Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Console Version Verified

2»

Comments

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    A console version of diablo 3 sounds interesting for people who do not have the pc set up. I agree with bill that the pc version is the way to go. Anything on the pc is superior to that of consoles that's the way it is, pcs are far more powerful then consoles hence why almost all games are better on the pc.
  • PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

For any that are wondering, this should run like a champ on just about any PC.  Graphics aren't bad, but they aren't super amazing.  Just like almost all Blizzard titles, they go for quality art style over using advanced video features to makeup for bad art.

:EDIT:

And I agree about the comments on Consoles turning games to crap.  Diablo 3 will probably fit well, but take something like Age of Conan, that was designed to be an MMO for Console and PC.  It was crap.  In all honesty, Skyrim isn't great on console either.  I hate the "pause" mid combat to change out spells and equipment over and over.  They had to do that to make it work on the limited control options console has.  PC, you have zillions of keys, keybindings, mouse, and the list goes on!

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by aovannor

Great that console gamers will be able to get their hands on D3 but i predict the PC version will be far superior. I remember playing Diablo 1 on the PSX and it was annoying having to trail through the inventory and such using a controller.. same for sacred 2 and dungeon siege 3 on the 360.

I'm pretty sure your last two examples are user error, but as for diablo 1, that was a looooooong time ago.  Back when consoles weren't considered as serious as they are now.  Skyrim's console controls are probably superior to the PC's, and depending on how they do targeting, D3's movement could be a lot more enjoyable using an analog stick.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

I'm pretty sure your last two examples are user error, but as for diablo 1, that was a looooooong time ago.  Back when consoles weren't considered as serious as they are now.  Skyrim's console controls are probably superior to the PC's, and depending on how they do targeting, D3's movement could be a lot more enjoyable using an analog stick.

Skyrims controls and interface are "suprior" to PC because they built it for PC.  People have released UI mods that FIX the Skyrim interface to be 100x better.  I'm not trying to argue that PC's or Consoles are better.  Only that the CONTROLS available on PC are better.  Keyboard/Mouse offers a lot more control and buttons than a controller.  But a controller is far better for driving games and fighting games.  It all depends on the type of game.  Would you honestly want to play World of Warcraft (or any MMO) with 3+ hot bars full of abilities, on a console with like 10 buttons?  Some games need a keyboard and/or mouse. 

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

I'm already on the side of the fence that is not buying Diablo 3 at launch anymore.

If the game is built too strongly with the console version in mind, I'll be able to walk away from that fence completely.

If they're building it entirely separate from the PC version (which, being honest here, isn't likely) then I'd still consider buying a while after launch.  Of all companies, Blizzard definitely has the resources to do it right, but if WoW is any example, they're going to get by skating on bare minimum.

• VPgearchinVPgearchin Member Posts: 168

it makes sense monetarily, so not surprising they will add consoles to the list. I'm happy for blizzard, they need another shot at consoles after SC was terrible in its console port, and them canceling SC:ghost.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by TookyG

Everything a console touches turns to crap.  The only game genre that's valid for console play is sports.  (Since 2000 anyway...)

coming from someone who cleary has never played a console in his life, dont worry, us real gamers actually know what were talking about.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

Originally posted by Painlezz

For any that are wondering, this should run like a champ on just about any PC.  Graphics aren't bad, but they aren't super amazing.  Just like almost all Blizzard titles, they go for quality art style over using advanced video features to makeup for bad art.

:EDIT:

And I agree about the comments on Consoles turning games to crap.  Diablo 3 will probably fit well, but take something like Age of Conan, that was designed to be an MMO for Console and PC.  It was crap.  In all honesty, Skyrim isn't great on console either.  I hate the "pause" mid combat to change out spells and equipment over and over.  They had to do that to make it work on the limited control options console has.  PC, you have zillions of keys, keybindings, mouse, and the list goes on!

This man wins. Everything he posted is why everyone should fear this if you're a PC user. If they do it right, there won't be a problem. If they do it wrong, its just another crappy game that you should avoid.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by adam_nox

Originally posted by aovannor

Great that console gamers will be able to get their hands on D3 but i predict the PC version will be far superior. I remember playing Diablo 1 on the PSX and it was annoying having to trail through the inventory and such using a controller.. same for sacred 2 and dungeon siege 3 on the 360.

