Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The resurgence of Rift.

xpowderxxpowderx Radcliff, KYPosts: 2,131Member Uncommon

I must say, I as were some others worried about SWTOR. But alas my own fears are calmed now! Many of our players are or have come back. Servers are growing again. In fact on my server there is a freeze on new Defiants. Also have been noticing more new players!

 

This month is a exciting time! Rift is a GREAT game. I am glad for the resurgence of old and new players alike!

WELCOME BACK! and /or Welcome to RIFT!

 

WOOT! VERY HAPPY NOW!

«1

Comments

  • jonchicoinejonchicoine orlando, FLPosts: 77Member

    i played rfit for a month perhaps when it first came out... i liked it..

     

    i cancelled my swtor account and downloaded the free trial for rift... its great! the world feels so much more alive, and the classing system allows so much variation... can't remember why i left...

    i'll have to do a search and see what the critics don't like... seems awesome to me!

     

    jonathan

  • apocolusterapocoluster newport news, VAPosts: 1,321Member Uncommon

      I <3 rift..but alas I <3 Tor as well  :(

    No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

  • ZzadZzad Palma de MallorcaPosts: 1,332Member Uncommon

    I´m planning on going back to RIFT after i level my character to 50 in SWTOR too....

    I cannot imagine staying in swtor more than 2 months  :(

  • boubhsboubhs athensPosts: 73Member

    I played RIFT for about 6 months. I thought it was just a good game, before I play SWTOR (50lvl shadow). Now I think RIFT is a MASTERPIECE!!! So I’m quitting SWTOR and subbing again to RIFT. I hope more guys do the same because the game is so superior to SWTOR and deserves a second chance.

  • happydan20happydan20 Cedar Rapids, IAPosts: 260Member

    i think the steam sale had a lot to do with it, it got me hooked anyway.

  • tkoreapertkoreaper Castroville, TXPosts: 401Member Common

    I knew this was going to happen. Expect Rift's subscriber base to soar higher than at release within the next few months. People that left Rift for TOR will come back and I have a feeling that those that left other games to play TOR will take notice and come play Rift.

  • MithrandolirMithrandolir The Deep Woods, NJPosts: 1,698Member Uncommon

    For me, TOR was never even an option after playing the beta, but regardless... I loved Rift through beta and post launch, and I still love it today. It's strange, because I am a sandbox type of guy and for the most part themeparks don't do it for me (there are a few that I have really enjoyed though), but Rift... Rift remains one of my all time favorites.

     

  • teakboisteakbois Parlin, NJPosts: 2,154Member

    Originally posted by tkoreaper

    I knew this was going to happen. Expect Rift's subscriber base to soar higher than at release within the next few months. People that left Rift for TOR will come back and I have a feeling that those that left other games to play TOR will take notice and come play Rift.

    1.  The resurgence is only in Europe, not in NA, although the emrges will make it feel like there is one (a good thing)

    2.  You are dreaming if you think that Rifts population will get back to release levels.  I could see maybe november levels, but thats less than half of the release levels.

  • pedrostrikpedrostrik lisboaPosts: 391Member

    RIFT its the best mmo out there no doubts and far superior to KOTOR

  • boubhsboubhs athensPosts: 73Member

    Originally posted by pedrostrik

    RIFT its the best mmo out there no doubts and far superior to KOTOR

     

    +1

    19-22 is free for all. Check it to see yourself

  • Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 17,975Member Uncommon

    As I said before the launch (check my history if you don' believe me): TOR is not really a great competitor for Rift. TOr is mainly aiming on Bioware and Star wars fans, not to just steal people from Wow or Rift.

    Many of the Rift players prefer fantasy so it is rather likely that the games that do challenge Rift will be fantasy games as well, no sci-fi. TSW isn't really challenging Rift either.

    Guildwars 2 on the other hand is dangerous for Rift but it is hard to even guess how the game will be affected of GW2s release. If there is any game RiFT should fear during 2012 it is really GW2 (after that anything can happen).

    Rift is however a rather solid game and not that easy to take down, mostly because of how good Trion is with supporting and updating the game. But GW2 do have the potential to get all non raiders from the game if it delivers, yeah it wont take all but it will surely take some if not a lot.

