Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The 2011 Players' Choice Awards

Comments

• senadinsenadin Member UncommonPosts: 247

Not sure why ArcheAge is in the list. The game doesnt even release in North America....

maybe it will maybe it wont, we simple dont know.

Do i think it stand to be something great? yeah fore sure but it does not deserve to win/be nominated  any award based on that premise.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Calerxes

How about players that think SW:TOR is innovative? but nah that cannot be there's alway a comspiracy isn't there, where's me tin hat.

Whatever, the most innovative game released in 2011 is kinda like have a food vote on a gourmet site and have the choice between Big Mac, Whopper and similar products.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

GW2 should be up for every award because it's GW2 and it's the best game ever even if it's not out yet.

This is not a game.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

I really liked Rifts when I played it, but my friends and I were so amped about Star Wars that I never paid that much mind. Now that Star Wars has come out and it ended up so bland and average, maybe it's time to give that game another shot.

This is going to be a great year for MMOs though.  EA's first salvo with SWTOR was a little weak, but the more I learned about who was developing the game, the more I realized that getting my hopes up would only result in disappointment. 

The Secret World and Guild Wars II at least both have features that they can point to and say "This is what we are doing to make the game play different than what you are used to."  My bet is that The Secret World will be the game that gets the win for me.  Tera and Wildstar are definitely contenders as well. It'll take a miracle for me to stick with Star Wars though. 

And I loved seeing Glitch up there.  For what it is, Glitch is pretty awesome. 

ROFL at people voting for SWTOR as being innovative.  I mean... c'mon!  All they did was add BioWare storytelling... bad and formulaic BioWare storytelling... to Warhammer Online then gussied it up with lightsabers and spaceships. 

Originally posted by senadin

Not sure why ArcheAge is in the list. The game doesnt even release in North America....

Do i think it stand to be something great? yeah fore sure but it does not deserve to win/be nominated  any award based on that premise.

Because this is a international site and the world actually (*gasp*) is larger than the USA?

There is nothing that stops games thet only releases in other parts of the world to get a award.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Calerxes

How about players that think SW:TOR is innovative? but nah that cannot be there's alway a comspiracy isn't there, where's me tin hat.

Whatever, the most innovative game released in 2011 is kinda like have a food vote on a gourmet site and have the choice between Big Mac, Whopper and similar products.

That's a great way of putting it.

Also how could you consider these as player choices when the games listed are nominated by YOU and not the players?

Seriously your site is losing more and more credibility lately. Considering i've been here for quite many years i've seen it go from good to real bad! From poorly constructed articles with articles that arent even proofread for errors and english isnt even my first langauge! To totally bias stories.

Originally posted by red_cruiser

ROFL at people voting for SWTOR as being innovative.  I mean... c'mon!  All they did was add BioWare storytelling... bad and formulaic BioWare storytelling... to Warhammer Online then gussied it up with lightsabers and spaceships. 

WAR is PvP centered, TOR is PvE centered so pick another game as example. 

The games play differently, WOW and Rift are closer to TOR than WAR playstyle wise.

• wvmaxfangvwwvmaxfangvw Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by red_cruiser

Recipe for SWTOR

1 Can Bioware Storytelling

1 Generic MMO Skill/Combat system, seperated. Discard Auto-attack or save for later use.

1 Box of Lightsabers

Mix well, serve over WoW gameplay with a side of StarFox 

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by senadin

Because this is a international site and the world actually (*gasp*) is larger than the USA?

There is nothing that stops games thet only releases in other parts of the world to get a award.

Eh trust me i am not saying that to boost the US ego... i am not even from there. However the target audience of this site is westerner. If the site was trully international in scope, this list would be mostly Korean and Asian MMO. We like to think that western MMO are huge, they arent bad, but there's a lot of asians out there and they LOVE their MMO.

So it's why i am saying ArcheAge should not be in this list. I want that game to come to these shores bad but until it is announced, the votes, perhaps to the exception of most anticipated are pointless. Just like the really innovative game in that bunch was Glitch, yet it probably wont win....

• DeliambermadDeliambermad Member Posts: 1

wth is WoW doing here???

The secret world? does anyone still believe in funcom??

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

How can SWTOR be considered in some categores and not others? I get it: It's not in the "Game of the Year" category beause it's only been released 11 days in 2011.   So, how is it in any other category then?  

