Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the MMO community should continue to support SW:TOR

Comments

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by BigBadWolfe

1.) We need to understand that a game that just launched is simply not going to have as much end-game content as a game that's been out for over a 1-6years.

I expect a ford 2012 model to outperform a Ford T. if it doesn't, I'll get a different car.

You don't work in IT do you?

• BigBadWolfeBigBadWolfe Member Posts: 143
    Okay you guys figured me out I was semi-trolling, I don't even like SW:TOR. I was bored, and hearing news that the game wasn't doing too well expectation wise, so I wanted to kick it while it was (briefly?) down.
    It's good to see the MMO market champion innovation over brand recognition, inflated budgets, and cookie cutter gameplay. However I still think Its bad for the industry if this game turns into another Warhammer, because it still has potential.
    What I would like to see is an expansion of the companion system with companion AI capable of learning and interacting with other companions as well as people. I would like the Legacy system make leveling alts a legitimate form of endgame progression a la FFXI. Also whatever ArcheAge is doing with its sandbox ocean voyage can easily be implemented into SW:TORs space combat mechanic.
  • BLOBtheTROLLBLOBtheTROLL Member Posts: 75

It is good thing that swtor fail, maybe other companys will say:"hey big names ea/bioware  didnt make it whit 300 million and best ip in the world star wars whit exect clone of wow , maybe we should try to make something else and uniqe this time no point of making this clone games anymore"

• CripnoahCripnoah Member Posts: 128

Why would you support such mediocrity? They had the biggest budget on any game ever developed and they blew it by churning out something generic again. It is 2012 not 2004; the combat system is just too overdone. Let EA learn from this mistake if TOR starts to dive because I could care less if they plan to make another MMO out in the future.

They played it far too safe developing SWTOR when people are begging for something different.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Okay you guys figured me out I was semi-trolling, I don't even like SW:TOR. I was bored, and hearing news that the game wasn't doing too well expectation wise, so I wanted to kick it while it was (briefly?) down.

It's good to see the MMO market champion innovation over brand recognition, inflated budgets, and cookie cutter gameplay. However I still think Its bad for the industry if this game turns into another Warhammer, because it still has potential.

What I would like to see is an expansion of the companion system with companion AI capable of learning and interacting with other companions as well as people. I would like the Legacy system make leveling alts a legitimate form of endgame progression a la FFXI. Also whatever ArcheAge is doing with its sandbox ocean voyage can easily be implemented into SW:TORs space combat mechanic.

You evil man!

(I know this gif has nothing to do with this thread or anything, but I've been waiting to post it somewhere since this morning)

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Support Bioware's push to single player and coop games that require subs? Are you sewious?

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

Yes, this is the game that i would only play until i finish the story line of my character

as i am already a bit bored as there is literally nothing going on in the world, even the instanced raid is pretty repetitive

and in this case ( i hate to say it, but the Instanced dungeon in SWTOR is way suckier than the one in WoW )

will i sub another month? yes, but as i said, after i finish my IA story, then im done, sorry SWTOR, but, i think even if you spent alot in this game, i think it's still not going to keep a lot of people unless they are the ultimate SW fans )

So What Now?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by Jimmac

Customers staying subbed today for future content and expectations is fucking stupid. Here's the correct order of things:

1. Company makes a game worth playing and paying for.

2. Players pay to play the game.

It works in that order, and not the other way around. It doesn't matter if they spent ten thousand dollars to produce the game or twenty trillion. That's their problem. Make a good product and then people will pay for it. Customers should not be asked to pay for some future product. There is no justifiable reason to stay subbed to a game just because you think your sub will help the game survive longer or will help the company develop more future content. That is absolute insanity and the exact opposite of how business is run. Bioware isn't in this to provide you with entertainment. They are in this to make money as a business. They are not on your side. You are not a team with them.

Bottom line: if you like the game today, stay subbed. If you don't, then don't resub.

Not only that - it's EA, EA don't support or update their mmos, once they're done they're done in EAs eyes.

I agree with you if its a Sony or EA or whatever game.....

...however if it's something from a smaller company like say Perpetuum or Mortal Online or the upcoming Dominus (or a non mmo example minecraft), if you like the game and see it has potential I see nothing wrong with supporting it for future content.

If they go and blow all their budget on cutscenes and voice overs without actually making a mmo underneath it all though, well :P

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by wormywyrm

I don't want games like TOR, I would rather start over with low budget MMOs and see them gain momentum down the right path.  The path layed out by UO --> SWG  --> ???    NOT the path laid out by EQ --> WoW  --> a bunch of really bad rip offs.

The paths which survive are those which are the fittest.

In this case: the best at entertaining large amounts of players.

Natural evolution, really.

