Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The 2011 Players' Choice Awards

Comments

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I ignored "Most Innovative" and "Game of the Year" because lol, those choices...

EDIT: Actually, I changed my mind. I've selected DCUO for most innovative, why? Well it occured to me, innovative doesn't necessarily mean 'better' or even 'good.' SoE managed to take a beloved IP filled with some of the most memorable and iconic characters in the world, loved by fanboys as dedicated or more than SWTOR...fuck it up, and go F2P within a year. I mean, damn...that took skill.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Best Hybrid: None of those are on my radar  

Rising Star: Archeache, no competition...  This game could be huge

Most Innovative:  E: NONE OF THE ABOVE (devs you all fail)

Most Anticipated: Planetside 2, ArcheAge, and Guild Wars2

Game of the Year: EVE Online (its not that you win but everyone else loses)

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Since SWTOR actually released in 2011 i chose it as the most anticipated even tho it is crappy imo and definitely not deserving of awards concerning quality. I would have definitely chosen GW2 for that slot if it had actually released even an open beta but here we are still waiting for them to make the final changes to the trait system before we can get into an open beta.

Originally posted by NMStudio

I gotta say that it's BS not including SWTOR for game of the year.

nah after the fact that not a single website or magazine gave them even a "needs work" rating on a single category, they definitely needed to be honest and leave that off for SWTOR because let's face it, it may have been the most polished launch but it definitely was not even a B much less the A's they all gave to this poor excuse of a game. Sorry.

• BrodanBrodan Member UncommonPosts: 31

Originally posted by BillMurphy

We stick by not including SWTOR, for the simple reason that it came out 11 days before the year was over. 

Thank God some people still have common sense.

Originally posted by darker70

Are they serious most innovative WOW,Rift did they suddenly take leave of their senses or is the standard of journalisim dropping faster than SOE stock after the NGE,also SWTOR,DC is not innovation i think they need to consult a dictionary fast !!

being that these are the only real choices i'd say it's honest to put them up there, tho WoW would have never been under that category normally, they do occasionally put some minor enhancements into the ui. They did change some things in the industry, and trust me i'm not a fan of their recent expansion or the problems their Dev Ghostcrawler has caused for the players, by ANY means.

Originally posted by dreamscaper

Rift is currently leading by a heavy margin, despite the fact that the game does very little  that most of us consider innovative. Is it a good game? Sure. Does it deserve an award for innovation? No way in hell.

This should have been a fairly easy win for Glitch, but unfortunately player's choice awards tend to be more like popularity contests than valid award competitions.

Rift has a better chance of being the most innovative then the rest, and that's really sad i agree that this game the one that only added two new things to the genre got the most innovative. SWTOR that didn't add anything new or innovative to the genre (things that weren't found in other games) should have never been on that list. Seriously, EVERYTHING they did was from another game, they just put it together into theirs and what's funny is they didn't even include in their game the innovations Blizzard, Turbine, and Trion came out with in theirs that did actually make gaming much easier process for players. (i'm talking things like AOE looting and guild perks etc)

• dmm02dmm02 Member UncommonPosts: 40

I wish there was a "none of the above" option on most of these categories.

• ChromeKnightChromeKnight Member Posts: 1

First off, let's be honest, here. DCUO should have been in "Best Hybrid MMO" category.

And as for "2011 Game of the Year"... WTF?

Why is DCUO, even on this list when there are so many BETTER games that aren't? Sure, it's a lot more fun that WoW or Rift, but there were FAR better games out there than DC. Even a niche game like STO is better, or Age of Conan, which beats DCUO in every department, except MAYBE graphics. Maybe. I might have said "the action based fighting", but the "finishers" and combos in AoC balance that out pretty well (they're also 2 entirely different systems). And this is coming from someone who has been playing DCUO since beta AND actually really likes it, lol. (despite SOE's management being one giant catastrophic failure). Just being realistic.