Don't get me wrong here, I wasn't saying that the games are impossible to play on the consoles. Just that its more cumbersome and time consuming. I could play and use the console versions on the 360 easily enough, but when I played them on the PC is was quicker to see what I have, compare equipment, target what i wanted to, organise inv etc.

Isometric view Action RPGs were designed to be played with a mouse, for targeting flexibilty. On consoles you usually need to have some sort of auto-targeting in use based on what is front of you.. which kinda changes the gameplay slightly and tends to make it more effort to target exactly what you want to. There are suitable work arounds for consoles that work reasonably well but still arn't as good as a good old mouse imo. When there's 15 enemies on screen moving about there is no way you can 'always' target what you mean to on a console without it taking a little more time to do so, whether it be 'tabbing' through targets, having to get them in the 'target area' or using an analog stick like a mouse... it will be more cumbersome than using a mouse. The same applys to picking up items as well, problems occur when there are lots in the same place.

As for Skyrim, I agree with you.. I actually played it on the PC using a 360 controller. But that interface was clearly designed for consoles..and it isn't even the same sort of game as D3.

I'm sure D3 will work fine on consoles, but I can't see it being on the same level as the PC version in terms of UI and actual control.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by TookyG

Everything a console touches turns to crap.  The only game genre that's valid for console play is sports.  (Since 2000 anyway...)

coming from someone who cleary has never played a console in his life, dont worry, us real gamers actually know what were talking about.

Right, believing that nothing good (enough) has come out for consoles in the past 11-12 years means you've never played console games.  And believing that chasing console dollars is ruining PC gaming also means I'm not a real gamer.  How many genres have been gutted by dumbing them down for the console crowd again?  That's right, pretty much all of them.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Originally posted by siphrdamon

it makes sense monetarily, so not surprising they will add consoles to the list. I'm happy for blizzard, they need another shot at consoles after SC was terrible in its console port, and them canceling SC:ghost.

It sounds like you're saying they need a way to make more money, and that consoles are that way.

I'm not suprised you're happy for blizzard by the way, considering your signature says  you've played nearly 2500 hours of world of warcraft heh

• FarScapeFarScape Member UncommonPosts: 185

The very first Diablo was ported to the Original PlayStation1. Infact i stil have a copy sitting with my ps3. For everyone that does not believe me.

http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-Sega-Dreamcast/dp/B000038AAW

So to the person that said that blizz was selling out by branching into the Console market... well ur about 12-13 years to late.

• MonsterMMORPGMonsterMMORPG Member Posts: 74

This is a terrible news. Making a game for also console killing its quality.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I can't say this surprises me but at the same time I don't see this particular game on console being a detriment.

So let's put aside the whole "consoles are for kiddies and pc's are for adults" argument. Though it's true that younger people can more readily afford consoles, I know several adults who use them because:

A, it's cheaper than upgrading your computer all the time and they have other/better ways to use their money

B, consoles have a lot of games created for them so it's good bang for the buck

Now let's look at Diablo.

I'ts pretty much a hack and slash game. The graphics are stylized but not so cutting edge that a console could't handle them and that they have to be cut back significantly by the developer.

The game play is straight forward enough that I don't foresee pc's having to give up much of anything to accomodate what happens with the console controller.

Of course that brings us to interface.

The interface to another game that is available on both console and pc is skyrim. it's horrible on pc. I would say what makes it horrible has less to do with how it's set up and more to do with how buggy and sluggish it is. Of course in certain ways the set up isn't good either but for the most part I believe it's just not put together well.

Compare that to the interface of "Hunted - The Demon's forge". It's not a great game but the interface is very snappy, very immediate on PC. so it is possible to have one that doesn't feel like you are slogging through a mess.

Couple that with "It's Blizzard". Oh, I know that Blizzard can do wrong but I've never seen a Blizzard game that was released in a completely atrocious state. Players might not like what they released or be nitpicky but compared to other games they generally put out a polished product.

I don't think we are going to see Diablo become a mess on release for PC players.

And of course it makes sense for a company to release games on console because there are a lot of console players. One can more easily recoup the investment. So going forward I believe we will see more and more games released on console.

the hope is that good developers will understand that they need to release a good product. The bad would be them releasing a bad pc product, pc gamers not buying it and then devs saying "well, no one buys pc games anymore".