Imagine the most critically acclaimed movie in 2011 considered for "Best Sound" but not for "Best Picture".  "Oh, we'll consider it for best sound THIS year, but best picture NEXT year."  

Whoever posts "MMORPG Game of the Year" in their advertising in 2012 better thank their lucky stars that SWTOR wasn't even nominated.

I don't see anyone beating GW2 next year for this category, so basically SWTOR is out of luck.

Originally posted by Qazaam

How can SWTOR be considered in some categores and not others? I get it: It's not in the "Game of the Year" category beause it's only been released 11 days in 2011.   So, how is it in any other category then?  

Imagine the most critically acclaimed movie in 2011 considered for "Best Sound" but not for "Best Picture".  "Oh, we'll consider it for best sound THIS year, but best picture NEXT year."  

Whoever posts "MMORPG Game of the Year" in their advertising in 2012 better thank their lucky stars that SWTOR wasn't even nominated.

I don't see anyone beating GW2 next year for this category, so basically SWTOR is out of luck.

It's ok, MSNBC gave it GOTY award..... =P it deserves a good LULZ!

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by Qazaam

Especially in the "most innovative" category, life irony is gigantic.

• CistaCistaCistaCista Member Posts: 26

Only 5 options in G o t Year?

I could not vote for any of them :;

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Somehow, I get the feeling that a lot of people have never played DC Universe Online. It was the only innovative game this year. I guess it's just a popularity contest anyways. 

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

That awkward moment when all nominatees for the most inovative are WoW and its clones.

• pit101pit101 Member UncommonPosts: 68

Everyone vote wow, and lets watch the outrage

• yoshikwallayoshikwalla Member Posts: 1

2011 wasn't a year for new, quality releases for me. It was more of a year for old games to become golden (Lineage II, Final Fantasy XI, RuneScape Everquest II?) and recent releases to get better, RIFT being a prime example.

So I'm taking a look at the list of the most "innovative MMORPG," and all I'm seeing are WoW and its clones (Don't start the WoW clone argument -  these newer games use WoW as an example in their development and their very being, therefore being WoW-clones. WoW was an Everquest clone in its time, however). But it's understandable why these are on the list - there was close to no mainstream innovation in 2011, ending with the giant multi-million dollar WoW-clone (read above) that is Star Wars: the Old Republic.

I voted for RIFT because the developers did so well to update the game on a regular basis. Yeah, RIFT is a WoW-clone... but a regularly-updated one and, despite not actually playing the game due to not beign in my fasaad, I have friends who play it and from what I've seen and heard, Trion did a great job compared to the other developers, closely followed by JaGeX (for finally fixing 99 perecent of the botting issue that plagued RuneScape for years).

So yeah... go RIFT. Unorignal game, original developers.

• Omni1rbbOmni1rbb Member Posts: 83

Why is World of Warcraft an option in TWO categories????  What the hell... 

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

How the hell is TOR not nominated for Game of the Year?

And DCUO and LotRO is?

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Shayde

And DCUO and LotRO is?

TOR was only out for 15 days. Get over it.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Originally posted by Shayde

And DCUO and LotRO is?

Becuase SWTOR is not a good MMO. More like a multiplayer game with story. Massive it is not with all the sharding they do.

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427

So according to the same people who created this vote, SWTOR isn't a 2011 year game so it can't be in the 2011 Game of the year section but is still in the 2011 Innovative section... hm Inconsistency 101.

Btw voted Rift for innovation. People here seems to forget a lot about what Trion without hype and history actually achieved and it was better than others this year, and it owns simply SWTOR in innovation, gameplay and dynamic world with related group/raid informal join that was really cool... rifts mechanisms and invasions come to mind of course. It's simply a better and more polished non-instanced mmo and developers are better and quicker than Bioware. Now let SW/Bioware FANBOIS spread their fury and lies all over the internet, real mmo lovers know better and stick to reality.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Thorbrand, you claim TOR isn't a good MMO and  DCUO is on the list???

That's comedy right there.

MyPreciousess is 100% right. How can it be considered in the innovative categoy and NOT in the Best category. You're considering it a 2011 game in one, and not a 2011 game in the other? That's bats#!t crazy. That, and it shouldn't be "anticipated".. it's HERE!

Huge error in the whole poll. Let's have some constincancy. Don't care what your opinion is on TOR, it's either a 2011 or 2012 game, not both.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

This discussion has been closed.