Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game reviewers - busted! (Thanks Bioware)

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by m0lly

on a same side with OP and people who are defending the graphics just dont really care graphics aslong they can keep continue running their siths and jedis around picture stunning world and what i mean picture thats how i see when i play, depth is missing not to mention the bloky shadows. 

I believe how we interact with the game can make a HUGE difference. Its the difference between playing chess in a prision cell compared to a nice room with a burning fireplace with a n*ked woman walking around serving you drinks. it DOES matter.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by ShakyMo

What i find funny on this thread

lots of people calling out games reviewers saying these aren't crysis like graffics, how dare they give it 8/10 for graffics

when in fact the graffics are good by mmo standards, not the best that would be Conan so far, but good all the same.

BUT

Not one person is calling the reviewers over not noticing the massive great elephant in the room - ITS A GREAT RPG BUT ITS A POOR MMO

Most people simply don't care, and have a great time because it's a great RPG with solid graphics.

They could care less if there's some meaningless conspiracy theory about review scores vs. graphics (because the graphics are fine) and care even less about whether it's a "One True MMORPG" because the RPG gameplay is fine.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by m0lly

on a same side with OP and people who are defending the graphics just dont really care graphics aslong they can keep continue running their siths and jedis around picture stunning world and what i mean picture thats how i see when i play, depth is missing not to mention the bloky shadows. 

This is completely ridiculous.  Everyone cares about the look of a game.

But to have extreme concerns about graphics quality, one can't help but say "It's the wrong genre for you, bud" and recommend a good looking FPS (or possibly Skyrim.)

If you want to push graphical boundaries, MMOs aren't where you're going to find that.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

I would be ok with less-than-average graphics if the game ran smoothly.

But it runs like crap whether it's on high or low settings so not sure how anyone would defend Bioware on this.

and no its not my system 

• boubhsboubhs Member Posts: 73

nice post. i guess those experts must feel very proud about their score...

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

But it runs like crap whether it's on high or low settings so not sure how anyone would defend Bioware on this.

and no its not my system 

Define "runs like crap".

I use a 2 year old laptop with 6gig of memory and 1 gig of vidmem. I have to set the graphics on "low" or I suffer a performance hit. On low; however, I have no issues at all.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

and no its not my system 

beleive it , its probaly your system, because i am having no proboem

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

and no its not my system 

Define "runs like crap".

I use a 2 year old laptop with 6gig of memory and 1 gig of vidmem. I have to set the graphics on "low" or I suffer a performance hit. On low; however, I have no issues at all.

what 2 year old laptop has 6gb ram and 1gb vram?

just asking since id like to buy that one.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Hard to believe a game in 2012 done by Bioware & so expensive can come out in low res.....

I jus´t don´t understand..... shame :(

• StSynnerStSynner Member Posts: 123

The computer I have was used to play AION and BF3... 2 of the most visually appealing multi-player games in recent history... on the highest settings with zero performance issues.

...and yet TOR runs like piss with more than a handful of people in the same area as my character. ...and it LOOKS horrible.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by AdamTM

and no its not my system 

Define "runs like crap".

Belive-it-or-not, it's an HP that I bought at Wal-Mart. 1K$ rig at the time. I needed to be more portable these days, so I had to forego building a new desktop. I was kinda bummed when I bought it, the display unit had a bluray player and 3 gig of mem with 512 vidmem, but the "new version" that was in stock had a regular DVD and 6Gb mem with 1Gb vidmem. The mem is nice, but I wanted the bluray drive.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by StSynner

The computer I have was used to play AION and BF3... 2 of the most visually appealing multi-player games in recent history... on the highest settings with zero performance issues.

...and yet TOR runs like piss with more than a handful of people in the same area as my character. ...and it LOOKS horrible.

I am starting think, when it comes to performance issues in SWTOR, its a problem with system configuration. The reason why I say that is I can run AION, BF3 and SWTOR at its highest settings without a performance problem. 60fps or more at times.

The following is what I am using if you are interested..

AMD 965 x4 Black Edition 3.4 GHrz

1 EVGA GTX 460 - 1gig

RAM 4gig

Windows 64 bit Home

Gateway HDMI LCD monitor 1680 x 1050 resolution

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

and no its not my system 

Define "runs like crap".

Belive-it-or-not, it's an HP that I bought at Wal-Mart. 1K$ rig at the time. I needed to be more portable these days, so I had to forego building a new desktop. I was kinda bummed when I bought it, the display unit had a bluray player and 3 gig of mem with 512 vidmem, but the "new version" that was in stock had a regular DVD and 6Gb mem with 1Gb vidmem. The mem is nice, but I wanted the bluray drive.

HP Pavilion dv7t Select Edition?

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I'm going to go with the 'copy and paste' idea.

I read a few previews for swtor and found it a total waste of time as I read almost the exact same previews for sto and If i looked i could probably find them again for lotro.

P.S. sorry to get back on topic

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

The game was high-res in beta, all the time, not just in cutscenes.

No, it wasn't.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by Kost

No, it wasn't.

Actually there is some truth to that. In early beta they had tried high-res on everything, but there were to many issues, so they had to turn it off.

• StSynnerStSynner Member Posts: 123

Originally posted by Falcomith

Originally posted by StSynner

I am starting think, when it comes to performance issues in SWTOR, its a problem with system configuration. The reason why I say that is I can run AION, BF3 and SWTOR at its highest settings without a performance problem. 60fps or more at times.

The following is what I am using if you are interested..

