Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game reviewers - busted! (Thanks Bioware)

Comments

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by Gyrus

Originally posted by kakasaki

Originally posted by kellian1

Here is a novel idea...

If you don't like what Bioware is selling and think they lied...don't buy the game

If you don't like the reviews from major magazines and don't trust them....don't buy them

How anyone is shocked that major magizine and website articles are biased to big game releases is beyond me. This has been going on for YEARS in the gaming industry.

You would think someone would have better things to do with their time than compiling a long post about nearly every game review that had anything to say about the graphics of the game. If it bothers you that much don't play, why would you waste your time? You think you uncovered something new? You didn't, this sort of stuff has been going on from the start.

I am NOT playing SWTOR, not because of the graphics either, I have my own reasons for not playing it. But I am not going to come on a site like this and cry and complain about something when I can just as easily not play it and let those who enjoy it enjoy it.

image Still amazes me that people act shocked over game reviews being less than accurate. Next thing you know people will "discover" politicians lie sometimes!

You guys do know this is a FORUM, right?

"A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website."

This is a discussion about game reviews.

I know that many reviews are biased.  But in most cases reviewers wil brush off anything you say about their reviews by saying "it's a matter of opinion".

Well, in this case, it's not.

It is a FACT that the game (retail client) only offers low rez graphics. 

So, I 'named and shamed' the reviewers who seemed to completely miss that fact.  Not 'opinion' - but fact.

If you read the original post you will also find I named the ones who noticed (since they are the ones who obviously played the game and reviewed it properly).

Frankly - if nothing else comes of this - I hope they read the OP and are bloody ashamed of themselves.  Maybe next time they will do a better job?

Easy there boy, don't get your undies in a bind. My comments were not meant at you specificaly, just in general. Look, merit or not, you all have to admit the 24/7 SWTOR love/hate rage can start to wear thin on some of us other forum users... you know, the ones that don't really care one way or another about the game.

And thank you, I do know what a forum is for but the question is, do some of you know what restraint is?

P.S. Way to use the old caps-lock everyone. Feel better?

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

The official explanations are outstanding, I wish I was as diplomatic.

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

"A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website."

I know that many reviews are biased.  But in most cases reviewers wil brush off anything you say about their reviews by saying "it's a matter of opinion".

So, I 'named and shamed' the reviewers who seemed to completely miss that fact.  Not 'opinion' - but fact.

If you read the original post you will also find I named the ones who noticed (since they are the ones who obviously played the game and reviewed it properly).

Frankly - if nothing else comes of this - I hope they read the OP and are bloody ashamed of themselves.  Maybe next time they will do a better job?

Should we have a forum discussing the fact the sky is blue? Or does everyone already know that?

Most people realize game reviewers are biased, you "calling them out" might make you feel good and like you did something, but MOST people already know to take whatever these people say with a grain of salt. You think that 10 years from now when Halo 15 comes out they wont give it a 9 or 10 out of 10 JUST because it's a Halo game. It could look like super mario brothers from the Nintendo days and they would call it "vintage" graphics that are a "gamchanger".

This is NOT news or a revelation.

When was the last time you read anything that was a bad preview of a game? Name ONE TIME you read a bad preview of a game. You can't because it NEVER HAPPENS. Why would anyone take anything these people say as legit?

And that is really the point.

Frankly all this SWTOR talk hurts the brain.....don't like it, just don't play it and move along for goodness sake already and find something that suits you

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Not one person is calling the reviewers over not noticing the massive great elephant in the room - ITS A GREAT RPG BUT ITS A POOR MMO

Ah...but that is where you get reviewers saying "That's a matter of opinion."

They can dodge that bullet quite easily.

I have had quite a few discussions on another forum with a Games Reviewer who is a computer games magazine Editor and that is exactly what he says every time.  "It's subjective."

Any time he can play with his friends he is satisfied enough to call a game an MMO.  I have argued that by those standards a multiplayer Play station game is an MMO... and he has  basically said 'Yes'.  The only thing that stops him drifting toward calling those games "MMOs" is the fact that there is no online component.  "Massive" is something we argue about even here (on mmorpg.com).

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by Xasapis

Originally posted by Qazaam

I love the graphics in swtor and threads like this are funny .