    Someone wise once said: The future is like the butt of a baboon, colorful and full of sh**. It will be fun to see how things turns out, but I think Rift will stay around a long time no matter what.

  • UhwopUhwop Wilm, DEPosts: 1,663Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Loke666

    As I said before the launch (check my history if you don' believe me): TOR is not really a great competitor for Rift. TOr is mainly aiming on Bioware and Star wars fans, not to just steal people from Wow or Rift.

    Many of the Rift players prefer fantasy so it is rather likely that the games that do challenge Rift will be fantasy games as well, no sci-fi. TSW isn't really challenging Rift either.

    Guildwars 2 on the other hand is dangerous for Rift but it is hard to even guess how the game will be affected of GW2s release. If there is any game RiFT should fear during 2012 it is really GW2 (after that anything can happen).

    Rift is however a rather solid game and not that easy to take down, mostly because of how good Trion is with supporting and updating the game. But GW2 do have the potential to get all non raiders from the game if it delivers, yeah it wont take all but it will surely take some if not a lot.

    Someone wise once said: The future is like the butt of a baboon, colorful and full of sh**. It will be fun to see how things turns out, but I think Rift will stay around a long time no matter what.

    I can't see raiders from any game dropping what they're currently playing to go raid in GW2, and for many reasons.

    GW2 won't be sub based for starters; so it's not going to have the same impact as a game like ToR, TSW will probably effect subscription based MMO's more then GW2 will.

    Raiding in GW2 isn't going to be like raiding in Rift, WoW, or EQ2.  The game is based much less on gear, if at all, and I believe the instanced raid the game will release with is really just a 4 or 5 man dungeon.

    I don't think that GW2 is going to have any more of an impact on the rest of the genre anymore then the first one did.  It's still not a full fledged MMO, they're just making feel a little less loby based.   It's still going to be just as heavily instanced as GW was.

     

    I don't think ToR was the only culprit in pulling some people away from Rift, I also blame Skyrim.  Several guys from my guild have just started returning, and most of them weren't playing ToR, they were playing Skyrim.

     

    Edit:  I had an apparent misfire somewhere.  Not sure how I mistook non raiders for raiders.  Makes my responce pretty stupid.

  • LafinatuLafinatu Ft Hood, TXPosts: 48Member

    Originally posted by Loke666

    As I said before the launch (check my history if you don' believe me): TOR is not really a great competitor for Rift. TOr is mainly aiming on Bioware and Star wars fans, not to just steal people from Wow or Rift.

    Many of the Rift players prefer fantasy so it is rather likely that the games that do challenge Rift will be fantasy games as well, no sci-fi. TSW isn't really challenging Rift either.

    Guildwars 2 on the other hand is dangerous for Rift but it is hard to even guess how the game will be affected of GW2s release. If there is any game RiFT should fear during 2012 it is really GW2 (after that anything can happen).

    Rift is however a rather solid game and not that easy to take down, mostly because of how good Trion is with supporting and updating the game. But GW2 do have the potential to get all non raiders from the game if it delivers, yeah it wont take all but it will surely take some if not a lot.

    Someone wise once said: The future is like the butt of a baboon, colorful and full of sh**. It will be fun to see how things turns out, but I think Rift will stay around a long time no matter what.

     I don't think that GW2 will take all the non-raiders from the game although I believe it will definitely have an impact on the population at least for period of time.

    I have to agree with everything else.

    High Five FTW!

  • NewfrNewfr MoscowPosts: 130Member

    Originally posted by pedrostrik

    RIFT its the best mmo out there no doubts and far superior to KOTOR

    Don't mess "Knights of the Old Republic" - great single player RPG and "The Old Republic" - mediocre single player RPG with build-in Barrens chat (pretending to be MMORPG).

  • skulljoeskulljoe Rio Grande do SulPosts: 89Member

    Originally posted by Uhwop

     It's still going to be just as heavily instanced as GW was.

     

    Lolwhut?!?!

    O.o

     

    Where do you get your mmo infos?

