Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 million units sold

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/31584/star-wars-the-old-republic/

swtor theoretically passed the 2 million units sold.

Not sure if that was posted, but for a game that is not even a month old, it's pretty good no?

Discuss

eqnext.wikia.com

Comments

• StruggsStruggs Member Posts: 205

It is pretty good. This is missing digital sales correct? or am I mistaken?

imageimage

• melton80melton80 Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by matraque

Not sure if that was posted, but for a game that is not even a month old, it's pretty good no?

Discuss

What does that mean? Aion had more then that many units sold and it is already converting over to the F2P model, 2 million sounds like a lot but nowadays it isn't, there are a few more P2P games that had just as many and more units sold that went F2P just in 2011 alone.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

About 2 mill sold but only 350,000 at peak times. I wonder where the rest of them went ?

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Originally posted by melton80

Discuss
     What does that mean? Aion had more then that many units sold and it is already converting over to the F2P model, 2 million sounds like a lot but nowadays it isn't, there are a few more P2P games that had just as many and more units sold that went F2P just in 2011 alone.

Wasn't aion distribution a lot larger than US/EU?

imageimage

Originally posted by Mephster
    About 2 mill sold but only 350,000 at peak times. I wonder where the rest of them went ?

Europe?

imageimage

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Normally only about 10 - 15% of a MMO user base is online at a given point in time. During rollout, I would expect a slightly higher percentage. Still, that is a huge number of players at the exact same time (WoW is average 250k atm in the West). 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Peak concurrent users is about 10-20% of the player base and always has been. 10% of 2mil is 200k, 20% of 2mil is 400k. Seems like they are there :P. 

20% durring significant events. 

10% normal everyday stuff.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

The number of people who are complaining about the game is going up on all the gaming forums like this one and at the official forums.  I give this game 3-6 months before it's sitting right where Rift is.  It will still make them money, and some people will love it, but it will fail to grab a huge market share.  They would have to start immediately releasing some serious game-changers to turn this around.  And I'm talking about features that stop focusing on the story, and concentrate on GAMEPLAY which they should have done from the beginning.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by Struggs

Good question, retail only sales?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

Discuss

Well, a few things.

2 million is lot of players because there aren't many games that have "millions" of players. You have WoW and then one or two asian games and it's hard to pinpoint how many players they have as they play a lot from public terminals.

Most games are in the hundreds of thousands. It's because of WoW's constant "we have achieved x million" that somehow people think this is commonplace.

However...

I would agree that 2 million sold means nothing in th long run. You are correct that Aion and I'll add Warhammer, sold quite a few and then lost subs.

Of course there are real reason why they lost subs as warhammer had problems and a seemingly a great amount of WoW players rushed to Aion thinking it was WoW 2.0 and were sadly mistaken.

The only thing that is really going to matter are how many subs SWToR can maintain over the coming months. I think there will be a large drop but I also think that many people bought it who probably should have known better or who are power gamers and who have eaten up the content.

Where this game will shine is with the casual gamers.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Discuss

Wasn't aion distribution a lot larger than US/EU?

Yeah it was actually out for about a year in Asia before it ever hit the EU and US. 

Originally posted by MindTrigger

The number of people who are complaining about the game is going up on all the gaming forums like this one and at the official forums.  I give this game 3-6 months before it's sitting right where Rift is.  It will still make them money, and some people will love it, but it will fail to grab a huge market share.  They would have to start immediately releasing some serious game-changers to turn this around.  And I'm talking about features that stop focusing on the story, and concentrate on GAMEPLAY which they should have done from the beginning.

Game has always been marketed as "story driven" and thanks for your marketing tip.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by forumtalker

VGChartz is box sales only, and do not include digital distributions directly from the manufacturers unless otherwise stated. They have some kind of proprietary magic formula to get the box sales. Nobody has disputed their numbers officially that I'm aware of (for instance, EA has never said the numbers were wrong).

Also, that 350,000 online at the same time was also a 'magic formula guess' so we don't really know how many are on at the same time and we don't really know how many accounts were started until Bioware tells us.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Still a good feat to sell 2 mill copies but I think you are correct. If the game bought something new to the genre in a positive way then I could see it having more staying power. You know like giving players something to strive for after the end game. The end game in The Old Republic is too weak.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Vgchartz has always only estimated retail sales. Electronic numbers are much harder to find out. NPD does the same.  

{mod edit}

Back on topic the market cares enough to sell 2 million copies, wait and see what the sub numbers are after the 1st billing cycle.

• SpikeXSpikeX Member UncommonPosts: 76

Game has been out now what 3 weeks?  I don't know about anyone else but our guild activity and number of actives has never been higher.  Everyone that I talk to that is playing the game and not forum trolling loves the game.  I find that the typical user on www.mmorpg.com only likes games that are not yet released.  Go figure.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Peak concurrent users is about 10-20% of the player base and always has been. 10% of 2mil is 200k, 20% of 2mil is 400k. Seems like they are there :P. 

20% durring significant events. 

10% normal everyday stuff.

yeah... I'm not getting the h8ter argument that 350k concurrent users(a number that's completely made up in the first place) is a bad number.  Most people can't play every day whether they want to or not.  And even then they generally work/go to school full time, so even if they play for 4 hours every day, you're only talking about 1/8 of the server time logged on per day.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Originally posted by lizardbones

VGChartz is box sales only, and do not include digital distributions directly from the manufacturers unless otherwise stated. They have some kind of proprietary magic formula to get the box sales. Nobody has disputed their numbers officially that I'm aware of (for instance, EA has never said the numbers were wrong).

Also, that 350,000 online at the same time was also a 'magic formula guess' so we don't really know how many are on at the same time and we don't really know how many accounts were started until Bioware tells us.

350K is not a magic formula guess

http://www.swtorarena.com/statistics/

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

{mod edit}

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

2 months from now u wont see them talking about unit sold instead they will try to hide how many unsub.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Game has always been marketed as "story driven" and thanks for your marketing tip.

Yeah, how's that working out for them, and what is the longevity of this strategy?  The problem is that story cannot replace gameplay in the long run.  It has done a great job of hypnotizing some people who like stories written for kids/teenagers, and those who have never played a real story-driven single player game.  More and more people are getting sick of it, spacebar hammering to get through it, and realizing that the actual gameplay, the part where you go do things, is lackluster to say the very least.

I'm happy for those who like it as is.  The number of people who hold that opinion is quickly shrinking.  This game will ultimately turn out to be a short-term distraction for most, and a complete fail for many others.   It will continue to make money as a niche MMO.  I don't think that is what Bioware was expecting, but it will be the case.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Still a good feat to sell 2 mill copies but I think you are correct. If the game bought something new to the genre in a positive way then I could see it having more staying power. You know like giving players something to strive for after the end game. The end game in The Old Republic is too weak.

SWTOR has changed mmorpgs for many players who now can't go back to the old generation of choiceless text based games with the single OK button anymore.

That said, "end game" logevity is a valid question. I'm not there yet.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

{mod edit}

This very well could be the EA masterplan. Hype and sell KOTRO 3 as an MMO. Sell as many possible, milk as many as possible for a few months sub fees then go F2P, sell as much CS goods as they can before the game dies. Next project, Mass Effect the MMO.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

Originally posted by BigMango

SWTOR has changed mmorpgs for many players who now can't go back to the old generation of choiceless text based games with the single OK button anymore.

That said, "end game" logevity is a valid question. I'm not there yet.

what choice is that when u can pick any of 123 and still go on like anyone else doing exactly same quest and follow same story like everyone else.