their classes are not balanced for PvP.  You have Jedi Sentinel/Marauder who even have a blurb quoting something like 'nothing in the galaxy can match their damage', yet they are out dps'ed by over half the classes, have almost no CC, almost no CC breaks or defense, and are more squishy than almost any other class in the game.

Then you have the Scoundrel/Agent rogue type that can also heal, and instead of normal MMO's where a rogue avoids a tank they can stun and kill any tank in the game in 7-12 seconds without the tank being able to move and the cooldowns are not long at all.

Then you have the Sorceror/Sage who can outheal and dps down almost any class in the game, has numerous CC's and CC breaks, and a shield that lets them out tank almost any tank in PvP.

They have a serious lack of balance with classes, yet they say they have all the numbers showing balance and these tiny tweaks they mentioned will bring things in line?  That is total BS.  It is just quite unbalanced now.  We will see how it goes, but rolling some classes right now will make for a rough road while others are easy mode from 1-50. 

Right now every healing class is pretty OP, and when you run into premades or groups with a large number of healers it is game over. 

I guess if they want 90% of their population to be rolling with healers on PvP servers then they are right in line with their idea of balance.

Originally posted by Bunks

thats great, but its easy to counter that by saying, that almost the entire SWTOR group on my ventrillo server cancelled last night. 15 out of 19. 2 weren't online and the other 2 had 3 month subs.

Heh, did they "cancel"? Or did they really cancel. And what MMORPG is your ventrilo server moving to that is going to rock? If there's a better option, share it with us. Or is it back to MW3?

Originally posted by Bunks

Heh, did they "cancel"? Or did they really cancel. And what MMORPG is your ventrilo server moving to that is going to rock? If there's a better option, share it with us. Or is it back to MW3?

No they actually cancelled, as in deleted all info and stopped playing.

Maybe this is foreign to some, but our group is a band of players from all gaming sets. We have 45 members who at one time or another played a common game. For example, Operation Flashpoint was our first, which is why 25 of us are ex-military. Some are going back to Rift (3 I think), some back to WOW (most) and the rest are going to play more of what we all play already. Skyrim, Evachron Mercernaries, Battlestar Galactica Online, and some even want to retry EQ2 and STO.

but they all share one theme, EA and BW are liars and scammers. The chat got so ugly, I had to log off before 9pm.

So it's back to WoW and the pandas, got it ;)