     

  • Master10KMaster10K LondonPosts: 3,065Member

    Originally posted by Uhwop

    Originally posted by Loke666

    As I said before the launch (check my history if you don' believe me): TOR is not really a great competitor for Rift. TOr is mainly aiming on Bioware and Star wars fans, not to just steal people from Wow or Rift.

    Many of the Rift players prefer fantasy so it is rather likely that the games that do challenge Rift will be fantasy games as well, no sci-fi. TSW isn't really challenging Rift either.

    Guildwars 2 on the other hand is dangerous for Rift but it is hard to even guess how the game will be affected of GW2s release. If there is any game RiFT should fear during 2012 it is really GW2 (after that anything can happen).

    Rift is however a rather solid game and not that easy to take down, mostly because of how good Trion is with supporting and updating the game. But GW2 do have the potential to get all non raiders from the game if it delivers, yeah it wont take all but it will surely take some if not a lot.

    Someone wise once said: The future is like the butt of a baboon, colorful and full of sh**. It will be fun to see how things turns out, but I think Rift will stay around a long time no matter what.

    I can't see raiders from any game dropping what they're currently playing to go raid in GW2, and for many reasons.

    GW2 won't be sub based for starters; so it's not going to have the same impact as a game like ToR, TSW will probably effect subscription based MMO's more then GW2 will.

    Raiding in GW2 isn't going to be like raiding in Rift, WoW, or EQ2.  The game is based much less on gear, if at all, and I believe the instanced raid the game will release with is really just a 4 or 5 man dungeon.

    I don't think that GW2 is going to have any more of an impact on the rest of the genre anymore then the first one did.  It's still not a full fledged MMO, they're just making feel a little less loby based.   It's still going to be just as heavily instanced as GW was.

     

    I don't think ToR was the only culprit in pulling some people away from Rift, I also blame Skyrim.  Several guys from my guild have just started returning, and most of them weren't playing ToR, they were playing Skyrim.

     

    Edit:  I had an apparent misfire somewhere.  Not sure how I mistook non raiders for raiders.  Makes my responce pretty stupid.

    I'm afraid you have trouble reading because Loke specifically said that GW2 has the potential to take all the NON-RAIDERS from Rift. No one is  saying that the hardcore raiders will drop Rift for a game that won't appeal to hardcore raiders, just you have failed to even read the comment you're posting.

     

    Also what does Guild Wars 2 lack to not make it a fully-fledged MMO, because I fail to see what could give you that idea? Unless you're just one of those troll pulling crap out of his/her arse and calling it anything but useless sh*t. Eitherway, if I'm able to do levelling content with over 100 people and take part in PvP battles in a persistent zone that can hold upto 2,000 people; then I'm calling it an MMO.

     

    As for this "so-called" resurgence of Rift, I'll have to wait and see, because the main reason I left was when the communities on my 2 servers died.

    image

  • teakboisteakbois Parlin, NJPosts: 2,154Member

    Originally posted by pedrostrik

    RIFT its the best mmo out there no doubts

    If there was 'no doubts' there would sure be a lot more playing it.  Like how Vanguard is ths supposedly great MMORPG that no one plays/played even while it was being worked on at a decent pace.

  • Z3R01Z3R01 NYC, NYPosts: 2,426Member

    Trion just slashed the hell out of the games sub fee. 

    1 year of Rift is only 99 bucks now.

    This is probably why you are seeing a surge in players.

    RIFT is a nice game but its getting hurt by TOR and will be hurt even more once games like GW2 and Secret World Release.

    Playing:

    Waiting on:


  • Originally posted by Z3R01

    Trion just slashed the hell out of the games sub fee. 

    1 year of Rift is only 99 bucks now.

    This is probably why you are seeing a surge in players.

    RIFT is a nice game but its getting hurt by TOR and will be hurt even more once games like GW2 and Secret World Release.

    my guild only lost one player to swtor, and all the guilds i've talked with on two different shards lost about the same amount of members. some zero, some up to two. no guild i've talked with yet has lost more then that. but that's just what i saw and it could be different on different servers. oh the other hand though, most people i talk with are all stoked for GW2.

