Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout Online: Court Rules That Rights Belong to Bethesda

Comments

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Bethesda wont create an MMO because they would lose the crutch they've relied on for over 10 years now: their modders.

Their systems and mechanics have next to no cohesion with one another and this is in a controlled singleplayer enviornment.  Could you even imagine the disaster a multiplayer title would have?

This is just legal bullying.  If they really wanted this, they could have taken it long ago.  They're going to sit on this for a long time or at least until Zenimax buys up a competent multiplayer development team, because current Bethesda would be incapable of such a task.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by Thillian

Originally posted by yaminsux

Only if the guys at obsidian (the original devs) worked on FO, then it'll be good. If it is only bethesda, i'm afraid it'll be another skyrim with guns (lol it used to be oblivion with guns).

The original devs of Fallout 1 and 2 ARE NOT IN OBSIDIAN. The original creators of Fallout 1 and 2 are Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky and Jason D. Anderson. After Black Isle they went to create TROIKA GAMES. After TROIKA GAMES they split and are working on separate projects, HOWEVER NONE of them WENT TO OBSIDIAN. Stop spreading lies.

So in other words you think that a game only takes 3 people to develop, time to get a reality check.

Black Isles was disbanded and formed Obsidian, whether those 3 people left beforehand is irrelevent, as the rest of the team is at obsidian, so maybe you should fact chekc before calling other people liars.

unless somehow they dont count as developing the game for whatever reason youll probably try to make up.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Those three names I mentioned were just for illustration of lead designers, since Cain was lead programmer, Boyarsky and Anderson were lead artists plus Taylor was lead designer (also not in Obsidian -- in fact Taylor is back in Interplay working on Fallout Online).

I have the printed manual of Fallout 1 in my hands right now, Section - Credits with a list of names participating on development of Fallout 1 (about 40 people). Next to it is my monitor with the electronic manual of Fallout New Vegas - Section Credits. And guess what. NOT A SINGLE FUC**NG NAME MATCH. NOT a single developer from Fallout New Vegas worked on Fallout 1 ACCORDING to the GAME MANUALS' CREDITS, (apart from Urquhart, which was not a developer, but a producer). If you go name by name and google the developers of F1 -> their future projects are mostly related to Arcanum, Greyhawk and Vampire:TM Bloodlines (later Troika projects). 

Everyone who was playing video games already at that time, apparently not you, know that Fallout creators WENT OFF FROM INTERPLAY TO ESTABLISH TROIKA GAMES AND NOT OBSIDIAN.

REALITY CHECK

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

oh well and there goes to the abyss the fallout MMO..... guess its RIP Fallout a good IP killed by the hands of the bethesta who lacks creativity and vision

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Only if the guys at obsidian (the original devs) worked on FO, then it'll be good. If it is only bethesda, i'm afraid it'll be another skyrim with guns (lol it used to be oblivion with guns).

The original devs of Fallout 1 and 2 ARE NOT IN OBSIDIAN. The original creators of Fallout 1 and 2 are Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky and Jason D. Anderson. After Black Isle they went to create TROIKA GAMES. After TROIKA GAMES they split and are working on separate projects, HOWEVER NONE of them WENT TO OBSIDIAN. Stop spreading lies.

Seems your knowledge is outdated

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/12/tim-cain-obsidian/

Obsidian now has mostly all of Black Isle people , what will they make ... its question

Right now they are doing South Park RPG ... so , well ...

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211
    The Elder Scroll Online would work way better then Fallout Online.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by warmaster670

So in other words you think that a game only takes 3 people to develop, time to get a reality check.

Black Isles was disbanded and formed Obsidian, whether those 3 people left beforehand is irrelevent, as the rest of the team is at obsidian, so maybe you should fact chekc before calling other people liars.

unless somehow they dont count as developing the game for whatever reason youll probably try to make up.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Those three names I mentioned were just for illustration of lead designers, since Cain was lead programmer, Boyarsky and Anderson were lead artists plus Taylor was lead designer (also not in Obsidian -- in fact Taylor is back in Interplay working on Fallout Online).

I have the printed manual of Fallout 1 in my hands right now, Section - Credits with a list of names participating on development of Fallout 1 (about 40 people). Next to it is my monitor with the electronic manual of Fallout New Vegas - Section Credits. And guess what. NOT A SINGLE FUC**NG NAME MATCH. NOT a single developer from Fallout New Vegas worked on Fallout 1 ACCORDING to the GAME MANUALS' CREDITS, (apart from Urquhart, which was not a developer, but a producer). If you go name by name and google the developers of F1 -> their future projects are mostly related to Arcanum, Greyhawk and Vampire:TM Bloodlines (later Troika projects). 

