Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Console Version Verified

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard Community Manager Bashiok has confirmed via Twitter that a console version of Diablo III is definitely in the works and has officially named the lead designer.

Yup. Josh Mosqueira is lead designer for the Diablo console project.

Blizzard has hinted that this was an "in the works" project, but nothing had ever been officially confirmed...until now.

What about you? Will you play D3 on a console?

Via NowGamer.com

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• warbot7777warbot7777 Member Posts: 110

Wow, interesting. I guess it depends on the recommended specs for PC. If it won't run like a champ on my PC, I'll go XBOX360.

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

great.. that means more delay :)

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

They've stated that they have a lead designer for console versions, this has been stated as much in the past. However, it doesn't guarantee that console versions will ever actually appear.

I think the timeframe in which we see a console version will depend on announcements of newer consoles. PS3 and Xbox360 have been around for quite awhile now, and I wouldn't doubt that there will be the next generation of each soon. Nintendo has already shown their next console. I would be willing to bet that we wouldn't see a console D3 until after the new sony and ms consoles are released.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, I guess Diablo is one of the easier games to port, the controls should be simple enough.

I wont play it at all though, the auction house made me decide to get Torchlight 2 instead. Diablo should be about kicking monster butt, not gear. Not buying it is really the only way to show Blizzard what I think of RMTs.

If however the console version are free of that crap I might buy it for my old PS3 that have collected dust since Guitarr hero became boring.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Loke666
    Well, I guess Diablo is one of the easier games to port, the controls should be simple enough.
    I wont play it at all though, the auction house made me decide to get Torchlight 2 instead. Diablo should be about kicking monster butt, not gear. Not buying it is really the only way to show Blizzard what I think of RMTs.
    If however the console version are free of that crap I might buy it for my old PS3 that have collected dust since Guitarr hero became boring.

I hope there are game pad controls for the PC version...I think this game would rock using a controller versus the keyboard/mouse.

** edit **
    I hope the same thing for Torchlight 2 BTW.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

No reason to not make a console equivalent. I'm sure there will be some PC elitists who will accuse Blizzard of "selling out", but this type of gameplay would feel right at home on a joypad and the game certainly does not feature any kind of graphics that could not easily be displayed on a current gen console system. I hope this attracts a larger market of gamers to the franchise, though I have to wonder if there will be some sort of universal multiplayer system here.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Vryheid

No reason to not make a console equivalent. I'm sure there will be some PC elitists who will accuse Blizzard of "selling out", but this type of gameplay would feel right at home on a joypad and the game certainly does not feature any kind of graphics that could not easily be displayed on a current gen console system. I hope this attracts a larger market of gamers to the franchise, though I have to wonder if there will be some sort of universal multiplayer system here.

Until the next generation of consoles comes out, making a console equivilant holds PC games back in the DX9 era graphics. Yes some of the games offers DX10/11 options, but the games are built and optimized for DX9 since the current gen of consoles are woefully underpowered compared to today's PC standards. It's basically holding the gaming industry back about five years.

So yeah, there's a reason why making a console equivilant has a downside.

Call me a PC elitist if you want, but today's consoles are lacking in the performance department. The next generation is long overdue.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

I'll admit, if this comes out on the supposed new consoles, I absolutely would play this.  But PC first and foremost by a long shot.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by Vryheid

Until the next generation of consoles comes out, making a console equivilant holds PC games back in the DX9 era graphics. Yes some of the games offers DX10/11 options, but the games are built and optimized for DX9 since the current gen of consoles are woefully underpowered compared to today's PC standards. It's basically holding the gaming industry back about five years.

So yeah, there's a reason why making a console equivilant has a downside.

Call me a PC elitist if you want, but today's consoles are lacking in the performance department. The next generation is long overdue.

I agree but its just diablo its not like the graphics are going to be the new standard of graphic greatness, or anywhere even close to that.

C

• jackie28jackie28 Member UncommonPosts: 108

Originally posted by Loke666 Not buying it is really the only way to show Blizzard what I think of RMTs.

So basically you're going to show Blizzard that people who believe in RMT are their target audience?

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

meh, I'll just get Torchlight II instead. 

NOt interest in Diablocraft 3 and its RMT trading and DRM.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Originally posted by jackie28

Originally posted by Loke666 Not buying it is really the only way to show Blizzard what I think of RMTs.