  • smh_alotsmh_alot Area 51Posts: 976Member
    From what I could discern, they lost something like 30-35% from what they had around the beginning of December up to now. Whether that's temporary is hard to say, but seeing the overall consistent decreasing line over the months even when there was nowhere near any competition around, I have to wonder whether the upcoming MMO's aren't merely added dips to an already ongoing gradual decrease.
  • PsyMike3dPsyMike3d AthensPosts: 388Member Uncommon

    i hope they will release more areas with the atmosphere,style and feeling of Gloamwood... i quited Rift cause after gloamwood the game became again boring for me... i know its the best MMO atm in the market, but really i need a good reason for playing it again instead waiting for GW2.

  • pierthpierth San Antonio, TXPosts: 1,503Member

    Rift isn't all that great as a MMORPG but it's definitely better than TOR on both the "massively" as well as the "multiplayer" parts- while playing Rift is the same as playing any other wow-inspired themepark MMORPG Trion busts its balls putting out new (if only copypasta with palette swaps) content and bug fixes faster than any other game I know of, making it the standard themepark choice against WoW. TOR is really just a game for players that prefer solo play only.

  • smh_alotsmh_alot Area 51Posts: 976Member
    Originally posted by pierth

    Rift isn't all that great as a MMORPG but it's definitely better than TOR on both the "massively" as well as the "multiplayer" parts- while playing Rift is the same as playing any other wow-inspired themepark MMORPG Trion busts its balls putting out new (if only copypasta with palette swaps) content and bug fixes faster than any other game I know of, making it the standard themepark choice against WoW. TOR is really just a game for players that prefer solo play only.

     

    It's all subjective. I mean, I kind of get how you single out TOR bc you see it as the current biggest threat to Rift, but each have their areas in which they excel and others where they just don't. For example, I found Rift's world not 'massive' at all, but disappointingly tiny, compared to what I prefer in an MMORPG. I doubt whether Rift's whole world is any larger than Outland or Northrend or half of Kalimdor or EK, even the zones are smaller than most WoW zones, and there's only like 10 or so for Rift's entire world. Comparing the 2 main cities in Rift with the cities in most other MMO's makes it even look and feel tinier. But that's a personal preference, I just like more world to explore in an MMORPG. That's why I like MMO's like SWTOR, LotrO, EQ and AC in that regard.
  • Master10KMaster10K LondonPosts: 3,065Member

    Originally posted by smh_alot

    *snip*
    It's all subjective. I mean, I kind of get how you single out TOR bc you see it as the current biggest threat to Rift, but each have their areas in which they excel and others where they just don't. For example, I found Rift's world not 'massive' at all, but disappointingly tiny, compared to what I prefer in an MMORPG. I doubt whether Rift's whole world is any larger than Outland or Northrend or half of Kalimdor or EK, even the zones are smaller than most WoW zones, and there's only like 10 or so for Rift's entire world. Comparing the 2 main cities in Rift with the cities in most other MMO's makes it even look and feel tinier. But that's a personal preference, I just like more world to explore in an MMORPG. That's why I like MMO's like SWTOR, LotrO, EQ and AC in that regard.

    Yeah, I wished the cities in Rift were a bit more vast and interesting, like this one, because the cities are pretty much where all the lvl 50s hang out and yet they are both so small and featureless. Heck, they could even add a basement to the Sanctum and stick a mini-game down there or something.

    image

  • PuremallacePuremallace Phoenix, AZPosts: 1,856Member

    Originally posted by Master10K

    Yeah, I wished the cities in Rift were a bit more vast and interesting, like this one, because the cities are pretty much where all the lvl 50s hang out and yet they are both so small and featureless. Heck, they could even add a basement to the Sanctum and stick a mini-game down there or something.

    I don't want multiple cities that big because you end up with more people afk'n then in the open world. GW2 is built on that and they need to accomplish what Rift is trying to do.

     

    I feel like I am playign a mmo when we are ina  big group going after something. Rift just gave me that feeling in Ember where the raids for defiant and guardian where all going after the same goal like 100 people just rushing around.

     

    Anyways that video is just sex and B2P that game is beyond dangerous and you are fool to not think it will just wtfpwn the market.

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.