Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: Wings Over Norrath

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Everquest II players now have the ability to fly with the addition of the new Pegasus Feather Flight Wings or Nightmare Flight Wings. To celebrate the momentous occasion, the team has released a new video showing off the new flight mode. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

How do you get the wings?

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

Originally posted by Adoni

station cash RMT, they are about 20 bucks.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

Originally posted by Ecoces

Originally posted by Adoni

Station cash RMT, they are about 20 bucks.

Ouch!

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I'm confused.  I've played this game and many others.  The developers always reasoned against flight due to bypassing content.  Is that no longer an issue or was it never really a good excuse to begin with?

• chillizchilliz Member UncommonPosts: 96

My god that trailer was bloody awful.  jesus i seen some bad trailers but that looked like it was straight out of the 90's.

• SkrankenSkranken Member UncommonPosts: 100

Originally posted by chilliz

My god that trailer was bloody awful.  jesus i seen some bad trailers but that looked like it was straight out of the 90's.

And such fitting music! Makes me wanna /dance..

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Vorthanion

I'm confused.  I've played this game and many others.  The developers always reasoned against flight due to bypassing content.  Is that no longer an issue or was it never really a good excuse to begin with?

Flying mounts already been in for quite a while so it doesn't really matter anymore.

But yeah, it is one of the things they done because people complained that Wow had it already. They also did add 2 really lame "dynamic events" in the last expansion even though they just were stuff that scaled and triggered every 2 hours.

EQ2 have gotten more and more desperate lately, or I can't be 100% sure of that since I havn't played since my guild quit after Sonys servers got hacked last year but it surely seems so.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Aion? SOE has gotta be trolling at this point

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I just started playing this game again yesterday and I can honestly say I'm having a lot of fun. It's different than last time I played it and has quite a few people online (I think when I created my character it had 4 heavy / full servers). I got into a dungeon group at 20 in litterally 20 seconds, and just all in all having a really good time. I don't know if they are getting more desperate or not, but I'm surely staying with this game.

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

Wow, that's some ugly stuff... This game doesn't deserve the EverQuest name. Flying? Come on.

Kids will like it though.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

It's not often that an existing MMO introduces a feature that puts a smile on my my face for whatever reason, but I'm now going to download the game and get my credit card out. Awesome. Hehe

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Originally posted by EverSkelly

It's made this 36 year-old kid give EQ2 another ago :)

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

This is just too sad. This game has just continued down the slippery slope to more and more over-the-top WoWification. Bigger, and bigger tackier, and tackier.... Hope they don't make EQNext all WoW-ified over-the-top (but they probably will).

Wow, that's some ugly stuff... This game doesn't deserve the EverQuest name. Flying? Come on.

The EQ name has been tarnished ever since SOE took over 11 years ago

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

I like them, and I'm 45. 

Look flight has been in for some time now, and you still can not use them tell 85 (this is the normal flight level) so your not passing any content, as well you should know that this is NOT the first winged flight in EQ2. There are 3 races that can atain winged flight with out the wings in the video, so it is not any thing new or difrent, just fluff.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Arkain

I like them, and I'm 45. 

Look flight has been in for some time now, and you still can not use them tell 85 (this is the normal flight level) so your not passing any content, as well you should know that this is NOT the first winged flight in EQ2. There are 3 races that can atain winged flight with out the wings in the video, so it is not any thing new or difrent, just fluff.

I'm of the belief that if players want a feature that allows them to bypass content, then that is their choice.  The more you force people down the linear path, the less likely they are to stick around.  Why should the developers care if people bypass content they don't want to do?  If it means they're happier doing the things they actually want to do, they'll stick around longer, putting more money into the game.  It's a win / win for all parties concerned, yet developers get this prideful stance when players desire or figure out ways to play the game their way instead of the developer's way and they get all huffy and puffy about it.

That's why I find it slighty ironic that after all of the denials for flight and the reasons for it, they decide to add it in anyway(only too little, too late for my tastes), making all of their past arguments a joke.  Not surprising really, SOE has been a joke in my book for a long time now.

• tysonj25tysonj25 Member UncommonPosts: 66

Originally posted by Asamof

Sony was always a part of EQ...

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

SOE didn't "take it over" Verant was created by SOE's 989 studio back in the 90's and "spun off" into its own subsidiary.  Smedly was behind EQ from the beginning.  Verant was a brand of Sony not its own entity.  Smedly hired McQuade and everybody else responsible and "guided" its production.  People do like to talk about this because it is fun (and justifiable) to bash SOE and Smed.  But EQ was SOE from the beginning just under a different brand.

• onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161

The shark has now been jumped. Y'all can go home.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Operation make EQ2 like Vanguard has finally begun!

All hands on deck, craftable boats inc!

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Originally posted by darwa

It's not often that an existing MMO introduces a feature that puts a smile on my my face for whatever reason,

+1 This exactly.

People can complain about the game being WoWified or the RMT aspect of it but they cannot deny this is just an amazing feature that was added. Players have been asking for this for years and now we fininally got it.

The nay sayers need to lighten up and live a little.

Originally posted by niceguy3978

SOE didn't "take it over" Verant was created by SOE's 989 studio back in the 90's and "spun off" into its own subsidiary.  Smedly was behind EQ from the beginning.  Verant was a brand of Sony not its own entity.  Smedly hired McQuade and everybody else responsible and "guided" its production.  People do like to talk about this because it is fun (and justifiable) to bash SOE and Smed.  But EQ was SOE from the beginning just under a different brand.

fortunately my point still stands, the original verant team left around shadows of luclin and the series ever since has become about churning out expansion after expansion year after year, charging for each (when most mmo's make these free content updates). SOE has always been about nickel and diming though, having cash shop into its subscription based game long before freemium became the new thing 

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

fortunately my point still stands, the original verant team left around shadows of luclin and the series ever since has become about churning out expansion after expansion year after year, charging for each (when most mmo's make these free content updates). SOE has always been about nickel and diming though, having cash shop into its subscription based game long before freemium became the new thing 

Your point was that the name was tarnished when SOE took over, SOE was always there, your point doesnt exist, nice backtracking though.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

I think the change happened when EQ2 performed very poorly compared to WoW which came out around the same time. A lot of money was invested into EQ2 and while it did well for an MMO at the time, WoW just completely outshined it and the pressure was on.

I really believe the higher ups started putting the pressure on Smed and the rest of SoE to pull in more numbers like Blizzard even if it meant cash shopping the hell out them. I could be wrong, but it makes sense.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I have nice memories of EQ2 but the more they do and add to the game, the less I like it. This Wings thingy just crossed a line for me. But if if the actual playerbase likes it, it's ok I guess.