Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Game reviewers - busted! (Thanks Bioware)

Comments

• MephsterMephster Tyria, NJPosts: 1,188Member

Originally posted by Zefire

Internet trys hard to get people into illusions.

Im done.Everyone is trying to lure you or better lure your money with stupid tricks of advertisment.

You can see very clear that reviewers are getting paid for giving high scores to games.

The only true reviewers are the gamers and among those there are a lot that have no idea about games.

In the end trust only people you know and noone else cause they all play the same scenario to attract your money for unfinished games.

It was clear that they rushed the game release because they knew diablo 3 and gw 2 will be far superior games.They rushed in order to earn as much money as they can before the masters arrive.

What would you do now bioware that diablo 3 arrives?Run to hide cause this game will be far better even if it's not an mmo.Not that swtor is an mmo just saying.

Such is the fate of the noobs.

QFT right here. EA yet again rushes another mmo out the door but somehow it isn't their fault. Yes, D3 and GW2 will be superior games.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• Creslin321Creslin321 Baltimore, MDPosts: 5,359Member

Props to the OP for pointing out these shoddy reviews.

And for everyone defending these reviews...why? They are more or less objectively wrong.

I mean, I don't think killer graphics are extremely important for an MMO either...but the reviews should at least be honest. Best graphics for an MMO yet? Are you kidding me? AoC had much better graphics (and problems to go along with it) and it came out in 2008. We all have suspected that many "professional" reviews are full of it, and this is finally something objective that we can stick in their face. Why would you guys defend them?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• alkarionlogalkarionlog SPosts: 1,124Member Uncommon

Originally posted by tom_gore

Originally posted by ShakyMo

AIOn doesn't look any better than SWTOR

Can I have some of whatever you're smoking?

+1

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXPosts: 5,348Member

Originally posted by Gyrus

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

bascially the gaming trend is extreemly high graphics for advertising but once you get the game and log in you find out you can pick between a very high end texture model of spongebob or hello kitty, your choice.

That is my default assumption each time a new game gets declared

Advertising is a seperate issue again.

Where I live (not in the US) there are actually laws about this.

If a product makes claims on the box or in advertising and doesn't deliver - it is actually breaking the law and you can get your money back.  Even for computer games.  Even if you have opened the box and used the key.

So, if it shows a screenshot and you have a rig that meets the "reccomended specifications" then you should get the same graphic quality.  (With "minimium specifications" the game should be playable but does not need to be on high settings.

The down side to all this of course is that many games do not get released here at the same time as the rest of the world.

And to be honest - every time I see an MMO coming out with no release date planned here - I know something is not 100% right.  Lately - this has happened with a few MMOs and in all cases there have been things that were 'wrong' with the initial release.

wait..so you are saying that the latest version of WoW game play actually looks like the video we see on this site every day...oops not so much. where do I file my lawsuit?

Correlation does not imply causation

• ClerigoClerigo MatosinhosPosts: 400Member Common

Originally posted by alkarionlog

Originally posted by tom_gore

AIOn doesn't look any better than SWTOR

Can I have some of whatever you're smoking?

+1

@ Sharky image

• AdamTMAdamTM Frankfurt Am MainPosts: 1,376Member

Originally posted by AdamTM

Originally posted by fenistil

So what's stopping Bioware to adding "Advanced Tab" into theoir graphic options where you could set in-game textures to High-settings (with info that this is not officially supported setting or that it is beta setting ,etc -saw this kind of thing in few games), afaik in early beta where those high textures were in-game there were people that could play them.

Nothing, nothing at all.

For a AAA title the graphics options and configurability is horrible in SWTOR.

Compare it for example to the hundreds of advanced options in for example Serious Sam 3, thats customizability. Shit i can set the amount of threads or VRAM usage in the options menu. I think its the most elaborate config ever:

Thats just the GPU settings.

SS3 is a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER designed for people with high end PCS

SWTOR is a MMO, designed to be so it can have lots of people you know able to play it

What are you talking about?

What do you not understand with the word "OPTION"?

