Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's going on with Eve now, Update plz

HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282

Hi,

Used to be a player over a year ago and just curious as to what is going on with the population & game.  Especially after that P2Win item shop debacle.  Is population back on a rising track or has it stalwarted.

Also, how much is a Plex nowdays?

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online

Comments

• welwynwelwyn Member Posts: 6

A plex is around 400-450m, population is steadily rising, although not dramatically. P2W is not going to happen, so players are returning and newer players are joining with the recent recruit a friend options.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

There is nothing in the itemshop that is 'pay2win'  every single item is just apparel, clothing, visual.

Population is back on the increase, but population is such that you will never run out of people to interact with anyway.  In fact, as Vet's do leave, they leave behind a vaccum of power which actually helps newer players...  so a decline in population is a good thing (to an extent)

Every single time I re-sub to eve and almost everyday I encounter 'daisy fresh' new players.

You shouldnt let what other people say and do effect you this much,  take a broader longer term perspective on things, a few people ranting about something for a few months is insignificant to the 9 years that Eve has been constantly growing.

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269

Originally posted by sadeyx

There is nothing in the itemshop that is 'pay2win'  every single item is just apparel, clothing, visual.

Population is back on the increase, but population is such that you will never run out of people to interact with anyway.  In fact, as Vet's do leave, they leave behind a vaccum of power which actually helps newer players...  so a decline in population is a good thing (to an extent)

Every single time I re-sub to eve and almost everyday I encounter 'daisy fresh' new players.

You shouldnt let what other people say and do effect you this much,  take a broader longer term perspective on things, a few people ranting about something for a few months is insignificant to the 9 years that Eve has been constantly growing.

Yes but I will not stand for the changing of the game we all loved and knew, Jagex ignored the players on Runescape... the story tells itself.

EVE Online was, and still is a great game. <3 CCP, hope they continue to deliver, now I just would love a 60 day buddy pass so I can play again. :)

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

Originally posted by assault3hro

Yes but I will not stand for the changing of the game we all loved and knew,

That makes no sense what so ever.  Your subscrition is used to pay for changes.

Eve is the most changable MMO out there, and is one of the the only mmos to continually grows its subscribers.  Thats mainly because it does change and keeps expanding....  and it will keep expanding, wether you like it or not.

• viparesvipares Member Posts: 15

Lots if minor improvments are also coming with every patch, I have a feeling majority of population is pretty happy with game's direction.

• scratch250scratch250 Member Posts: 17

The P2Win comment made me laugh :P but all in all crucible is a very good exp and they are keeping focus on the little things like UI and such with is making eve a blast to play :D i love this game and love the new direction CCP is taking it really feels like the learnd their leason with incarna :) so come back and ill cya in space ;)

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

/snip

Eve is the most changable MMO out there, and is one of the the only mmos to continually grows its subscribers.  Thats mainly because it does change and keeps expanding....  and it will keep expanding, wether you like it or not.

Wait a minute.  Just last year the Eve community was bitching that the game never got any updates because all the resources were going to dust & wod.  In fact for several years eve sat idle. 

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget

/snip

Wait a minute.  Just last year the Eve community was bitching that the game never got any updates because all the resources were going to dust & wod.  In fact for several years eve sat idle. 

Thats nonsense.   Eve has had two expansion every year for years now,   there hasnt been any complaint about 'no updates'  the complaining was that Incarna was the first expansion where a PORTION of the community didnt like it,  thus was coined the term 'bitter vets'  because this complaint came mainly from Eve veterens, who only represent 20% of the entire eve community.

CCP Turn that around in 6 months to produce what is generally regarded as one of its best expansions since Apocrypha.

So your a bit mistaken about your facts and is actually evidence of how people twist things into pure nonsense.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

http://hazar.bandcamp.com/track/gimmix

Check out the EVE Crucible music. 'kin banging.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by stayontarget

/snip

Thats nonsense.   Eve has had two expansion every year for years now,   there hasnt been any complaint about 'no updates'  the complaining was that Incarna was the first expansion where a PORTION of the community didnt like it,  thus was coined the term 'bitter vets'  because this complaint came mainly from Eve veterens, who only represent 20% of the entire eve community.

