Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Rift Goes Mobile

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

In this episode of Tripping the Rift, we take a look at Trion's Rift Mobile app, available now for iPhone and Android users.  Do the features of Rift Mobile make it easier to stay connected to Telara? Find out!

I was surprised to find that Trion and Rift had put together a mobile app for the iOS.  One, because as a player of the game it somehow eluded me that they were making this, and two because the damned thing ended up being kind of awesome for a free app.  There are a lot of things it could improve on, functionality it could deliver, but from what I understand this is just the first stepping stone to a larger mobile experience in Telara.  Looks like ArenaNet isn’t the only company who realizes the power phones and tablets can have to keep players connected to the game world on the go.

Read the rest of our Tripping the Rift: Rift Goes Mobile.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

People really seem to be liking this feature and considering it is free is another biggie. Few people in my guild are also using it.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

This only prooves that kids don't play MMORPG's.. they like internet social circles w/Avitars.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I'd like to see more MMO's offer this sort of thing.  Eve needs a training/trade app!

Seems like SWTOR could do a crafting app pretty quickly as well.  Even if it was just for the gathering professions.

• billyknitbillyknit Member Posts: 1

No Android version!  WHEN TRION?!?!?

• boubhsboubhs Member Posts: 73

+1 to RIFT once more

I think TRION has the best devs in todays mmo's.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

This is awesome, it's one of the major things i couldn't wait for when GW2 releases! Cannot wait! i hope GW2 has a lottery too, miss that about LOTRO.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I agree boubh's RiFT definitely has the best dev team in the business, other MMO's could learn a lot from them.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

How about a PC version??

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Seems to me a lot of hot air.  You can't play the game on a mobile app so what is the point?  Can't believe we have posters upset that they can't use it.  

• i know this is kind of lame but... i'm thinking about upgrading my phone becuase of this lol.

buddy came over two days ago showing me the app. he got a free inscribed and a free eternal planar dust among other things. i'm jelly.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Pretty novel idea, I like it and would certainly use it if I played the game. Would prefer it without the scratchcard games though, rather cheapens the whole approach.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

This app is great, i enjoy talking to my guildies when im out and about.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

I have absolutely no interest in chatting with someone whos playing a game while Im not playing a game.  How is this any different then calling your buddy whos playing golf and talking to him, then saying wow that was so cool I just talked to my friend while he was golfing and I was having lunch.

I remember my first beer too it was so cool............

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Originally posted by Coolit

I agree boubh's RiFT definitely has the best dev team in the business, other MMO's could learn a lot from them.

Yeah, too bad that the market is too saturated to be able to appreciate it.

Other devs could in fact learn alot from Trion. The genre wouldn't be in such a mysery for years now. But then... i guess there is not another bunch in any industry as resistent to learning as game devs are.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Robsolf
    I'd like to see more MMO's offer this sort of thing.  Eve needs a training/trade app!Seems like SWTOR could do a crafting app pretty quickly as well.  Even if it was just for the gathering professions.

You can activate crew skills from your mobile device in TOR.

Here's how.

Happy mobile crafting! :)

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

strange, when blizzard adds mobile stuff to their game everyone flames that its a waste instead of making the game better while with Rift this is a godsend ?

this is indeed a good feature although is not making the actual game any better. Just pointing that out

:/

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Crafty Critters? Wut?

I thought the image was a joke =S

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409
    The point was to keeps tabs on whats going on in the game while you're not logged on. Not actually play it on your phone.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by Robsolf

I'd like to see more MMO's offer this sort of thing.  Eve needs a training/trade app!Seems like SWTOR could do a crafting app pretty quickly as well.  Even if it was just for the gathering professions.

You can activate crew skills from your mobile device in TOR.

Here's how.

Happy mobile crafting! :)

Interesting!  Thanks!