All I'm saying is, sure... put DCUO up there. It's a lot of fun. WoW and Rift choke, but people like them. I get that. But put up a lot of others too, because there are many that can compete here, let alone beat it senseless. I couldn't vote for any of those games as Game of the year. DCUO may be the best on that list, but is most certainly not the best game I've played in 2011.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Good choice to not include Swtor, im sick of it coming with $$$ and ridiculous 11 days stealing GOTY awards from companies who worked their asses off for 12 month. I regained some respect for this website.

I'm surprised to see WoW ranking so low. Despite screaming critics allover the year, Blizzard somehow always managed to get their share in these "...of the year" polls.

Rift fully deserves it's current status in the poll. Like Rift or not, we all share our load of criticism about that game, but if another two or three companies out there would be as busy about their games as Trion is, the genre wouldn't be stuck in such a misery for years (that yet eclipsed with swtor).

Not shure how TSW can be rising star before ArchAge, but it coming from Funcom i don't need to polish my crystal ball to predict it will be among the Top 3 for the "Falling Star Awards 2012".

Happy gaming in 2012 everyone!

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Agree with Chrome Knight... 2011 GOTY has several games that didn't come out in 2011 and leaves several out.... WTF?

Some of these polls are just... I dunno man... SMH.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• taulutussitaulutussi Member Posts: 37

Trion deserves GOTY for being such a likeable company and this being a very dry year for MMO's, but I feel that Glitch should definitely win the "Most Innovative" title.

• TotTWriterTotTWriter Member UncommonPosts: 54

Originally posted by taulutussi

I feel that Glitch should definitely win the "Most Innovative" title.

I agree. Out of all the MMOs in that list, it is the only one that really fits the definition of the word. it got my vote.

Reality Bites. I'm only Barking

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Good choice not including Swtor in 2011 pools.

I agree it is practtically 2012 game, so should be next year.

Though I wonder what Lotro does in GOTY category?

Like seriously?  This game is slowly moving towards it's end.

I wonder what are total votes number count? :p

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by BillMurphy

We stick by not including SWTOR, for the simple reason that it came out 11 days before the year was over.  It'll be nominated in 2012 no doubt.  But it simply was not out long enough in 2011 to be up for our GotY, no matter what other sites might have believed.

I can appreciate the logic in having SWTOR listed in other "2011" categories but excluding it from GotY.   So much for player's choice, right?

I wouldn't have minded the exclusion had you been consistent and kept it from the other category too.('2011 Most Anticipated" would be fine)  The "2011 Most Innovative" cateogory proves my point though.   Either it is a 2011 game and good enough to be counted or it isn't.  Picking and choosing shows that someone has an agenda...   

But hey, it's your game, your rules, your award... who am I, but a simple lowly player, to complain.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by Z3R01

With CCP falling all over it self this year with its PR stupidity RIFT deserves to win.

While RIFT isn't the most original game Trions seems to listen to its players and they deliver content at a good pace.

For most anticipated I picked GW2.

If Rift wins any award itsa sad day for MMO gaming as its a poorly executed shallow game, shame really as the the concept had real potential. I hope Trion learn from it so Defiance is a much better game.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Wormy's top 3 things that show how bad this last year sucked for mmos:

3) ArcheAche still has not had enough marketing in NA to be named the 'Rising Star' probably because they haven't even started to look at North America and few of you have heard of it.

2) Rift gets game of the year.  Nothing against it but really, its nothing special.  Compare that to general gamings game of the year of 2011, skyrim.  Thats a game that deserves a goty award.

.... and the number one thing that shows how bad this last year sucked for mmos is........

1) Rift, WoW, and SWTOR were among the 5 games up for being 'Most Innovative'.  Comically, these would be my choices for least innovative AAA mmos.  Together they have about 75% of the votes.  Somehow SWTOR is more innovative than WoW was, strange.  Fanboy votes, anyone?

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• HEKKRAHEKKRA Member UncommonPosts: 80

5v5 Arena Games aren't MMO's.

For the love of god. Stop fuckin signing it as MMO's. It's just disgusting. 

