Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Give me 1 thing. that SWTOR Does 100% diffrent or new from any mmorpg every made

Comments

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by wormywyrm

I jus told you that EVERY open world cooperative RPG ever in existance, including all MMO's that include cooperation and role-playing elements will have players grouping and making choices together about what to do and where to go next.

Thats not what he's talking about, he's talking about decisions changing the course of a story in an MMO. Which was a simple answer to a simple question. "Give me 1 thing, that SWTOR does 100% different or new from any MMORPG ever made."

You're not even in the same ballpark here with your reply. This isn't about saying, "where to next?" to your group. 

Actually, wormywyrm is totally correct.  This is because he is basing that the whole gaming experience in other mmorpg's is the story.  Other mmorpg's do not have the story explicityly thrown to the players like in SWTOR... it's what the players do that is the story.  So, players in groups that make decisions on what to do with their group time does, in fact, affect those players' stories.

And, before you start spouting the "We are not talking about a sandbox!" card, this applies to themepark mmorpgs as well.  What the player does with their gametime IS their own story.

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

There's nothing ANY MMO does that is "100% different or new" from past titles. Not WoW, not EVE Online, not Age of Conan, nothing. What this game does improve on is the presentation of a coherent storyline. There has never been an MMO before ToR that has managed to offer the player a well-written, epic storyline that ties to the actual gameplay so well that the player can truly feel like they've impacted the world their character lives in.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Nykyrian

Curious, and i'm talking about a broad veiw i'm not looking for little things like light sabers i mean something completely new... that has never been done or created before.  And before u say voice over quests derp, every mmorpg now a days has a story   

Go?.

Dialogue Wheel

Done.

ps: there is a difference between good story and a bad story. Just because every MMORPG has one, does not mean they are good.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    what's the use of this topic?
    which mmo invented the genre new?

even the first mmos just enhanced the given multiplayer functionality of older ones, took RPG gfx and voila. nothing new basically ^^

same argument could be done for shooters "name one thing that BF3 had that NO other game had!"

that's not the important part in making a new game, you just have to be better than the competition, use a world the audience prefers and make it work.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• cosmocowcosmocow Member Posts: 28

yeah i love it.....its fun lol......

but i am kind of dumbfounded as to why u would even post this thread with a question.....did u really need others to tell u what u seem to already think?

its just a nonsense post....but hey if it gets the people posting on the forums, then thats good lol...hell even i am posting and i usually just read....hats off to ya lol

well back to SWTOR, having a blast....and i guess thats all that matters lol...

P.S

LOL EVERY THREAD IN MMORPG.COMS FORUMS ARE 90% NEGATIVE....SEEMS TO ME MMORPG'S ARE THE WORST FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT...SEEMS THEIR ALL HORRIBLE

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Curious, and i'm talking about a broad veiw i'm not looking for little things like light sabers i mean something completely new... that has never been done or created before.  And before u say voice over quests derp, every mmorpg now a days has a story   

Go?.

I don't know how that matters but can you name me any one MMO that does something 100% different because all MMOS are just improving on features that already exist. For 100% unique stuff you might have to wait forever.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

Frankly I don't play a MMO because it has something new, I play it because it is fun.  SWToR is fun so I play it, end of story!

• CryrothCryroth Member UncommonPosts: 51

Originally posted by fansede

Crafting system is not seen before. using your companions to craft and to sell your junk for you is new

The companion characters that can create or deny you story arcs based on what you decide.

the first sci fi MMO to have a different type of space combat

Unfornatly the crafting system has been seen in many other free to play mmo that done before SWTOR (companion does the crafting and gathering).

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by Cryroth

Crafting system is not seen before. using your companions to craft and to sell your junk for you is new

The companion characters that can create or deny you story arcs based on what you decide.

Unfornatly the crafting system has been seen in many other free to play mmo that done before SWTOR (companion does the crafting and gathering).

What F2P MMOS are those?

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• JeneleaJenelea Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by Shivam

Originally posted by Cryroth

What F2P MMOS are those?

Grand Fantasia has been doing it for a while now. Not sure of the others.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by MattNe

Go?.