CCP Turn that around in 6 months to produce what is generally regarded as one of its best expansions since Apocrypha.

So your a bit mistaken about your facts and is actually evidence of how people twist things into pure nonsense.

Perfhaps you should do a post history search of the forums mate.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• F2PMMOF2PMMO Member UncommonPosts: 122

I guess the population has ticked up somewhat due the mostly successful expansion. On the other hand; the number of players online is nowhere near what it was at this time of the year last year; dropped from average 50K to 40K at its best. (peaked january 2011 at 60K and has never been at 50K after Incarna). My guess(unfortunately, since I am a regular player) is that the steady increase in number of players is over, unless CCP comes up with something unimaginably great in an expansion in the near future. Either the game will remain at ca. 40K players online(what the equivalent is in number of subscribers, I don't know) or EvE has reached the slow yet inexorable decline and fall every MMO experience.

I think EvE will be around a long time still. There is still an influx of genuinly new players, and there is no place to go for us dedicated players. No other MMO offers remotely what EvE does to its players in terms of gameplay and a living, breathing, competitive and cooperative player run virtual world. 

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Last I checked, player activity was on the rise. Cruicible is an awesome expansion that fixed a lot of the paper-cut issues EVE had.

Quite a few vets returned and the next expansion is suppose to be better.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

I returned for the one month at $9.99.  Sub ended last week, didn't renew.  I still expect to come back yet again but Crucible wasn't enough oomph for me personally.  As stated, still the best game out there.  

Cheers

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

CCP have defiantly turned things around.  They are now adding some real cool stuff to the game and the customer support is one of the best I have seen.

I too have noticed a large influx of new players

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 606

The game was heading in the Pay-to-win direction with incarna, fortunitely enough pissed off customers canceled their subscriptions to where CCP decided to put the pay-to-win mechanic on at least the backburner (for now). Since that CCP has been actually "improving" the "space" part of the game (Something that hasn't happened in a few years.) in order to try and pull back all the players that left. It's been relatively successful so far, the playerbase is still way down compared to where it was last year, but is slowly climbing out of the "seriously screwed" hole it was in post incarna.

CCP has in no way stated they won't go pay-to-win in the future again, but at least for now they are putting effort into gameplay and not into money grabbing bullsh*t.

And despite what some people will tell you, 80-90% of the playerbase hated or at least disliked incarna. The slim minority approved of it. Only about 15% of the playerbase hated it enough along with the pay-to-win direction to tell CCP to shove the subscription where the light don't shine. (CCP's numbers of 8% are false, and has been proven via login graphs.)

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

Originally posted by Kazuhiro

CCP has in no way stated they won't go pay-to-win in the future again, but at least for now they are putting effort into gameplay and not into money grabbing bullsh*t.

"We also didn’t do enough to assure you that this wasn’t the beginning of a “pay to win” scenario in EVE. Let me be blunt: Unless the MMO business changes radically, our virtual goods strategy for EVE Online will remain limited in scope and focus on vanity items, or as we said after the CSM visit this summer: The investment of money in EVE should not give you an unfair advantage over the investment of time. "

Hilmar Veigar Pétursson

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by FTPMMO

. On the other hand; the number of players online is nowhere near what it was at this time of the year last year; dropped from average 50K to 40K at its best. (peaked january 2011 at 60K and has never been at 50K after Incarna).

40,000 players in one single giant world is quite astounding. keep in mind that every other mmo out there has servers that can each handle a max of arround 3 or 4 thousand players. you cannot interact with all the other hundreds of thousands of players on other server. so really in most mmos your actual world contains a maximum of maybe 4000 people,  of which half you can only interact by pvp (opposite faction).

40,000 that can potentially all play, interact, trade, fight together......i'm not sure what EvE players are complaining about. that is fenomenal.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 606

Originally posted by Krematory

Originally posted by Kazuhiro

"We also didn’t do enough to assure you that this wasn’t the beginning of a “pay to win” scenario in EVE. Let me be blunt: Unless the MMO business changes radically, our virtual goods strategy for EVE Online will remain limited in scope and focus on vanity items, or as we said after the CSM visit this summer: The investment of money in EVE should not give you an unfair advantage over the investment of time. "

Hilmar Veigar Pétursson

I must have missed that statement, thanks for pointing it out. Still I trust that guy as much as I would the devil himself, as he was the guy that caused the entire debacle in the first place.

