Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The 2011 MMORPG.com Awards

1235»

Comments

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Antemortem

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for the laugh.

2010 sucked.

2011 sucked.

I have hopes in GW2 and maybe TSW.

SWTOR, RIFT, WOW, EQ, EQ2, AOC, ETC, ETC ARE ALL THE SAME.

The genre is bleeding and I don't believe in it anymore.

Yet you are hyped for a game made by FUNCOM(lol) and launching pay to play with a cash shop from day 1?

Your idea of the future of the genre is completely flawed. Lets see GW2 do updates atleast once every 6 months because they sure as hell can't now if Guild Wars is any indication.

If TOR is the best rpg why is Rift even bothering with wedding for rp'rs?

http://forums.riftgame.com/lore-telara/role-play-forums/286811-rp-town-hall-wedding-feedback.html#post3478410

• AzzuritainAzzuritain Member Posts: 1

Good list. Not sure why some peeps think World of Tanks should have beat League of Legends when LoL is currently the LARGEST online game. When WoW dropped to around 10 mil active LoL was stated as having 11.5 mil active. Obviously they are doing something right if they are atracting that large portion of the market.

Also LoL does fit the description of an MMO. I believe that the hybrid description was most accurate though. I see that people seem to think that if it doesn't look like Everquest used to (or whatever popular mmo they started with) then it isn't an MMO. MMO is a description. In LoL you can interact with tons of people online all at the same time, but we don't have to put up with general spam.

Whether or not you think LoL is an MMO is pointless though as the term hybrid-mmo has yet to have a solid description set in place. You can argue it isn't an mmo, but hybrid-mmo might be a perfect description.

For those interested in game statistics, LoL's stats are here http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1495692

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Another thing to add is that I'm pretty sure RIFT spammed emails the most heavily for people to vote for them. I got so many "Vote For Rift Best Game of 2011!" that I finally blocked RIFT's mailing address. Way to spam.

Smile

• uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159

Originally posted by Razeekster

Another thing to add is that I'm pretty sure RIFT spammed emails the most heavily for people to vote for them. I got so many "Vote For Rift Best Game of 2011!" that I finally blocked RIFT's mailing address. Way to spam.

Those GOTYs aren't from readers but only from MMORPG.com

• wesleyartswesleyarts Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by Razeekster

I m a Rift happy player and I got not spammed, neither my friends did. You accusation is totally a flaw.

• wesleyartswesleyarts Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Master10K

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

Grats Trion.

Question now becomes how to keep a playerbase happy enough to stay subscribed.

Who knows. What I know is that my sub ran out this morning and I have no real desire to resub, having suffered through Rift's terrible PvP and grinded my way to RoS Raid content on 3 classes and HK on my main. I feel like I've done all that Rift has to offer and with my main's server going from High pop to Low pop in a matter of 2 months, means there's even less reason for me to return.

While Rift deserves its award, it's a shame that the year they win it appears they've never found a way to staunch the bleeding sub issue no matter how much they improve it.

Right now since most standard theme park MMO's are so similar there's really no reason for a person to not just try the next flavor of the month and then move on once the core content is consumed, especially if one is not a raider.

The era of MMORPG's holding people's attention for a year or more is probably long over.

IN 3 months from now people will be returning from SWTOR to Rift. I will be here to say "I told you so".

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Azzuritain

Good list. Not sure why some peeps think World of Tanks should have beat League of Legends when LoL is currently the LARGEST online game. When WoW dropped to around 10 mil active LoL was stated as having 11.5 mil active. Obviously they are doing something right if they are atracting that large portion of the market.

Also LoL does fit the description of an MMO. I believe that the hybrid description was most accurate though. I see that people seem to think that if it doesn't look like Everquest used to (or whatever popular mmo they started with) then it isn't an MMO. MMO is a description. In LoL you can interact with tons of people online all at the same time, but we don't have to put up with general spam.

Whether or not you think LoL is an MMO is pointless though as the term hybrid-mmo has yet to have a solid description set in place. You can argue it isn't an mmo, but hybrid-mmo might be a perfect description.

For those interested in game statistics, LoL's stats are here http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1495692

No avatar development in LOL hence it is NOT a MMO in any shape or form.

• mysticalspammysticalspam Member Posts: 64

sad this site is run by RIFT and SWTOR fanboys so of course they would win...

GW2 been #1 on hype list for long time SWTOR #3 most the time and they share the #1 spot for most anticipated game..... were supose to believe that? o.0

i demand a recount lol

• BelgueBelgue Member UncommonPosts: 46

Agree on every pick, well done MMORPG staffs.

• AryasAryas Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 337

I'd like to see a category for 'Biggest Loss of the Year', for games that were shut-down or the dev folded, despite being good. I think these games deserve recognition.

Sometimes these games disappear because of fundamental design flaws or other issues, which is fair enough. I think Chronicles of Spellbourne fell into this category a fews years back. I loved the basic ideas of the games but in many ways it was just too weird in terms of art direction, etc.