If you love the low quality armor textures, imagine how the game would look if it implemented actual high textures then.

It would look like a slide show with about 7 fps.

There are reasons the gameplay cannot be in high rez - for example, to make it a playable game.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Oh look another angry hater thread....

Did SWTOR take your mother out to a nice fish dinner and never call her back or something?

I love my Caps Lock.

Love my punctuation too.

Just wish I could spell.

and @ kellian1

Frankly all this SWTOR talk hurts the brain.....don't like it, just don't play it and move along for goodness sake already and find something that suits you...

Er... I started the thread... so I won't be moving along... as OP it's my priviledge to stay...that is actually how these things work...

But hey, YOU can leave if this thread is boring you?

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

Madbro detected. I think the graphics are great. Nar Shaddaa is amazing. threads like this are ridiculous.

Guys I have an idea! Let's make a game that we want to appeal to a broad audience, but let's make it the most advanced DX11 high res, 16x AA, graphics card melting, memory intensive, need a $500 graphics card to run it and a new comp so a couple nerds will be happy.

And have those guys submit a list of desired specifications too. Broad appeal be damned!

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

It is so damn scary how far the NA is behind the Koreans. This is hilarious where the best comparrison is NA is making cartoons while Korea is making some of the most stunning visual landscapes ever.

It is Star Wars I expect the Star Wars movie realism look NOT A CLONE WARS cartoon on the disney channel. GW2 should be scared as crap by this fact because they took the realistic approach. I guess ArenaNET better redesign the game to look as childish as possible before releasing it.

If I could speak Korean I would find a game and never look back. This genre in NA is utterly done.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Originally posted by Puremallace

It is so damn scary how far the NA is behind the Koreans. This is hilarious where the best comparrison is NA is making cartoons while Korea is making some of the most stunning visual landscapes ever.

You should add that those engines they use are not Korean though. ArcheAge and Aion both used the Crysis engine. Tera uses the Unreal Engine. Vindictus the source Engine. Blade & Soul uses the Unreal 3 engine. I can't even think of a Korean game that doesn't use a Western engine.

And I'm not overstating anything when I say anyone can make great scenery with the Crysis engine, the SDK is now free and it's fairly easy to create something that looks stunning in a few minutes.

(what is slightly worrying is because the Crysis Engine has so much prefab effects and scenery, those games kind of start to look alike)

That's not to diminish any work those Korean developers did, I am pointing out that much of the work being done is actually by Western engines.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by Puremallace

It is Star Wars I expect the Star Wars movie realism look NOT A CLONE WARS cartoon on the disney channel. GW2 should be scared as crap by this fact because they took the realistic approach. I guess ArenaNET better redesign the game to look as childish as possible before releasing it.

If I could speak Korean I would find a game and never look back. This genre in NA is utterly done.

bascially the gaming trend is extreemly high graphics for advertising but once you get the game and log in you find out you can pick between a very high end texture model of spongebob or hello kitty, your choice.

That is my default assumption each time a new game gets declared

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by kellian1

Here is a novel idea...

If you don't like what Bioware is selling and think they lied...don't buy the game

If you don't like the reviews from major magazines and don't trust them....don't buy them

How anyone is shocked that major magizine and website articles are biased to big game releases is beyond me. This has been going on for YEARS in the gaming industry.

You would think someone would have better things to do with their time than compiling a long post about nearly every game review that had anything to say about the graphics of the game. If it bothers you that much don't play, why would you waste your time? You think you uncovered something new? You didn't, this sort of stuff has been going on from the start.

I am NOT playing SWTOR, not because of the graphics either, I have my own reasons for not playing it. But I am not going to come on a site like this and cry and complain about something when I can just as easily not play it and let those who enjoy it enjoy it.

image Still amazes me that people act shocked over game reviews being less than accurate. Next thing you know people will "discover" politicians lie sometimes!

So lets get this straight, if you read a review and they didn't state clearly the graphics were, 'low-rez', that review was worthless and clearly they were part of some conspricacy to defaud people?

If another reviewer did state that the graphics were low-rez then that reviewer is clearly to be trusted?

So essentially what your saying is, those reviewers who agree with my estimation about the graphical quality of the game are to be trusted and those who don't agree are not.  And your trying to brush that of as a FACT? Hillarious.