Jakdstripper: Noone is saying 40k is horrible, just that even after these recent improvements it's still down 20% compared to what it used to be. (Was 30k or so after the incarna fu*k up.)

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

yea, people arnt interested in the amount of players because they are concerned there wont be anyone to play with... they are just using it as a way to measure it's health and making some pretty wild asumptions.

Truth is, on average for the past 9 years population and subscribers has grown every single year... and there isnt a single other mmo that can claim that, and that alone is enough to determine its a completly different mmo that doesnt follow any patterns that others do.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Acctually the truth is that population is declining in the past year and ccp figured out that they need to get their head out of their arse and start thinking about what players want and not what they think is good. LIke planetary ineractiion instead of fixing lag. And supers are still broken and russians are still rmting so EVE is pay to win right now.

Yes there can be fun in small roaming gangs but alliance gameplay is still broken.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

I'm going to interject here: Those of you who resubscribe after every expansion hoping for the game to magically meet your expectations are bad, and you should feel bad. Expansions are for the benefit of those who already play and enjoy EVE — and if you didn't realize that before just now, then you fail.

Even CCP fell prey to that foolish mode of thinking: "If we can introduce a silver-bullet set of features, we can attract a whole different player demographic!" They attempted this, and then they had to lay off 20% of their staff because EVE's playerbase revolted.

CCP needs to fix longstanding bugs and improve/add features that current EVE players want and have been asking for. They have been humbled, and while I thank you for donating $15 to CCP every time you hope an expansion fixed the game for you, you should probably stop.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

CCP needs to fix longstanding bugs and improve/add features that current EVE players want and have been asking for. They have been humbled, and while I thank you for donating $15 to CCP every time you hope an expansion fixed the game for you, you should probably stop.

What you say makes no sense,   Any vet worth his salt very rarly pays any money to play eve.   You would also know that the last expansion was just about fixing those exact problems you mention.  So, with respect, you dont appear to have any authority to speak on the subject and just dis-credit yourself.

Even if they have lost 'some' subscribers over the past year.. over the year it will still have seen an increase on average, it hasnt actually gone backwards yet, and with the new expansion its picking up once more.

CCP have indeed mistakes, but its still the only MMO where the CEO has stood up, admitted it, apolagised and then actually did something about it.    You will never see that from Blizzard, Bioware, NCSoft, FunCom, SOE.

They messed up, they admited it, they fixed it... Eve carrys on like it has for 9 years.

• GeroltGerolt Member Posts: 98

What you say makes no sense,   Any vet worth his salt very rarly pays any money to play eve.  

So how long have you played Eve and how long will you still need to play it before you understand how plex works? :p

Every plex is paid for. Vets usually have several accounts. Plexed or not, one vet averagely is worth more subscription money than the average noob with his one account.

You don't wanna piss off the vets in Eve. (And not the noobs - the vets need someone to buy the plex for them. It's a bit of a pyramid scheme actually. And that's how everyone in Eve needs everyone, 0.0 needs hisec, hisec needs 0.0, carebears need pvpers, pvpers need carebears, and vets need noobs and vice versa. Their game designers really thought this to the end.)

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

What you say makes no sense,   Any vet worth his salt very rarly pays any money to play eve.

Any vet worth his salt would have stopped reading your post right there. I certainly tried, although I'm an extremely fast reader, so unfortunately I was forced to read the rest of the paragraph and skim the following two as well. In future, I will know to skip your posts in their entirety.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• GeroltGerolt Member Posts: 98

Even if they have lost 'some' subscribers over the past year.. over the year it will still have seen an increase on average, it hasnt actually gone backwards yet, and with the new expansion its picking up once more.

Correct, if by increase you mean decrease.

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

These graphs are to be read from the right to the left. (True story. If you don't believe me, ask Chribba)