Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what swtor caters to.

Well for this past week, my dad loves it!! haha hes getting the 6 month subs so are my co workers at work. I told them about how awesome swtor is since last tuesday, and they are hooked. As word of mouth spreads, i think they will increase more subscriptions for bioware. My aunt, cousin has been playing alot of swtor. They came from wow, and they have canceled their wow subscriptions for swtor. 

Swtor is for casual mmoplayers, and its not meant for long time mmorpg players it seems to me. Christ my dad just watches star wars movie all the time hes a star wars fanatic, he even has a whole collection of star wars items in his room. Hopefully the word of mouth spreads across in real life and internet ab out swtor, the better swtor seems to be catering to the right players. New players, or next gen mmo players Post wow era. 

swtor's future is bright, and there is hope that swtor will make tons of money.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

No doubt the force has a very strong appeal, and it will do fine financially for many years to come. Won't change the fact many won't like it, but same was true for WOW and they never seemed to have any cash flow options.

But as I learned from Rift, you may come to regret 6 month subs if the content runs out in about 3.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

That's great man :) *jealous is*

My father would turn around in his chair at the first loading screen and ask me whether this really is what I spend all my free time on, then stand up and walk off to do something incredibly constructive and worthwhile leaving me with a strong feeling of misplaced guilt.

V_V

• DracillDracill Member UncommonPosts: 158
    @Darkpony: I fully understand the feeling my wife does the same. She tell me something like: shouldn't you be working in your thesis?
  • GylfiGylfi Member UncommonPosts: 708

Ok so TOR is casual entertainment and yet takes a lot of your time. You don't learn shit from tor about anything.

Doesn't this make what wives and parents say completely true? That you're wasting your time like a mule?

While for example in a simulated economy like in EVE you learn shitloads about real economy and trading, which you'll exploit in your r/l ? (like i do meddling in stocks and crap)

It's terrible cause it's like reading the dumbest novel or comic book, it's pure junk.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Originally posted by Gylfi

Ok so TOR is casual entertainment and yet takes a lot of your time. You don't learn shit from tor about anything.

Doesn't this make what wives and parents say completely true? That you're wasting your time like a mule?

While for example in a simulated economy like in EVE you learn shitloads about real economy and trading, which you'll exploit in your r/l ?

It's terrible cause it's like reading the dumbest novel or comic book, it's pure junk.

The only thing I learned from Eve was how to create a Ponzi scheme. I don't think I'll put that to use IRL.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

While for example in a simulated economy like in EVE you learn shitloads about real economy and trading, which you'll exploit in your r/l ?

The only thing I learned from Eve was how to create a Ponzi scheme. I don't think I'll put that to use IRL.

I only learned not to **** with Russians in EVE V_V

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Originally posted by Starwars001

Well for this past week, my dad loves it!! haha hes getting the 6 month subs so are my co workers at work. I told them about how awesome swtor is since last tuesday, and they are hooked. As word of mouth spreads, i think they will increase more subscriptions for bioware. My aunt, cousin has been playing alot of swtor. They came from wow, and they have canceled their wow subscriptions for swtor. 

Swtor is for casual mmoplayers, and its not meant for long time mmorpg players it seems to me. Christ my dad just watches star wars movie all the time hes a star wars fanatic, he even has a whole collection of star wars items in his room. Hopefully the word of mouth spreads across in real life and internet ab out swtor, the better swtor seems to be catering to the right players. New players, or next gen mmo players Post wow era. 

swtor's future is bright, and there is hope that swtor will make tons of money.

Good post.  I personally know at least 5 people who have bought SWTOR that never played an MMO before.

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256

I think Bioware knows what they're doing. Stealing the casual crowd isn't a bad decision at all, but of course that's going to make the "hardcore" crowd squeel like little girls and they sure are loud squeelers...