You see the thing is games don't have to have amazing textures everywhere to look acceptable. Is SWTOR the best looking game ever? No, is it acceptable to a lot of people though and some areas of it do look rather good, (vistas and draw distance for instance).  Maybe not to you and thats your progative but it's quite a leap to say someone is, 'defrauding', you because they hyperbole about how stunning the game is.

To be fair the biggest problem here seems to be more that you feel you've stumbled upon some conspricacy between Bioware and reviewers and in writing this are revealing it all to us.  I have news for you: it happens all the time.

I know for a fact because of my background in marketing/PR that we wouldn't send certain review sites our products because of bad reviews in the past, and some, 'deal', would have to be arranged to salvage that relationship.  How do you think certain magazine/sites get exclusive previews/dev blogs and so on? It doesn't happen out of the kindness of anyones hearts, theres always a kickback.  Look it isn't right and I get your issue with it, (though we may differ on the subject), but it is what happens in the world today.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Internet trys hard to get people into illusions.

Im done.Everyone is trying to lure you or better lure your money with stupid tricks of advertisment.

You can see very clear that reviewers are getting paid for giving high scores to games.

The only true reviewers are the gamers and among those there are a lot that have no idea about games.

In the end trust only people you know and noone else cause they all play the same scenario to attract your money for unfinished games.

It was clear that they rushed the game release because they knew diablo 3 and gw 2 will be far superior games.They rushed in order to earn as much money as they can before the masters arrive.

What would you do now bioware that diablo 3 arrives?Run to hide cause this game will be far better even if it's not an mmo.Not that swtor is an mmo just saying.

Such is the fate of the noobs.

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

bascially the gaming trend is extreemly high graphics for advertising but once you get the game and log in you find out you can pick between a very high end texture model of spongebob or hello kitty, your choice.

Advertising is a seperate issue again.

Where I live (not in the US) there are actually laws about this.

If a product makes claims on the box or in advertising and doesn't deliver - it is actually breaking the law and you can get your money back.  Even for computer games.  Even if you have opened the box and used the key.

So, if it shows a screenshot and you have a rig that meets the "reccomended specifications" then you should get the same graphic quality.  (With "minimium specifications" the game should be playable but does not need to be on high settings.

The down side to all this of course is that many games do not get released here at the same time as the rest of the world.

And to be honest - every time I see an MMO coming out with no release date planned here - I know something is not 100% right.  Lately - this has happened with a few MMOs and in all cases there have been things that were 'wrong' with the initial release.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

It's a MMO not cryengine 3!

Originally posted by Omnifish

So lets get this straight, if you read a review and they didn't state clearly the graphics were, 'low-rez', that review was worthless and clearly they were part of some conspricacy to defaud people?

You could have saved yourself the trouble of asking if you had read the OP.  And no - that assumption is wrong.  Please read the original post.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Originally posted by Zefire

Internet trys hard to get people into illusions.

Im done.Everyone is trying to lure you or better lure your money with stupid tricks of advertisment.

You can see very clear that reviewers are getting paid for giving high scores to games.

The only true reviewers are the gamers and among those there are a lot that have no idea about games.

In the end trust only people you know and noone else cause they all play the same scenario to attract your money for unfinished games.

It was clear that they rushed the game release because they knew diablo 3 and gw 2 will be far superior games.They rushed in order to earn as much money as they can before the masters arrive.

What would you do now bioware that diablo 3 arrives?Run to hide cause this game will be far better even if it's not an mmo.Not that swtor is an mmo just saying.

Such is the fate of the noobs.

QFT right here. EA yet again rushes another mmo out the door but somehow it isn't their fault. Yes, D3 and GW2 will be superior games.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Props to the OP for pointing out these shoddy reviews.

And for everyone defending these reviews...why? They are more or less objectively wrong.

I mean, I don't think killer graphics are extremely important for an MMO either...but the reviews should at least be honest. Best graphics for an MMO yet? Are you kidding me? AoC had much better graphics (and problems to go along with it) and it came out in 2008. We all have suspected that many "professional" reviews are full of it, and this is finally something objective that we can stick in their face. Why would you guys defend them?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by tom_gore

AIOn doesn't look any better than SWTOR

Can I have some of whatever you're smoking?