Late last year, Earth Eternal went offline as Sparkplay went bust (?). This for me was a tragedy as it was a damn good game that appeared to be thriving. It wasn't my regular haunt but I really enjoyed playing the game in certain situations (at work :), on trips, etc) when I didn't have a higher spec PC to hand. I think this game went in it's prime and if TurnOut Ventures are going to bring it back, they'd better get moving before it's too dated.

Next I think we'll see Vanguard put to sleep. SOE appears to be letting this one die a slow death and gradually letting it slip out of peoples memories. However, I think this is another wasted opportunity in MMO world.

Can't think of anything that died this year that I cared too much for, but I'm sure the MMORPG.com staff could name something.

Aryas

Playing: Ableton Live 8
    ~ ragequitcancelsubdeletegamesmashcomputerkillself ~

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

I smell some foul play.  There were far more categories in previous years, many of them have evaporated and the open format for it has also changed.

I especially don't understand the comment "stellar sales record."  Do you really want to go there?  Rift gave out what 500,000 free copies on launch?  The game was offered for free during Black Friday.  According to Gamrreview Rift hasn't broken 500,000 sales yet.  I was offered a free month, I logged on and got my one year subscription reward... which at this point I have not paid a dime for the game.

The game is horribly bland and although you may want to reward the developers for trying to paint a bland room with a bland color over and over.... it's a nice sentiment for hard work but it's not going to be representative of quality.

If the award was "Developers of the Year" I'm sure more people would agree, but there are so many better MMOs out there.

• Seduce1Seduce1 Member Posts: 1

{mod edit}

You listed only the first 10 weeks of sale.  No one has received 1 year rewards with out paying for it.  I found no information on the giving away of 500k in free copies.  Does the sales figures show digital downloads?  Appears to be in units, which would be copies sold to vendors.

{mod edit}

From a players point of view...

Rift Pros

1.  Soul System

2.  No flying mounts

3.  Difficult content

4.  Attunement instead of raising level cap

5.  World content with decent rewards

Rift Cons

1.  PvP has no viable end game (I'm first world R8 mage, second world R8)  No ranking system to keep people playing the game for the PvP.

2.  Changes made in patches that the desired affect is for PvP usually affects PvE in a negitive way.

3.  Shard Tranfers for entire guilds.  Has a huge impact on world events for PvP servers.  One Faction can control all the new world content.

4.  The much needed inscribed source stones can only be received from World Events, Instant action and rift quests.  Makes it difficult for Raiding guilds whom only want to raid the 20 man content.

I agree with the "Game of the Year" award. 

SW:tOR - Had many players in my guild get the game, play for almost two weeks, and returned to Rfit.  Biggest complaint Graphics, and laggyness with player input response.  Next complaint, appears the game has no viable endgame and that makes for a slow grind to the top to have nothing waiting for you once you get there (What happens whe you get there to fast, I don't consider it a viable complaint yet).  I haven't played, I've never enjoyed the sci-fi genre for mmorpgs.

When it comes to the population issue in Rift, I know some players that have quit the game, however I notice most of the population problems occur when Server Transfers take place.  Guilds chasing each othe around all the PvP servers.  Players traveling from guild to guild across servers.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by bestever

Hey whats this better MMO been looking forever and nothing has done better then Rift. So when you find this mmo let me know.

No offense but I generally find people on this website to be a bit cynical and unwilling to try popular brands, hence why Rift gets game of the year.  I find DC Universe Online to be a better playing experience than Rift.  Red Dead Redemption also released a DLC this year.  World of Warcraft is still quite good after so many years of being around.

Age of Conan in its new free to play package including Godslayer expansion is very fun and still has an active raiding community.

I think a lot of MMO players are looking for one magical game that will satisfy all their needs so they only log into one game every day for 8 hours a day.  They try other games and of course game developers will NEVER be able to make a game for such an insane play power.

Obviously you are looking for a very specific experience otherwise you would find better designed games and many more that are far more fun.

• FrezimiXFrezimiX Member Posts: 1

I vote Shaiya Eternal My username is: pg smartphone17 name is: FrezimiX grz

• miyagiimiyagii Member Posts: 1

I think "The Secret Worlds" is gonna be one of the most sought after games in the first half of 2012 cant wait to play it!

• HydrateHydrate Member Posts: 5

RIFT HAD NO COMPETITION, no wonder it won

• ZirconiaZirconia Member Posts: 9

Rift should have had points deducted for being a short-term experience. In my own case, Rift was good for about 3 months of play. I ran three chars up to end game in that time and found myself bored beyond belief. Sadly, I had paid for 6 months in advance. *sigh* Live and learn. It's just sad that this year was so devoid of decent titles that Rift basically won by default. If Diablo 3 and GW 2 actually make it to release this year, a lot of other games are suddenly going to be hurting.

• knight4lightknight4light Member Posts: 1

why do people keep on saying LoL isnt an mmo. Yes it isn an mmoRPG. but it is a mmo game none the less. same as WoT. all you who dont know what an mmo is really need to look up the different versions of mmo.  and those saying cod and bf3 are more of an mmorpg than lol and wot really need to look at those games. if you can play them without having to be online i dont count them as mmo's.  and what do you know. they ahve single player story mode.  NOT an mmo. just an fps with multiplayer that uses the internet rather than having players side by side. ah... gotta love the good old days of system links.