• DracillDracill Member UncommonPosts: 158
    @Gylfi: If you really believe you are learning anything useful playing EVE you are really naive. If you play EVE you only learn about EVE economy that is nothing like real world economy. That's the reason those CEO of megacorps in EVE aren't real life entrepreneurs.
  • vlad1500vlad1500 Member UncommonPosts: 24

[mod edit]

As i am seriously considering just subbing for swtor while i wait. been watching a lot of vids, reading a lot of posts about swtor. Its really just looks like a sci-fi wow clone. both with really bad graphics. The only thing that sets it apart from wow is that it has a great story. Which you could get better story playing a singleplayer game. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by DarkPony

That's great man :) *jealous is*

My father would turn around in his chair at the first loading screen and ask me whether this really is what I spend all my free time on, then stand up and walk off to do something incredibly constructive and worthwhile leaving me with a strong feeling of misplaced guilt.

V_V

lol, that would also be the reaction from most of my friends.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Dracill

@Gylfi: If you really believe you are learning anything useful playing EVE you are really naive. If you play EVE you only learn about EVE economy that is nothing like real world economy. That's the reason those CEO of megacorps in EVE aren't real life entrepreneurs.

But afaik CCP bought non-vgames related companies, doesn't this make 'em that?

In anycase to me casual entertainment is brainkiller. A tool of control. They put us to sleep so we don't wonder about humanity's problems playing online simulations. ONline simulations are alienated mirrors of reality, a dangerous way to reflect impassionately about how much capitalism sucks :)

hold on.... hold on... i hear tapping at my door... hisses and whispers from the walls.

....c4ll 4 hel@%^&

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

While for example in a simulated economy like in EVE you learn shitloads about real economy and trading, which you'll exploit in your r/l ? (like i do meddling in stocks and crap)

bahaha! Either funniest post ever or the saddest depending on whether you actually believe what you just wrote, and it might be both.  Not sure the last article I read about an EVE fanatic earning a living on the stock market off what he learned on EVE.

In anycase to me casual entertainment is brainkiller. A tool of control. They put us to sleep so we don't wonder about humanity's problems playing online simulations. ONline simulations are alienated mirrors of reality, a dangerous way to reflect impassionately about how much capitalism sucks :)

hold on.... hold on... i hear tapping at my door... hisses and whispers from the walls.

....c4ll 4 hel@%^&

So EVE isn't an online simulation?  It really sounds like you've been playing EVE waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long, dude.  You should get up and answer that door because you need to see the real world.

And no, waiting for the fabled "walk around the space dock" patch is not what I'm talking about.

• AzorithAzorith Member UncommonPosts: 188

Originally posted by Kyleran

No doubt the force has a very strong appeal, and it will do fine financially for many years to come. Won't change the fact many won't like it, but same was true for WOW and they never seemed to have any cash flow options.

But as I learned from Rift, you may come to regret 6 month subs if the content runs out in about 3.

It's a good thing this is an MMO, then. With an entire team still focused on developement. You have engaging storylines for 8 different classes, each one having about a month of playtime to level 50. Then you can treat the game like a regular MMO, PvP grind, world boss farming, datacron hunting, color crystal hunting, instances, operations, Hard mode instances, space battles..

all of those things have dailies, as an old  hardcore gamer now casual, I don't even have the time to do all of that in a week let alone a day.

Bioware has some huge changes/updates planned for space battles and guilds, as well.

Originally posted by onehunerdper

....c4ll 4 hel@%^&

So EVE isn't an online simulation?  It really sounds like you've been playing EVE waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long, dude.  You should get up and answer that door because you need to see the real world.

And no, waiting for the fabled "walk around the space dock" patch is not what I'm talking about.

Never played EVE :)

A simulation will always have you learn something real. Duh, it says it in its name.

A themepark like TOR can only teach you how lazy and braindead you are.

We can say an online(fantasy, medieval, postmodern) simulation is the blue pill, it opens your perception, themepark is the red pill, puts you to sleep.

Sorry i have to go dark people are abducting me for trying to wake you "people" up.

....c4ll 4 hel@%^&

A simulation will always have you learn something real. Duh, it says it in its name.

Sorry i have to go dark people are abducting me.

All entertainment, yes that includes mainstream gaming simulations, are nothing more than ways to feed your laziness.  I mean geez man I landed a spaceship at NASA my first try when I was 11 years old.