Everyone who was playing video games already at that time, apparently not you, know that Fallout creators WENT OFF FROM INTERPLAY TO ESTABLISH TROIKA GAMES AND NOT OBSIDIAN.

Tim Cain 

Obsidian Entertaiment (October 2011 - Today)

Tim Cain joined Obsidian Entertainment as senior programmer.[8]

The problem isn't that others are spreading lies, the problem is you simply haven't done the research that others have and instead of checking on these things yourself you jumped in with outdated knowledge. 

Don't lash out without checking to see if you are correct first. 

Originally posted by uohaloran

Bethesda wont create an MMO because they would lose the crutch they've relied on for over 10 years now: their modders.

Their systems and mechanics have next to no cohesion with one another and this is in a controlled singleplayer enviornment.  Could you even imagine the disaster a multiplayer title would have?

This is just legal bullying.  If they really wanted this, they could have taken it long ago.  They're going to sit on this for a long time or at least until Zenimax buys up a competent multiplayer development team, because current Bethesda would be incapable of such a task.

/sigh ........... 

For the last time ............ 

Who are you guys? 

We're the best kept secret in the gaming industry… But, seriously, we're the online game development studio of ZeniMax Media, who also owns Bethesda Softworks. So think of us as the multiplayer-focused Bethesda Softworks. 

Our President was one of the founders of Mythic Entertainment and was the producer of Dark Age of Camelot and lots of other titles there. Our team is made of many other people who worked at Mythic, as well as NCsoft, Firaxis, Sony Online, EA, and Bethesda Softworks. ZeniMax Online's staff had leadership roles on popular MMOGs like Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online, Star Wars: Galaxies, Ultima Online, and The Sims Online. 

Suffice it to say, we are very experienced and are looking forward to making the best MMOGs possible.

They already have an MMO development team and it sports some big names with lots of experienced talent.  They';ve been working on an MMO for a few years now. This was confimed a long time ago. 

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

Screw you, Bethesda. The only reason your Fallout games became popular is because you ripped off the setting and storyline of the Interplay titles. Absolutely everything that made the presentation in Fallout 3 and New Vegas great was based off or borrowed from Fallout 1, 2, and other material like Van Buren. There isn't one memorable organization, enemy, or piece of equipment in ANY of the 3D games that Interplay did not create first. You owe EVERYTHING for your successes with Fallout to the work done by the original Interplay teams. Your continuing hostility to the one company that could have created some new and original content for Fallout is going to doom the franchise to eventual obscurity.

• 32style32style Member UncommonPosts: 24

Interplay ripped off the rights that were orignally theirs. And seriously, Fallout 1/2/Tactitcs were the best Fallout games, period. The shit bethesda made is just embarrassing. I feel sorry for Interplay after all they've done for us, gamers. "For gamers, by gamers."

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

NOT a single developer from Fallout New Vegas worked on Fallout 1 ACCORDING to the GAME MANUALS' CREDITS, (apart from Urquhart, which was not a developer, but a producer). If you go name by name and google the developers of F1 -> their future projects are mostly related to Arcanum, Greyhawk and Vampire:TM Bloodlines (later Troika projects). 

Tim Cain 

Entertaining that you've made an effort to provide 3 links to the same article, which doesn't change the fact that Tim Cain didn't work on Fallout New Vegas, since he joined Obsidian only 2 months ago, am I right?

Anyway, that makes two of the original creators now in Obsidian instead of one (or more precisely, one developer and one producer). Just because there's Tim Cain now doesn't mean that Obsidian is the original creator of Fallout. Boyarsky, who was the lead artist of Fallout is now working in Blizzard on Diablo 3, so you might as well call Blizzard the original creator of Fallout franchise.  Similarly, another original creator of Fallout is Turtle Rock Studios with Jason D. Anderson, who was main artist of Fallout, but also the Interplay of course, where's Chris Taylor now, the lead designer of Fallout. In fact, there's about 40 original creators of fallout, and I guess you wouldn't mind, if all of them begin labelling themselves as the original creators of Fallout.

REALITY CHECK

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

WOot, congratulations to Bethesda. We may actually have a chance at a decent FO MMO. 

Edited to Clarify something. People keep falsely claiming Bethesda is Anti Multiplayer and Anti MMO. This simply is not true. 

Who are you guys? 

We're the best kept secret in the gaming industry… But, seriously, we're the online game development studio of ZeniMax Media, who also owns Bethesda Softworks. So think of us as the multiplayer-focused Bethesda Softworks. 