If the high res textures are -already- there, and they clearly are, because they were in CBT and Early Access, people played with them, and Bioware admitted that they were there, what is the excuse to NOT have the OPTION.

Nobody will be forcing your client to play on high res textures if you don't want to!

The customization is needed in PC games, because PCs have varying specs, and different hardware behaves differently.

EXAMPLE:

My PC is relatively high spec, its a core i7 3ghz, with 16GB RAM (work related) with a fast SSD but my GFX card is bottlenecking because its 2 years old.

This means I can usually use the epic/max/ultra textures, but can't run things like high quality particle effects or very complex shadows/dynamic lights depending heavily on the GPU.

In SWTOR particle settings are not accessible in the options menu for me, meaning i need to turn down the "preset" because they are "linked" there (invisible options).

What is the reason i cant just set everything to ultra (textures etc.), except for dynamic lighting and particle effects? Why must i turn everything down to "low" just so i can have lag-free gaming?

There is -no- reason for it.

• faxnadufaxnadu HelsinkiPosts: 940Member Uncommon

on a same side with OP and people who are defending the graphics just dont really care graphics aslong they can keep continue running their siths and jedis around picture stunning world and what i mean picture thats how i see when i play, depth is missing not to mention the bloky shadows. 

• ClerigoClerigo MatosinhosPosts: 400Member Common

Originally posted by Creslin321

Props to the OP for pointing out these shoddy reviews.

And for everyone defending these reviews...why? They are more or less objectively wrong.

I mean, I don't think killer graphics are extremely important for an MMO either...but the reviews should at least be honest. Best graphics for an MMO yet? Are you kidding me? AoC had much better graphics (and problems to go along with it) and it came out in 2008. We all have suspected that many "professional" reviews are full of it, and this is finally something objective that we can stick in their face. Why would you guys defend them?

I can tell you why, theres a saying in my country "cada um puxa a brasa para a sua sardinha" translating is hard for this one but wouuld read something like "each pulls te coal for its sardines" (hahaha google translator omg) more or less like saying, in the old words "(...)to give sight to the blind and to show those who think they see that they are blind."

I have long reached the conclusion that, in order to explain something to short-sighted people, you need more than written proof, you need more than pictures, you need more than a million voices singing....

....what you really need is

Ok to all the video compares between and MMO and a single player game.

Its really not fair to compare MMO's to single player games pretty much in any respect at all. The format and the CPU Bandwidth demands are different. Please compare MMO to MMO NOT MMO to single player. (if you could be so kind :)

Originally posted by m0lly

on a same side with OP and people who are defending the graphics just dont really care graphics aslong they can keep continue running their siths and jedis around picture stunning world and what i mean picture thats how i see when i play, depth is missing not to mention the bloky shadows. 

I believe how we interact with the game can make a HUGE difference. Its the difference between playing chess in a prision cell compared to a nice room with a burning fireplace with a n*ked woman walking around serving you drinks. it DOES matter.

• AxehiltAxehilt San Francisco, CAPosts: 8,725Member Uncommon

What i find funny on this thread

lots of people calling out games reviewers saying these aren't crysis like graffics, how dare they give it 8/10 for graffics

when in fact the graffics are good by mmo standards, not the best that would be Conan so far, but good all the same.

BUT

Not one person is calling the reviewers over not noticing the massive great elephant in the room - ITS A GREAT RPG BUT ITS A POOR MMO

Most people simply don't care, and have a great time because it's a great RPG with solid graphics.

They could care less if there's some meaningless conspiracy theory about review scores vs. graphics (because the graphics are fine) and care even less about whether it's a "One True MMORPG" because the RPG gameplay is fine.

"Joe stated his case logically and passionately, but his perceived effeminate voice only drew big gales of stupid laughter..." -Idiocracy
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

• AxehiltAxehilt San Francisco, CAPosts: 8,725Member Uncommon

Originally posted by m0lly

This is completely ridiculous.  Everyone cares about the look of a game.

But to have extreme concerns about graphics quality, one can't help but say "It's the wrong genre for you, bud" and recommend a good looking FPS (or possibly Skyrim.)

If you want to push graphical boundaries, MMOs aren't where you're going to find that.