AMD 965 x4 Black Edition 3.4 GHrz

1 EVGA GTX 460 - 1gig

RAM 4gig

Windows 64 bit Home

Gateway HDMI LCD monitor 1680 x 1050 resolution

I've heard people say this and had I not been experiencing it myself id probably say the same thing. ...but here's the catch...

I can play everything else... EVERYTHING. ELSE. ...perfectly. No FPS lag. No sputters when I'm near other players. All at the highest settings. This tells me that my system is good... and that it's the games server and my computers connection to that server that is the issue. And all this would be fine... if there was something that could be done about it. But there isnt... and i have tried... EVERYTHING.

*shrug*

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469
    Graphics aren't everything.

For example... I've seen the videos of Planetside 2 and those graphics don't compare to BF3. But, I'm also expecting massive battles involving hundreds of players - not 32 v 32 max.

Where is the benefit in TOR? We've still got tons of loading screens... many ambient-type features left out of the game... heavily instanced zones... and the list goes on and has been discussed in many places.

Where is the benefit for enduring the low-res textures? Instead of there being some great tradeoff... it sounds like Bioware is telling us the game wouldn't be playable with textures we'd expect!
  • Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

[Mod Edit]

I am having a great time with it. I have had lag moments, and even once crashed to character serve. Doesnt hamper my fun in any way.  I have a run of the mill PC with a 60 buck video card.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by Kost

No, it wasn't.

Yes.   There were high-res textures in the March/April beta.  It was an issue mentioned a LOT in beta forums and Bioware would not comment.  The textures weren't loading/rendering/whatever the right word is correctly... sometimes armor would look fantastic and then it would turn into something similar to a blur from Minecraft.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by fadis

Graphics aren't everything. For example... I've seen the videos of Planetside 2 and those graphics don't compare to BF3. But, I'm also expecting massive battles involving hundreds of players - not 32 v 32 max. Where is the benefit in TOR? We've still got tons of loading screens... many ambient-type features left out of the game... heavily instanced zones... and the list goes on and has been discussed in many places. Where is the benefit for enduring the low-res textures? Instead of there being some great tradeoff... it sounds like Bioware is telling us the game wouldn't be playable with textures we'd expect!

The level of detail in SW:TOR is.. a bit odd, i don't know what the problem is with the game engine that higher rezz textures became such a problem, hopefully they will address this in the future (or suffer the consequences!) WoW had to upgrade their graphics fairly drastically - and will probably have to do so again a bit sharpish imo... as for the PVP in SW:TOR, that isnt something it does all that well anyway, regardless of numbers - which are low whichever way you look at it.. when it comes to PVP i'll be opting for Planetside 2 when it comes out, because if its less than 200 its not worth it image

if you look at the various ME and DA games, one thing stands out, graphics are important, if Bioware want to keep retention rates at a decent level, they might want to give that issue a high priority.image

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

The truth really si staring us in the face - that these reviews are not honest because they are a marketing stunt very common in today's world. 

Reviews don't have to paid out to be bought anymore. A company like EA exerts a powerful sphere of influence and gaming publications want to have positive relationships with companies like BW/EA. Also, when EA gives these publications access to their games (pre-release), then it's most certainly a form of buying out reviews. 

To extend this further, EA can (and I'm sure does) control the reviewer's experience thus misleading potential buyers. 

Not surprising at all; just common sense and basic business savvy. 

I'm not sure how people can still argue about this. But then again, the saying about leading the donkey to the water but not being able to make him drink, exists for a reason. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Gyrus

[snip]

So these reviewers above completely missed the fact that the game was in Low Rez?

How did they do that?

I suspect that either they didn't play the game at all - and simply cut and pasted from developer journals and looked at a few screenshots OR maybe they played in Beta?

But what they obviously didn't do is play the retail release.

Yet according to the dates of their 'reviews' they were published after the retail release.

So, do their Editors know?  What were they supposed to be reviewing?

I sure hope those cheques haven't cleared.

As a gamer who looks to you guys in order to make good purchasing decisions - you guys are a waste of space.

[snip]

I just love the commentary by the obvious fanbots the ones you know that really just love that an IP for SW is out and aren't really outraged that they spent such large amounts of money on a polished turd. You know the ones i mean, they are right here in the same thread.

• "I really don't mind the blocky shadows and the poor graphics"

• "who cares if they didn't deliver it's star wars man"

• "i just want to play the game without thinking about how much i spent or whether i've been screwed over by a developer"

• "you have no life, made me laugh tho"

• "i dunno what you are talking about (puts on binocular size glasses) where are the graphic problems again? I don't see anything wrong"

not to forget the ones that actually attack the OP because he's pointing out that 1: LA,EA,Bioware screwed the customer and 2: the websites supposedly reviewing the game are ALL paid to say good things, i mean it's seriously obvious.

You OP definitely have a fantastic point, thanks for doing the research to prove your point and thanks for informing the community of not only a major fault with SWTOR but with the gaming websites/magazines giving these reviews.

You should make a youtube video pointing these things out.

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269

Sooooooooo BuStEd !!!!

/slaps BW on the wrist with ruler....

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

These threads are really getting tiresome.

I personally enjoy the graphics in TOR quite a bit... and it is perfectly reasonable that many reviewers may as well. It is not necessarily the polygon count or texture resolution that is important, but the style itself. To me (and many others) it looks great. End of story.

We get that some of you don't like it. That's fine... you are also a human being and are entitled to an opinion of your own. What I don't get is why you stick around on this forum trying to convince others that your opinion is gospel. IT ISN'T. Move on with your lives please...

This discussion has been closed.