Our President was one of the founders of Mythic Entertainment and was the producer of Dark Age of Camelot and lots of other titles there. Our team is made of many other people who worked at Mythic, as well as NCsoft, Firaxis, Sony Online, EA, and Bethesda Softworks. ZeniMax Online's staff had leadership roles on popular MMOGs like Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online, Star Wars: Galaxies, Ultima Online, and The Sims Online. 

Suffice it to say, we are very experienced and are looking forward to making the best MMOGs possible.

But Bethesda is anti Multiplayer and Anti MMO right?

Yep these are the yahoos that also broke DAoC and refused to fix it with their Atlantis expansion.  So don't hold your breath, the word "experienced" does not mean capable.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by Ozmodan

WOot, congratulations to Bethesda. We may actually have a chance at a decent FO MMO. 

Edited to Clarify something. People keep falsely claiming Bethesda is Anti Multiplayer and Anti MMO. This simply is not true. 

Who are you guys? 

But Bethesda is anti Multiplayer and Anti MMO right?

Yep these are the yahoos that also broke DAoC and refused to fix it with their Atlantis expansion.  So don't hold your breath, the word "experienced" does not mean capable.

Simply put I would trust Zenimax Online with the Fallout IP before I would trust Masthead Studios who already had their chance and failed with their own post apocalyptic MMO "Earthrise". With that said I don't think Zenimax Online will be developing the Fallout MMO, not until they at least have one MMO under their belts, though you never know. As long as Zenimax pulls Fallout from development I'll be happy as I don't trust Masthead Studios with such a popular IP.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by wormywyrm
    I am confused, why do you guys think there will be a FO MMO?  The primary chance of one just got shot down in a lawsuit.

Better that there be no Fallout MMO than there be a Fallout MMO done by Masthead Studios.

Also, if you want to play Fallout Online 2238 (http://fonline2238.blogspot.com/) you need to buy Fallout 2 before 2013, when Interplay's license to sell the game runs out.

** edit **
    You can get it on Steam for $10 http://store.steampowered.com/app/38410/.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Anyway, that makes two of the original creators now in Obsidian instead of one (or more precisely, one developer and one producer). Just because there's Tim Cain now doesn't mean that Obsidian is the original creator of Fallout. Boyarsky, who was the lead artist of Fallout is now working in Blizzard on Diablo 3, so you might as well call Blizzard the original creator of Fallout franchise.  Similarly, another original creator of Fallout is Turtle Rock Studios with Jason D. Anderson, who was main artist of Fallout, but also the Interplay of course, where's Chris Taylor now, the lead designer of Fallout. In fact, there's about 40 original creators of fallout, and I guess you wouldn't mind, if all of them begin labelling themselves as the original creators of Fallout.

Thillian, I appreciate your insistance for accuracy when it comes to the careers of Fallout designers.... But don't you think you're really selling Obsidian's ties to the original Fallout series short by keeping this limited to just the first game? After all, most fans of the original series don't really separate the first game from the second (and some of them even hold the second game in higher regard), and it's a fact that at least two key players from Fallout 2 now work in Obisidian. 

One is Feargus Urquhart, and the other is Chris Avellone, of course.

Along with Tim Cain now joining the team, I would say Obsidian definitely is the development house with the strongest ties to the original Interplay / Black Isle Fallout games.

Anyway, I don't think Bethesda is looking to make a Fallout MMO, or even pass it over to another company like Obsidian (though I would really love it if Obsidian did make an MMO). I'm guessing it's been quite some time since Zenimax Online has started working on their secret MMO project, and it'd be just too risky and foolish to base it on an IP with such legal problems.

NOT a single developer from Fallout New Vegas worked on Fallout 1 ACCORDING to the GAME MANUALS' CREDITS, (apart from Urquhart, which was not a developer, but a producer). If you go name by name and google the developers of F1 -> their future projects are mostly related to Arcanum, Greyhawk and Vampire:TM Bloodlines (later Troika projects). 

Tim Cain 

Entertaining that you've made an effort to provide 3 links to the same article, which doesn't change the fact that Tim Cain didn't work on Fallout New Vegas, since he joined Obsidian only 2 months ago, am I right?

Your right, I provided 3 links to the same article....... well not really..... one was to the wiki, one was to the article from Rockpaper Shotgun, and one was to massively giving you 3 different sources to refute the fact that you claimed Tin Cain does not work for Obsidian. 

No Tim Cain didn't work on FONV, never said he did. Your the one that said people were lying when we said he was now a part of Obsidian lol, was just correcting you. 

And your right........ Tim Cain was the producer of FO 1, as well as the lead programer, as well as the lead designer....... but I know you didn't want to say that as it goes against what your trying to do here. Recheck your facts btw Tim Cain was the lead designer of FO. 

Jason Anderson did the engine (Which I wouldn't trust him to do it in today's industry sorry), game world (Here he might still be good), and interface (Same as game engine). 