"Joe stated his case logically and passionately, but his perceived effeminate voice only drew big gales of stupid laughter..." -Idiocracy
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Herp Derp, PAPosts: 496Member

I would be ok with less-than-average graphics if the game ran smoothly.

But it runs like crap whether it's on high or low settings so not sure how anyone would defend Bioware on this.

and no its not my system 

• boubhsboubhs athensPosts: 73Member

nice post. i guess those experts must feel very proud about their score...

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

But it runs like crap whether it's on high or low settings so not sure how anyone would defend Bioware on this.

and no its not my system 

Define "runs like crap".

I use a 2 year old laptop with 6gig of memory and 1 gig of vidmem. I have to set the graphics on "low" or I suffer a performance hit. On low; however, I have no issues at all.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• volttvoltt richmondhill, ONPosts: 269Member

and no its not my system 

beleive it , its probaly your system, because i am having no proboem

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

and no its not my system 

Define "runs like crap".

I use a 2 year old laptop with 6gig of memory and 1 gig of vidmem. I have to set the graphics on "low" or I suffer a performance hit. On low; however, I have no issues at all.

what 2 year old laptop has 6gb ram and 1gb vram?

just asking since id like to buy that one.

• ZzadZzad Palma de MallorcaPosts: 1,332Member Uncommon

Hard to believe a game in 2012 done by Bioware & so expensive can come out in low res.....

I jus´t don´t understand..... shame :(

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,207Member Uncommon

and no its not my system 

I would be okay with that too if the game wasn't so expensive.  Best launch ever?  I don't think so.

• StSynnerStSynner Funkytown, TXPosts: 123Member

The computer I have was used to play AION and BF3... 2 of the most visually appealing multi-player games in recent history... on the highest settings with zero performance issues.

...and yet TOR runs like piss with more than a handful of people in the same area as my character. ...and it LOOKS horrible.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member

and no its not my system 

Define "runs like crap".

Belive-it-or-not, it's an HP that I bought at Wal-Mart. 1K$ rig at the time. I needed to be more portable these days, so I had to forego building a new desktop. I was kinda bummed when I bought it, the display unit had a bluray player and 3 gig of mem with 512 vidmem, but the "new version" that was in stock had a regular DVD and 6Gb mem with 1Gb vidmem. The mem is nice, but I wanted the bluray drive.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• FalcomithFalcomith Hastings, FLPosts: 800Member

Originally posted by StSynner

The computer I have was used to play AION and BF3... 2 of the most visually appealing multi-player games in recent history... on the highest settings with zero performance issues.

...and yet TOR runs like piss with more than a handful of people in the same area as my character. ...and it LOOKS horrible.

I am starting think, when it comes to performance issues in SWTOR, its a problem with system configuration. The reason why I say that is I can run AION, BF3 and SWTOR at its highest settings without a performance problem. 60fps or more at times.

The following is what I am using if you are interested..

AMD 965 x4 Black Edition 3.4 GHrz

1 EVGA GTX 460 - 1gig

RAM 4gig

Windows 64 bit Home

Gateway HDMI LCD monitor 1680 x 1050 resolution

and no its not my system 

Define "runs like crap".

Belive-it-or-not, it's an HP that I bought at Wal-Mart. 1K$ rig at the time. I needed to be more portable these days, so I had to forego building a new desktop. I was kinda bummed when I bought it, the display unit had a bluray player and 3 gig of mem with 512 vidmem, but the "new version" that was in stock had a regular DVD and 6Gb mem with 1Gb vidmem. The mem is nice, but I wanted the bluray drive.

HP Pavilion dv7t Select Edition?

• KarahandrasKarahandras Sible HedinghamPosts: 1,673Member Uncommon

I'm going to go with the 'copy and paste' idea.

I read a few previews for swtor and found it a total waste of time as I read almost the exact same previews for sto and If i looked i could probably find them again for lotro.

P.S. sorry to get back on topic

• KostKost Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,975Member

The game was high-res in beta, all the time, not just in cutscenes.

No, it wasn't.

This discussion has been closed.