But until that happens with every game I don't think we have anything to worry about with Diablo 3.

You can start worrying when  Diablo 4 is announced.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    There's nothing wrong with consoles alot of the games on them are actually really good, but a diablo 3 on a console? How does that work?

Sounds like diablo 3 is being created for the pc first, if anything it will be a pc port, let's hope.
  • youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Originally posted by Kaneth

They've stated that they have a lead designer for console versions, this has been stated as much in the past. However, it doesn't guarantee that console versions will ever actually appear.

I think the timeframe in which we see a console version will depend on announcements of newer consoles. PS3 and Xbox360 have been around for quite awhile now, and I wouldn't doubt that there will be the next generation of each soon. Nintendo has already shown their next console. I would be willing to bet that we wouldn't see a console D3 until after the new sony and ms consoles are released.

XBL is very strict and limiting when it comes to patching....my bet is ps3 for sure and a slight chance for 360 and i highly doubt they need a next gen system to run D3,pretty sure that aint the case otherwise consoles would be waiting till 2014 for D3.

• StonefalconStonefalcon Member Posts: 37

Smart move from Blizzard. More pockets for them to shove their hands down to grab the change out of them.

"Not meaning to anger anyone with this thread, though I know in these forums its quite impossible. You can say "I enjoy vanilla ice cream" and still have 50 posts of angry, hot-tempered people who have nothing better to do than argue with you." - Dirkzen

• DShepley60DShepley60 Member Posts: 22

Atleast we get to see the New Xbox and Playstation at E3 this year. :)

Ill be buying this just for PC though. And those who whine about the Real Money Auction house are dumb, because this has happened throughout the entire span of Diablo 2 and Diablo 2 LOD, just off-site. Wont be any different except you can earn some side money while playing alot and the transactions are secure with worry free scam.

I dont see why people buy fake stuff to enhance the gameplay when the point of the game is finding that stuff, but I wont complain because Ill just continue to make some pocket change for playing a game I enjoy.

edit: Source of the report for seeing the New Xbox and PS4 at this years E3 as requested from a few PMs.

K games industry outlet MCV has reported that both the next Xbox AND the PlayStation 4 will be shown at this year's E3 in June. This isn't the first time that a publication has cited an unnamed source with information like this, but this isn't some unknown central European games blog - MCV's credibilty makes this particular report worth paying attention to. Speaking on Twitter, MCV's online editor Ben Parfitt said "Obviously we can't reveal our sources. But you have my personal word on this - the source is exemplary, 100% concrete, ultra high level." We shouldn't necessarily expect a full-blown reveal, though - we might just see the announcement. Editor-in-Chief Michael French told IGN: "This is very credible. Even if we don't see the hardware itself, or know a price or date, key publishers and developers are expecting some nod towards what direction PS4 will take at E3 this year. Sony isn't stupid - it knows that if Microsoft is planning to also say something about its next console, it can't be left behind." Many were expecting Microsoft to come out on stage at E3 with some information about the new Xbox, but Sony's reveal would be more surprising, as a new console at this stage in the PlayStation 3's life cycle would fly in the face of the company's stated "ten-year plan". If both Sony and Microsoft do indeed reveal their new consoles at the same time as Nintendo details the release schedule and pricing for the Wii U, this would quite probably be the biggest E3 in history.

http://www.thetechgame.com/News/sid=2932/report-both-new-xbox-and-ps4-will-be-shown-at-e3.html

• indrctindrct Member UncommonPosts: 86

D3 was just ruined for me.

(Personal opinion, don't care about console junkies)

• rsrestonrsreston Member UncommonPosts: 346

Hm.. Now it becomes interesting... I wouldn't buy it play on my PC, but on my PS3... sweet!

• SparkaSparka Member UncommonPosts: 52

Why play TL2? Its seems the game has nothing going for it, no features or fun of any kind....very much like TL1, play for 5 mins, and you've seen it all...  I still havent heard even one single good reason to play TL2.  It's too simple, like Fate, and Mythos...and dont say modding as a reason to play it, I see that as a negative....and no real online play? PASS!

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Originally posted by indrct

D3 was just ruined for me.

(Personal opinion, don't care about console junkies)

My grandparents did not like talkies either...but time moves on.

• c4viper1c4viper1 Member UncommonPosts: 28

Blasfemy ...  :p