Chris Taylor isn't even part of the big 3 lol. Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky and Jason D. Anderson were the key 3 behind Fallout. 

And yes.... Chis Taylor is back at Interplay working on the new FO MMO..... oh wait lol, not anymore. So yes.... Interplay managed to get the second string designer back.... congrats but how does that refute anything at all I claimed?

Thats also not even touching on the guys behind FO2 that are part of Obsidian :) 

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Fallout was only cool because it made you FEEL like you were in an apocalyptic world because there was NO ONE arround. or at least very very few people.

put a few thousand people in there spamming local chat with LFG, and crowding the vendors/ah wile bunny hopping to Chuck Norris jokes and the whole feeling will evaporate. the same thing happened to Fallen Earth. sure it was cool but will a whole bunch of people running arround it never felt anything like Fallout.

imo it would be incredibly hard to recreate the true apocalyptic feeling in an mmo......unless you call it DF :D

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by Distopia

I know FO is a popular and long-loved IP, but IMO it could serve as a very good Guinea Pig for trying their hand at designing an MMO with the bethesda school of thought, paving the way for a solid TES MMO. One can dream, anyway.. :)

TES would never work as an MMO. Unless you don't mind lossing 90% of the RP. Seriously, could you imagine the 'world' you couldn't have an open world unless you want the players to do the robot as they move. Not to mention all of the TES (at least Morrowind+) have been centered around "The One". So how can there be many "The One"s?

However! TES would make an awesome Co-op, where you and your friends take on the roles of a small band of heroes.

In fact, I think we can all agree that this should be done first. I've seen it cut pretty much down the middle when it comes to "should Skyrim be multiplayer". About half say "yes" rest say "no". So you don't want to go an make a TES MMO and have it fall flat on it's face and tarnish not only the IP but also the company.

Fallout w/ Co-op...mmm, that could be fun.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• GoombassaGoombassa Member Posts: 1

Skyrim -> Buggy

Bethesda MMO -> Really Buggy

I feel this will be an Age of Conan Reenactment 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

im not a fan of fallout series so i will most likely not play a fallout mmo. On the other hand, an mmo based on Elder Scrolls IP, that would rock my boat as good as Skyrim is rocking it for me

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

I dont know much about it, but Interplay made Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics? And Bethesda made Fallout 3? So.. how does that give Bethesda the rights to the game? Surely the people who came up with the original idea, turned that idea into a successful game, made a successful sequel, and made a successful addon should have the rights, over someone who came late to the party, looked at their ideas and went "ooh, how about we make a third game!".

I mean, if I just decided to make Terminator 5, would that automatically now give me the rights to the entire Terminator franchise? I dont get it.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by eyelolled

good news

+1

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

I hope zenimax dies in a fire.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by jayanti
    I dont know much about it, but Interplay made Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics? And Bethesda made Fallout 3? So.. how does that give Bethesda the rights to the game? Surely the people who came up with the original idea, turned that idea into a successful game, made a successful sequel, and made a successful addon should have the rights, over someone who came late to the party, looked at their ideas and went "ooh, how about we make a third game!".I mean, if I just decided to make Terminator 5, would that automatically now give me the rights to the entire Terminator franchise? I dont get it.

Welcome to the United States. Here, you can buy ideas. Once purchased, you own them. Also, if you don't like what someone is doing with your idea, you can sue them. If they have managed to bork the idea by not following through on their contract, or by forgetting to get the right to release the idea to the public stipulated in the original contract then you can successfully sue them.

Interplay wasn't writing Fallout Online - Masthead was. The game would have been horrible. Better it dies now than after Interplay/Masthead gets done butchering it.

My personal opinion on the whole thing is that Fallout 3 was awesome and having a Fallout Online based on Fallout 3 would be pretty awesome too. It doesn't seem like that will happen though.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by 32style

The shit bethesda made is just embarrassing.

Ya, im sure there real embarassed for resurecting a dead franhcise into something even more succesful, by making fun to play games.

Better than what interplay did, or does your selective memory make you forget the l;ast fallout game that came out under interplay?

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• armanth13armanth13 Member UncommonPosts: 36

Originally posted by kakasaki

WOot, congradulations to Bethesda. We may actually have a chance at a decent FO MMO. 

If it is anything like the FPS crap Bethesda has done to the series, count me out. image

I hear you there, the fps fallouts were descent and if they weren't the "fallout" series it might have been accepted better by me, but where is the max gore perk, and the humor, the truly wacky random encounters with things like a shuttle team from the enterprise or the velvet elvis painting next to the ufo.  If they release a fallout mmo and it's not like it should it'll bomb by true fans of the IP.