And seriously if you've never played EVE then I don't even know why you said anything to begin with, looks to me like you're just a troll looking for attention by posting nonsensical jargon that you read in some book made by other people who are just like you.  You're worse than the guys you're pratteling on about because you're telling them how sad they are for playing an entertaining game by giving them, what you think is intelligent, information about how they should be playing EVE because of it's real world applications and yet you've never even played the game to know how it actually works, making your entire comment  a complete waste of your time because instead of posting comments about things you know nothing about, you could be reading a book to learn something that could help the real world.

So we'll stick to our entertaining and exciting games we play and I guess you can stick to telling us how we're wasting our lives while you spend yours doing even less.

Originally posted by Azorith

It's a good thing this is an MMO, then. With an entire team still focused on developement. You have engaging storylines for 8 different classes, each one having about a month of playtime to level 50. Then you can treat the game like a regular MMO, PvP grind, world boss farming, datacron hunting, color crystal hunting, instances, operations, Hard mode instances, space battles..

all of those things have dailies, as an old  hardcore gamer now casual, I don't even have the time to do all of that in a week let alone a day.

Bioware has some huge changes/updates planned for space battles and guilds, as well.

I guess you could say 8 classes with a month worth of content, but honeslty you can cut that in half because the majority of the content overlaps for at least two classes on each side.  So yeah you may be able to play for a month to get to fifty but I think you'll be tired of a lot of thecontent before you make it to level 20.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Azorith

I guess you could say 8 classes with a month worth of content, but honeslty you can cut that in half because the majority of the content overlaps for at least two classes on each side.  So yeah you may be able to play for a month to get to fifty but I think you'll be tired of a lot of thecontent before you make it to level 20.

less than half, its likely that few will develop more than 3 toons (beyond level 16 that is) after the first run through, repeating none storyline quests could be a bit of a problem, with lots of 'skipping' it looks like Bioware have got the message about the option to bypass the voiceovers though, pressing space allows you to skip ahead to each decision point, and the subtitles mean you don't really miss what was said, one thing they do need to get a hold of though, is the grouping problem, particularly for flashpoints and heroics, which is where all the 'sharding' might be a bit counterproductive, they don't need to make a cross server lfg tool, but they do need to make grouping on the same server a lot easier, being able to split the chat box so that there is a seperate one for guild chat would help a lot too. Mostly they need to sort out the grouping problem, hanging around doing nothing while spamming group messages isnt productive, nor is seeing flashpoint missions turn grey and hitting the 'abandon' button.. image

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

....c4ll 4 hel@%^&

Sorry i have to go dark people are abducting me.

All entertainment, yes that includes mainstream gaming simulations, are nothing more than ways to feed your laziness.  I mean geez man I landed a spaceship at NASA my first try when I was 11 years old.

And seriously if you've never played EVE then I don't even know why you said anything to begin with, looks to me like you're just a troll looking for attention by posting nonsensical jargon that you read in some book made by other people who are just like you.  You're worse than the guys you're pratteling on about because you're telling them how sad they are for playing an entertaining game by giving them, what you think is intelligent, information about how they should be playing EVE because of it's real world applications and yet you've never even played the game to know how it actually works, making your entire comment  a complete waste of your time because instead of posting comments about things you know nothing about, you could be reading a book to learn something that could help the real world.

So we'll stick to our entertaining and exciting games we play and I guess you can stick to telling us how we're wasting our lives while you spend yours doing even less.

Ayup....have to agree. Shit stirring for 100 Alex.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Well... I DO play Eve.  And my RL career involves accounting, budgets, and other RL stuff.

And in Eve you can't starve to death, get sick and die, be imprisoned, or be permanently killed by someone you screwed over.  So whatever anyone might THINK they're learning in Eve that they think applies IRL, they're likely to get a rude awakening.

Back on topic, SWTOR, IMO, caters to casuals, but like WoW, it's easy to learn, difficult to master.  It also caters to people who like Biowaresque story based single player games who are tired of being stuck in a single player world.