Starting over wouldn't change anything. The same games would succeed.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• melton80melton80 Member Posts: 54

I did my part, i bought the game, but it didn't hold my interest way to easy to max level, i am waiting on firefall now.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Okay so I'm hearing a lot of reports from players saying that they like TOR but they don't want to stay subbed to it, or that they are going to cancel and resub back to the game when they've added more content/fixed issues.

DON'T DO THAT.

EA/Bioware spent a lot of money on SW:TOR, I'm hearing estimates around $300 million or so, that's the most money a company has ever tossed at the MMO industry.  You WANT them to toss money at us.  However in order to cover such a big investment, Bioware needs an evern bigger return, and that's where the MMO community comes in.  Unlike other gaming industries, MMOs need to establish a relationship with the playerbase to keep making money, and lately that relationship as soured. A lot of developers think the MMO community has turned into a bunch of loud-mouth, lazy, fickle bunch of spoiled brats.

-SNIP-

- if you dont enjoy something why continue coming back for it and paying for it ?

- Yes they invested a lot of money but for all that money the game offers nothing new to the MMO genre.

- If I buy the latest car from GMH which they spent millions on designing and developing and its a POS why would I buy another car from GMH ?

- The MMO industry as a whole needs to start looking outside the box, not just looking at WoW and going "well that worked for them so lets replicate that in our game". Theres a Reason Indie studios have gained good footholds in the PC games industry and its because the big publishers allowed a large vacumn to form when they ceased innovating and instead turned to churning out the next sequel to a successfull IP or copying a successfull game formula all the while watering it down and letting it become stale.

- In trying to sell any product you must meet the expectations & demands of the consumers, if you dont you will have less customers than you would like.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

I was about to write a long flamatory reply to the op but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Btw: You guys rock. These posts ARE damn hilarious (in a good way).

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

The MMO industry is the only one I know that has customers eagerly willing to pay for half a product based on future promises, empty or otherwise.

"Here's your burger."

"Where's my fries?"

"We'll give them to you next week, we're out of potatos right now."

"But I already paid for the fries."

"Yes but our word should be enough for you."

There's one born every second.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236

If you don't enjoy it we really don't need to encourage it. Most MMO's come out of the box in poor condition.  Some get better, some don't.  But some of the core features of this game are very poor. Yes I'll stay subscribed for now. But I'm talking about needing a NGE  style overhaul to fix this.  You talk about all the money they put in, but where did it go. This was not a groundbreaking MMO by any stretch. And I don't expect Bioware to get it right the first time. Obviously they had more trouble getting out of their comfort zone then I gave them credit for.  EA should have given the money to Mythic, at least they have some games under the belt.

But there is no reason to keep giving your money to them if you don't enjoy it. It's probably a good wakeup call that people want something new, and a fully voiced MMO isn't what they were looking for.   

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Fuck EA. Who gives a shit if they're bothered that an MMO which plays strikingly similar to the majority of the market doesn't do well? Isn't that exactly what should happen? If they don't make any more full client MMO's, or stop paying attention to TOR, it's nothing I'll lose sleep over. Bioware needs to stick to single player games, it's what they do best.

I keep hearing this over and over, like it's a valid excuse, but just because a game is an MMO does not mean it needs to use the same systems of design. This is the reason many of you see comparisons to WoW.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I un-subbed and I don't really care if SWTOR makes it or not. This game I felt was a slap in the face for Gamers.

They should have stuck with single player games but after SWTOR I don't expect BW to release anything good in the future.

No way SWTOR is a 300Million dollar game. So many games come out far superior to this with much less money spent.

• FearmeirlFearmeirl Member UncommonPosts: 231

Okay so I'm hearing a lot of reports from players saying that they like TOR but they don't want to stay subbed to it, or that they are going to cancel and resub back to the game when they've added more content/fixed issues.

DON'T DO THAT.

EA/Bioware spent a lot of money on SW:TOR, I'm hearing estimates around $300 million or so, that's the most money a company has ever tossed at the MMO industry.  You WANT them to toss money at us.  However in order to cover such a big investment, Bioware needs an evern bigger return, and that's where the MMO community comes in.  Unlike other gaming industries, MMOs need to establish a relationship with the playerbase to keep making money, and lately that relationship as soured. A lot of developers think the MMO community has turned into a bunch of loud-mouth, lazy, fickle bunch of spoiled brats.

We need to change our ways and have more realistic expectations of new MMOs if the industry is going to survive. 

1.) We need to understand that a game that just launched is simply not going to have as much end-game content as a game that's been out for over a 1-6years.

2.) We need to understand that if we want new content, we have to pay for it.  If you like the game but want more content, unsubbing isn't going to help, but only make things worse.

3.) We really need to stop comparing everything to WoW.  I think this is self-explanitory.