I'll takle the bait,

There is nothing new...but...I challenge you to give me 1 new or different game...not since the 90's has there been a 'new' or 'different' MMO.

I agree and wonder why in certain peoples minds something "new" is an issue.  I mean look at the Madden series.  Same game different rosters.

• melton80melton80 Member Posts: 54

Grand Fantasia companions do the crafting in that game and you get 3 at a time to do three crafting and even harvesting the materials at the same time, you also have a storyline with the companions in that game as well, they even have their own little rooms with stuff in it to make crafting and collecting materials better.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

The fact that you can level with your companion as a healer tank or dps as you so wish.

Originally posted by Wicoa

The fact that you can level with your companion as a healer tank or dps as you so wish.

Not new:  Gods & Heroes and Guild Wars did the same.

• HivesHives Member UncommonPosts: 203

The question should be. Did you buy the game? If that is a yes then...................... Umm.

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Originally posted by Vato26

Star Trek online ups this, you can have 4 bridge officers following you around on a map, healing and dpsing for you.  As for the post topic, EVERYTHING done in SWTOR has been done better by others.

Originally posted by Mondo80

Star Trek online ups this, you can have 4 bridge officers following you around on a map, healing and dpsing for you.  As for the post topic, EVERYTHING done in SWTOR has been done better by others.

I knew I was forgetting one.  Thanks for mentioning STO.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

"Done better" is subjective and IMO what makes the MMO market competitive.  Look at all the MMO's listed here and compare that to 10 years ago.  Variety and competition is good.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by daltanious

{mod edit}  Sad thing is how much has grown this thread. Game is awesome, bug free, incredible lore, quality, ... all controls react as should .... Anyway .. when I buy car I go for quality, I do not bother if is using 4 wheels.

Now that is a blantant lie. SWTOR bug free ? I dont think so.

Resource nodes that could not be interacted with and in some places the bug is still there. Crafting resource spawning under the terrain.

Mobs that when in combat will evade once they hit 80% health and go back to their original positions and their health then resets and you start combat all over again.

A horrible bug that will remove the reverse engineering button from your inventry and the only way to get it back is to either open up your cargo hold or go to a vendor.

A companion that wants to talk to you but each time you get to your ship or cantina they refuse to speak. (had this one the other night. Still not resolved.)

Sith Sorcerers being able to stun lock you in pvp, and even with the ability to break that stun they can do it again once their GCD wears off for the skill which is 1.5 seconds, while your immune skill to being stunned or slowed takes something like 3 minutes to cool down.

Level 40 + in the warzones with level 10 to 30. I have seen one  level 50 bounty hunter hold off 10 level 20 to 30 players and win the match because we couldn't break through the door he was guarding. The rest of his team guarded the other door.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by forumtalker

"Done better" is subjective and IMO what makes the MMO market completitive.  Look at all the MMO's listed here and compare that to 10 years ago.  Variety and competition is good.

The problem is that the MMO market as a whole has become corrupt with the "I-want-it-now" complex. Greedy companies have dragged the genre down into an amalgimation of horribly simplistic mechanics that are NOTHING more than a psychological trap for people to keep paying money into for the EXACT same outcome as every other Joe.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237

Originally posted by yewsef

Originally posted by Eir_S

Did it ever claim it was innovative?  I don't recall, and I also don't think so.  If it did, then there's a point to this thread.  Because they didn't deliver.

Bioware CEO in an interview 3 years ago claimed that they will add the 4th pillar of MMORPGs and he called it the Story Pillar.

But you're right, no one claimed that SWTOR is innovative (because it is not innovative and that's not its strong point). SWTOR is a game that you know how it plays before you play it if you're an MMORPG player. No surprises, it's just gives you a WoW fix.

If you hate WoW or got bored of it, you're going to be extremely disappointed. There's no story in the world which will make you play hours and hours of the same game mechanics copies exactly from a previous game that you've spent 5 years playing.

Wrong. Its exactly THAT which keeps me playing swtor over the first month. The character progression story is it all for me and redefines the way MMOs tell their story from now on.