+1

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Advertising is a seperate issue again.

Where I live (not in the US) there are actually laws about this.

If a product makes claims on the box or in advertising and doesn't deliver - it is actually breaking the law and you can get your money back.  Even for computer games.  Even if you have opened the box and used the key.

So, if it shows a screenshot and you have a rig that meets the "reccomended specifications" then you should get the same graphic quality.  (With "minimium specifications" the game should be playable but does not need to be on high settings.

The down side to all this of course is that many games do not get released here at the same time as the rest of the world.

And to be honest - every time I see an MMO coming out with no release date planned here - I know something is not 100% right.  Lately - this has happened with a few MMOs and in all cases there have been things that were 'wrong' with the initial release.

wait..so you are saying that the latest version of WoW game play actually looks like the video we see on this site every day...oops not so much. where do I file my lawsuit?

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by alkarionlog

Originally posted by tom_gore

AIOn doesn't look any better than SWTOR

Can I have some of whatever you're smoking?

+1

@ Sharky image

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by AdamTM

Originally posted by fenistil

So what's stopping Bioware to adding "Advanced Tab" into theoir graphic options where you could set in-game textures to High-settings (with info that this is not officially supported setting or that it is beta setting ,etc -saw this kind of thing in few games), afaik in early beta where those high textures were in-game there were people that could play them.

Nothing, nothing at all.

For a AAA title the graphics options and configurability is horrible in SWTOR.

Compare it for example to the hundreds of advanced options in for example Serious Sam 3, thats customizability. Shit i can set the amount of threads or VRAM usage in the options menu. I think its the most elaborate config ever:

Thats just the GPU settings.

SS3 is a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER designed for people with high end PCS

SWTOR is a MMO, designed to be so it can have lots of people you know able to play it

What are you talking about?

What do you not understand with the word "OPTION"?

If the high res textures are -already- there, and they clearly are, because they were in CBT and Early Access, people played with them, and Bioware admitted that they were there, what is the excuse to NOT have the OPTION.

Nobody will be forcing your client to play on high res textures if you don't want to!

The customization is needed in PC games, because PCs have varying specs, and different hardware behaves differently.

EXAMPLE:

My PC is relatively high spec, its a core i7 3ghz, with 16GB RAM (work related) with a fast SSD but my GFX card is bottlenecking because its 2 years old.

This means I can usually use the epic/max/ultra textures, but can't run things like high quality particle effects or very complex shadows/dynamic lights depending heavily on the GPU.

In SWTOR particle settings are not accessible in the options menu for me, meaning i need to turn down the "preset" because they are "linked" there (invisible options).

What is the reason i cant just set everything to ultra (textures etc.), except for dynamic lighting and particle effects? Why must i turn everything down to "low" just so i can have lag-free gaming?

There is -no- reason for it.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

on a same side with OP and people who are defending the graphics just dont really care graphics aslong they can keep continue running their siths and jedis around picture stunning world and what i mean picture thats how i see when i play, depth is missing not to mention the bloky shadows. 

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Creslin321

Props to the OP for pointing out these shoddy reviews.

And for everyone defending these reviews...why? They are more or less objectively wrong.

I mean, I don't think killer graphics are extremely important for an MMO either...but the reviews should at least be honest. Best graphics for an MMO yet? Are you kidding me? AoC had much better graphics (and problems to go along with it) and it came out in 2008. We all have suspected that many "professional" reviews are full of it, and this is finally something objective that we can stick in their face. Why would you guys defend them?

I can tell you why, theres a saying in my country "cada um puxa a brasa para a sua sardinha" translating is hard for this one but wouuld read something like "each pulls te coal for its sardines" (hahaha google translator omg) more or less like saying, in the old words "(...)to give sight to the blind and to show those who think they see that they are blind."

I have long reached the conclusion that, in order to explain something to short-sighted people, you need more than written proof, you need more than pictures, you need more than a million voices singing....

....what you really need is

Ok to all the video compares between and MMO and a single player game.

Its really not fair to compare MMO's to single player games pretty much in any respect at all. The format and the CPU Bandwidth demands are different. Please compare MMO to MMO NOT MMO to single player. (if you could be so kind :)

This discussion has been closed.