Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Necro Post?

coyotez28coyotez28 Member Posts: 10

What the hell is Necro post?

Also Mod I read the Rules and no where in the Rules does it say Necro Post.  Please go through your rules again and re-read them because I find no indication of it.

Besides the post is an update of how Frogster is treating their customers after 2 years.  The complaints haven't changed and have increased since then.  Also according to posts Frogster USA is closed.

USA customers have no one to talk to regarding service. And it's taking about 30 days to get a response for a money related issue.

Just go here  http://forum.us.runesofmagic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

To read up on the complaints.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

if im not wrong, necro posting is posting in an old thread (a thread nobody have posted in again for a while)

as in, posting in a dead thread... the word necro gives the hint

edit: either create a new thread or try to find an updated (active) thread to post. :)

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Originally posted by rojo6934

if im not wrong, necro posting is posting in an old thread (a thread nobody have posted in again for a while)

I understand the concept, but I don't understand why almost every forum on the internet has such a blatant problem with necroing a thread, especially if the reply or update actually provides useful information. Maybe someone can explain to me why this is a bad thing, because I don't see it.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

I understand the concept, but I don't understand why almost every forum on the internet has such a blatant problem with necroing a thread, especially if the reply or update actually provides useful information. Maybe someone can explain to me why this is a bad thing, because I don't see it.

i may be wrong but its my opinion. I think its considered inapropriate to necro posting because most people look at the dates of the posts when looking for information. If its an old thread they tend to leave the thread into oblivion even after getting their info. So once you leave you will most likely never come back to that old thread, if you do then you are necro posting lol

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322

Originally posted by coyotez28

What the hell is Necro post?

Also Mod I read the Rules and no where in the Rules does it say Necro Post.  Please go through your rules again and re-read them because I find no indication of it.

Necro-posting is generaly frowned upon for the following reasons:

• Frequently the topic is out-of-date.

• It can be confusing for others when ancient topics from years ago re-appear.

• The fact that the topic has been left for so long can indicate that the topic has been debated to death.

• Dragging up old topics pushes current relevant topics further down the forum's listing.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

I was warned for necro posting once on this site and made the same complaint - no where in their rules does it say that you can't do it.

The rules could have changed since I checked though, but I doubt it.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

I agree with you mostly. Somtimes a necro is completely fine. Sometimes I can see how it might be bad.

For example, let's say when you google "guide to DAOC to charming crystals" (or some other super specific phrase about the game) it brings up a thread guide written in 2004 with a lot of out dated info that could permanently screw up someone's character. Well, that outdated info is the top hit and it's giving people bad info. I see no problem with replying to the thread to say that it's out of date, etc.

I just made that example up and the phrase "charming crystals."

The complete ban and taboo against all necro posting shows how lazy and unwilling people are to just use their brains a little. It doesn't hurt us to practice critical thinking... ie "Is it okay that this thread was necro'ed, or was it a bad idea?" Using our brains isn't a bad thing.