If those are MMO's, 1v1 SC2 games is MMO aswell since it has a couple 10 thousand playing it.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by wormywyrm

3) ArcheAche still has not had enough marketing in NA to be named the 'Rising Star' probably because they haven't even started to look at North America and few of you have heard of it.

2) Rift gets game of the year.  Nothing against it but really, its nothing special.  Compare that to general gamings game of the year of 2011, skyrim.  Thats a game that deserves a goty award.

.... and the number one thing that shows how bad this last year sucked for mmos is........

1) Rift, WoW, and SWTOR were among the 5 games up for being 'Most Innovative'.  Comically, these would be my choices for least innovative AAA mmos.  Together they have about 75% of the votes.  Somehow SWTOR is more innovative than WoW was, strange.  Fanboy votes, anyone?

How about players that think SW:TOR is innovative? but nah that cannot be there's alway a comspiracy isn't there, where's me tin hat.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

None of them are worth voting for, can we please have the option of none?

Also I laughed when I saw games like LoL and HoN being nominated for an MMO award, Counter Strike has more players are these MMOs too? Fucking next Single Player games will be nominated for MMO awards..........

Again this site is poorly run and a complete joke.

Originally posted by Calerxes

Originally posted by wormywyrm

How about players that think SW:TOR is innovative? but nah that cannot be there's alway a comspiracy isn't there, where's me tin hat.

Players voting for the game they are currently playing = comspiracy!!!11!

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by ChromeKnight

First off, let's be honest, here. DCUO should have been in "Best Hybrid MMO" category.

And as for "2011 Game of the Year"... WTF?

Why is DCUO, even on this list when there are so many BETTER games that aren't? Sure, it's a lot more fun that WoW or Rift, but there were FAR better games out there than DC. Even a niche game like STO is better, or Age of Conan, which beats DCUO in every department, except MAYBE graphics. Maybe. I might have said "the action based fighting", but the "finishers" and combos in AoC balance that out pretty well (they're also 2 entirely different systems). And this is coming from someone who has been playing DCUO since beta AND actually really likes it, lol. (despite SOE's management being one giant catastrophic failure). Just being realistic.

All I'm saying is, sure... put DCUO up there. It's a lot of fun. WoW and Rift choke, but people like them. I get that. But put up a lot of others too, because there are many that can compete here, let alone beat it senseless. I couldn't vote for any of those games as Game of the year. DCUO may be the best on that list, but is most certainly not the best game I've played in 2011.

reason i didnt vote on the category why vote something is bullshit just for the voting cause options sucks? not my cuppa

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by HEKKRA

5v5 Arena Games aren't MMO's.

For the love of god. Stop fuckin signing it as MMO's. It's just disgusting. 

If those are MMO's, 1v1 SC2 games is MMO aswell since it has a couple 10 thousand playing it.

Agreed.

MOBA's aren't more of an mmo than rts or fps games like SC2 or CoD / BF3.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Doesn't work, using firefox

• wvmaxfangvwwvmaxfangvw Member Posts: 22

Poll is so Broken!

Bloodlines Champions, Heros of Newerth and the king of them all League of Legends are MOBAs, not MMOs... I'm not sure what WoT would be? Multiplayer Online Combat Sim (MOCS)? List should have been more like Global Agenda, ABP Reloaded, and Fallen Earth maybe?

3 top picks for Most Inovative clones are a game that has been rehashing the same content and making up total BS out of desperation for 8 years and 2 games that devs will admit looked at the first and decided "if it's not broke, don't fix it". I voted for Glitch by default since I've never heard of it and but know DCUO for all the things it did wrong. The others don't even count imo.

TSW is my most anticipated in years and turning lots of heads in recent months. I voted for it as rising star although as an admitted FC Fanboy who's been following it since 09 it felt out of place lol

Gave GOTY to EVE simply it's the only one on the list that I might mourn if they pulled the plug tomorrow :-D

This discussion has been closed.