4.) We really need to stop wishing every MMO that's not your kind of MMO will fail.  Just because I might not like that style of MMO doesn't mean that it should fail, and nobody be allowed to play it.

I'm not a SW:TOR fanboy, I'm just concerned what will happen to the industry if a huge financial investment like TOR can't buy its way into the market.  I can imagine that it's failure will create another black hole, similiar to Warhammer, where the industry was stuck in the dark ages of bad mmos for another 2-3 years.  Or even worse, MMOs turn out to be an unprofitable fad and they pull the plug like they did with the Guitar Hero type games.

So in conclusion if you do like Star Wars: The Old Republc, give them your money.  TOR may not be the best game in the market, or any good at all, but it's definitely super expensive, and it's new, and EA gets really mad if they don't get paid.  We want to keep the relationship between MMO companies and communities good, or they might pull out and go make cheap browser games or something.

Maybe they shouldnt take out a 300million loan to make such a crap game, and expect players to clean up the mess.

What kind of model is that, taking some financial lessons from greece or something?

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

It did not cost 300million why you think a mediocre game cost 300million lol. Well not in million years this game costed 300million maybe max 80 million but seems even unreal.

And i have the feeling your EA or Bioware employee whos payed to come here and beg players to keep there sub hehe.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

Originally posted by Mephster

The mmo genre will never get better if people support rehashed ideas since Everquest. We're supposed to be moving forward not backward.

This.  The fact that they spent so much money making a game that is actually worse in some ways than the failed ones that came before it has me wishing them the worst.   You guys keep buying this crap, you'll keep getting it.   You want to see something new, then make this the most expensive burn a developer has felt to send a resounding message to others that this formula has been over-milked.

I don't expect that to happen though because it's Star Wars.   Remove that from the equation, and rename it Galaxy Online or something, and this game would be seen for the mediocre game it is and it would be the bargain bin in record time.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Originally posted by forest-nl

And i have the feeling your EA or Bioware employee whos payed to come here and beg players to keep there sub hehe.

That's what bugs me the most about this topic, and I don't even feel that this person is employed by Bioware. It's probably just a fan who believes he has a valid argument, though it's absolutely infuriating to me. Like you said, and the poster above you, why would anyone pay to sub to a game which is so mediocre in design when there's already so much available that, most of us, are probably established members of already? More over, why would anyone subscribe to a game they feel is subpar? To keep EA happy and providing content?

It's not our job to protect the companies we buy products from. It's their job to provide something we can justify spending money on, and if they can't do that, they deserve the result. It's like saying we should support sloppy work in hopes that the individual providing it will some day change his tune. Have we learned nothing about EA/Bioware? Dragon Age 2, anyone?

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    I think it's all very simple: if you like an MMO and you're enjoying your time in it, then sub to it, if you don't, then don't sub and move on. Things couldn't be simpler.

Same with non-MMO games. I know some people who had great fun with DA2, well, good for them, to them it was worth the buy. To me, it wasn't, so I didn't purchase, but I did buy the Mass Effect games and had a great time with them, I don't see why I shouldn't buy and play them just bc DA2 wasn't to my own personal taste. As for SWTOR, I'm guessing that without the IP and BW name attached to it, it'd still have been a themepark MMO that would've been regarded by many on the level of gaming fun and quality - to them - that new IP MMO's like Aion and Rift had, but sure, the IP and BW name contribute to the mix on top of that.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

Originally posted by Bunks

Originally posted by xfur24

It may sound shallow, but here's something to think about.

Companies that splurge on mega-marketing teams are just insecure about their product. Let's face it, the internet is filled with so many MMO-NEWS kinda websites and user reviews/gameplay videos are easily accessible. Over-hyping usually ends up with the product being very different from what was being marketed. Look at 2011, a year of over-hyping and stuff like that.. it's pretty sad that the MMO industry turned out like this.

Now that you mention it, rememer this?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-23-if-trailers-told-the-truth-article?page=2

second video down...I couldnt help but laugh.

First I was like... image and then I was like image

Nice find image

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by Pelaaja

Companies that splurge on mega-marketing teams are just insecure about their product. Let's face it, the internet is filled with so many MMO-NEWS kinda websites and user reviews/gameplay videos are easily accessible. Over-hyping usually ends up with the product being very different from what was being marketed. Look at 2011, a year of over-hyping and stuff like that.. it's pretty sad that the MMO industry turned out like this.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-23-if-trailers-told-the-truth-article?page=2

Nice find image

LOL that was hillarious and honestly it's almost exactly what I imagined the developers would be like back at the studios

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

Originally posted by sanosukex

Nice find image

LOL that was hillarious and honestly it's almost exactly what I imagined the developers would be like back at the studios

Second video is amazing!

So true...

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by cagan

Originally posted by sanosukex

Nice find image

Second video is amazing!

So true...

I know...right.   It probably was just like that.