So basically you're going to show Blizzard that people who believe in RMT are their target audience?

Hold on there, tubby.

Read that quote again.

Now take a deep breath, and read it again.

----

With games like Torchlight 2 and Lineage Eternal, Diablo 3 looks like crap, so i'll pass.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yeah, does that sound weird?

If enough don't believe in it the whole thing will go away, and if not it is not a great suffering to play Torchlight 2 instead.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

This doesn't need to come out on 720 or ps4, the graphics don't warrant it.  But if they port it to either/both later I am all in favor of that.  Honestly they could port this game to psp vita and that would rock my mfer socks off.  That would be worth buying a vita alone.

I've honestly been waiting forever for them to port diablo 2 to a console or psp and it just never happened and makes me sad :(

I guess I will be buying this game twice, because I can't wait to play it, and I know people who will only play console games (well except for a couple exceptions), and I want to play with them.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by spaceport

Hold on there, tubby.

Read that quote again.

Now take a deep breath, and read it again.

----

With games like Torchlight 2 and Lineage Eternal, Diablo 3 looks like crap, so i'll pass.

I disagree.  Torchlight 1 was weak, but decent because it's gameplay was diablo 2 based.   I've seen nothing impressive from T2 yet, and lineage, really?  Lineage? lawl.

• CrybloodCryblood Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I will only get this game if it appeared on the vita, which is unlikley.
  • NiurNiur Member UncommonPosts: 47

If this game comes to consoles, then it will be for this generation...not the next. The next wave of consoles could be years away for all we know, whether they are unvieled this year or not. Besides, a game like Diablo 3 doesn't warrant the wait...a 360 and PS3 should handle this game with no problems at all.

On top of that theres every chance that the next generation will be backwards compatible, as the last generation was so its no skin of Blizzards nose to make the game available to console owner asap. Be nice if theres cross platform support as well.

• NiurNiur Member UncommonPosts: 47

Originally posted by adam_nox

I disagree.  Torchlight 1 was weak, but decent because it's gameplay was diablo 2 based.   I've seen nothing impressive from T2 yet, and lineage, really?  Lineage? lawl.

I agree with what you say about Torchlight, but that Lineage Eternal looks strong!

• waterwizardwaterwizard Member Posts: 33

Either I will continue to play Titan Quest Immortal Throne or something will come out that I would rather play. That game will not be Diablo 3.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I had a ton of fun with 2 player diablo 1 on playstation.  This could be a cool console dungeon crawl... These types of games are fun to play with friends.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Originally posted by BillMurphy

I'll admit, if this comes out on the supposed new consoles, I absolutely would play this.  But PC first and foremost by a long shot.

/brofist

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Everything a console touches turns to crap.  The only game genre that's valid for console play is sports.  (Since 2000 anyway...)

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Yuui

meh, I'll just get Torchlight II instead. 

NOt interest in Diablocraft 3 and its RMT trading and DRM.

And you decided to come to this Diablo 3 thread to post this why? 

I don't see why D3 shouldn't come to the PS and Xbox. It's not like the graphics are super high-end...

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Hell after the RMT announcement I'd have thought that noone was even buying D3 anymore? Still, this is not a bad thing. After Blizzard was aquired by Activision it was only a matter of time before we'd see them start making games on consoles. And that's fine. It's their goal (and Bobby's) to make money and that's what they are going to do. Blizzard has been making PC games for how long? I know Warcraft: Orcs and Humans came out in 1994 so that's at least ~18 years so far. We're not going to see a bad PC version. If anything, it could perhaps be the console users that have a hard time adjusting (I know I did at first when I tried playing DCUO on my PS3 and trying to use the skill bar with the whole mix of holding a trigger then pressing buttons for one side then another trigger for the other side).

If people seriously think this will gimp the PC version, here's an idea. Vote with your wallet. Don't buy it/wait for reviews.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Great that console gamers will be able to get their hands on D3 but i predict the PC version will be far superior. I remember playing Diablo 1 on the PSX and it was annoying having to trail through the inventory and such using a controller.. same for sacred 2 and dungeon siege 3 on the 360.

So, if someone gets this for a console when they could have got it for PC then I'll have a hard time understanding why.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.