Now lets pick this up and make it new standart for the genre and have someone do a sequel that combines it with more fleshed out story, great GFX (not the plastic dolls we have here) and world changing impact.

*dream*

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Originally posted by forumtalker

"Done better" is subjective and IMO what makes the MMO market completitive.  Look at all the MMO's listed here and compare that to 10 years ago.  Variety and competition is good.

I agree. Though one thing has changed and thats the production costs. Take SWTOR as an extreme example, 80-300 mil is the housenumber i keep hearing. At those costs producing niche MMO that cater to only specific tastes becomes nonviable.

Imho, the golden days of MMOs are over. You simply can't produce, and keep updating, games at the quality(mostly graphics and sound) people expect these days and expect to make money with anything less than atleast a quartermillion active subs(or the equivalent cashflow in a F2P). Just think about how long it has taken to create a new item in UO, and how long it must take in a game like this. Im no graphics designer, but that much is obvious even to me.

EvE is really the most "out there" successfull MMO atm, the rest are either in maintenance mode, going/went F2P or very close WoW mirrors. I think Warhammer was the final straw, it had the backing of a big producer(EA), was done by experienced team that had done a similar pvp focused MMO before and was built on a generally well liked franchise among gamers. It should have been a success, it wasn't though and now everyone is scared of touching the genre with anything but a tried and working formula.

GW2 is really only going as far as it does because its a) the sequel to successful game and b) financially being based on box sales not subscriptions. Not much risk there, getting initial sales never was a problem, even WHO and AOC got plenty of sales/preorders.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

It entertains me!

Hard to believe but an MMO finally got me entertaint again i do not have to sit all day playing the MMO rushing to endgame wondering wtf i am doing.

I play a couple hrs a day have fun like hell and feel like my Character has accomplished something and can stop playing i got my dayly game fix without having wasted the whole day.

I know it might sound strange but thats just what it made different from all the other new MMOs the only other game that gave me the same fix was Skyrim.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Originally posted by Jesterftk

Originally posted by yewsef

Originally posted by Eir_S

Did it ever claim it was innovative?  I don't recall, and I also don't think so.  If it did, then there's a point to this thread.  Because they didn't deliver.

Bioware CEO in an interview 3 years ago claimed that they will add the 4th pillar of MMORPGs and he called it the Story Pillar.

But you're right, no one claimed that SWTOR is innovative (because it is not innovative and that's not its strong point). SWTOR is a game that you know how it plays before you play it if you're an MMORPG player. No surprises, it's just gives you a WoW fix.

If you hate WoW or got bored of it, you're going to be extremely disappointed. There's no story in the world which will make you play hours and hours of the same game mechanics copies exactly from a previous game that you've spent 5 years playing.

Wrong. Its exactly THAT which keeps me playing swtor over the first month. The character progression story is it all for me and redefines the way MMOs tell their story from now on.

Now lets pick this up and make it new standart for the genre and have someone do a sequel that combines it with more fleshed out story, great GFX (not the plastic dolls we have here) and world changing impact.

*dream*

And who would that be? Who would be rich enough besides EA and having the necessary credentials like BW to make an even bigger game? 100-300mil .... what more can we expect? That someone poures a billion into making a MMO on a franchise less well known than SW?

I like the story as much as the next guy really, but its silly if it costs this much money. How many subs do they need to keep making(free?) content at these production costs? I just can't see how we can expect BW will be making expansions etc at THIS quality and required workload while still matching price and quantity with its competitors who just have some intern type up a questtext in their worldbuilder system instead of having to hire a professional soundstudio(3x since its in 3 languages ) ...

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Not sure about "every made", but then again I'm not sure why it matters. I've come to the conclusion people just care to much about games nowadays. It used to be about just enjoying a game. Nintendo, Sega and all that seemed new. It was more of a luxury to play games and when you did, you didn't have social tools to express your feelings. Now, with smartphones and the like becoming the norm, and Facebook becoming an everday use tool, people can express themselves without a face. To me, it just seems to much. Maybe I'm not donating much to this post by saying this, but then again this post just seems irrelevant and uninformational. One to his own I guess!

This discussion has been closed.